The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 8 October 2018, 02:13 AM   #1
gateswiss
"TRF" Member

size impression with dial and bezel

Hello there,

This is my first post here but I've been reading a lot, really a lot, too much without figuring out which DJ (my first Rolex) I'm going to get for Christmas.

The model is clear, it is going to be a date just, the color too going to be a black one. I say this at this time but I've several times changed my mind during the last 2 month. I'm almost tired of my self of thinking and evaluting which model exactly is going to be mine.

My hardest issue is to decide whether I should go 36 mm or 41 mm. My wrist size is 7, it seems to me that is the "worst" size coz the 41 mm look quite big on it and the 36 quite small.

I've been visiting almost all the Rolex point in my country and there are a lot of stores. Although they don't have many model in stock and I'have try quite a lot of models and variation.

I really like the 36 mm looks classy and classic but I'm afraid that would regret it. Same feeling if I take a 41mm.

My idea is to get the dial and the bezel that make the watch looks the biggest on a 36mm or the dial and the bezel that makes the look of the watch the smallest.

Here are my assumptions : clear dial (white or grey) and flutted bezel and jubilee bracelet make the watch look bigger on the opposite and so for the 41 mm black dial smooth bezel and not sure about the bracelet make the watch look smaller.

Could you please confirm it from your point of view. I hope this will make me decide my self can't wait to have on this beauty on my wrist.

Also do you agree about my opinion that 7 wrist is tough size to choose between a 41 and a 36mm ?

Thank you
gateswiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2018, 02:28 AM   #2
DoctorA
"TRF" Member

Welcome to the forum
The 41mm isn’t actually 41, it’s a bit smaller. And there’s a trend for “bigger” watches. 36 is too small imho so even for a 7” wrist I would go 41
Old 8 October 2018, 02:40 AM   #3
Brew
"TRF" Member

I have a 7" wrist. I thought the 41mm fit, but looked too big. I went with a TT 36 with a jubilee bracelet. It is a remarkably comfortable watch.
Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2018, 02:41 AM   #4
littleolemoi
"TRF" Member

From photos of the DJ 36 that I've sen here vs my husband's DJ 36 I've noticed one thing that makes a DJ appear larger which may help you?!

My husband's DJ has a smooth bezel and Blue dial. The photos I've seen that has the fluted bezel seems to appear larger and as others have said on other threads the White dial also makes the 36 look larger as well.

Regardless try on what looks best for you and make that decision that will make you the happiest

Good luck with your decision!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
littleolemoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2018, 02:51 AM   #5
Mephist
"TRF" Member

I would go 36mm fluted bezel and jubilee. Ryan Gosling wears 34mm Rolex. The 36mm is perfect and the trend of bigger watches is finally reversing also. So try on the 36mm and 41mm again and see what one YOU really like yourself the most, and if none of them, go for something else. 39mm oyster perpetual or Explorer I maybe?
Old 8 October 2018, 02:54 AM   #6
zengineer
"TRF" Member

I think you have it all figured out, don't be afraid of a smaller watch. 36 is not tiny even on a large wrist.

I also think white wears larger than black all things being equal. I have no fluted bezel experience but they always seemed to be dressier than smooth to me purely based on pictures.

If you can live without a date, a 39mm black Oyster Perpetual solves the size dilemma.

But as pointed out the 41 is really 39ish. Regardless, try one on because the numbers are just numbers.

http://bezelandbarrel.com/datejust-41-vs-36-tough-call/

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
zengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2018, 02:59 AM   #7
DahMan
Banned

DJ41 Fluted, comes in at 39.5, 7.25 wrist. Remarkably fits perfectly Oyster, without removal of any links. I would figure any bigger wrist will require more links. Has the jub bracelet, required the removal is of one link
DahMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2018, 03:16 AM   #8
samson66
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
For a 7" wrist definitely go with the 41. It measures I think 39.5 mm which would work much better with your wrist size than a 36. I think a true 41mm DJII would be even better
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2018, 03:23 AM   #9
gateswiss
"TRF" Member

Thank you all for the kind advices. Have tried the new 39 OP which looked amazingly attractive on pictures but after I tried I didn't really like the external part of the dial. Have tried the OP36mm in steel dial It was quite gorgeous. Not absolutely certain but I think I may go the 36 mm with jubilee and roulette dial (very keen of this option which is not available on 41).

The other point that don't help is also that my wife prefer the 41 mm and the dealers says that 41mm look better on me coz I'm quite beefy (large shoulders thank to my swimming session).

The one that attract the most my attention is the one attach.

It's smooth bezel so make it look smaller no ?

Last question is the black the most classic one ? don't see a many people going for the black nowadays
Attached Images
File Type: png Capture d’ιcran 2018-10-07 ΰ 19.22.50.png (205.3 KB, 422 views)
Old 8 October 2018, 04:14 AM   #10
aurenas
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gateswiss View Post
Hello there,

This is my first post here but I've been reading a lot, really a lot, too much without figuring out which DJ (my first Rolex) I'm going to get for Christmas.

The model is clear, it is going to be a date just, the color too going to be a black one. I say this at this time but I've several times changed my mind during the last 2 month. I'm almost tired of my self of thinking and evaluting which model exactly is going to be mine.

My hardest issue is to decide whether I should go 36 mm or 41 mm. My wrist size is 7, it seems to me that is the "worst" size coz the 41 mm look quite big on it and the 36 quite small.

I've been visiting almost all the Rolex point in my country and there are a lot of stores. Although they don't have many model in stock and I'have try quite a lot of models and variation.

I really like the 36 mm looks classy and classic but I'm afraid that would regret it. Same feeling if I take a 41mm.

My idea is to get the dial and the bezel that make the watch looks the biggest on a 36mm or the dial and the bezel that makes the look of the watch the smallest.

Here are my assumptions : clear dial (white or grey) and flutted bezel and jubilee bracelet make the watch look bigger on the opposite and so for the 41 mm black dial smooth bezel and not sure about the bracelet make the watch look smaller.

Could you please confirm it from your point of view. I hope this will make me decide my self can't wait to have on this beauty on my wrist.

Also do you agree about my opinion that 7 wrist is tough size to choose between a 41 and a 36mm ?

Thank you
I was in my AD other day and tried 41 and 36with flutten bezel and jubilee. I have ±6.75 inch wrist. And 41 fit my wrist perfectly. 36 looked IMO too small. So if i would be you i would go with 41

Instagram watchauren
aurenas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2018, 04:53 AM   #11
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
I have a 7" flat wrist and the DJ41 is a perfect fit IMO.
Chadridv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2018, 04:57 AM   #12
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
Chadridv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2018, 05:10 AM   #13
DahMan
Banned

Yes it is^
DahMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2018, 05:34 AM   #14
Skyrider01
2024 Pledge Member

The 41 on my 7" wrist. For me, I find it a better fit than the 36.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2577.jpg (128.0 KB, 343 views)
Skyrider01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2018, 05:37 AM   #15
R G
Banned

A lot of these threads occurring right now where people think the DJ41 is on the larger size yet the DJ36 is too small.

I know your dilemma too well. Even now, after I chose the DJ41, I think from time to time that I may have picked the wrong size, but then I visit an AD and it reiterates why I chose the 41 over the 36.

I hate having the choice, personally. Strange as I typically know what I want, yet when it comes to watches, if I’m given choice, I go in to meltdown.

Based on what you’ve just asked, if you go for a 36, get an oyster bracelet and a lighter face dial - these elements give the watch a larger look.

For the 41, of you want it to appear smaller, go for the jubilee and a darker face - like the blue that everyone raves about.

Here’s what I went for. 6.75 wrist.

R G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2018, 05:45 AM   #16
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
If I were you, I would do a Date-Just 41 configured with a black dial, fluted bezel, and Jubilee bracelet. The size will work fine, and you'll get the latest upgrades, including caliber 3235 inside the case and Easylink in the clasp.
AEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2018, 05:48 AM   #17
eltonbalch
"TRF" Member

I have a 7” wrist and owned two DJ 36mm watches. I sold both and stick with 40mm which seems like a sweet spot for me. One useful trick is to put each size on and then look at yourself in a mirror to see how the watch appears to others. I think you’ll find the DJ 41 will be your choice.
eltonbalch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2018, 06:19 AM   #18
DP63
"TRF" Member

Watch: 18078
Well, just to stir things up, I am waiting for my 36, white dial, Roman, with domed bezel and jubilee to arrive at my AD .... it only ever felt small when I first tried it on while my 44mm PAM sat on the tray at the AD .... the next time I tried it on I had my SD with me and it actually felt fine on my 7.5 wrist.

My reasons were to add a dress watch to my collection and to replace my first Rolex from way back when though, and I still have the SD for work and the OP39 for my every day watch, so my watch is an addition to a collection as opposed to a one and only.

For what its worth .... I felt the 36 on jubilee sat very well on my wrist as I wear my watches a little loose, add the jubilee, and it simply looked "right" compared with the oyster which in my opinion made the 36 look/feel slightly smaller.

I also have a thing about being able to see some of the bracelet on my wrist with a dress watch these days instead of the lugs of the watch covering my wrist from top to bottom (if that makes sense), so the 36 ticked all of the boxes.

Good luck with your decision ... at the end of the day, none of your choices will be a bad one ... these watches are timeless.
DP63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2018, 06:21 AM   #19
R G
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DP63 View Post
Well, just to stir things up, I am waiting for my 36, white dial, Roman, with domed bezel and jubilee to arrive at my AD .... it only ever felt small when I first tried it on while my 44mm PAM sat on the tray at the AD .... the next time I tried it on I had my SD with me and it actually felt fine on my 7.5 wrist.

My reasons were to add a dress watch to my collection and to replace my first Rolex from way back when though, and I still have the SD for work and the OP39 for my every day watch, so my watch is an addition to a collection as opposed to a one and only.

For what its worth .... I felt the 36 on jubilee sat very well on my wrist as I wear my watches a little loose, add the jubilee, and it simply looked "right" compared with the oyster which in my opinion made the 36 look/feel slightly smaller.

I also have a thing about being able to see some of the bracelet on my wrist with a dress watch these days instead of the lugs of the watch covering my wrist from top to bottom (if that makes sense), so the 36 ticked all of the boxes.

Good luck with your decision ... at the end of the day, none of your choices will be a bad one ... these watches are timeless.

Well said.
R G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2018, 06:46 AM   #20
Seibei
Banned

Watch: 114060
41, amigo. Also, don't buy because you have to have it this Christmas. Buy because you are 100% sure that this is the exact watch you want. These watches are too expensive to buy if you are unsure.

I didn't get my first Rolex because it was some special occasion like my birthday. I got it because I was sure of what I wanted.
Seibei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2018, 07:08 AM   #21
Snow-Dweller
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: collections change
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEC View Post
If I were you, I would do a Date-Just 41 configured with a black dial, fluted bezel, and Jubilee bracelet. The size will work fine, and you'll get the latest upgrades, including caliber 3235 inside the case and Easylink in the clasp.
This is good advice. Imho the easylink is essential, and why not have the newest movement.

16803. 16570. 18038. 114300. GMW-B5000D.
Snow-Dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2018, 12:29 AM   #22
gateswiss
"TRF" Member

Thank you for your comments.

36 vs 41 is like blonde vs brunette or ketchup vs Mayo. It changes almost at every post. I have making progress anyway by the fact that I realise that I feel quite reluctant every time someone push me on the 41 version and I feel conforted when someone give some credit to the 36.

In some aspects I like to be under the radar and the DJ 36 offers soI think I'm going for it.

Sunday I will go to a rolex shop for the sevienth time I guess I'm a pain in the neck for the dealers :-)

Wish a good day.
Old 9 October 2018, 12:35 AM   #23
Pw92676
"TRF" Member

I’d suggest trying both on and instead of looking down directly at your wrist, look into a mirror at 10 feet away or so. If the 41 looks too big from across the room, go 36. If not, get 41 :)

We did this when getting my wife’s DJ (comparing 36 vs smaller) and thought it was helpful.
Pw92676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2018, 01:22 AM   #24
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
I've always felt that the fluted bezel makes the watch look slightly larger, as opposed to the smooth. There is nothing scientific about that whatsoever, just a casual observation.

So...you might try the smooth option on the 41 and compare to the fluted bezel on the 36 and see what you think. Good luck,
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2018, 11:13 PM   #25
gateswiss
"TRF" Member

Some news after my latest visit in a Rolex shop in bern yesterday. I asked to see what they’ve got in 36. While the dealer was taking a dJ white dial and a silver one, I just noticed a white grape op in 36 and requested her to bring it to the table.

After I gave it a try, I have to say that this op was almost the perfect match gorgeous dial in white grape a shake between elegance and vintage and the oyster bracelet doomed on the op looked much better to me than the shiny oyster of the dj.

But what was very interesting, was the size perception ! When the 36 dj looked small on my wrist and the 41 too big the 36 op looked almost perfect like it was a 37 or 38.

This version has been added in my top 3 short list as long with the steel dial version and the black dj 36 jubile smooth bezel roulette dial.

I’m getting closer I hope
Attached Images
File Type: jpg op36.jpg (54.5 KB, 123 views)
File Type: jpg op36whitegrape.jpg (68.9 KB, 124 views)