The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Miscellaneous Forums > New Members

Old 17 July 2008, 05:49 AM   #1
abuemily
Banned

Saludos from Spain

Brand new to the forum today, and already I'm going to call on your collective expertise and experience. I have a 1680 Red Submariner I purchased in '81, as well as a dress Rolex Oyster from late 50's: gold bezel/hands/indices/crown, white face and SS bracelet (don't know the model). I inherited that one from my father and it has been basically stored for the last 20 years--have never seen another like it, although I'm sure they exist. I will post pictures in the future so y'all can help with id'ing it.

The 1680 is kind of beat up after spending a few years with a younger brother. The crystal is chipped, the bezel spins freely, and the bracelet is pretty scratched up with the end links a bit twisted. The dial and hands still look good and the case is in pretty good shape. I want to send it off to be serviced and refurbished. Can you more knowledgeable types point me in the direction of a good shop to do the work? I was thinking of using Ken Sester at Golden Isles Watch Service, but don't have any experience with him.

Glad to be among some fellow watch/Rolex aficionados--I love watches, but have just started really learning about them. Thanks for your tips and advice in advance!
abuemily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2008, 10:18 AM   #2
mike
"TRF" Member

Welcome! Sounds like you have a couple wonderful vintage pieces. Please when you can post some photos.

As to your 1680 RED.

I'm not familiar with the gentleman you're refering to, but as it appears you are in Spain consider sending the watch to the closest Rolex Service Center.

Reasoning: With a reference of this type and value supporting paperwork is extremely valuable. None is better than a clean bill of health from the mothership.

Our European members can help me, but it's my understanding RSCs there are much more forgiving than those in the states. RSC will install a new crystal, crown, tube, seals,service and regulate.

About your bracelet...without a photo it's impossible to assess condition, but check the numbers on the link closest to the watch head. If it says 9315, I would keep it and explore have it re-habbed. These bracelets are getting rare.

You have a couple choices otherwise. Rolex will replace on an exchange basis or you can send the watch head only and they fit a current replacement 93150 with 580 endlinks.

In the states you would be looking at roughly $500 to 550 USD for service and $850 or so for a new bracelet (no exchange).

That's a lot, but consider the RED 1680 is highly sought after by collectors and is viewed by some as the enty watch to the "next level" in collecting. Current pricing is well into five figures with the ship headed north if the watch is in nice condition.

Good luck and again welcome.
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2008, 10:19 AM   #3
toph
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Brellum,
Ola,
welcome to TRF
I look forward to the photos

"Where no counsel is the people fall, but in the multitude of counselors there is safety."

Member No.# 11795
toph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2008, 12:56 AM   #4
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 SUBMARINER Patron

Watch: GMT's
Welcome to TRF..

Good luck with that Sub.......
Old 18 July 2008, 04:14 AM   #5
Jimbits76
"TRF" Member

Hola y Buenos Tardes.

Welcome to TRF.

There may be a couple of guys in the UK who might be able to help. Tylden Reed and Chris Heal. Google them, they come highly praised.

Jim
Jimbits76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2008, 04:53 AM   #6
abuemily
Banned

Thanks all for the welcome. Well, I've run into my first stumbling block. I called the RSC in NY thinking that I would have them service it, but they told me that they will NOT work on the 1680 Sub's with any Red writing on them, as they cannot replace the dials. So, they just send them back. Now I have to figure out where to go...any suggestions would be welcome.
abuemily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2008, 09:11 AM   #7
mike
"TRF" Member

I would still suggest the closest RSC to you. I'm not that well versed in RSCs in your part of the world, but I've heard nothing but good about the service centers in the UK.
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2008, 01:29 AM   #8
danielillo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Hola Abuemily, bienvenido a TRF!!!!

Si vives en Madrid, acércate o llama a Rolex España,
C/ Serrano 45 5º-A
Tel: 914 264 900

Son el Servicio Tecnico Oficial de Rolex en España y, seguramente podrán ayudarte.

Un saludo.
danielillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2008, 01:47 AM   #9
frostie
1,000,000th PostMember

Welcome to TRF

Enjoy your stay here and have a great time

GMT - Master II C - 116710 LN
frostie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2008, 10:15 PM   #10
ROLEX MAN
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member