The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 6 October 2018, 02:20 AM   #31
2nastie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Time Only
And before further members jump into the frenzy of which AD is which (since there are only 4 in Vancouver including the Boutique) the OP needs to provide a bit more context than just posting his/her first post and then disappearing.

I've had interactions with all ADs (many pleasant... one let's just say was a waste of time) in the past several months, I haven't heard about non refundable deposits (could be something new) but definitely not above MSRP. That would be a huge no-no.
2nastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2018, 02:32 AM   #32
rogerlu
"TRF" Member

I was at a Tudor AD last weekend for the Black Bay 58. The AD, too, wanted 50% deposit, which I had no problem with. However, I did not like that they do not have a delivery date and the 50% deposit is not refundable. I walked.
rogerlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2018, 02:56 AM   #33
ian.thomas
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

The non-refundable deposit is BS, but isn't it the ADs right to charge whatever they want? MSRP is just suggested retail price.

You're asking me how a watch works. For now, let’s just keep an eye on the time.
ian.thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2018, 03:05 AM   #34
F1polesitter
"TRF" Member

Very interesting to find out which AD it is. Though I have a suspicion I know which one already.
F1polesitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2018, 03:07 AM   #35
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorA View Post
That’s crazy! It’s happening at a number of countries now! So much for trying to stop gray market!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
well he wont be able to flip it w/o a huge loss... so it would actually work for a sub.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2018, 04:40 AM   #36
DoctorA
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
well he wont be able to flip it w/o a huge loss... so it would actually work for a sub.
But to who’s benefit is this? If we end up getting the watches for a premium anyway then it’s only the AD who’s benifoting and now talk about lists. Plus the whole point of MSRP is to stop grey market so if you combine them both and call it an “AD” then I don’t care about naming if I still can’t get my watch or have to pay a high premium for it!!
Old 6 October 2018, 04:50 AM   #37
CoveWatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & AP
Not sure if the mark up is allowed in Canada, certainly is not allowed here in the US, but that coupled with the non refundable deposit? No thanks. They don’t seem to be worth building a relationship with
CoveWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2018, 05:02 AM   #38
flyingtiger85
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub Date
I don't think the non-refundable deposit is that big of a deal. They should be able to deliver a SS sub in a few months without a problem.
flyingtiger85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2018, 05:17 AM   #39
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorA View Post
But to who’s benefit is this? If we end up getting the watches for a premium anyway then it’s only the AD who’s benifoting and now talk about lists. Plus the whole point of MSRP is to stop grey market so if you combine them both and call it an “AD” then I don’t care about naming if I still can’t get my watch or have to pay a high premium for it!!
honestly i think AD market pricing stops the grey market. That is what the watch is actually "worth". It makes it a more expensive watch, but it keeps the sales in official channels.... in theory.

MSRP isnt based in reality. Both in above retail market price watches and the more normal discounted secondary market price. I think once people get past the fact that "retail" doesnt mean anything, the better off everyone will be. There is just market price, and getting a hot watch at retail is a discount, and that is why so many people want it.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
Old 6 October 2018, 05:18 AM   #40
R!$
Banned

Its against dealer guidelines however anything flies in EU
R!$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2018, 05:21 AM   #41
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R!$ View Post
Its against dealer guidelines however anything flies in EU
when did Canada join ?
Old 6 October 2018, 02:34 PM   #42
Double Barrel
Banned

I would report this AD to Rolex and the police for immediate sanctions.
Double Barrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2018, 02:48 PM   #43
RJRJRJ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshness View Post
I would get it in writing, then threaten to report them unless they sell it to you 20 off
Yeah I don't think extortion is the best route here
RJRJRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2018, 03:39 PM   #44
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Is that how things work in France?
JacksonStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2018, 04:46 PM   #45
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonStone View Post
Is that how things work in France?
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2018, 05:57 PM   #46
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
when did Canada join ?
JacksonStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2018, 06:10 PM   #47
lak
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Daytona
I am pretty sure which AD you are talking about...
lak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2018, 08:12 PM   #48
zengineer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
I've been to Paris. I'm pretty sure being a smug shopkeeper is not against any laws.
zengineer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2018, 11:13 AM   #49
DTap
"TRF" Member

I had an AD in Canada offer me a “used” Daytona abov MSRP that they hadn’t received yet. They were basically facilitating a flip for one of their preferred customers.

Sketchy...
DTap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2018, 06:06 PM   #50
MmmmTofu
"TRF" Member

Hi guys, thanks for all the reply! Great to see so many sharing the opinions. I have been busy with Thanksgiving for the last few days, sorry about the late reply!

Bout which AD is it.. well I work in downtown everyday and live kinda far from Oakridge... lets just leave it to that. I do have a feeling that its may have been the AD's tactic of saying No without the word 'No', since no one with a sane mind would agree on those terms.

There is also a boutique store next to the Shangri-La hotel in Vancouver, but I have never been inside before. A friend of mine who visited that store couple years ago said only those high rollers who spent x amount of money with them get good services. Also there would not be any flexibility on price with the boutique at all. But at this point, what have I got to lose.. probably will pay them a visit sometime next week
MmmmTofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2018, 02:30 PM   #51
mikeriley
"TRF" Member

same here in chicago, an AD wants half down, and has to be CASH. no credit cards. how crazy is that.
Old 8 October 2018, 04:49 PM   #52
Rippin
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them
So I guess the OP is referring to Palladio then.
Rippin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2018, 04:58 PM   #53
bvolkmer
"TRF" Member

This all makes weird sense to me. We all know many SS watches are hard to get, and if an AD gets a desirable one they could sell it many times over. Asking for a large deposit is just a scam.
bvolkmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2018, 06:03 PM   #54
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvolkmer View Post
This all makes weird sense to me. We all know many SS watches are hard to get, and if an AD gets a desirable one they could sell it many times over. Asking for a large deposit is just a scam.
i disagree with the deposit policy too in principle for the reason you state... however if making you pay 50% non refundable to get on a list then how many people are getting on 20 lists? In that sense it makes the process more orderly as 30 names ahead of you on a "list" and what does that even mean?

You know full well people get on multiple lists and when they get their watch they stay on the other lists a lot of times as its zero downside risk... when they get the call they just flip it as its free money with no cash tied up.
Old 8 October 2018, 08:34 PM   #55
WatchLurv
Banned

Watch: Swiss
Quote:
Originally Posted by MmmmTofu View Post
Hi guys, thanks for all the reply! Great to see so many sharing the opinions. I have been busy with Thanksgiving for the last few days, sorry about the late reply!

Bout which AD is it.. well I work in downtown everyday and live kinda far from Oakridge... lets just leave it to that. I do have a feeling that its may have been the AD's tactic of saying No without the word 'No', since no one with a sane mind would agree on those terms.

There is also a boutique store next to the Shangri-La hotel in Vancouver, but I have never been inside before. A friend of mine who visited that store couple years ago said only those high rollers who spent x amount of money with them get good services. Also there would not be any flexibility on price with the boutique at all. But at this point, what have I got to lose.. probably will pay them a visit sometime next week
That aforementioned store didn't exist a few years ago. To my knowledge it's only been around for nearly 2 years now (coming onto a 2 year anniversary).
WatchLurv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2018, 03:33 AM   #56
F1polesitter
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchLurv View Post
That aforementioned store didn't exist a few years ago. To my knowledge it's only been around for nearly 2 years now (coming onto a 2 year anniversary).
The Boutique is new, the other store isn't.
But they're opening a new storefront across the street. With this kind of policy, not looking good for them.
F1polesitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2018, 03:47 AM   #57
VanAdian
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSOTM
Interesting. I visited the store in question last week. I had a different experience. They were not accepting any additions to the lists (subs, GMTs, whatever). I was told to wait till Feb/March of next year, and to try again as they dont expect anything new (SS sports watched) till then. Once there new store opens in November, they also expect larger inventory. They will even call me when one comes in so I can try it on (if the buyer allows of course).
Boutique does not accept cash for list, and is actually not accepting any lists for the GMTs. Sub list is +200 people long, and 3yrs for Daytonas.
I suggest you keep an eye on the classifieds for a 114060, probably get a reasonable deal across the border...

"The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time." - B. Russell
VanAdian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2018, 03:56 AM   #58
Pops1973
Banned

Watch: 116713LN
They are kindly asking you to go away as they did the same with the op just making excuses to get rid of you - go back next year call their bluff probably hoping you won’t come back.
Pops1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2018, 04:02 AM   #59
VanAdian
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSOTM
At least without trying to gouge me.
I cant be bothered about ADs to be honest. I have patience, and am willing to wait for the grey and used markets to come down on the pieces I have my eyes on; or revise my wants based on some "market" realism.

"The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time." - B. Russell
VanAdian is offline   Reply With Quote