The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 4 October 2018, 05:43 AM   #61
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderwoman View Post
Hi guys! I'm looking to get a new SS Daytona for my husband's 40th birthday and I'm encountering a lot of issues with authorized dealers in local area. Even jewelers I've bought Rolexes from in the past (and granted, I'm not a huge buyer) have told me that they aren't taking names. My father worked with one store in NYC many years ago to acquire his Rolexes, and I've been told they'll put me on their waitlist but it's many years long. Another dealer I called says they've taken full deposits from three customers and don't know when they'll be able to fill their orders. I've even been told that simple watches like steel Subs are difficult to get.

I know there is high demand for the SS Daytona but this sounds really ridiculous. In the past, my name has come up on the waitlist and I've been offered ones within 3 to 6 months even from jewelers I've never purchased anything with, but I've always had to decline for various life reasons. Is this just a new occurrence or are they selling me BS?

And while I'm at it, are there ADs that anyone can recommend who won't give me the runaround? Just trying to get my husband a watch on his wishlist especially when he's been so supportive the past few years with my school and career. Thanks!

A quick forum search would show you it's legitimate. I tend to lean towards thinking posts like yours from new posters tend to be reps from other brands pushing an agenda idea (in this case can't get a Rolex).

One comment I'd mention is that just because they in the past have said 3 to 6 months, in reality there's no telling if you would've actually received the watch. This is an old ploy to get you to put a deposit down and or use your purchase money in a conversion to store credit when that watch doesn't come in or takes longer than you prefer. You're going to have to buy pre-owned at a premium or a PM Daytona. Or perhaps one of the "more simple" Rolex watches ....
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2018, 05:47 AM   #62
SG56
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: SD4K
When you walk in and ask them,

they tell you

Science fiction, second floor :)
Yacht-Master 268622 - the chick version
Speedy Mitsukoshi <3
Tag Heuer Aquaracer WAF141C.BA0824 - the chick version

Thank you logan5tx!!! Have to link it. Too long for the signature.
https://www.rolexforums.com/showpost...0&postcount=14
SG56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2018, 07:16 AM   #63
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Welcome to this form and there are plenty of Daytona SS available. Figure around $21,000. Albert is a great guy and very trustworthy. Here's a link so you can get one and he'll next day ship it to you so you could have it on Friday :)

https://www.europeanwatch.com/rolex.html

It's wonderful that you love your husband that you're getting him this great watch. Don't let price get in the way because your love is more important, especially for such a wonderful occasion.

Love timepieces and want to become a Watchmaker? Rolex has a sensational school.
www.RolexWatchmakingTrainingCenter.com/

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2018, 07:47 AM   #64
Boba Fett
"TRF" Member

Watch: Star Wars
OP stated she doesn't want to go grey, rtft (read the ducking thread). I always think with the Daytona the price of grey SS is amusing compared to the pm AD. For a little more you can get a PM Daytona than a SS grey Daytona, or you can sit on a waitlist for many years.
Fwiw a friend of mine did get a SS from an AD in ceramic a year ago but he was on the list pre ceramic, he had no purchase history.
Boba Fett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2018, 07:51 AM   #65
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boba Fett View Post
OP stated she doesn't want to go grey, rtft (read the ducking thread)..
We did, she obviously needs a reality check. I'm sure she really loves her husband so doesn't mind paying more because this is such an important event in his life. He has been supportive of her school and career, so a true wife that loves her husband would go to any lengths to get him what he wants :-)

Love timepieces and want to become a Watchmaker? Rolex has a sensational school.
www.RolexWatchmakingTrainingCenter.com/

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2018, 08:13 AM   #66
katiedaddy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Hey guys (I assume most of you are guys and apologize if that’s not the case), it’s not that my husband must have it and it’s the only thing he’ll take. It’s just a watch we saw ten years ago and liked and it’s been on the someday list.

I do know that the SS Daytona has always had a waitlist. I’ve actually been offered it three times between 2012 and 2017, but between kids, time off from work, and business school, it wasn’t money I wanted to spend. So, I know for a fact I’ve been able to get off dealer lists in the past without a history even. But now, guys at Lenkersdorfer, L&B, and wempe, whom I’ve bought rolexes from in the past are saying it’s not possible to even put me on a wait list which was surprising to hear.

I don’t want to buy in the grey market. I want the paperwork and warranty to be correct. I’m not concerned about authenticity - that’s just sending my watch to Rolex for servicing and having them accept it. Honestly I also don’t feel like feeding that market on principle.

And no, I don’t want to buy watches that I don’t want hoping that someone might sell it to me because obviously the folks I’ve bought from have said no dice. I’m not opposed to doing a twofer with an AP for him but ADs that carry both have told me that any AP that I want is boutique only. Anyway, I appreciate all the feedback and will update you in about a year or two if I get one.
I know for a fact Lenkersdorfer and its sister stores won't take a name in real waitlist as they have too many big spenders. I know because a friend of mine is a sales associate there. You will have better luck at Finks long as you will buy something else on top.
katiedaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2018, 10:00 AM   #67
904VT
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boba Fett View Post
OP stated she doesn't want to go grey, rtft (read the ducking thread). I always think with the Daytona the price of grey SS is amusing compared to the pm AD. For a little more you can get a PM Daytona than a SS grey Daytona, or you can sit on a waitlist for many years.
Fwiw a friend of mine did get a SS from an AD in ceramic a year ago but he was on the list pre ceramic, he had no purchase history.
I'd like a McLaren F1 at 1995 pricing. That's also not gonna happen.
Old 4 October 2018, 10:15 AM   #68
Juantxo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nektar View Post
Get a two tone daytona !!!!
Great and sensible suggestion. Paying a gray dealer $10,000 extra for a steel Daytona... makes no sense, to put it mildly.
Juantxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2018, 01:35 PM   #69
Double Barrel
Banned

Love has no price. I would go the grey route. If you really love your husband, there should be no other option IMO
Double Barrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2018, 01:38 PM   #70
egprelude
"TRF" Member

Good Luck!!
egprelude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2018, 01:42 PM   #71
tom2517
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 904VT View Post

Actually after the dot com bust in 2000 I saw several F1s selling for 600k.
tom2517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2018, 02:09 PM   #72
007_Omega
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
Worst time to get a Daytona is now. You can get one at certain ADs, without a relationship, if you buy jewelry and/or a very expensive ladies model watch (or potentially a President). You'll end up taking a hit that is pretty much like buying the Daytona on the grey market if not more.

Most people who get them on this forum had a relationship with an AD prior to the steel sports watch crisis.

Grey Market dealers simply buy the stock in bulk, taking unwanted models with the rare models, and that's how they end up with all the desirable models. Essentially, they are an AD's best customer.
007_Omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2018, 11:39 PM   #73
904VT
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom2517 View Post

Actually after the dot com bust in 2000 I saw several F1s selling for 600k.
Wish I would have had 600k back then
Old 5 October 2018, 01:15 AM   #74
kauffee
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LN, 116500LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007_Omega View Post
Grey Market dealers simply buy the stock in bulk, taking unwanted models with the rare models, and that's how they end up with all the desirable models. Essentially, they are an AD's best customer.
People say this, but when I look on the websites of DavidSW, takuya, SohAIS, justrolexes, etc I don't see piles of diamond-dial two-tone Datejusts. In fact, most of those sellers have predominantly sports models. So I'm not sure this generalization holds up.
kauffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2018, 01:48 AM   #75
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
Quote:
Wish I would have had 600k back then
The last few to change hands recently have all been $20M+!
ArtNouveau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2018, 02:05 AM   #76
Wonderwoman
"TRF" Member

Thanks for your welcome and advice everyone. I'm still in the building; just have a pretty demanding day job to afford nice watches for my husband.

It's great that the grey dealers can provide full paperwork. That is a factor. However, I'm pretty sure I'll go on the waitlist and just wait out the craze. It strikes me that Rolex is creating an artificial inequilibrium in the market by throttling supply but more than that, I feel the market price of $20K+ is above the value of an SS Daytona (don't flame me!). My husband is not a big watch collector or into big trends. He gives me style preferences and I pick for him so not like the wait will kill him.

Also at that price, I'd rather throw in another 5 to 10k and get a Patek, which is what I did at a dealer who was kind enough not to laugh at me when I asked about the SS Daytona. I put in an order for a 5296G since he does need a boardroom/tuxedo watch and was allocated one of their time travel aquanauts for the coming year. And no, I'm not a Patek brand rep. I work in the tech/vc industry :)
Wonderwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2018, 02:14 AM   #77
superstarmar
Banned

Watch: my wrist presence
Quote:
Thanks for your welcome and advice everyone. I'm still in the building; just have a pretty demanding day job to afford nice watches for my husband.

It's great that the grey dealers can provide full paperwork. That is a factor. However, I'm pretty sure I'll go on the waitlist and just wait out the craze. It strikes me that Rolex is creating an artificial inequilibrium in the market by throttling supply but more than that, I feel the market price of $20K+ is above the value of an SS Daytona (don't flame me!). My husband is not a big watch collector or into big trends. He gives me style preferences and I pick for him so not like the wait will kill him.

Also at that price, I'd rather throw in another 5 to 10k and get a Patek, which is what I did at a dealer who was kind enough not to laugh at me when I asked about the SS Daytona. I put in an order for a 5296G since he does need a boardroom/tuxedo watch and was allocated one of their time travel aquanauts for the coming year. And no, I'm not a Patek brand rep. I work in the tech/vc industry :)
Nice reference but a little too dressy for me for a daily...
Hope all goes well...
superstarmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2018, 02:30 AM   #78
Wonderwoman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superstarmar View Post
Nice reference but a little too dressy for me for a daily...
Hope all goes well...
Totally fair, but his daily is the 14060m. It's nice and understated and doesn't raise too many eyebrows at work.
Old 5 October 2018, 02:57 AM   #79
79280_116520
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I feel the market price of $20K+ is above the value of an SS Daytona (don't flame me!).

Also at that price, I'd rather throw in another 5 to 10k and get a Patek, which is what I did at a dealer who was kind enough not to laugh at me when I asked about the SS Daytona. I put in an order for a 5296G since he does need a boardroom/tuxedo watch and was allocated one of their time travel aquanauts for the coming year.
At least you didn't order the 5711 Nautilus, the grey market prices are $20k+ (new Daytona) over MSRP.
79280_116520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2018, 03:05 AM   #80
Wonderwoman
"TRF" Member

Yeah, I was told that and that Patek is playing the same game. It seems silly. No matter how you spin it, basic economics says that you lose money by holding onto inventory that the masses will buy while alienating future long term buyers who move onto other styles and brands. The only people who are really benefiting from this seem to be grey market dealers and flippers, who as one poster above mentioned, are the ADs' best customers by volume.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79280_116520 View Post
At least you didn't order the 5711 Nautilus, the grey market prices are $20k+ (new Daytona) over MSRP.
Old 5 October 2018, 03:20 AM   #81
BVLDARI
"TRF" Member

I've heard that one way to climb up on the Daytona list is to buy some PM Pateks...
BVLDARI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2018, 03:34 AM   #82
kolarn
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Never have truer words been said!!!
kolarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2018, 03:51 AM   #83
ecdc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
If you're offered one, ask for two. I'll also take an F1 at circa 1995 prices!
ecdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2018, 04:03 AM   #84
101031-28
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1665
I am going to add my 2c to previous comments by saying that if I were you, I'd go on a long wait list or buckle up and pay the premium from Trusted Seller (I am sure they can provide you a piece with open card to fill in with your husband's name and/or a date).

Ian Fleming
101031-28 is offline   Reply With Quote