The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 30 June 2017, 03:16 AM   #31
dave023
"TRF" Member

Watch: Classics
The Daytona and GMT are a perfect versatile couple.
dave023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2017, 03:23 AM   #32
sarjoo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave023 View Post
The Daytona and GMT are a perfect versatile couple.
Definately, they are so different to each other yet so obviously from the same stable.

I think the GMT pulls its weight admirably and holds its own, takes such a daily battering yet keeps on plowing on. I have become so used to the date function and cyclops now it feels odd when it's not there on the Daytona. The GMT was such a nice taster in to the Rolex range for me.
sarjoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2017, 05:17 AM   #33
brettpaul
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex and AP
Okay, I love my Daytona - so much that I recently turned down a BNIB AP Ceramic diver in favor of the Daytona...will add the Sky Dweller in blue when availability and funds allow....keep the Daytona if you love it!

BTW, scratches = character!
Old 30 June 2017, 05:24 AM   #34
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

I'm in the camp of waiting.....the Daytona is a great watch and you should continue to enjoy it as you have. The Sky Dweller is not an iconic design for Rolex and rather new....the fact that they made stainless versions most certainly has something to do with the sales in the PM sector for the line...definitely questionable if it'll continue being loved after the initial hype. After the hype dies a bit, you'd have more time to decide if you really want the watch and also have an easier time finding the watch/buying possibly below msrp.

My personal feelings for the watch is like others have said as well, it's not bad......but nothing spectacular. And certainly a large watch that fits a larger wrist IMO.....the Daytona is far more elegant and more versatile in most situations that's more timeless.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2017, 06:33 AM   #35
maton12
"TRF" Member

The Sky Dweller is Rolex's most complicated complication

You can try on a PM model for size and fit at your AD, knowing that the SS model will be a bit lighter

No doubt they are a chunk of watch, but I find the SS Daytona with steel bezel quite small and don't get the hype, despite the history, so would keep that until you get the call and flip for the Sky Dweller as sure you'll have little problem getting a good price for it
maton12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2017, 06:48 AM   #36
KBM
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

I would never flip a Daytona for a SkyD, but it's what YOU like that matters, and it seems like you've already made up your mind on the matter.

Flip away!
KBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2017, 07:06 AM   #37
sarjoo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kauebm View Post
I would never flip a Daytona for a SkyD, but it's what YOU like that matters, and it seems like you've already made up your mind on the matter.

Flip away!
In actual fact having created this thread and seen the various responses, all food for thought for which I am grateful to you all, i have actually come closer to the decision that the daytona has to stay, it'll be too sad to see it go if I really think about it, I would definitely miss it once gone, so its probably more appropriate to say this is now about deciding if I also need to add a SkyD to the collection, even though it won't be for a very long time for two reasons, the cost, and the availability.

As for the SkyD being technically an amazing watch with an amazing complication arrangement, it still isn't a daytona in terms of history, iconic status, or hype, call it what you will.

Having a daytona in a collection is a very fortunate position to be in, considering the costs and availability especially here in the UK, and it just needs to be used more, a lot more. Then time will tell what happens...whether it ultimately gets flipped or not.

Last edited by sarjoo; 30 June 2017 at 07:17 AM.. Reason: autocorrect grrr
Old 30 June 2017, 07:14 AM   #38
KBM
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarjoo View Post
In actual fact having created this thread and seen the various responses, all food for thought for which I am grateful to you all, i have actually come closer to the decision that the daytona has to stay, it'll be too sad to see it go if I really think about it, I would definitely miss it once gone, so its probably more appropriate to say this is now about deciding if I also need to add a SkyD to the collection, even though it won't be for a very long for two reasons, the cost, and the availability.

As for the SkyD being technically an amazing watch with an amazing complication arrangement, it still isn't a daytime in terms of history, iconic status, or hype, call it what you will.

Having a daytona in a collection is a very fortunate position to be in, considering the costs and availability especially here in the UK, and it just needs to be used more, a lot more. Then time will tell what happens...whether it ultimately gets flipped or not.
Great choice, to keep your Daytona. Now, you have to make yourself wear it. It's going to get scratches, but the watch is bulletproof and you will get indescribable enjoyment out of it.

Cheers!

KBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2017, 07:31 AM   #39
porschejeff
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 228238
Flip it if you don't wear the 116520. Preowned market for them is very high and a good time to unload it if you want the SD.
porschejeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2017, 07:32 AM   #40
Mr Cosmograph
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
I would keep the Daytona and wait for the SkyD and see how you feel when you get a chance to try it on. Also wear the Daytona a little more in the meantime to help you decide. The best option would probably be to addd to the collection (funds permitting of course).
Old 30 June 2017, 07:49 AM   #41
sarjoo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by porschejeff View Post
Flip it if you don't wear the 116520. Preowned market for them is very high and a good time to unload it if you want the SD.
Does anyone have any kind of indication how much (£) a mint with papers 2015/2016 116520 would fetch on the used market? It'd be good to know what kind of amount it'd contribute towards another watch.
Old 30 June 2017, 11:03 PM   #42
porschejeff
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 228238
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarjoo View Post
Does anyone have any kind of indication how much (£) a mint with papers 2015/2016 116520 would fetch on the used market? It'd be good to know what kind of amount it'd contribute towards another watch.
Check out the classifieds here on TRF.
porschejeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2017, 11:44 PM   #43
JP Chestnut
Banned

Watch: Rolex Ref 16600
Quote:
Originally Posted by porschejeff View Post
Check out the classifieds here on TRF.
He's in the U.K.

Check out watchfinder and places like that.
JP Chestnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2017, 12:37 AM   #44
sarjoo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Chestnut View Post
He's in the U.K.

Check out watchfinder and places like that.

I will keep an eye on watchfinder to gauge the worth of the watch but aren't their prices a bit over the top usually?!

Tags
daytona 116520 , skyd , skydweller