The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 5 November 2008, 11:16 PM   #1
tcd_psp

New Sub Ceramic

When do you reckon we'l be seeing the next SS sub w/ the ceramic, maxi, super case upgrade as with the gmt actually make it into the flesh and then dealers?

with this, do you think the SS will have a crazy wait list and would it be worth putting a deposit down soon to be one of the first in line?

cheers

c
tcd_psp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2008, 12:18 AM   #2
Texsubmariner
"TRF" Member

Watch: SSGMTc
With the GMTc introduction as a guide, the SS ceramic sub will probably be introduced at Basel 2010, or Basel 2009 if we are lucky.
Wife's SS WG MOP Ladies DJ Z series
Texsubmariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2008, 01:15 AM   #3
Z-Sub
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Not a ONEWatch Man
I will wait until it's widely available like the GMT-iiC
TT Blue Submariner "P"
SS GMT-Master ll "M", Pepsi
Pam 311, 524, 297
Z-Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2008, 01:21 AM   #4
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 SUBMARINER Patron

Watch: GMT's
It's possible in '09... But I don't think that the SS version will be unveiled until 2010.

Here is my reasoning..

The White Gold was a new release and is just showing up in the Dealers.. If a SS version is released too soon, the exclusivity of the WG will be gone... nobody will buy it because the frenzy for the SS will overshadow the other models..

That, and we have not seen a TT model yet... if they go by their usual routine, they will release a TT before a SS model.

This means that a SS ceramic model won't even show up at a Dealer until late 2010, or 2011....

As far as a deposit....I don't know if anybody would take a deposit on a watch that hasn't even been produced yet...
Old 6 November 2008, 01:22 AM   #5
Eli

Yep. No reason to be first in line and pay over msrp.

I believe 09 will be the year of the SS Sub... Don't forget the YG Sub is out and widely availible already....
Eli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2008, 01:32 AM   #6
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Well speaking for myself you can keep the so called super case and ceramic bezel insert.Lets have a completely new movement to power the sub,and not one with just a added parachrome hairspring.The most important thing with any watch is the engine and not superficial cosmetic changes The 3135 now has been around for almost 20 years,but how do you improve on a almost perfect engine.Perhaps a bearing winding rotor, and a bigger power reserve. Now that would be more of a improvement,than any slight case or cosmetic ceramic bezel.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2008, 01:36 AM   #7
wantonebad
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: 126600, 116500LN
Larry know's all!!!

Heard this exact same time-line from an AD who's been selling Rolex for 35 years. The sub will sell regardless and while the people in the know are waiting for the upgrade we'll consider other models that have already been given the new clasp and a ceramic bezel

<<<EDITED TO ADD>>>

Oooh padi56, I agree upgrade the movement!! now we're talking, I wouldn't trade up my 16613 for a new clasp or ceramic but I would to get a state of the art movement.

The Co-Ax from Omega has a 60 hour power reserve????? Why not Rolly????
wantonebad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2008, 01:56 AM   #8
Jimbits76
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Well speaking for myself you can keep the so called super case and ceramic bezel insert.Lets have a completely new movement to power the sub,and not one with just a added parachrome hairspring.The most important thing with any watch is the engine and not superficial cosmetic changes The 3135 now has been around for almost 20 years,but how do you improve on a almost perfect engine.Perhaps a bearing winding rotor, and a bigger power reserve. Now that would be more of a improvement,than any slight case or cosmetic ceramic bezel.
X2...great post!

J
Jimbits76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2008, 02:58 AM   #9
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wantonebad View Post
Larry know's all!!!

Heard this exact same time-line from an AD who's been selling Rolex for 35 years. The sub will sell regardless and while the people in the know are waiting for the upgrade we'll consider other models that have already been given the new clasp and a ceramic bezel

<<<EDITED TO ADD>>>

Oooh padi56, I agree upgrade the movement!! now we're talking, I wouldn't trade up my 16613 for a new clasp or ceramic but I would to get a state of the art movement.

The Co-Ax from Omega has a 60 hour power reserve????? Why not Rolly????
Well the George Daniels Co-Ax escapement its been available to the market for 20 plus years George Daniels had attempted to introduce his escapement to the Swiss industry.Omega,Patek,Piguet,Zenith and even Rolex had prototypes in 1986 and 1989. There are many reasons why these companies entertained Daniels and many reasons why they decided to pass on the escapement. It seems to me that in the main it was an issue of expense to re-tool and develop the escapement for already built series. And that it was an unknown quantity, which was made in one-offs for the connoisseur,to try but my opinion main reason simply because it was not Swiss.Now the escapement needed to be oiled correctly to work 100% and many of the watch industry did not follow Daniels instructions to the letter.And most did not follow his advice for the VPH (vibrations per hour).Now when Patek decided to try his escapement three wristwatch sized prototypes were made.

These drawings were discussed and Daniels saw one big stumbling block, the proportion of the extra driving wheel. Patek rejected his notion, even to the face of Daniels the guy who invented it,and Patek provided the movement prototype.By 1982 his prototype was cased and dialled from the Patek factory. He says he gave the watch daily use for twelve years, when the self winding mechanism failed,properly form lack of maintenance it was not serviced to test the effectiveness of the escapement over a 10-12 year period, the Daniels escapement functioned perfectly.The Patek analysis was quite critical and the prime fault was in the gears, which Daniels had mentioned, at the beginning of the project. But glad now Omega has the Daniels escapement.IMHO the Daniels escapement horology speaking is one of the most important thing to happen with watches over the last 150 years but not a Swiss invention IMHO thats why its not so widely used.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2008, 03:07 AM   #10
f16570
"TRF" Member

Watch: Exp II White Face
We will have to wait and see. 2010 methinks.
Old 6 November 2008, 03:17 AM   #11
wantonebad
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: 126600, 116500LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Well the George Daniels Co-Ax escapement its been available to the market for 20 plus years George Daniels had attempted to introduce his escapement to the Swiss industry.Omega,Patek,Piguet,Zenith and even Rolex had prototypes in 1986 and 1989. There are many reasons why these companies entertained Daniels and many reasons why they decided to pass on the escapement. It seems to me that in the main it was an issue of expense to re-tool and develop the escapement for already built series. And that it was an unknown quantity, which was made in one-offs for the connoisseur,to try but my opinion main reason simply because it was not Swiss.Now the escapement needed to be oiled correctly to work 100% and many of the watch industry did not follow Daniels instructions to the letter.And most did not follow his advice for the VPH (vibrations per hour).Now when Patek decided to try his escapement three wristwatch sized prototypes were made.

These drawings were discussed and Daniels saw one big stumbling block, the proportion of the extra driving wheel. Patek rejected his notion, even to the face of Daniels the guy who invented it,and Patek provided the movement prototype.By 1982 his prototype was cased and dialled from the Patek factory. He says he gave the watch daily use for twelve years, when the self winding mechanism failed,properly form lack of maintenance it was not serviced to test the effectiveness of the escapement over a 10-12 year period, the Daniels escapement functioned perfectly.The Patek analysis was quite critical and the prime fault was in the gears, which Daniels had mentioned, at the beginning of the project. But glad now Omega has the Daniels escapement.IMHO the Daniels escapement horology speaking is one of the most important thing to happen with watches over the last 150 years but not a Swiss invention IMHO thats why its not so widely used.

Thank you for the history!! Good info!!
wantonebad is offline   Reply With Quote