The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 21 February 2024, 09:52 AM   #31
PNWBear
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krash View Post
Never. I only buy watches I want to keep for a lifetime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
same here.
PNWBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2024, 09:58 AM   #32
ArtVandelay0
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWBear View Post
same here.

I am jealous of your decisiveness. There are almost no watches I think of and KNOW I’d want them for a lifetime.
ArtVandelay0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2024, 09:59 AM   #33
AF_Rob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub/Polar/OP/BB
If you're already considering an exit strategy before even buying the watch, don't. You don't want it bad enough and will likely sell it anyway. Just get what you really want.

I only buy watches I love and don't intend to sell. That being said, I've sold more than I currently own.
AF_Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2024, 10:17 AM   #34
ArtVandelay0
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AF_Rob View Post
If you're already considering an exit strategy before even buying the watch, don't. You don't want it bad enough and will likely sell it anyway. Just get what you really want.

I only buy watches I love and don't intend to sell. That being said, I've sold more than I currently own.
I would disagree a bit with that. I think it depends on the person. I’m cautious by nature, so it’s something I always consider when buying an expensive, luxury product. It’s important for me to know I won’t lose my shirt on it. Even the one “dream watch” I own I thought that way.
Old 21 February 2024, 10:19 AM   #35
EEpro
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Hey Art, I work in imports/exports myself.

I try to buy at least one a year, something new or interesting, not knowing if it will work out.
Old 21 February 2024, 10:39 AM   #36
Ny325
"TRF" Member

Watch: DW-5600BB
I only purchase what I’m keeping.
Ny325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2024, 10:40 AM   #37
Hodog16
"TRF" Member

Watch: RG Olive DD40
I never ever buy a watch intending to just flip it. Every watch I've bought I intended to keep, but I either end up selling it to trade up for something better or life gets in the way.

I've bought around 10 or so Rolexes since 2006 and of those I only still have three--my original green sub from 2006 and my two latest purchases.
Hodog16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2024, 10:42 AM   #38
ArtVandelay0
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodog16 View Post
I never ever buy a watch intending to just flip it. Every watch I've bought I intended to keep, but I either end up selling it to trade up for something better or life gets in the way.

I've bought around 10 or so Rolexes since 2006 and of those I only still have three--my original green sub from 2006 and my two latest purchases.
I’m certainly not buying to flip. Feel like I was fairly clear about that a few times in this thread. It’s more of thinking of it as a backup to be able to get most of my money out of it if I don’t end up loving it. I have no expectations of flipping for a profit.
Old 21 February 2024, 11:14 AM   #39
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtVandelay0 View Post
I’m certainly not buying to flip. Feel like I was fairly clear about that a few times in this thread. It’s more of thinking of it as a backup to be able to get most of my money out of it if I don’t end up loving it. I have no expectations of flipping for a profit.
Much of the response here suggests that if you don’t love it before you buy it then don’t buy it to see if you’ll love it. That is what those of us who aren’t made of money do. If I bought everything I wanted I would easily have a hundred watches but I can’t. I’ve found that somehow the more watches I have the more my affection for my watches gets diluted. Because of this I have been thinning the herd and selling off less consequential watches that have been displaced by more consequential watches. Love is fickle. Buy with purpose and intent, don’t buy to try unless you are very rich and very bored.
Kevin of Larchmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2024, 11:21 AM   #40
KatGirl

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin of Larchmont View Post
Much of the response here suggests that if you don’t love it before you buy it then don’t buy it to see if you’ll love it. That is what those of us who aren’t made of money do. If I bought everything I wanted I would easily have a hundred watches but I don’t. I’ve found that somehow the more watches I have the more my affection for my watches gets diluted. Because of this I have been thinning the herd and selling off less consequential watches that have been left behind by more consequential watches. Love is fickle. Buy with purpose and intent, don’t buy to try unless you are very rich and very bored.

Well said, Kevin. I am in the process of divesting myself of about 80% of my very large collection, because of the same reason. I now own multiple Rolexes, my BB58, some other nice, but lesser Swiss brands, and a lot of nice Seikos. I can’t possibly wear them all, nor do I want to, anymore. So, I opened a watch store, on eBay. Time to empty that stack of watch boxes.

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2024, 11:27 AM   #41
Krash

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Quote:
Much of the response here suggests that if you don’t love it before you buy it then don’t buy it to see if you’ll love it. That is what those of us who aren’t made of money do. If I bought everything I wanted I would easily have a hundred watches but I can’t. I’ve found that somehow the more watches I have the more my affection for my watches gets diluted. Because of this I have been thinning the herd and selling off less consequential watches that have been displaced by more consequential watches. Love is fickle. Buy with purpose and intent, don’t buy to try unless you are very rich and very bored.

Yes, but I’d argue that even people with extreme wealth don’t buy things they’re not entirely sure about. Nobody does.

Krash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2024, 11:28 AM   #42
ArtVandelay0
"TRF" Member

I can understand that mindset. Me, I’m the type that is very cautious about everything I buy. For example, my datejust was one of my dream watches. When I bought it, I was anxious and felt a little sick about it. Now, two years later, I still can’t stop looking at it on my wrist.

I’m just one of those people who aren’t super decisive and are super cautious about big purchases. So odds are, there won’t be a watch that I’m ever CERTAIN about buying. Well, maybe one day when I retire and buy my 36mm day date!
Old 21 February 2024, 11:30 AM   #43
justdate
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP/AP/Rolex
Jeez these comments, it’s buying a watch, not getting married!

If you like it I’d just go for it, as you say the nice thing is you can sell it on when you are bored of it and something better comes along, hopefully without losing too much.

More experiences the better int my opinion, all a bit of fun. That advice applies to the watch too (jk).
justdate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2024, 11:30 AM   #44
BraveBold
"TRF" Member

I only buy what I intend to keep.
BraveBold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2024, 12:07 PM   #45
mobster600
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes
People buy Ferrari's keep them for 2 years and lose 150k. They just want to enjoy them and can afford the loss. Thats the far extreme end. If you cant afford to lose you shouldnt be buying it. Plain and simple. Buy what you can afford to lose and enjoy it without any regrets. Id recommend talking to a watch dealer. Ask them if you were to resell the watch back to them, what would be the haircut. Ask yourself if you will enjoy the watch and be able to financially accept the loss.
mobster600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2024, 12:21 PM   #46
bluestreak
"TRF" Member

I have bought a ton of watches. I know people here say they buy watches only to keep. But even though I have experience, the only way I know whether I’m going to love a watch is to own it. And I haven’t met an AD that lets me have an extended (month or more long) trial of a watch.

So I buy some watches that I know I may sell. But I don’t know when I buy. But I always know the possibility is there.

For instance I was lukewarm on the LV sub. But I took a chance because it wouldn’t be difficult to unload. I love that watch now.

I was positive I’d love the Tudor BB Ceramic. I waited a year researching it before I bought it. I recently sold it.

You never know…
bluestreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2024, 12:24 PM   #47
Easy E

Quote:
I only buy watches that I intend to keep and enjoy however from time to time I am wrong. New exciting watches often displace watches that were once favorites. I reach a point where if I can honestly say to myself that I have no reason to wear a watch again I will sell it but my intention when I buy is always to keep.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb335 View Post
Every watch I have ever bought I thought was going to be a lifetime keeper. Some have (so far) others haven’t.
This pretty much sums it up for me. I do attempt to make long term purchases, but in all honesty I have some that I swore I would never sell that are long gone and some that I have had for a good long time that I originally said I would never own. Sometimes it’s ok to give one a go and see how well it works out. If you can get your money back, or most of it anyway, give it a spin.
Easy E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2024, 12:25 PM   #48
Mccall86
"TRF" Member

I used to buy a lot of watches this way early on in my collecting. Part of it was just figuring out what I like. I’ve since narrowed my collection down to 3 watches I love and wear regularly. I won’t buy another watch without a lot of careful consideration with the plan of owning long term. And I don’t want more than 3-4 watches total. It’s a pain to buy and sell watches and I almost always lost money when I sold them.
Mccall86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2024, 12:32 PM   #49
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
It happens. Never intentional but Sometimes it just doesn’t click.
Old 21 February 2024, 12:35 PM   #50
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krash View Post
Yes, but I’d argue that even people with extreme wealth don’t buy things they’re not entirely sure about. Nobody does.

And I’d agree although people with extreme wealth would have the luxury to do so.
Kevin of Larchmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2024, 12:42 PM   #51
Hodog16
"TRF" Member

Watch: RG Olive DD40
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtVandelay0 View Post
Sorry I didn't mean to imply you were flipping. Quite the opposite I was qualifying the fact that I've bought 10 watches and sold 7 that I didn't buy them to flip just changed my mind over time.
Hodog16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2024, 12:49 PM   #52
RTG

Watch: YM42 Ti
Not all watches are marriage material, and you often don’t know till you fool around with one for a while. I have bought some that I expected to keep forever, then didn’t. And I have bought some that I expected to enjoy for a while, but then decided it’s a forever watch.
Old 21 February 2024, 01:16 PM   #53
Armis
"TRF" Member

Art, I understand where you’re coming from and what you’re asking. The challenge for me had/has been that I’m very good at justifying pieces to myself with the intent that they have a clear place in my collection AND will be worn. The fact of life, however, is that how we view ourselves and how we live changes to varying extents as we get older or as circumstances and lifestyles change. That’s why it’s hard for me to make that lifetime commitment to every single watch at first sight. Ultimately, I do my best to be objective and thoughtful, then enjoy the piece as intended. As I’ve gotten older, I’ve gotten better at this process. It’s not easy, but the fact you asked this question says something about you being a thoughtful and discerning person.
Armis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2024, 09:29 PM   #54
JC316
"TRF" Member

Never. I only buy to wear and keep.
JC316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2024, 10:25 PM   #55
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
I buy/sell/trade/flip watches all the time. I don't have to love a watch or even want to keep it long term to buy it. Funny thing is that some of my most long term watches were bought because I liked them and was planning on wearing them for a while and moving on. This hobby lends itself to overthinking, as I was one that always use to do that, until I stopped taking myself and my watches so seriously. Not that I want to throw money away but make a little/lose a little/break even is fine with me. I have owned some amazing and not so amazing watches and have a lot of fun playing with them. OP, buy the watch. See if it works and then move on one way or another. Nothing wrong with buying and then selling, if you choose. It is your watch and your money. Go for it.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2024, 10:37 PM   #56
favx
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis29 View Post
Things happen, shit changes, interest fades.
Exactly, never thought of how long I intend to keep a watch for, but of course interest changes and when that happens I just exchange for what I feel at that point.
favx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2024, 10:38 PM   #57
wgdaytona
2024 Pledge Member

Never. I have sold a few and bought a few, just not with the intention of doing it soon. My thought pattern when I buy a watch is that I enjoy it because I really like it, otherwise I do not buy it. They few I have sold over the years, has been years after wearing and experiencing. I do not care for flippers. Just my .02 worth.
wgdaytona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2024, 10:39 PM   #58
bluestreak
"TRF" Member

The current state of the watch market makes some people here think of selling a watch as almost a moral failing.
Selling watches is good for the watch community. It frees up funds to try out new watches and it allows others access to more pieces.

It would really be boring if all watches were bought to be kept forever.

So, even if you think it might not be a long term keeper, OP, it doesn’t hurt to try it out.
bluestreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2024, 12:18 AM   #59
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
Most everybody goes in to buying a watch as if it was always for long term. What happens after that is called life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis29 View Post
Things happen, shit changes, interest fades.
My thoughts exactly.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2024, 12:22 AM   #60
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
Rarely.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote