The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 21 February 2024, 05:12 AM   #1
ArtVandelay0
"TRF" Member

How often do you buy watches that you might not keep long-term?

Hi All,

A topic I'm curious about from you all is how often you buy, or consider buying, a watch that you aren't sure you want to keep long term?

There are so many watches out there that I'd like to own and experience, both within Rolex and within other brands. However, like most, I dont have an unlimited budget, and simply cannot own every watch I'd like to.

This has come up due to a specific situation. There are a few watches I've been waiting on. I have the opportunity to grab one at retail. It's not a very hyped watch, but it still trades consistently above retail and is not readily available.

Now, I have the cash to buy the watch, and dont have a more immediate need for that money. There are no other watches that I'm buying imminently. That said, I'm not sure that this watch would be something I want to keep forever.

My question to you all, with watches being fairly liquid, and the odds of losing money on them pretty slim (especially when buying at retail), is it sort of a no brainer to pick up a watch you're offered at retail if theres a part of you that wants to try it? I'm thinking I could buy this watch, enjoy it for a few months, and decide if its a keeper. If it is, great. If not, then odds are I'd make my money back, or maybe lose a couple hundred bucks, since they sell for about 10-15% above retail+tax. Any major flaws in that logic? Do you all do similar, not necessarily with brand new but even with used pieces, knowing you can enjoy them and decide to sell later if not a fit?
ArtVandelay0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2024, 05:19 AM   #2
piratfisk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16233, 116619LB
If you're asking about speculation on ROI of a watch (ahem, an investment...) then this is not the place & many will chime in saying "a watch is not an investment."

If you're asking if I'd buy a watch that I don't want to keep long-term, then the answer is no. I find the exact, specific model & configuration I like & hunt for the perfect one because no other will be a viable substitute. My watches get worn & are not treated as investments.

Would I be pissed if I dinged the case of my Submariner, absolutely. Would I be pissed if I got the door of my Honda dinged in a parking lot, absolutely. They're not irreplaceable or unfixable, it just costs me money.

So, without further ado: A watch is not an investment. Buy what you like. Resale speculation is just that.

Wishlist: 128236; 5396G; 15550ST; 384.029
piratfisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2024, 05:35 AM   #3
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
I only buy watches that I intend to keep and enjoy however from time to time I am wrong. New exciting watches often displace watches that were once favorites. I reach a point where if I can honestly say to myself that I have no reason to wear a watch again I will sell it but my intention when I buy is always to keep.
Kevin of Larchmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2024, 05:53 AM   #4
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Get what you love and will enjoy... all else is just a waste of your much higher valued time.

Time /=/ Energy

Love timepieces and want to become a Watchmaker? Rolex has a sensational school.
www.RolexWatchmakingTrainingCenter.com/

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2024, 05:56 AM   #5
Tzachi
2024 Pledge Member

Once a month, usually before the monthly visit to Costco.

As I don't like to be rushed ..
Tzachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2024, 05:58 AM   #6
ArtVandelay0
"TRF" Member

I should be very clear, this is not about selling a watch at a profit. In fact, with the watch I’m considering, at best I’d probably make my money back.

This is about trying out a watch that I’m not totally certain is a long term keeper. It’s a watch I’d probably not buy in the open market because I don’t want to pay over retail. In this case I’m being given the opportunity to buy it at retail. Thus, if I don’t like it, I could probably take a very small loss on it at worst.

More broadly, the question is if others buy watches they might not keep long term to be able to experience a wider variety of watches, and see what you fall in love with.

Said differently, maybe I don’t have $30k to allocate to watches all at once, but maybe I could buy a few expensive watches that in total add up to that amount over the years by enjoying them for a bit and then selling and moving on, without major losses.
Old 21 February 2024, 06:01 AM   #7
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
Every watch I have ever bought I thought was going to be a lifetime keeper. Some have (so far) others haven’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jb335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2024, 06:02 AM   #8
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
I never buy without intending to keep. However, it’s natural for tastes to evolve and watches to fall out of favor and just sit. At that point, better off exchanging it for something you would actually wear.
kieselguhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2024, 06:04 AM   #9
dlddrrr
"TRF" Member

Watch: LV, DD, BLNR, ND
I thought about this the other day, I saw a Hublot watch with camouflage pattern all over the dial and case and strap and thought hey that doesn’t look half bad, but then I thought to myself will I still like it when I’m older (I’m 31) and feel “classy”, or is it something I think my future children would like to wear as an heirloom piece? The answer is no. The reason why Rolex is so popular is because they have a time-tested and classic look that will probably never get old. So to answer your question it’s a no because if it’s a watch that I don’t see myself keeping long-term, then that means it’s not right for me.
dlddrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2024, 06:07 AM   #10
brandrea
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I’ve only ever bought one watch on a whim and it didn’t work out.

I glanced at it in a store front, tried it on and bought it on the spot. It was about $500. I literally put it up for sale the very next day, and sold it about a day or two after that for $300.

To all the kids out there, do not watch shop after you’ve had a martini lunch
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2024, 06:07 AM   #11
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtVandelay0 View Post
I should be very clear, this is not about selling a watch at a profit. In fact, with the watch I’m considering, at best I’d probably make my money back.

This is about trying out a watch that I’m not totally certain is a long term keeper. It’s a watch I’d probably not buy in the open market because I don’t want to pay over retail. In this case I’m being given the opportunity to buy it at retail. Thus, if I don’t like it, I could probably take a very small loss on it at worst.

More broadly, the question is if others buy watches they might not keep long term to be able to experience a wider variety of watches, and see what you fall in love with.

Said differently, maybe I don’t have $30k to allocate to watches all at once, but maybe I could buy a few expensive watches that in total add up to that amount over the years by enjoying them for a bit and then selling and moving on, without major losses.

To this more specific question I answer No.
Kevin of Larchmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2024, 06:08 AM   #12
Belinus
"TRF" Member

Similar to some other posters, I’ve only ever bought a watch with the intention of keeping it long term. I probably have a success rate of about 50% spread between 28 years (a tag Heuer that my wife now wears) and a week (JLC - stunning watch that I appreciated but didn’t bond with).
Belinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2024, 06:08 AM   #13
HHIslander
"TRF" Member

Only time I ever sell is when I misjudged a watch and realize it’s not really for me. Bluesy comes to mind.
HHIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2024, 06:17 AM   #14
KatGirl

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
Quote:

Why would anyone do that? I buy watches, because I like them., and certainly intend to keep them. Naturally tastes change, so the direction of my collecting changes too. It is then that I sell some watches, in order to make room for different watches. There is no preplanning involved in any of this.

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2024, 06:21 AM   #15
ArtVandelay0
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHIslander View Post
Only time I ever sell is when I misjudged a watch and realize it’s not really for me. Bluesy comes to mind.
This is more in line with what this scenario could be. I have been asking for a couple watches, one came available. I do like it (since I asked for it), but when the time to buy comes I do the typical dance of thinking about all the other options, all the other things to spend money on (watches and non-watches, fun and non-fun), and question it.

So my thought was to take the opportunity, see if the watch is what I hoped. If so, keep. If not, move on. The catch being that since I bought it at retail, perhaps I can move on from it without being out thousands of bucks.
Old 21 February 2024, 06:23 AM   #16
ArtVandelay0
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatGirl View Post
Why would anyone do that?
Well, like I said in the comment, there are many watches I'd love to try. In the numbers of 25+. But I certainly cant afford to own that many watches at once. So thats what I meant about buying a few watches, enjoying, and rotating out if and when they get boring to me or tastes change, whatever the case may be. Inevitably, some become keepers.
Old 21 February 2024, 06:29 AM   #17
piratfisk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16233, 116619LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
I’ve only ever bought one watch on a whim and it didn’t work out.

I glanced at it in a store front, tried it on and bought it on the spot. It was about $500. I literally put it up for sale the very next day, and sold it about a day or two after that for $300.

To all the kids out there, do not watch shop after you’ve had a martini lunch
Brian, there's a great BBQ restaurant (with full bar) within walking distance from Porsche of San Diego. I'd love to treat you to a brisket sandwich.

Wishlist: 128236; 5396G; 15550ST; 384.029
piratfisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2024, 06:31 AM   #18
HHIslander
"TRF" Member

Quote:
This is more in line with what this scenario could be. I have been asking for a couple watches, one came available. I do like it (since I asked for it), but when the time to buy comes I do the typical dance of thinking about all the other options, all the other things to spend money on (watches and non-watches, fun and non-fun), and question it.

So my thought was to take the opportunity, see if the watch is what I hoped. If so, keep. If not, move on. The catch being that since I bought it at retail, perhaps I can move on from it without being out thousands of bucks.
I see nothing wrong with that strategy. It’s a Rolex I presume, so it’s not like it’s another brand where you could lose >30% no matter what. I say go for it.
HHIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2024, 06:33 AM   #19
the_Hunter
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pepsi
I sold a SS Daytona a few years ago to pay a higher than expect tax bill. I wasn't wearing it much, and felt it was the responsible thing to do. Looking back it was stupid and I wish I had my watch back.
Old 21 February 2024, 06:33 AM   #20
worldofoyster
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub
wear your watches and build memories with it. If you happen to sell them in the future, you wouldn't care too much about the gain/loss
worldofoyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2024, 06:34 AM   #21
OcdRob
"TRF" Member

If there is very little financial risk and you like the watch I would buy it. Ive bought watches I thought I absolutely loved and they didnt work out and others I was only luke warm about when purchased but turned out to be long term keepers. Until you have worn the watch for a bit you really cant tell if you will bond with it.
OcdRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2024, 06:34 AM   #22
brandrea

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by piratfisk View Post
Brian, there's a great BBQ restaurant (with full bar) within walking distance from Porsche of San Diego. I'd love to treat you to a brisket sandwich.

brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2024, 06:53 AM   #23
BogdanS
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I do it all the time.

The new AK was a watch I never really liked before wearing it for a full month. It proved in the end that it changed my perception on watches size: a SDDS guy that turned into AK.

I for one can never really know how I feel about a watch until I wear it for at least one month.

BogdanS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2024, 07:01 AM   #24
Little machines
"TRF" Member

My intention always has been that I will purchase a watch I truly enjoy looking at and wearing! Yes I've purchased from the AD and after sometime trade or sell. My intention is purchase wisely ,research and take your time before you drop$$ . Sometimes I'm genius throughout the decades of collecting watches which have gone up in value just because I liked that particular model. We hear investments pieces etc on this forum which would appear but these are luxury items that we don't need just want . It's okay to be conscientious and never feel guilty when you are spending your hard earned money! Good luck with your journey when finding these beautiful time pieces!
Little machines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2024, 07:05 AM   #25
ArtVandelay0
"TRF" Member

I’m glad a few understand what I’m getting at. There are only a couple watches that I *know* are long term keepers for me. I have 3-4 “dream watches” - I’m lucky enough to own one, and I might never own the others. The rest are watches that I think “hey now that’s a nice watch, I’d like to own that.” But I’d be lying if I said I don’t feel apprehensive about spending a lot of money on anything. It’s just my nature. That's why I don’t personally pay above retail (and that’s why there’s many watches I love that I’ll never own). I also like marking an occasion or an achievement with a watch, which is obviously harder to do if you’re buying at retail, so I think that fizzles some of the fun for me (I’m not celebrating anything right now).

This is an opportunity, I guess, to buy a watch that should at worst result in a small financial loss if I ultimately don’t like it. So was just curious if others think that way.
Old 21 February 2024, 07:30 AM   #26
Mystro

Most everybody goes in to buying a watch as if it was always for long term. What happens after that is called life.
Old 21 February 2024, 07:54 AM   #27
Travis29
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LV / BLNR
Things happen, shit changes, interest fades.
Travis29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2024, 08:27 AM   #28
Calatrava r

Watch: Rolex and Patek
The market to do that flipping is starting to dry up. On most models you will not be able to wear them for a short time for free, but you will lose money when you sell them. As it should be in my view. It's a used watch at that point and it shouldn't sell for what a new one does.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2024, 09:18 AM   #29
RyanJ
"TRF" Member

I don't think I have ever bought a watch that I definitely did not intend to keep. I have, however, bought several that I loved on paper, loved while wearing in the store, but started to really dislike wearing day to day.

I realized I really dislike watches of a certain weight. It is totally subjective but I do not like wearing a watch that feels heavy. This was something that took me having a watch for a little while to realize. I now can tell right away but it took a few purchases to realize.

I totally understand the people that do not like watches that feel too light. Even though I am the opposite, I get it.
RyanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2024, 09:26 AM   #30
Krash

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Never. I only buy watches I want to keep for a lifetime.

Krash is offline   Reply With Quote