The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 8 June 2024, 08:44 PM   #31
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
This is a very valid question. I have a black Pelagos and it has been one of my favorites for years, and it sits among many many more expensive watches. They are great
Old 8 June 2024, 08:59 PM   #32
amsterdamfats
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116503
Was just at Harrods. Tudor does look nice, although the band looks a little big for me. If you are from the USA then you buy the Tudor and they ship it to you in the states. No VAT, they discount the price. You pay a small customs fee and shipping. They said there are many US clients that buy there. Upstairs, they told me they have nothing. And Rolex won’t ship to USA like Tudor. On another note Gassan Dam Square had a few watches for sale. One was a brown face president with diamonds. A few ladies datejusts two with diamonds. They DO offer VAT. I told them what I was looking for and their response was: Good Luck!!
amsterdamfats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2024, 09:40 PM   #33
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I like the Pelagos line-up and if Tudor was where they are now, 30 years ago, I might not have been so strong on Rolex. I would get the Pelagos, enjoy wearing it and go on with it. This is not brain surgery, if you still want a Submariner at some point, then buy one. The Pelagos and the Submariner can both live in a collection together.
1William is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2024, 10:20 PM   #34
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
The entire Pelagos line is great. Maybe get the Pelagos now if that's where your head is at and see what happens when the Sub comes in.
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2024, 10:25 PM   #35
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scholar View Post
Pelagos line = "What if Rolex made a Sub/Sea-Dweller for the first time now with all the tech available?"

Among them: Pelagos = Sea-Dweller, Pelagos 39 = Sub, Pelagos FXD = MilSub

Black Bay line = "4 digit Rolex/Tudor with modern manufacturing"

Among them: Heritage Black Bay = 41mm Sub, Black Bay 58 = 40mm Sub, Black Bay 54 = 37mm Sub, Black Bay P-01 (discontinued) = prototype US Navy Sub, Black Bay 31/36/39/41 = Oyster Perpetual

Black Bay GMT = GMT-Master, Black Bay Pro = Explorer II
Excellent summary.

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
JasoninDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2024, 10:26 PM   #36
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
If you want jewelry, get the Submariner. If you want a tool watch, get the Tudor. Just my thoughts.
Exactly why I need both watches.

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
JasoninDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2024, 11:14 PM   #37
The Londonist
"TRF" Member

Quote:
If you want jewelry, get the Submariner. If you want a tool watch, get the Tudor. Just my thoughts.

Agree with this.

If you’re in a big city where wearing a Submariner is risky (yes, because it’s very noticeable and some envious people may take a chance), then a Tudor Black Bay is perfect and will only likely get
attention from the watch cognoscenti.
The Londonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2024, 11:15 PM   #38
martyjanderson
"TRF" Member

Watch: omega sm chronogra
Love my tudor pelagos 42. Not a sub replacement but didn't buy it for that. Used to large watched so feels normal/slightly small. Lume really is by the best on any luxury swiss I've seen
martyjanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2024, 11:18 PM   #39
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
I would go ahead with the Pelagos, then when and if the sub gets in, then you can decide if you want them both...and if not, which one has to go.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2024, 01:17 AM   #40
richardlo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 216570
Was thinking of getting a Pelagos but saw the monochrome and was sold. Metas movement, black and silver, no date and right sized case, done!
richardlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2024, 01:29 AM   #41
RetF14RIO
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLNR
Opinions of the Tudor BB 58 model M79030N-0001, Vintage Sub

While we’re on the topics of Tudor watches…

Most are already aware of the “negative” reviews of this watch -

A poor man’s Rolex
Fake vintage submariner
Faux rivets
The snowflake hands
Coin edge bezel
No crown guards
Less adjustable band

Several months ago, I purchased a GMT II BLNR and absolutely love the watch. As a retired Naval aviator, I liked the GMT features over the Sub. However, one day I may get a Sub (no date) because it is also a great watch.

I was wearing the GMT almost everyday since I work in an office and except for desk diving, don’t subject it to rough conditions (BTW, bought a leather desk pad to help avoid scratches).

I really enjoy the Rolex look - hour markers and second hand - and the automatic movement over battery. I wanted these same features in a watch that I wouldn’t feel so protective over and could wear under more “hazardous” situations short of doing heavy labor. I also wanted a no date, cleaner looking watch that didn’t require anything more than setting the time if it stopped. Basically, a less expensive Rolex-like watch.

I looked at several brands and settled on Tudor. I initially discarded the vintage BB 58 for several of the previously mentioned reasons. Couldn’t wrap my mind’s eye around that snowflake! Also, the coloring of the watch didn’t seem to match with a SS band.

However, after researching (meaning doing a lot of Googling), reading reviews, and learning of the intent behind the BB 58, I gave it more consideration.

The more I looked at it, the more I came to appreciate its features. I thought I wanted a new 41mm, but having skinny wrists, the 39mm fit and looked better. Additionally, the new 41mm has a round end second hand vice the snowflake. That seemed more out of balance with the hour hand.

So, here’s what I discovered.

I grew to admire the vintage original submariner look. The coin-edge bezel, while maybe a little harder to grip, is not an issue for me. I also think it looks more refined than the Rolex bezels and almost makes them look a little gaudy.

The smaller size of the watch, while slight, looks better to me (wrist size dependent of course) and would probably wear well on larger wrists.

I like the look of no crown guards and their absence isn’t uncomfortable to the wrist.

The faux rivets are hardly noticeable and don’t bother me at all. And, as far as I know, don’t break off like on the original subs. They are less noticeable than, let’s say, the blue glare of the cyclops.

Once my eye and mind got used to the snowflake hands, they also became a nonissue and tells me it’s a Tudor. I think the snowflake second hand is a more balanced look with the hour hand than the round end one on the newer models.

I considered the Pelagos, but didn’t like the look of the square markers, though I do see why many like this watch.

The BB 58 band has only three adjustment holes in the clasp, but usually, once I get a band fitted, I rarely have to adjust it. Though, the adjustment feature of the GMT band would be a nice addition. I also like the all brushed look over PCLs. Due to my wrist geometry, I usually need two more links on the 12 o’clock side than on the 6. This helps the clasp center the case on my wrist.

The watch also looks good with a brown leather band, but, in my case, strap bands don’t work well on my wrist unless they have a clasp.

The bezel is aluminum vice ceramic, but is also doesn’t have the glare of ceramics and the numeral colors and markers match the face well.

The faux gilt of the lettering gives the watch a little bling look without being overstated and adds to the vintage look.

Finally, I think the feature that ultimately pushed me over the edge is the rounded crystal. I feel it adds a lot of character and vintage look to the watch.

I am really enjoying wearing this watch and it does get compliments. It’s not as recognized as a Rolex, which is fine by me. I find it to be an excellent compliment to my BLNR. I think it is a great quality watch in its price range. If I had gone with another, more expensive watch, I would probably be in my same original position of looking for something I could be more daring with.

So, yes, I really like my poor man’s fake vintage submariner and believe it adds to any collection if you accept it for what is is, and isn’t. So much so that it has calmed my craving for a Rolex sub - for now!
RetF14RIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2024, 01:30 AM   #42
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolexken View Post
It won’t stop the desire for the Sub so I would wait.

This!

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2024, 01:57 AM   #43
RetF14RIO
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLNR
Opinions of the Tudor BB 58 model M79030N-0001, Vintage Sub

While we’re on the topics of Tudor watches…

Most are already aware of the “negative” reviews of this watch -

A poor man’s Rolex
Fake vintage submariner
Faux rivets
The snowflake hands
Coin edge bezel
No crown guards
Less adjustable band

Several months ago, I purchased a GMT II BLNR and absolutely love the watch. As a retired Naval aviator, I liked the GMT features over the Sub. However, one day I may get a Sub (no date) because it is also a great watch.

I was wearing the GMT almost everyday since I work in an office and except for desk diving, don’t subject it to rough conditions (BTW, bought a leather desk pad to help avoid scratches).

I really enjoy the Rolex look - hour markers and second hand - and the automatic movement over battery. I wanted these same features in a watch that I wouldn’t feel so protective over and could wear under more “hazardous” situations short of doing heavy labor. I also wanted a no date, cleaner looking watch that didn’t require anything more than setting the time if it stopped. Basically, a less expensive Rolex-like watch.

I looked at several brands and settled on Tudor. I initially discarded the vintage BB 58 for several of the previously mentioned reasons. Couldn’t wrap my mind’s eye around that snowflake! Also, the coloring of the watch didn’t seem to match with a SS band.

However, after researching (meaning doing a lot of Googling), reading reviews, and learning of the intent behind the BB 58, I gave it more consideration.

The more I looked at it, the more I came to appreciate its features. I thought I wanted a new 41mm, but having skinny wrists, the 39mm fit and looked better. Additionally, the new 41mm has a round end second hand vice the snowflake. That seemed more out of balance with the hour hand.

So, here’s what I discovered.

I grew to admire the vintage original submariner look. The coin-edge bezel, while maybe a little harder to grip, is not an issue for me. I also think it looks more refined than the Rolex bezels and almost makes them look a little gaudy.

The smaller size of the watch, while slight, looks better to me (wrist size dependent of course) and would probably wear well on larger wrists.

I like the look of no crown guards and their absence isn’t uncomfortable to the wrist.

The faux rivets are hardly noticeable and don’t bother me at all. And, as far as I know, don’t break off like on the original subs. They are less noticeable than, let’s say, the blue glare of the cyclops.

Once my eye and mind got used to the snowflake hands, they also became a nonissue and tells me it’s a Tudor. I think the snowflake second hand is a more balanced look with the hour hand than the round end one on the newer models.

I considered the Pelagos, but didn’t like the look of the square markers, though I do see why many like this watch.

The BB 58 band has only three adjustment holes in the clasp, but usually, once I get a band fitted, I rarely have to adjust it. Though, the adjustment feature of the GMT band would be a nice addition. I also like the all brushed look over PCLs. Due to my wrist geometry, I usually need two more links on the 12 o’clock side than on the 6. This helps the clasp center the case on my wrist.

The watch also looks good with a brown leather band, but, in my case, strap bands don’t work well on my wrist unless they have a clasp.

The bezel is aluminum vice ceramic, but is also doesn’t have the glare of ceramics and the numeral colors and markers match the face well.

The faux gilt of the lettering gives the watch a little bling look without being overstated and adds to the vintage look.

Finally, I think the feature that ultimately pushed me over the edge is the rounded crystal. I feel it adds a lot of character and vintage look to the watch.

I am really enjoying wearing this watch and it does get compliments. It’s not as recognized as a Rolex, which is fine by me. I find it to be an excellent compliment to my BLNR. I think it is a great quality watch in its price range. If I had gone with another, more expensive watch, I would probably be in my same original position of looking for something I could be more daring with.

So, yes, I really like my poor man’s fake vintage submariner and believe it adds to any collection if you accept it for what is is, and isn’t. So much so that it has calmed my craving for a Rolex sub - for now!
RetF14RIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2024, 05:50 AM   #44
BETRNSX
"TRF" Member

I’m eyeing up a Pelagos (LHD) as well. Can these be had at a discount these days? Worth asking AD?
BETRNSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2024, 07:04 AM   #45
Bill2e
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
The 39 will not stop your desire to get a Sub. Don't settle.

Now, if you want both that is a different story.

I recently added a 42 Blue to my collection and I am really enjoying it along with my SD43.
Bill2e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2024, 07:19 AM   #46
Apdl
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN Finally!
Patience makes it so much sweeter, I waited 6mo.
That whole time the BB58 was calling me.. a cruel temptress
Apdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2024, 07:20 AM   #47
orangespicy
2024 Pledge Member

I'd definitely consider getting it knowing that the itch for the sub will not go away! So worst case, plan to buy both, or at least be willing to take a hit on the Tudor if you go to sell.. IMO that model (or any tudor) can't compete with the timelessness of the Sub. which one would you hang to for the next 10 years if you had to?
orangespicy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2024, 07:30 AM   #48
dcorn
"TRF" Member

I think it would scratch the itch. I'm looking for a 5 digit Explorer II or GMT, but if Tudor made a thinner version of the BB GMT, I'd be all over it.

It's worth asking for a discount. The secondary market is full of very lightly used Pelagos for much lower than retail.
dcorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2024, 08:43 AM   #49
Wingman244
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
I went to my local AD and tried on the P39. I felt it was underwhelming to me. It was flat and dull. To me it looked like the markers were paper that were glued on to the dial. I was really excited for the 39 till I tried it on. Just not anywhere close to a Sub or even a Sea Master. That's only my opinion - your mileage may vary. It was kind of the same reaction I get with the the Speedmaster moon watch...

But I will say - they sold Panerai in the store and I had never even considered Panerai - wow did I like those. Very surprising to me.
Wingman244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2024, 08:51 AM   #50
Ny325
"TRF" Member

Watch: DW-5600BB
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2001jesper View Post
Its really nice - but if what you truly want is something else, then it will just be short-term happiness
Agree.
Ny325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2024, 09:27 AM   #51
0nly5iv3Digits
"TRF" Member

Watch: What is "watch"?
I'm waiting for the BB54 to come down a bit more from retail on the secondary market before pulling the trigger. Very intriguing watch!

Owned the BB58 79030N for a few weeks, but the bracelet and overall wearability forced me to sell it. Otherwise a gorgeous piece! Even higher quality construction than the 5 digit Rolex era, I must admit. Thing ran good too! Darn good! Within 1s/day. Yeah... Tudors' are pretty cool and fit the "daily" beater bill as far as I'm concerned.
Old 10 July 2024, 09:37 AM   #52
Scapegoat
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Pro
I have said it before, will say it again.

Never go AD for a Tudor unless for the sake of relationship building.

Always go grey / 2nd hand for Tudors as the prices fall really quick and are great value at those price point.

P39 is no Sub replacement. Buy the watch for what it is =)
Scapegoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2024, 09:41 AM   #53
rockysw
"TRF" Member

as many have said, it is a great watch but its not a submariner. :)

Perhaps you can try this and exhibition submariner side by side and decide?
rockysw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2024, 10:59 AM   #54
georgew
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: mostly Subs
Quote:
i know everyone has different interests and experiences - which keeps this site interesting. While I have only looked at tudors, I wear my subs as tool watches 24/7 - which I why I bought the first one (and then others). It's on the wrist and I forget about it unless I know there is high risk of damage (ie, wrenching on something in a tight space - then I take it off). Maybe its just me, but I want a watch on that I don;t worry about - and it's a rolex. Perhaps old school as well as I feel naked without a watch On (and definitely do not want to grab my phone to check the time - what watches are for!)
georgew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2024, 11:20 AM   #55
Car32
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scholar View Post
Pelagos line = "What if Rolex made a Sub/Sea-Dweller for the first time now with all the tech available?"

Among them: Pelagos = Sea-Dweller, Pelagos 39 = Sub, Pelagos FXD = MilSub

Black Bay line = "4 digit Rolex/Tudor with modern manufacturing"

Among them: Heritage Black Bay = 41mm Sub, Black Bay 58 = 40mm Sub, Black Bay 54 = 37mm Sub, Black Bay P-01 (discontinued) = prototype US Navy Sub, Black Bay 31/36/39/41 = Oyster Perpetual

Black Bay GMT = GMT-Master, Black Bay Pro = Explorer II
Agree wholeheartedly with this, especially the Pelagos line. I own the P39, FXD, BB54, 14060, and have owned a BB58, 114060 and 124060.

Everytime I wear the P39 I think, this is what a modern sub would look like if Rolex strayed more from their typical design evolution.
Car32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2024, 11:47 AM   #56
wristivities
"TRF" Member

You are still getting the Sub anyway
wristivities is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2024, 11:49 AM   #57
ltmgeller
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
I'm a big fan of Tudor
Old 10 July 2024, 11:57 AM   #58
cdmorenot
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex & Omega
My first Tudor was a smiley ETA in blue. Loved that watch until I broke it trying to pry the bezel apart. I moved on from Tudor.

Since then, I have been through pretty much every SS Rolex available today and I am so ready to go back to Tudor.

I have this itch for a 39 Pelagos that my Subs simply do not scratch!
Old 10 July 2024, 02:10 PM   #59
Zach69SS
"TRF" Member

Tudor BB are very nice but will never be a Sub, I own a BB myself and use it quite a bit. I have not seen the new Tudors yet, I think that mono is interesting and love that the pink chronograph with the 5 band bracelet. Still would not trade for my Submariner.

That said: The Submariner is a classic that you can use in any setting. I would wait for yours or get both if you can, they are different watches
Most of all get what makes you happy!
Zach69SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2024, 02:43 PM   #60
the dark knight
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scapegoat View Post
I have said it before, will say it again.

Never go AD for a Tudor unless for the sake of relationship building.

Always go grey / 2nd hand for Tudors as the prices fall really quick and are great value at those price point.

P39 is no Sub replacement. Buy the watch for what it is =)
Can't agree more with this.

In the US BB58s and BB Pros are in the mid-high 2000s now lightly used, I think these are easily the best values in the watch world when comparing equivalent brands to Tudor.

If one can deal with the size, the BB Chrono is an absurd deal too, I'm seeing them mid 3000s now and that's a watch with a fantastic movement and a chrono you can safely take swimming.
the dark knight is offline   Reply With Quote