The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 4 October 2018, 01:43 AM   #31
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

It's just a mass produced watch, no need to compromise.

Love timepieces and want to become a Watchmaker? Rolex has a sensational school.
www.RolexWatchmakingTrainingCenter.com/

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2018, 01:52 AM   #32
azs.77
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, Panerai
You’ll eventually end up getting the watch that you actually want.

Save yourself the time and effort and $ loss. Be patient and get the watch you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
azs.77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2018, 02:24 AM   #33
2nastie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Time Only
For a relatively obtainable model, you never compromise. Just wait it out. Waiting is half the battle and the half fun. The thrill of the chase!

The Daytona C (unless you are already on a waiting list, etc. at an AD) is probably the only model I would compromise on. Either getting via a grey if I really wanted one or find a different watch.
2nastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2018, 02:38 AM   #34
t65tampa
"TRF" Member

If you compromise on something like a luxury item, you'll be less likely to be happy in the long run. I've experienced that with cars as well as watches in the past. I learned the hard way.
Old 4 October 2018, 03:19 AM   #35
joli160
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
A little compromise is fine imho. I would be equally happy with a blue dial SkyD in SS, though my favourite is the white. Just depends on how badly you want the exact same configuration
Old 4 October 2018, 03:44 AM   #36
ap1
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Agree with the guys, hold out. That said, do as I say - not as I do. Guilty more than a few times
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2018, 03:50 AM   #37
red1108nyc
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
It’s yes or no and no “maybe” so no compromise
red1108nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2018, 04:01 AM   #38
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by melkyor2701 View Post
My wife is about to offer me my first Rolex for my birthday.
I have visited a few AD in London and it is very difficult to get the exact model you wish.
So I was wondering if you guys are willing to "compromise" when buying a Rolex such as:

- the blue dial would be your first choice but they only have it available in black which would normally be your second choice. You take the black available or you wait for the blue?
- you would prefer fluted bezel but you can do with smooth bezel and save £1500. You wait to have the money available or you compromise and chose the cheaper option (which you still like but slightly less)
- the AD have your perfect combination in size 36, which is fine on your wrist, but if you could choose, you'll go for the 41. You leave with the 36 or you wait for the 41.
.....etc....etc....

So do you compromise with a version you still like very much or you wait (money or time) for the "perfect" Rolex?

I have also noticed that 6 months ago I would have chosen a black dial and I now prefer the blue one or even Rhodium. Things change when you are a novice (as mentioned, I dont own a Rolex yet).

If your wife is involved in the process please don't compromise and wait for the perfect one...otherwise, that opens an entirely different can of worms if she knows you "settle"
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2018, 04:19 AM   #39
subprimero
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060
Research it and see the watches in person. Don't rush. Your tastes WILL change as you learn. Changing your mind is free. Selling a watch you no longer want is not.
subprimero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2018, 04:21 AM   #40
Sal_UKSheffield
"TRF" Member

Buy smart buy once... wait for what u really want. Its not hard to get the variant you want HL brown in sheffield had the exact configuration you want in the window this past weekend
Sal_UKSheffield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2018, 04:22 AM   #41
MorganB
"TRF" Member

Wait

For most consumers a luxury watch is a once in a lifetime purchase. I would always suggest to never settle. If you are considering "settling" I would walk away and think for a little while. You may end up liking the domed bezel more than the fluted, but it isn't something you want to buy impulsively and then regret it.
MorganB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2018, 04:23 AM   #42
MorganB
"TRF" Member

Love what someone else said "your taste will change as you learn"
MorganB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2018, 04:23 AM   #43
BVLDARI
"TRF" Member

I would not compromise - but this is a personal decision. A lot of people are happy with something that's close but I personally would never be happy so I would rather wait.
BVLDARI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2018, 04:28 AM   #44
KenV
"TRF" Member

I would not compromise. My wife and I bought a used Lexus when it was time to replace our car. We would have liked white or blue, but we took a green one. Man, for the next 12 years we always said it was a great car, but not a colour that we liked. We finally replaced it with a blue Z4 :)
KenV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2018, 05:07 AM   #45
lilokito
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II BLNR
wait for that perfect watch you want and don't compromise on anything. looks like you like a 41 DJ blue fluted bezel! I don't think this watch is that rare the wait wouldn't be that long. buy the exact configuration you like or you'll end up staring at someone else's wrist with your preferred configuration if you compromise even a little.
lilokito is offline   Reply With Quote