The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 19 January 2023, 10:45 PM   #31
TuRo
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the detectives
I had to pick up my pals Ceramic green bezel and sunburst green dial green sub from a Watch Service (the one the kids call a Hulk I think).
It was, and is, a truly truly disgusting bit of gruesome kitsch to my eyes - but each to their own!
The 16610LV std case/maxi plot is my end point with Rolex. So Def not in my case.... notwithstanding Dan's wink and a nod to 5 digits.
But just for today I think I lie here and dream of you
Uncertain Smile THE THE
TuRo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2023, 10:47 PM   #32
Proto3
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675
I have vintage/neo vintage/modern.
Proto3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2023, 05:02 PM   #33
XavierM
"TRF" Member

I have 4, 5 and 6 digit in my collection. Love them all for what they are.
Crazy about the vintage vibe of the 4 digits but I have to admit wearing them is not as stress-free as 6 digits.
Living in Paris, France, moving around a lot on a bicycle, I do not like the vibrations, pot holes, 50 years old tritium hands and dial combo.
6 digits are not tool watches anymore IMO, but modern luxury iterations of what use to be a tool watch.
They’re shinier, thicker, heavier but they’re beautiful in their own way. The level of industrial finishing is great IMO. Movements seem extremely precise and reliable. The feeling you get when turning the bezel or winding the crown is perfect. Endlinks fit perfectly :)
If buying from an AD, it’s also quite nice to be the first owner, have no stress about watch provenance, originality etc
I did not like the proportions of the 116610LN (lugs were just too much for me) but love the latest 126610LN. Bracelet has a very convenient Glidelock function which I love but at the cost of a slightly too long/large/thick clasp.

Overall I prefer the design and the feel of the Vintage pieces but I can’t wear them everyday and when I don’t, I love the piece of mind I have with 6 digits.
Old 20 January 2023, 07:53 PM   #34
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyhayward View Post
Apologies, I didn’t intend to break the rules just thought they don’t look right.
No need to apologize. You didn’t break the rules
Old 20 January 2023, 08:34 PM   #35
FrenchBigCrown
"TRF" Member

My 'modern' go to Rolex is a 2006 16610LV.

(Kermit as the kids say).

I tend to wear Omega for 'modern' these days.
Old 21 January 2023, 05:50 AM   #36
Filipão
"TRF" Member

Watch: Never too many
Drôle that most of us vintage lovers have 16610 Lunette Verte
Filipão is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2023, 07:36 PM   #37
BrazenC5
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1665,1675,1680,SD4
I have and wear both vintage and modern. I tend to enjoy experiencing different watches, and modern is easier to buy/sell/trade so I tend to rotate through modern watches more quickly and hold onto the vintage ones longer.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk
BrazenC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2023, 11:30 PM   #38
espanol
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Trusty Explorer
I've actually found myself drawn to the modern references which closely align with their vintage counterparts. As you can see in my profile image, the modern OP 36 and Explorer to me, very closely resemble the OP and Explorer of old, but come with all the bells and whistles of a modern watch. Best of both worlds IMO.
espanol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2023, 01:26 AM   #39
Eric88
"TRF" Member

My 1680 is my most comfortable watch and feels the most special and unique to me. I do like some modern pieces as well, and features such as the glide lock bracelet on my modern Sub Date is really useful. I have had a modern Polar Explorer II for a few years and it was polarizing (pun intended, LOL) at first, due to its size. The more I wear it, the more I like it. There is something cool about the new ones, though still not as special as the vintage ones. As another person wrote, it is easier to buy and trade newer models as they are easier to source and consistently the same. Vintage pieces are getting much more rare and each has its own character based on age, patina, etc.
Eric88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2023, 09:21 AM   #40
Bladeshot
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT 1675 PCG Gilt
Any vintage guys also own a modern sub or gmt?

I enjoy vintage and modern. I wear modern when I don’t want to mess up a nice gilt or matte dial swimming. They are all serviced, but you never know and it’s not worth the chance, banging on a rock, etc. Each vintage is so unique due to patina and the journey it’s had.

Get a ceramic sub or GMT. It’s a nice change up.

Just another WIS who loves to trade.
IG @bladeandwatch1
Old 23 January 2023, 12:41 PM   #41
Jackie Daytona
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 16750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladeshot View Post
I enjoy vintage and modern. I wear modern when I don’t want to mess up a nice gilt or matte dial swimming. They are all serviced, but you never know and it’s not worth the chance, banging on a rock, etc. Each vintage is so unique due to patina and the journey it’s had.

Get a ceramic sub or GMT. It’s a nice change up.

Just another WIS who loves to trade.
IG @bladeandwatch1
Fantastic shots and collection Grant! Beautiful watches!

As to the OP. Honestly this sounds weird due to the state of my current collection but I’m honestly a vintage guy that got sucked into the modern Rolex world.

I love the fit feel and elegance of the vintage models so much. They were the perfect Rolexes.

I use to wear my vintage GMT all day everyday. However after I bought one or two modern ones it started putting into perspective a bit more or taking care of my vintage watch. Just ease of wearing is so much easier. My DJ41 fits a lot like a vintage sports model.

My 126610 is a lot more comfy than I had expected it to be. Not at all like a 4-5digit, but comfortable and you can sort of feel that it is the evolution of it all.

Again, I prefer vintage, but if you can add a new 6 digit without detracting from the vintage collection you have I think it’s worthwhile.

I still contemplate going back to mostly vintage watches but with my kids and all and passing it down to them one day modern just works.
Old 24 January 2023, 07:46 AM   #42
shiftf7
"TRF" Member

10x 4digit ref, 3x5digit ref, 0x 6digit ref.
I don’t know exactly why but somehow I just keep buying the old stuff and always pass on the ceramics
shiftf7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2023, 01:51 PM   #43
SOG DIVER
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680Red-551214060M
As a tool watch era mil diver, I started with a red 1680 Submariner and own a 1960
5512 PCG with a gilt chapter ring dial. BUT, my advice is to read Paul Altieri's "Last of the Best" on the 14060, particularly the discontinued 14060M. The full balance bridge and Breguet overcoil-while it keeps the size, drilled lugs, and the bombproof reliability that Rolex has built its reputation on for 100 years. And, it's still neat to have a Submariner built when Hans Wilsdorf was still alive.
SOG DIVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2023, 10:17 AM   #44
mjolnir2thor
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5226G & 5513(1963)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andjwhite View Post
Thanks again to all. I appreciate this response and agree the best route would be to try one on at an AD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hey OP... I'd be interested to hear your thoughts after trying on a modern Rolex. Give us a little summary of your experience.
mjolnir2thor is offline   Reply With Quote