The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 29 September 2017, 08:57 AM   #31
Haywood_Milton
"TRF" Member

Watch: Military issue Sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildog View Post
Haywood - Perhaps your experience is representative of buyers who flip?
I don't think so. Almost all the ceramic Daytonas and BLNRs I've had, both the SD43s and about half of my D-Blues came from a broad cross-section of private sellers, some of whom felt that they, too, enjoyed "special relationships" with their AD. It seems to be the nature / thoroughness of the AD which determines a purchaser's experience, rather than the perceived bona fides of the latter.

This has been discussed in a number of massive threads on tz-uk and while some buyers have unquestionably managed to buy watches still in stickers and with tags -- and most, certainly, with warranty cards -- there is equally no question that sticker removal from the most desirable models has been widely implemented, that numbered white tag removal has more recently followed and that more than one main agent has independently decided to retain warranty cards.

H
*Comex:5513,5514,1665x2,16800x2,16600 *Mil sub:5517x2,5513x9,5512 *Submariner:6536/1x2,5508,5513 PCG u/line & double SWISS (America's Cup),5513 giltx2, 5513 m-firstx2,5513 gloss WGx2,1680 Red,1680 White Mk1 & Mk2 *Sea-Dweller:1665 DRSDx3,Great Whitex3 *GMT-Master:6542x2 (1 Bakelite),1675x8 (2 gilt), 16750 & SeaKing 116710LN *Explorer:1016x6 (1 gilt),5500x3,14270 Blackout, Orange 1655 x4 *Milgauss 1019x3 *Cosmo 6263 *RNCD DSSD 116660.
Haywood_Milton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2017, 12:17 PM   #32
Seanken
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildy View Post
I don't see the problem of the AD removing the stickers. I found it s rather tedious task. I only ever buy a watch to wear, never intending ever to sell.
I must be a strange cat. I love receiving a new Rolex in the coffin. Never disturbed except to verify the serial number. Then bring it home and by myself open and remove stickers an size it. All me and the watch.
Seanken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2017, 04:16 PM   #33
scubadiver1
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN,Omega SMP
When collecting my Sub C last year my AD asked if I wanted him to remove the stickers or leave them, I was buying the watch to wear so asked if he could do so which they kindly done, however still found the odd one here and there weeks after which was quite amusing. can only speak from my experience but my AD was happy either way
scubadiver1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2017, 09:16 PM   #34
mercman
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126660 D-Blue
I've purchased two watches in the U.K. in the last 6 weeks, the first I bought from a large chain (Aurum), I was given the watch with all the stickers, tags etc, no questions asked. The second watch was from an individual dealer, he apologised as he removed the stickers stating that it was Rolex policy, he also retained the swing tag, again stating that it's Rolex policy that the retailer retain these.
mercman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2017, 10:18 PM   #35
Mini2
"TRF" Member

Regarding warranty cards what happens if the business goes bust or go missing. When do you get your warranty card or do thy keep it forever with the money you paid for the watch.

How things are going I'm surprised they even let you leave with the watch and insist they look after it for the first year and even give you the option to let them wear it for the forsable future just INCASE you come to flip the watch.

Reminds me of the days when importing a car from Europe worked out cheaper than buying in the U.K. I.e a Toyota but got informed by a franchised dealer that they could not service the car due to it being a "grey import" but when pointed out that all vehicles are being imported from Asia and coming of the same production line how can you have that stance.

Personally Rolex could ease this so simply and put more supply into the markets which require them however they want best of both worlds high demand and limited supply to create the interest.

Someone once mentioned if watches were readily available would they have the same attraction no because a lot of people like what others don't have
Mini2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2017, 10:28 PM   #36
SpeedyTuomas
"TRF" Member

If my AD would retain the papers or any other part of a watch I fully own, I would have my lawyer make a call. Complete nonsense, it's not a lease and you can do whatever you want with it.
SpeedyTuomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2017, 10:47 PM   #37
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Not much point taking off stickers now, I see WF have non stickered over 1 years old for £15K. Only knocks 1-2K off price even for a private sale, still an easy 33% profit to be had.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2017, 04:24 AM   #38
Davyo
"TRF" Member

I bought a BLNR recently and the AD removed all the stickers which he mentioned before payment which was fine, however when I got home they had removed the cord from the white tag and cut the geen cord from the hologram tag!!
Why??
Davyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2017, 05:00 AM   #39
Rolex fan 61
"TRF" Member

Not from Fraser Hart
Rolex fan 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2017, 05:13 AM   #40
Quicksilver
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing watches
Quote:
Originally Posted by adg31 View Post
Strange, I always thought that transfer of title went with payment for goods under U.K. Law. After which transfer the new owner could do as they pleased with their property stickers and all if I've just paid my money for them...
Even for the mighty Crown!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is correct. Once the item is paid for in full under UK law title in the goods passes to the purchaser absolutely. From that point on the purchaser can do what he wants with it - sell it, wear it or chuck it in the dustbin. It's entirely up to him. If withholding the guarantee card prevents the purchaser from dealing with his property as he sees fit, including selling it, then I dont see that Rolex have a leg to stand on.
Old 30 September 2017, 05:39 AM   #41
harvey
"TRF" Member

I bought the LVc in March and SD43 in June. Both cases I requested stickers to be left on. With the SD43 they requested to keep the warranty card for a year...not a problem as I don't sell any watches.
harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2017, 09:44 AM   #42
Davyo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex fan 61 View Post
Not from Fraser Hart
No
WOS
Davyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2017, 11:11 AM   #43
RXAPPP
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5
Yes, happened with my GMT purchase last month.. very strange but hey ho
RXAPPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2017, 12:29 PM   #44
RaymondAZ
Banned

Watch: DSSD
I was in my AD here in the USA. Scottsdale, Arizona inquiring about the new Sea-dweller and was told by him that he was told by Rolex to remove the stickers on this and certain others models and that "We don't want to see one of your watches on the internet for resale"

I even said: "So if Bill Gates walked in and wanted to buy your entire inventory cash but wanted the stickers left on this watch would you do it" and I was told "Nope, not risking pissing off Rolex HQ"
RaymondAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2017, 01:15 PM   #45
VicLeChic
Banned

Watch: YM 116622 - SD43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macnavara View Post
If Rolex really cared about flipping why on earth dont they just supply enough watches to meet the demand....end of problem
Maybe because they think it would flood the market and push prices down in the preowned market. As a result more people would stop buying at ADs and go to cheaper non official retailers instead, which is what Rolex want to avoid because they make no money out of someone buying preowned.
VicLeChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2017, 03:15 AM   #46
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Mouse
If an AD insisted on removing the stickers, I would not go ahead with the sale. I'm not completely petulant; I would play their silly game but do it my way and tell them I'm taking the stickers off MY watch but would sit down and do it in front of them. If they were ok with that, happy days. I wouldn't be so compromising if they pulled a stunt like that after the transaction though.

I would not allow them to hold my warranty card. If they gave me an agreement that if there was an issue with my watch that required a visit to RSC then they would hand deliver my warranty card to me at home then I might relent. Other than that, they could do one and I'd take my business elsewhere.

"Why should you allow an AD to shake you down, just so you can buy a watch" - Grady Philpott
Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Ruud Van Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2017, 03:17 AM   #47
ericmli825
"TRF" Member

But if you’re wearing the model, I don’t see the big deal of AD removing stickers. You’re going to remove it eventually anyway

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ericmli825 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2017, 03:23 AM   #48
A.I.
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LV
My AD was going to leave the stickers on and I asked them to take them off for me which they were quite happy to do.

No hold back on warranty card just a polite request not to flip too quickly.
A.I. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2017, 03:30 AM   #49
Swiss Mad!
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
The stickers were removed from my Sub by the AD when purchased in March of this year, but they didn't want to retain the warranty card, however, there is an AD in Leeds that does retain the card for 12months!
Swiss Mad! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2017, 04:39 AM   #50
terrywoods
"TRF" Member

I once paid for my watch and the AD tricked me after I'd paid said he wanted the watch to take a link out, without warning the watch cams back minus all the stickers made him refund my card or I call the police as he had no right to remove the stickers with no warning
terrywoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2017, 06:55 AM   #51
A.I.
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrywoods View Post
I once paid for my watch and the AD tricked me after I'd paid said he wanted the watch to take a link out, without warning the watch cams back minus all the stickers made him refund my card or I call the police as he had no right to remove the stickers with no warning
Really?

WOW.

A.I. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2017, 12:59 PM   #52
Chuckwagon
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seiko,Casio,Rolex
When I bought my Rolex submariner 7 years ago the AD removed the side stickers at the same time as adjusting the bracelet to fit my wrist but the caseback sticker was left on.

When it went in for service last year it came back with nice stripey side stickers as I posted in my previous thread.

When I accidentally dinged the case side, Rolex London kindly offered me a refurb-only service to polish out the ding for £50 and returned it again with nice stripey stickers
Chuckwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2017, 08:53 PM   #53
Kieranrd
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV
When I bought my Sub in back in June at an AD in Ireland, I asked them to remove the stickers as I bought it to wear it.
They did however inform me that policy was to retain the warranty card for 6 months.
I did not get the white/green numbered tag.
Kieranrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2017, 08:59 PM   #54
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Mouse
Taking this to a different level, I’m just wondering how those of us (me being one) who take umbridge with the AD removing the stickers would react if buying a new car and the dealer didn’t remove the protective plastics from the bodywork of the car and it’s interior.

"Why should you allow an AD to shake you down, just so you can buy a watch" - Grady Philpott
Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Ruud Van Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2017, 09:41 PM   #55
kultschar
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP & Rolex
I honestly could not care less if an AD removed the stickers unless I was planning / wanted to flip the watch.

I mean if its that big a deal ask him for a tumbler of scotch and tell him you will take them off yourself in front of him while you slowly relax sipping your drink

Only scenario where it would be a pain is if maybe its a future gift for somebody else or wether you want to stash it in the safe for 25 years (though the latter will prob still be seen as a flipper in the eyes of a AD)
kultschar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2017, 09:52 PM   #56
peterskinner
"TRF" Member

My partner bought an Oyster Perpetual and complained that not all stickers had been removed. She thought that careless. The whole issue only matters to profiteers.
peterskinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2017, 02:00 AM   #57
Thunderbird88
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16713 & 116610LV
Picked my Hulk up today from my AD here in Sweden.
Stickers still on, and they kept nothing. As it should be.
Thunderbird88 is offline   Reply With Quote