The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 6 July 2018, 06:43 AM   #1
3sheets86
"TRF" Member

2 Questions.....

How much tweaking does a model get before Rolex alter the reference? Would they just update the movement and keep the same reference number or would that warrant a model number change?

Secondly, what's the average lifespan of a Rolex model using the same reference number?
3sheets86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2018, 07:17 AM   #2
kauffee
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LN, 116500LN
If you're asking about modern 6-digit Rolex, I can't think of an example of a significant change or update without changing reference number. A change in movement will definitely change the reference number, as witnessed by the 31XX movements switching over to the 32XX movements. Though these are usually accompanied by some cosmetic changes, too. (e.g. new DSSDs, and TT DJ36)

Now I've read that Rolex might make slight tweaks to the movements without changing the reference number of the movement or the watch. Apparently the 4130 Daytona movement had some slight upgrades over the years.

5-digit and earlier is a different ballgame.
kauffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2018, 07:25 AM   #3
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

the biggest change w/o a model number change i can think of is the explorer. The 3/6/9 changed and the hands changed. IMO it totally changed the look of the watch so to me it was not minor at all.

Movement changes are automatic reference number changes i assume (different movement and not tweaks to existing ones).
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote