The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 21 June 2019, 11:33 PM   #1
Porsche-ah
"TRF" Member

Watch: and learn!
Rolex Service Canada I call BS: Strange question about SPRING BARS for Day Date...

I'm pretty sure that all same size Day Dates 36mm, 40mm and 41 respectively use the exact same spring bars (Stainless ones)

Please correct me if I'm wrong...

Long story short Rolex Canada screwed up my watch by switching out one of my Tritum hands (Hour hand) to Luminova because they must have damaged it during service... Suffice to say they didn't
disclose this to me when I got it back and I noticed one glowing hand after playing outside in the sun with my daughter.

Anyhow brought it back and they told me they would replace all the hands to match in a few business days. I'm not a vintage kinda guy so that was all fine and good with me.

5 (FIVE!) weeks later! After no call backs and the run around they tell me it took so long because there was an issue with the 12 o'clock spring bar. They don't see Platinum day dates very often so they don't have stock and had to special order form Geneva! Hence the 5 week turnaround time... I call complete total BS. How do you not have stock of such a common part? I have rolex spring bars at home I could have given to them! Or just give me back the watch I'll put the bracelet on myself.

And I quote "If we kept stock all the parts for all the watches we would have a tower of them"
So yeah if they kept stock of itsy bitsy tiny spring bars they would burst from overstock...

What do you guys think?
Old 21 June 2019, 11:47 PM   #2
watchmaker
TechXpert

Doesn’t sound impossible to me. Not everywhere has every part for every watch at every time. Stock runs out, even in Switzerland. There is shipping and customs to account for, as well as delays stemming from the fact that yours is not the only watch they are repairing.

Not what you will want to hear, but my advice is relax. It’s only a few weeks.
watchmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2019, 11:59 PM   #3
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche-ah View Post
I'm pretty sure that all same size Day Dates 36mm, 40mm and 41 respectively use the exact same spring bars (Stainless ones)

Please correct me if I'm wrong...

Long story short Rolex Canada screwed up my watch by switching out one of my Tritum hands (Hour hand) to Luminova because they must have damaged it during service... Suffice to say they didn't
disclose this to me when I got it back and I noticed one glowing hand after playing outside in the sun with my daughter.

Anyhow brought it back and they told me they would replace all the hands to match in a few business days. I'm not a vintage kinda guy so that was all fine and good with me.

5 (FIVE!) weeks later! After no call backs and the run around they tell me it took so long because there was an issue with the 12 o'clock spring bar. They don't see Platinum day dates very often so they don't have stock and had to special order form Geneva! Hence the 5 week turnaround time... I call complete total BS. How do you not have stock of such a common part? I have rolex spring bars at home I could have given to them! Or just give me back the watch I'll put the bracelet on myself.

And I quote "If we kept stock all the parts for all the watches we would have a tower of them"
So yeah if they kept stock of itsy bitsy tiny spring bars they would burst from overstock...

What do you guys think?
On the solid DD platinum watches the spring-bars will be platinum, on gold DD 18Ct gold. So not itsy bitsy like you put it and especially the platinum ones unlikely to be many kept in stock.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2019, 12:21 AM   #4
iheartrolexx
Banned

i think op is a bit overreacting. it's possible
iheartrolexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2019, 01:15 AM   #5
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
On the solid DD platinum watches the spring-bars will be platinum, on gold DD 18Ct gold. So not itsy bitsy like you put it and especially the platinum ones unlikely to be many kept in stock.
No Peter, the solid platinum watches have WG springbars.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2019, 01:16 AM   #6
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartrolexx View Post
i think op is a bit overreacting. it's possible
On the springbar issue, yes, but the hand would piss me off as well.
Old 22 June 2019, 01:50 AM   #7
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
Well I new they would not be SS, but still made from a precious metal, suppose Platinum would be more costly to produce, as far less platinum watches are sold compared with gold.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2019, 03:08 AM   #8
pepsiretail
Banned

The surprise hand replacement would bother me, better to tell you upon pick up. After that, yes, perhaps you could benefit from a Snickers?
pepsiretail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2019, 03:37 AM   #9
F1polesitter
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Learn something new everyday.

But isn't 18kt gold softer than SS and therefore render the spring bars less secure?

Not that I've heard any stories of DD bracelet disconnecting, but just curious.

Last edited by F1polesitter; 22 June 2019 at 03:37 AM.. Reason: typo
F1polesitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2019, 03:43 AM   #10
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Misplaced frustration,

The delay for returning the watch because the correct part was unavailable is plausible

The coverup for damaging the hour hand and then replacing without telling the OP ...is inexcusable and imho something to rant about.
Old 22 June 2019, 03:49 AM   #11
Richard Carver
"TRF" Member

What Peter said about PM springbars is correct. I like the one glowing hand. :) It's your watch, it has a story to tell, you were playing with your daughter when you noticed it. :)

I would smile every time I saw it but I'm a 'vintage kind of guy' and enjoy such things. It's just a watch. :)
Richard Carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2019, 04:08 AM   #12
Porsche-ah
"TRF" Member

Hi all thanks for the responses. Didn't know the spring bar was WG or PT. Learn something new everyday.

I just gave the short story... There is a lot more to it.
They originally told me a few days and it has turned into 5 weeks. They only told me today that it was a spring bar issue. For the last 4.5 weeks it was we'll call you back with no call backs. Or there is a timing issue... But today they told me it wasn't a timing issue it was the spring bar... Never got a straight answer I was always chasing them instead of them calling me back. The customer service part is what upsets me.

2 weeks ago they said it was ready to go and they would call me to pick it up after the weekend. Week later it's a timing issue. This week it's sorry it wasn't a timing issue it was a spring bar.

They could have told me from the start it was the spring bar and it'll take a few weeks vs a few business days. IDK I'm just glad I'm getting the watch back today.

I'm not as mad as you all think I am hahaha. I just want RSC to improve their communication and customer service.
Old 22 June 2019, 04:11 AM   #13
Porsche-ah
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchmaker View Post
Doesn’t sound impossible to me. Not everywhere has every part for every watch at every time. Stock runs out, even in Switzerland. There is shipping and customs to account for, as well as delays stemming from the fact that yours is not the only watch they are repairing.

Not what you will want to hear, but my advice is relax. It’s only a few weeks.
I would be totally fine if they communicated this to me from the start. Not on the day I pick up the watch. I've spoken to them 4 times and this was never communicated to me.
Because they screwed up my serciving they told me they would expedite the service right away ahead of all (Since I already paid in full) and have it back to me in a few days.
Old 22 June 2019, 04:21 AM   #14
Gibby88
"TRF" Member

Your springbars are the same material as the watch head so the lug holes do not get excessive wear. If you put stainless instead of gold the holes would erode away and get larger as the SS is harder. Assume it’s the same for platinum.
Gibby88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2019, 04:24 AM   #15
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1polesitter View Post
Learn something new everyday.

But isn't 18kt gold softer than SS and therefore render the spring bars less secure?

Not that I've heard any stories of DD bracelet disconnecting, but just curious.
Yes but that difference in strength is negligible.

On platinum watches the tube (also tubes for daytona pushers), bracelet screws, springbars and pusher screws on the inside are all made of WG.

On YG watches and RG watches the tubes and springbars are made of YG.
Old 22 June 2019, 04:25 AM   #16
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibby88 View Post
Your springbars are the same material as the watch head so the lug holes do not get excessive wear. If you put stainless instead of gold the holes would erode away and get larger as the SS is harder. Assume it’s the same for platinum.
This is incorrect. Do not post your assumptions as facts, thank you.
Old 22 June 2019, 04:56 AM   #17
miamiclay
2024 Pledge Member

I understood that the DD spring bars are steel (for strength) plated with gold (so the harder steel will not “waller out” the lug holes). But if that’s wrong, I’m happy to learn ...
miamiclay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2019, 07:33 AM   #18
WatchLurv
Banned

Watch: Swiss
Rolex feels like they dont need to tell you anything, nor do you deserve an explanation. No one has been able to tell them anything except for what they tell themselves.
WatchLurv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2019, 08:01 AM   #19
F1polesitter
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yes but that difference in strength is negligible.

On platinum watches the tube (also tubes for daytona pushers), bracelet screws, springbars and pusher screws on the inside are all made of WG.

On YG watches and RG watches the tubes and springbars are made of YG.
Awesome. Thanks for the explanation Bas.
F1polesitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2019, 06:24 PM   #20
SearChart
TechXpert

Backing up my post.

Old 23 June 2019, 08:13 AM   #21
sigguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: SeaDweller
Great info Bas; always appreciate reading your contributions.
sigguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2019, 01:39 PM   #22
Flybak
"TRF" Member

Watch: Enthusiast
Bas, thanks a lot for the insights!
Flybak is offline   Reply With Quote