The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 23 October 2008, 11:44 PM   #1
jim946
"TRF" Member

I can't make a decision!!!

I have come down to two models (not sure on face colors though).

I'm going crazy over here. I like the classiness of the DayJust, SS, white face, either bezel, either bracelet. I also like the Submariner, SS, black face.

The Sub seems better for everyday use, but the DayJust is so classy looking. Both are just over $5k USD. I would love the Day Just II, but even the White Gold is over my budget.

I currently have a Movado that I wear to work with white face with Roman numerals. The DayJust would look very similar, but much much much nicer watch. I like the look of my Movado so I know I would like the DayJust, but it would be similar to what I already have. I can't image I would ever wear the Movado again once I purchase a Rolex so it would replace the Movado.

The Sub, however, I would wear everyday even outside of work.

I can't take it anymore. I don't want to buy both. I'm the kind of person that likes having one of something. I would rather have a more expensive Rolex than two lesser expensive ones. I attached a picture of the Movado. I love the look, very classy. Very similar looking to the DayJust that I like to the untrained eye. Since I wouldn't wear the Movado anymore it would be a perfect replacement, but the Sub would get more use.

Anyone else have this much difficulty selecting their time piece?

Thanks.... pictures of similar watches being worn with different attire would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 081023_094926.jpg (32.3 KB, 126 views)
jim946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2008, 11:47 PM   #2
toph
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Brellum,
tough decision, but go with what feels right to you- both are great watches but teh

Date Just ( not DayJust) is a more dressy watch in my opinion, the sub is suitable for smart, casual , anything really Tough choice. But seing as you have a Movado, then maybe the sub

Welcome to TRF

"Where no counsel is the people fall, but in the multitude of counselors there is safety."

Member No.# 11795
toph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2008, 11:52 PM   #3
eric23
"TRF" Member

I would say get whatever one looks the best on your wrist! They are both nice watches.

The Sub will have a better resale value. If that makes a diffrence.
eric23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2008, 12:00 AM   #4
lorsban
"TRF" Member

Well, either option is good, if you ask me. I like to figure out pro's and con's of each option when I have two more or less equal options.

Sub:

Pro's
1. Will get more use like you said, therefore, more bang for the buck.
2. Different from your Movado, which means you'll have more variety.

Con's
1. It's not as dressy.

Datejust:

Pro's
1. It's an excellent upgrade to your Movado.
2. It's dressier/classier looking.

Con's
1. You'll have two watches with similar styling which means one of them will be no more than a paperweight. (but you could sell it)
2. It's not as casual? Which means this'll get less wrist time than the Sub, which means less bang for the buck.

I don't know what else to put on there but personally, I'd go with the Sub because I like variety and also because my money will go farther with it since I'll get more use out of it.

Just an opinion, of course.

Don't worry though because again, they're both great and if you find you like the other one better, you can always sell what you have to get it with just a small addition in cash (probably).
lorsban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2008, 12:10 AM   #5
jim946
"TRF" Member

These are my favorite model/configurations that I'm trying to decide from.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hr_958.jpg (156.1 KB, 115 views)
File Type: jpg hr_1032.jpg (128.4 KB, 115 views)
File Type: jpg hr_956.jpg (151.6 KB, 115 views)
File Type: jpg RLX3955.jpg (115.8 KB, 114 views)
Old 24 October 2008, 01:04 AM   #6
llamaofdoom

Sub Date. You'll be much happier in the long run.
llamaofdoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2008, 01:15 AM   #7
sea-dweller
"TRF" Member

Both are great. IMHO, the new DJ's are very nice. Buy the one you like and a year later, you will end up buying the other one !
TRF Member #6699 (since September 2007)
sea-dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2008, 01:17 AM   #8
jim946
"TRF" Member

What can I expect to pay at than AD for a new Sub? I live near Boston which I'm sure has ADs, and I will be going to Ft Lauderdale and Miami in February. I can wait if there are less expensive in FL.

I do want an actual AD because I wouldn't know if I was looking at counterfeit watch. I prefer new to used also.

Thanks.
Old 24 October 2008, 01:39 AM   #9
rolex_addict
"TRF" Member

it a no brainer for me! Sub date all the way :)
rolex_addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2008, 01:46 AM   #10
timetravel125
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
I would say, whatever floats your boat! Both are good choices, to my eyes and taste.

It is your hard earned money, so you deserve to make the choice, IMHO. Buy what makes you happy and you'll sleep better!

Cheers.
timetravel125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2008, 01:50 AM   #11
SLS
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT's & Sub's
Go with the Sub, that way you will have a watch for almost every ocassion.
Scott

Member No. 922
SLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2008, 01:51 AM   #12
adr
"TRF" Member

Go watch some James Bond classic...
adr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2008, 01:59 AM   #13
Latrodectus
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-Master II
not easy. Wait a few more days, read more and look at some more pictures. What you like best than, buy! Welcome to TRF!!!

Member # 16057
4-Hands Club
Tosser Club Member
TRF Skypers Group
Latrodectus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2008, 02:57 AM   #14
mldaytona
"TRF" Member

Watch: me go all out
Easy desicion. Get the Sub.
mldaytona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2008, 03:01 AM   #15
moby33
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Omega/Seiko
No contest - Sub Date. And forget the AD...buy LNIB from a TRF member and save hundreds of $$$ on the exact same watch....yes, that is VERY self-serving, but I just couldn't help it. Good luck...cheers!!!
moby33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2008, 03:10 AM   #16
jim946
"TRF" Member

"And forget the AD...buy LNIB from a TRF member and save hundreds of $$$ on the exact same watch."

What is "LNIB"?

Thanks
Old 24 October 2008, 03:10 AM   #17
jim946
"TRF" Member

"And forget the AD...buy LNIB from a TRF member and save hundreds of $$$ on the exact same watch."

What is "LNIB"?

Thanks
Old 24 October 2008, 03:24 AM   #18
moby33
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Omega/Seiko
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim946 View Post

What is "LNIB"?

Thanks
Like New in Box. A 'used' watch w/ everything included (box, papers, warranty cards, ect.) that is pretty much brand new except the plastic has been removed and it's got a little wrist time. Cheers!
moby33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2008, 03:32 AM   #19
cody p
"TRF" Member

Watch: Air-King 114200
move over movado, here comes a rolex...you can't go wrong with any of those choices! personally, i like the black DJ with red date.
cody p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2008, 03:35 AM   #20
Brunotheboxer
Banned

Watch: 16610,PAM. 111, G
Sub date, but I am heavily biased.
Brunotheboxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2008, 04:45 AM   #21
jim946
"TRF" Member

I think I'm going to get the Sub. A local AD has one 16610 SS w/ Date that they will sell me BNIB for $5,400.

I checked out the "For Sale" Form and there are some on there for $5,250 from members. I would buy from a member but I would need to save $1,000 to buy from someone other than a dealer.

I've read Jewelers are hurting right now and are willing to sell for anything. They told me that the list is $6,000 for the SS Black and $6,400 for the Anniversary with Green Belzel. She couldn't give me an exact price on the phone as they aren't suppose to discount, but upon talking directly they are willing to discount 10-15% for certain models.

I'll buy new from a dealer for $5,400 before buying from someone else for $5,250.

Is the only difference with the Anniversary the serial number and a green bezel? I'm not a collector so I don't see the $400 premium worth green over black. Just a different color as far as I'm concerned.
Old 24 October 2008, 04:48 AM   #22
Brunotheboxer
Banned

Watch: 16610,PAM. 111, G
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim946 View Post
I think I'm going to get the Sub. A local AD has one 16610 SS w/ Date that they will sell me BNIB for $5,400.

I checked out the "For Sale" Form and there are some on there for $5,250 from members. I would buy from a member but I would need to save $1,000 to buy from someone other than a dealer.

I've read Jewelers are hurting right now and are willing to sell for anything. They told me that the list is $6,000 for the SS Black and $6,400 for the Anniversary with Green Belzel. She couldn't give me an exact price on the phone as they aren't suppose to discount, but upon talking directly they are willing to discount 10-15% for certain models.

I'll buy new from a dealer for $5,400 before buying from someone else for $5,250.

Is the only difference with the Anniversary the serial number and a green bezel? I'm not a collector so I don't see the $400 premium worth green over black. Just a different color as far as I'm concerned.
For me no, because I dont like the green. The LV also has the maxi-dial.
Brunotheboxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2008, 05:01 AM   #23
Greenring
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them
In your shoes, I would pick the sub, as previously stated, you'll have one dress and one everyday watch. I think you'll find the Movado will spend more time in the drawer than on your wrist. Eventually you will get the bug to acquire the DJ. I also like the black dial with red date.
You took the time to find and post to this forum. Chances are you've been infected with Rolexitius and will continue to acquire different models in time. These things are like potato chips, you can't have just one.
Greenring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2008, 05:40 AM   #24
Quicksilver
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing watches
Jim - its a very difficult call. I had the same call but fortunately I was in a position to go for both - and you may have both at some point in the future.

You certainly have to try them on and see which "smiles" the most. If you like the Sub Date I would say go for it because it might only be available in its current and very classic form for another year or so (Rolex will be upgrading it soon and, in the view of many but not all, it wont be the same again). The Sub is also very different to the Movado.

The DJ is undoubtedly as beautiful a watch as the Sub. My choice if you go for the DJ is the ss fluted bezel with silver stick dial - absolutely classic Rolex.

Its your call - whichever you go for you will have a watch that you will love.

Good luck