The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 21 June 2024, 10:47 PM   #31
rolexjackson
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, GMT, Daytona
Might be time for some new friends? If someone who is a “friend” says anything contrarian to the success you have had in life should make you question the friendship. Or another way to look at it is — why should you lower your standard to fit in? I hope this perspective helps

Life is short buy the watch-
rolexjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2024, 10:49 PM   #32
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
Nobody notices your watch, man. The unease you feel is purely personal. It’s not uncommon to be self-conscious about a new watch initially because you can’t stop looking at it on your wrist but nobody else cares.
Kevin of Larchmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2024, 10:49 PM   #33
Neil McCauley
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
I’ll be that guy … never sell a Submariner, it only leads to regret
Haha yep!

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt
Old 21 June 2024, 10:53 PM   #34
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

This is not a watch issue but more of how you view yourself. Being comfortable in one’s skin is more important so if it must be sold then do it.
Old 21 June 2024, 10:56 PM   #35
Billyrolls
"TRF" Member

Keep it. Find an alternative watch you are comfortable wearing daily for now.

In time your mindset will change, and you will look back and regret having sold it.
Billyrolls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2024, 10:59 PM   #36
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
If you don’t like the watch, or you can’t afford what you spent, then sell it! Those should be the only two reasons to sell it. Your idea that wearing a Sub is showing off is ridiculous. No one else notices, much less cares what watch you are wearing. The only one who cares is YOU, and other enthusiasts here. Don’t let the imaginary envy of family and friends steal your joy. That’s just silly!

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KatGirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2024, 12:08 AM   #37
PenDelicate
"TRF" Member

Watch: P-serial 116518
If I had a watch I thought I could only wear at home, I would sell it.
PenDelicate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2024, 12:15 AM   #38
charger_vital
"TRF" Member

Watch: LF Sport & Pepsi
Then again… maybe by wearing it you are inspiring others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
charger_vital is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2024, 12:18 AM   #39
Easy Rhino
"TRF" Member

Watch: 2-Line Sub & DJ41
As others have stated, if it bothers you to look at your wrist and see it, sell it. It may not matters what others think - it's what YOU think that matters, and it reads as if your joy of having it is eroded by how it may appear to others. While I would probably not wear a Rolex to a homeless shelter or soup kitchen, I don't wear it to signal anything to others. I just like it and enjoy it. Where I grew up there were Mennonites. Some eschewed cars and drove horses and buggies, other sects drove older economy cars, and other sects drove Cadillacs. But all three of the vehicles had no chrome or decorations, not even the Cadillacs. The Mennonites simply painted all the chrome with flat black paint. Status signaling is a funny thing and mostly in the eye of the signaler.
Easy Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2024, 12:36 AM   #40
Carguy87
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: JC 126660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_Bauer View Post
I got my Sub a couple months ago from an AD and thinking of selling. I like the watch but main reason is I don’t feel comfortable wearing it. I don’t like to wear it around work, friends, or family because it feels like I’m showing other people up. I prefer to be more under the radar. Ive only been wearing it around my house, when I’m alone running errands around town, or date nights.

Selling it would open up funds for me to buy watches where I won’t feel that way (plus pocket a few grand). Current collection is Sub, quartz Grand Seiko, and Seiko dive watch. Once sold I’m thinking my new collection would be IWC Mark XX, Longines dress watch, and Seiko dive.

Thoughts on me selling the Rolex?
I get where you’re coming from. I don’t generally wear my Rolex pieces to work because I have had some awkward client interactions. But, for me that makes them more special since I wear them on my off time I get to really enjoy them and the time away from work. Getting my BLNR or my JC out of the safe on my Saturday morning is like the official commencement of my weekend and it instantly puts me in a good mood.

As for wearing around family and friends, unless they’ve spotted you money you haven’t paid back or something I wouldn’t consider it uncouth to wear your nice watches around them lol.
Tudor: Black Bay GMT Opaline
Carguy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2024, 12:53 AM   #41
L_S_SHOE
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
Wear it and be proud. It’s not a flashy watch. It’s on them if they judge you for something so dumb as a watch.

L_S_SHOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2024, 01:04 AM   #42
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Thinking of selling my Rolex

If you can’t afford a Rolex, and everyone around you knows you can’t afford a Rolex, then I could understand this line of thinking. It probably looks sort of silly on you.

Otherwise, I think you’re probably belly-aching over nothing. I wear a Rolex all the time just about everywhere without consequences. If someone doesn’t like it, they can kiss my ##^!

If I worried about what people think, I’d never be where I am today. Make up your own rules. Don’t ask permission and never apologize for anything.

Krash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2024, 01:19 AM   #43
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
If you wear it more that feeling will go away and it will just be your watch.
It’s just a sub. People aren’t really noticing like you think they are.

Money comes and goes but a great watch can last a lifetime or more.
Old 22 June 2024, 01:21 AM   #44
Bozzie1982
"TRF" Member

I used to have a similar outlook then realised no one cares or looks at your wrist. I'm 20 years of wearing watches I geniunly don't remember anyone questioning what u was wearing.
Bozzie1982 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2024, 01:24 AM   #45
ppierce
"TRF" Member

One person, my barber, has noticed my Sub. People dont know or care. So if you love the watch, wear it.
ppierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2024, 01:26 AM   #46
Lalo007
"TRF" Member

My 2 cents. Nobody cares what you have on your wrist, more than likely they dont even know its a Rolex and what price you paid for it. Just wear the watch bro.
Lalo007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2024, 01:32 AM   #47
1665fan
"TRF" Member

Get new friends!
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2024, 01:44 AM   #48
Neil McCauley
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppierce View Post
One person, my barber, has noticed my Sub. People dont know or care. So if you love the watch, wear it.
Only time a stranger has said anything to me, was on holiday in Greece a few years back, it was memorable because it was a female shopkeeper. I went to pay for whatever it was I was buying, and she looked, quickly grabbed my wrist and stared at my watch, nodded with approval and just said, "lovely"
She grabbed my arm that quick i thought she was going to steal it haha
Old 22 June 2024, 01:48 AM   #49
MRBolton
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing my wrist
What Submariner is it? If it's a black dial/bezel, I have to imagine almost no one is noticing, and it's mainly just in your head.

I've worn 8 different Rolexes in my watch collecting journey so far. It's been amazing how few people ever notice, even the gold ones I've had. No one really cares.
MRBolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2024, 02:00 AM   #50
Gerardus
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕

I would keep it, but that is just me.

♕16570 ♕126610 ♕126333
Gerardus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2024, 02:03 AM   #51
malibudad
"TRF" Member

If wearing the Rolex makes you uncomfortable in certain settings and you'd rather have a collection that fits your style better, then selling it makes sense. Plus, having extra funds to diversify your watch collection sounds like a win-win.
Do what you have to do.
malibudad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2024, 02:03 AM   #52
Commander C.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRBolton View Post

I've worn 8 different Rolexes in my watch collecting journey so far. It's been amazing how few people ever notice, even the gold ones I've had. No one really cares.
Just because people don't comment on your watch doesn't mean that they haven't noticed it and formed an opinion about you as the wearer. The watch you wear is an aspect of how you present yourself to the world. I think it is unrealistic to believe that people will notice other aspects of your presentation but not your watch, especially when that watch is one of the most widely recognized luxury items.
Commander C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2024, 02:07 AM   #53
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

realistically a sub isn't an expensive watch and most people with good jobs can afford one if they save up for a few months. if you don't like it for how it wears or looks it's different, but to be ashamed to wear one because you think it's showing off is a bit sad tbh. this whole culture and idea of being uncomfortable showing success makes no sense to me considering people will comfortably brag about taking equally expensive vacations every other month but freak out if someone has a watch that costs 10k
huncho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2024, 02:11 AM   #54
Brich436
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124270
The modern Sub is very flashy and visually interesting. I love it and YES, it does bring the haters out. Let em come out. I had an attendant at an amusement park tell me I was dumb for buying it! Cracked me up. Its just a watch man.

You sound like a great candidate for the Explorer 1 - 124270. You will receive exactly zero comments on it unless they are WIS like us. Sub everyone knows exactly what it is and it is THE Rolex watch.

TUDOR: M79030-B Black Bay 58
Brich436 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2024, 02:11 AM   #55
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander C. View Post
Just because people don't comment on your watch doesn't mean that they haven't noticed it and formed an opinion about you as the wearer. The watch you wear is an aspect of how you present yourself to the world. I think it is unrealistic to believe that people will notice other aspects of your presentation but not your watch, especially when that watch is one of the most widely recognized luxury items.

This is a common response on TRF. But just because people notice your watch, that doesn’t mean they know what it is. Most people don’t comment and most people couldn’t tell you it’s a Rolex either.

Krash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2024, 02:18 AM   #56
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcjvr View Post
Trade it for a 14060 sub

5 digits are under the radar versus the ostentatious modern subs

For what the OP references, there is no difference. A Rolex is a Rolex to anyone who doesn't appreciate watches. From a couple of feet away, the Sub is a Sub. That's part of its beauty, keeping the same DNA over the generations.
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2024, 02:20 AM   #57
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Personally, I would hold on and see if your feelings change. It's only been a couple of months.... You have the watch and value won't go down.
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2024, 02:30 AM   #58
alphadweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
Wait, there's no rush. After a while of wearing it, it becomes just a regular watch. You almost forget about it. If still uncomfortable after a few tries, then I guess let it go.

Personally, I'd keep it for a while, unless I'm 100% positive it's not for me.
alphadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2024, 02:37 AM   #59
Easy Rhino
"TRF" Member

Watch: 2-Line Sub & DJ41
Quote:
Originally Posted by huncho View Post
realistically a sub isn't an expensive watch and most people with good jobs can afford one if they save up for a few months.
Truth. I'm not a guy who is buying expensive watches monthly. My 2005 Sub that cost about $3600 USD new and has been worn daily (unless being serviced) until I got my second Rolex earlier this month. That 19 year old sub cost me $16 a month to buy and about $6.50 a month in servicing costs, or total about $22.50/month (in 2005 dollars). That's about one cup of Starbucks coffee each week.

We could argue about the lost opportunity costs of the money spent on the Rolex, or disregarding the costs of inflation. In other words, pure pedantry. In my last office before retiring many of the younger hires went out to lunch every day of the week, spending far more than the costs of a Rolex. To each his own.
Easy Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2024, 02:39 AM   #60
bluestreak
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krash View Post
This is a common response on TRF. But just because people notice your watch, that doesn’t mean they know what it is. Most people don’t comment and most people couldn’t tell you it’s a Rolex either.

I always think it’s crazy that people say no one notices because people don’t say anything. If you wore an eyepatch people wouldn’t say anything either. But don’t think they don’t notice. People notice everything. We have evolved to gather and process a large amount of information about people with seconds of meeting them. Sometimes unconsciously.

It’s also crazy to think no one knows what a Rolex is. Especially a submariner, which is possibly the most well known watch ever created. Or that people don’t know generally what a Rolex looks like.

As far as OP goes, I can sympathize. I think the six digit sub is too flashy and shiny. I haven’t gotten rid of it, mostly because people tell me I’ll regret it. But since I started working at a non-profit, I feel self conscious wearing at work, especially since I interact with outside people every day. And I am not one of those people who doesn’t care what people think. 1) it’s my job to care and 2) what person really doesn’t care what anyone thinks of them?

Anyway, I will take it from the other side. If it makes you self-conscious or uncomfortable, why force it? You will certainly not take a financial hit and you can use the proceeds to buy other watches for that will make you happier.

Under these circumstances, it makes zero sense to make yourself wear this watch to prove that you don’t care what others think of some other nonsense.
bluestreak is online now   Reply With Quote