The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 12 March 2018, 03:56 AM   #1
MesaSean
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126711CHNR
Icon7 My brand new Datejust II & Coke Bezel GMT Master II 16710T.

Hey folks! New member but long time lurker. I have always been a Breitling guy in watch collecting, but about 6 months ago I caught the Rolex bug really bad. Watching so many videos, reading so many articles and really doing my homework……..I fell in love with the brand. I finally understood why I caught the bug. So much heritage, craftsmanship, quality, built like tanks etc. For me it has nothing to do with status. I look at the watches and think of how much went into building them.

Well I had my heart set on a GMT master II (new or old), but I really gravitated towards the 16710 with the red coke bezel. I found one at a local shop (AD), but it was beat to hell and no papers. Would have needed a new bezel, major polishing and a massive overhaul.

However when I was looking ay the beaten up GMT 16710 coke bezel at the AD, I fell in love with the white face Datejust II and walked out with it. Once I tried it on, it just felt right. Just a stunning piece, loved the size, weight and center polished links. I do like the newer GMT Master II’s and of course the BLNR’s, but that will have to wait a while.

But I was still on a quest for a GMT Master II 16710 with the coke bezel. After looking at so many online, I found one in excellent condition at a Jeweler with box and papers. 3185 movement, excellent condition and love it! The bracelet is a bit loose and I prefer the newer GMT clasps but I like how it feels slightly “vintage” lol The watch fits my wrist really well. Papers say it was from he mid 2000’s with a Z serial number and has all the service papers from Rolex when it was serviced in 2011. Nice weight to it, but lighter than my date just II obviously.

Anyway, just wanted to introduce myself, say hello and here are some pictures of the new acquisitions.

Cheers!

For a bunch more pictures click here:
https://mesasean.imgur.com/all/
MesaSean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2018, 04:20 AM   #2
Easy E
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Very nice pair.
Easy E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2018, 04:37 AM   #3
GMT Aviator

That a really nice couple of watches you have there. I have the same ones in my collection.
The Coke 16710 is a fabulous watch and to my eye at least, nicer than the Pepsi. The white dial DJ2 is stunning. No longer made of course, so make sure you hang onto it.
Despite some saying the DJ2 won’t appreciate like other Rolex because it’s a Datejust, I think that view is incorrect. It’s probably the only Datejust that will eventually start gaining in value as tine goes by.
GMT Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2018, 04:48 AM   #4
madgpol
"TRF" Member

Welcome and congrats Sean. Nice pair
madgpol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2018, 04:50 AM   #5
thomaswentworth
Banned

Watch: Rolex 116610 Sub
Super nice combo!!! Congratulations
thomaswentworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2018, 06:17 AM   #6
MesaSean
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMT Aviator View Post
That a really nice couple of watches you have there. I have the same ones in my collection.
The Coke 16710 is a fabulous watch and to my eye at least, nicer than the Pepsi. The white dial DJ2 is stunning. No longer made of course, so make sure you hang onto it.
Despite some saying the DJ2 won’t appreciate like other Rolex because it’s a Datejust, I think that view is incorrect. It’s probably the only Datejust that will eventually start gaining in value as tine goes by.
Thanks! It's hard for me not to like any of the GMT's. Pepsi, BLNR, black....I love them all but the coke grabbed me the most.

Same with the DJ2. They had other colors but when I put the white one on, it just looked amazing. I was shocked as I thought I was a total dive/sports watch guy, but it looked and felt fantastic. I did not know they stopped making them. Which year did they stop making the white dial DJ2?

Thanks again everyone.
Old 12 March 2018, 06:34 AM   #7
GMT Aviator

They finally stopped making them last year, may have been 2016, not sure, but few remain brand new and unworn with stickers. The DJ41 replaces it, leaving the most youthful and sporty looking Datejust ever made, consigned to the history books.
GMT Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2018, 06:35 AM   #8
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Congrats!!!
Old 12 March 2018, 06:36 AM   #9
MesaSean
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMT Aviator View Post
They finally stopped making them last year, may have been 2016, not sure, but few remain brand new and unworn with stickers. The DJ41 replaces it, leaving the most youthful and sporty looking Datejust ever made, consigned to the history books.
Wow, thanks. Would be interesting to see if this model appreciates in value. I guess time will tell.