The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 18 January 2023, 04:22 AM   #1
Andjwhite
"TRF" Member

Any vintage guys also own a modern sub or gmt?

…if so, what are your overall thoughts? I have been into vintage and some neo-vintage for years now, but have never owned anything new/modern. The 126610ln looks really tempting. I’ve thought about trading a 5513 for one.

The GMTs are also super nice looking but I think would be a little too loud for me personally. Anyway, would like to hear some opinions from vintage guys if you own either models.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Andjwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2023, 04:39 AM   #2
stevegeorge249
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675, speedy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andjwhite View Post
…if so, what are your overall thoughts? I have been into vintage and some neo-vintage for years now, but have never owned anything new/modern. The 126610ln looks really tempting. I’ve thought about trading a 5513 for one.

The GMTs are also super nice looking but I think would be a little too loud for me personally. Anyway, would like to hear some opinions from vintage guys if you own either models.

Thanks

If your happy to do a lot of homework then you will end-up with a fantastic watch. There are GMT scammers everywhere, you can only protect yourself with the knowledge, Ebay is a great place to see really bad stuff and what not to buy.
As always a lower than normal price means something is not quite right.

The modern watches are more durable but to my eye look very similar.
Vintage 1675's all seem to look different with different charactisics from many years of being worn in many different situations.
They all have a different story and different bumps and dings.

Woops sorry a modern watch recoommendation I read it wrong doh! .
I went into a flashy piano bar the other day and looked around and 6 guys at the bar with what looked like modern Rolies on, all looked the same to me.
stevegeorge249 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2023, 04:44 AM   #3
ExplorerI
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer I
I have a couple Rolex and omega from the 1970s, some from the 90s and a new 124060 submariner from 2022. I like the vintage charm for special occasions but I find the fit and finish and ruggedness of the modern sub to be a bit more convenient for daily wear. Also just don’t worry about it as much. If something happens to it you could always just buy a new one.
ExplorerI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2023, 07:01 AM   #4
hutch300
2024 Pledge Member

Based on what you have listed in your profile, I'd suggest checking out a 16600. I have vintage and modern and I think vintage has more charm but the new stuff is robust.
hutch300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2023, 07:16 AM   #5
Lesnerelli23
"TRF" Member

I've got a Rolex that fits each category of vintage, neo, and modern. I agree with the above responses, my vintage piece, a '58 6565 has the most "character", the "neo" is '01 Explorer which to me just says CLASS but in that understated way. My modern is a 116610LN from '19 and it never crosses my mind to worry about damage to it... It's robust as others stated, solid mechanics, no maintenance needed for a long while still! I think its a great idea to have one in the collection :)
Lesnerelli23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2023, 07:28 AM   #6
Andjwhite
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevegeorge249 View Post

Woops sorry a modern watch recoommendation I read it wrong doh! .
I went into a flashy piano bar the other day and looked around and 6 guys at the bar with what looked like modern Rolies on, all looked the same to me.
Kind of what I needed to hear.

Old 18 January 2023, 07:30 AM   #7
Andjwhite
"TRF" Member

But also some compelling pro modern responses. I appreciate the responses. Thanks, guys.

Old 18 January 2023, 07:43 AM   #8
swaini3
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675 GMT, DRSD
I have some modern references but I prefer and mostly wear vintage. If i was to sell any of my watches, the modern stuff would go first.
swaini3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2023, 10:07 AM   #9
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Yes, I have a modern 14060 Sub from 1991.
Old 18 January 2023, 11:24 AM   #10
indianmachine
"TRF" Member

For me the recent modern stuff has never cut it. I owned a 2019 Blue TT Sub, 2009 116710LN, and James Cameron Deep Sea (blue dial).

Unfortunately the thicker case on the Sub / GMT, relatively to neovintage or vintage just didn't do it for me and seemed too bulky.

Now my most modern pieces are are 1996 16600, 1989 5513 and a 1996 16528.
indianmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2023, 11:49 AM   #11
Kingface66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1966 Rolex 5513
Modern Subs. Oh man. Why anyone with any imagination, or appreciation for the aesthetic beauty of hand-designed and rendered Rolexes, ie. vintage pieces, would ever want a computer software-designed and computer-driven milling and shaping machine, mass-produced, cookie-cutter abomination like a modern Sub is beyond me. And for that kind of money! They’re not simply two versions of the same beast, they’re completely different animals.
Kingface66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2023, 11:59 AM   #12
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingface66 View Post
Modern Subs. Oh man. Why anyone with any imagination, or appreciation for the aesthetic beauty of hand-designed and rendered Rolexes, ie. vintage pieces, would ever want a computer software-designed and computer-driven milling and shaping machine, mass-produced, cookie-cutter abomination like a modern Sub is beyond me. And for that kind of money! They’re not simply two versions of the same beast, they’re completely different animals.
They're good for when you don't want to eff up your vintage. Jogging, pool, golf and the like. They're absolute tanks.

I ain't wearing my 1964 gilt 5513 Sub on the morning 5k in the rain.
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2023, 12:01 PM   #13
Kingface66
2024 Pledge Member

Icon8

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapokee View Post
They're good for when you don't want to eff up your vintage. Jogging, pool and the like.
That absolutely makes sense for a watch that will work hard for you, but do you really need a modern Rolex and at Rolex prices for that?
Old 18 January 2023, 12:13 PM   #14
Stan Cooper
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-Master II
My most modern Rolex piece is a 2001 16710 GMT-Master II; it is my daily wearer. I use the GMT complication several times daily, and really appreciate the jump hour hand with the ability to change local time without hacking when I'm traveling. The 16710 is very versatile in that the bezel insert can easily be changed to reflect different occasions (pepsi for casual, black for formal).

Same watch (16710), different bezel inserts:

My oldest Rolex is an antique 1914 or 1915 WWI trench watch which I recently restored. I wear it only on special occasions because the Rebberg movement predated Incabloc and other shock resistance inventions by a couple of decades, and I don't want to risk dropping it or bumping against anything that might damage the balance wheel pivots.
♛16710 GMT-Master II, ♛1915 Rolex WW1 Trench Watch, Zelos Thresher 500m GMT Meteorite, Zelos Swordfish 40 200m Ti Blood Moon Meteorite, Hamilton Pilot Chronograph, Ball Roadmaster Pilot GMT COSC Chronometer, Zelos Mako 300M True GMT Meteorite, Seiko SSC813 quartz solar powered chronograph
It's weird being the same age as old people.

- Stan
Stan Cooper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2023, 12:17 PM   #15
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That absolutely makes sense for a watch that will work hard for you, but do you really need a modern Rolex and at Rolex prices for that?
I do. This is exactly what Tudor Black Bays were invented for. I don't enjoy a Casio or an Apple watch.
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2023, 12:40 PM   #16
baumare
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 1675/8
I do and I enjoy especially the 112675 Pepsi. To be honest I prefer it to the 5 digit 16710 (which I sold it without regrets) that I consider something in between, not fascinating like the 1675 and not satisfying like the new Pepsi.
With that said, the Vintage 4 digits are still King, in case of selling the modern will be first to go
baumare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2023, 12:49 PM   #17
Stan Cooper
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-Master II
Quote:
Originally Posted by baumare View Post
I do and I enjoy especially the 112675 Pepsi. To be honest I prefer it to the 5 digit 16710 (which I sold it without regrets) that I consider something in between, not fascinating like the 1675 and not satisfying like the new Pepsi.
With that said, the Vintage 4 digits are still King, in case of selling the modern will be first to go
What's a "112675 Pepsi"? I'm not familiar with that reference.
♛16710 GMT-Master II, ♛1915 Rolex WW1 Trench Watch, Zelos Thresher 500m GMT Meteorite, Zelos Swordfish 40 200m Ti Blood Moon Meteorite, Hamilton Pilot Chronograph, Ball Roadmaster Pilot GMT COSC Chronometer, Zelos Mako 300M True GMT Meteorite, Seiko SSC813 quartz solar powered chronograph
It's weird being the same age as old people.

- Stan
Stan Cooper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2023, 12:54 PM   #18
baumare
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 1675/8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Cooper View Post
What's a "112675 Pepsi"? I'm not familiar with that reference.
Sorry, my Prosecco just kick in, I mean the 126710BLRO
baumare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2023, 02:07 PM   #19
Swoop
"TRF" Member

I have a 1675, 5513, 1680 red.... and I the modern ceramic counterparts - honestly, the modern watches get worn almost every day, I love the look of the vintage pieces and make an effort to wear them, but the modern watches I wear and forget, don't have to think about heading for a swim at the beach or with my kids , think less about door frames or security of older bracelets etc
Swoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2023, 02:19 PM   #20
logo
"TRF" Member

This is an interesting thread. If secondary prices weren’t what they were I’d be all over the 4-digit vintage scene, but alas I have to be choosy and realistically consider how I’d use it/care for it. Currently on the hunt for a 124270 +/- 1016. Previously, I was very close to getting an Omega 105.003 - really wanted a 321, loved the history and the unique style. But, then fortunately got allocated the EW321 and honestly I couldn’t be happier with it. Omega absolutely nailed it with this release and I no longer feel the need for vintage 321. I’d love to see Rolex take a play from Omegas book here and do something similar where a 4-digit watch is resurrected with perfect historical detail but in a modern way. Happy medium between the style I love, and the modern conveniences of service and robustness.
logo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2023, 10:45 PM   #21
mjolnir2thor
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5226G & 5513(1963)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andjwhite View Post

I have both a 5513 and a modern Submariner. Personally I find myself wearing the vintage Submariner more versus the newer model (126610LV).

The 126610LV is a heavy duty design with thick lugs and case. It’s built like a tank and has a greater presence on the wrist in terms of size and weight. Bracelet, clapse, lume, bezel, etc. are all outstanding. I haven’t experienced a better sounding/working uni-directional bezel mechanism than a Rolex.

I won’t go into the differences of the 5513 since you own one. If you are going to get a modern Rolex, I’d get the ceramic bezeled Submariner. It’s amazing to hold both in your hand and look how far the Submariner has come given the years of evolution.

Best thing is to go into an AD and try one on your wrist. Remember the new and vintage Submariners are both icons in their own right!
mjolnir2thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2023, 12:46 AM   #22
Andjwhite
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjolnir2thor View Post
If you are going to get a modern Rolex, I’d get the ceramic bezeled Submariner. It’s amazing to hold both in your hand and look how far the Submariner has come given the years of evolution.

Best thing is to go into an AD and try one on your wrist. Remember the new and vintage Submariners are both icons in their own right!
Thanks again to all. I appreciate this response and agree the best route would be to try one on at an AD.

Old 19 January 2023, 01:15 AM   #23
1675-David
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan S View Post
Yes, I have a modern 14060 Sub from 1991.
1675-David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2023, 03:03 AM   #24
LateLearner
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513, 16750, AK
For 30+ years I’ve owned an inherited 5513 (1965) and 16750 (1981). Love them both and wore for decades without a care in the world.

Then, I woke up one day and was 60.
So, I went to an AD to buy a modern Sub, in January 2022, without a clue as to the shortage/madness.

12 months later, I lucked into an Air King. Love the newly designed AK and could see myself wearing it day/night the rest of my days. No longer have to worry about plexi crystals, weak bracelets, cracking tritium, accuracy as merely a suggestion, etc.

So yes, add a new player to your lineup. I predict you will also love it and won’t worry in the same ways. “Box and papers!”

Finally, after 26 days ownership of my AK, (day and night wear), it is +5 seconds ahead of my iPhone. 5 seconds total, over 26 days and sleeping. Compared to my 5513 and 16750, neither hold that close even for an afternoon.

Go for it!

LateLearner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2023, 10:52 AM   #25
Filipćo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Never too many
Quote:
I do.

16610LV + 116600 the last true SD
Filipćo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2023, 11:23 AM   #26
WatchEater666
"TRF" Member

I really love wild patina, aged lume and matte dials. Can’t get any of those h less you go vintage.
WatchEater666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2023, 11:52 AM   #27
Kingface66
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filipćo View Post
I do.

16610LV + 116600 the last true SD
Need?
Old 19 January 2023, 02:53 PM   #28
Johnnyhayward
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pepsi
Are they fake ceramic inserts ? They look very odd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Cooper View Post
My most modern Rolex piece is a 2001 16710 GMT-Master II; it is my daily wearer. I use the GMT complication several times daily, and really appreciate the jump hour hand with the ability to change local time without hacking when I'm traveling. The 16710 is very versatile in that the bezel insert can easily be changed to reflect different occasions (pepsi for casual, black for formal).

Same watch (16710), different bezel inserts:

My oldest Rolex is an antique 1914 or 1915 WWI trench watch which I recently restored. I wear it only on special occasions because the Rebberg movement predated Incabloc and other shock resistance inventions by a couple of decades, and I don't want to risk dropping it or bumping against anything that might damage the balance wheel pivots.
Johnnyhayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2023, 08:18 PM   #29
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyhayward View Post
Are they fake ceramic inserts ? They look very odd.
It violates rule #5 also.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=635693

Old 19 January 2023, 09:39 PM   #30
Johnnyhayward
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pepsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman View Post
Apologies, I didn’t intend to break the rules just thought they don’t look right.
Johnnyhayward is offline   Reply With Quote