The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 16 July 2024, 09:34 AM   #31
the dark knight
2024 Pledge Member

Yea, I've been in the hobby about 25 year or so now and went a bit crazy during COVID. I've done a lot of cutting since then, and I would love to prune down to 1-2 watches, but I've kind of backed myself into a corner. I have a Sub, Daytona, Datejust, Omega Seamaster, and VC Overseas. Honestly even 5 is more than ideal for me, I always thought 3 would be my upper limit.

But this is the first time in my collecting journey I really cannot pick a watch to prune. And ironically these are the watches I've wanted the longest, every single one I've either owned or was on my radar from about 2013 and prior. Any watch that's caught my attention since then has not stayed in the collection.

So I've decided to let nature prune. Any of the 5 watches I mentioned above could be my only watch, so if a watch proves strangely unreliable and I sell it, or I lose one, etc., I decided to just not replace it.
the dark knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2024, 09:44 AM   #32
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
I’ve been thinking about going down to 3 watches: Submariner, GMT BLNR and Speedmaster.

Those watches might be a little redundant but they’re my 3 favorite watches , and that’s what matters most.

I’m not sure I could ever have just one or two watches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Krash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2024, 09:45 AM   #33
metallic
"TRF" Member

Different strokes for different folks.

Bottom line this has to be fun and provide enjoyment. If it doesn't do that, then get rid of the excess.

As with any hobby that involves an element of "collection", things can get out of hand fairly quickly. Bourbon, wine, watches, beanie babies, whatever. The hoarding gene becomes activated.

If it is no longer fun, it has lost it's purpose.

I find 3-4 watches is about perfect. Allows for some rotation.

Good luck.
metallic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2024, 09:57 AM   #34
Watchman001
"TRF" Member

I just finished selling all my 6 digit Rolexes. Am staying with one 5 digit and one AP. Feels awesome!
Watchman001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2024, 09:59 AM   #35
thegrandseirolexguy
"TRF" Member

If it simplifies your life and makes you happy, especially now that you’re semi retired, then for you, it’s the right thing to do.

thegrandseirolexguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2024, 10:13 AM   #36
JMP57
"TRF" Member

Very much an individual decision. I did not get caught up into the post Covid craziness, but instead continued to add watches that I put a great deal of thought into and acquire only through my AD - no grey market for me. This process has served me very well. I enjoy each and every piece in my collection, and actually enjoy the anticipation of getting “the call”.
JMP57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2024, 11:11 AM   #37
CHRONOLEX
2024 Pledge Member

Some recent thoughts.

One, is that this whole debate of which Daytona is best - new style or old - was driving me crazy. I have one model of the new style and a bunch of the old. So was trying to figure out if I prefer the new style and thus need to switch out all my old ones, or if I prefer the old style and should sell the new one. Or should I keep all. I realized I was actually becoming stressed out over this decision - not out of love but out of a self-imposed urgent need to make a decision. That’s silly and not in the right spirit of this hobby.

Two, it seems a lot of these watches are worn (or must be) in order to show off that the wearer was actually able to obtain them. It’s a small circle of people who know that the point of the “obtaining” prestige is that the person was able to be “selected” by the AD to buy it at retail, because if price isn’t a concern, all (most) of these watches are available immediately in the grey market. So this obtaining isn’t really all that meaningful.

Three, there’s a lot of push in our tiny watch circles to chase the PM models - the gold and platinum, especially during Covid. After you set about acquiring a bunch of PM models, and you’re wearing them around, sometimes it dawns on you that wearing all of those is kind of silly. From a practicality standpoint, in the real world, people are not all walking around with gold and platinum watches on their wrist. They’re wearing Apple Watches or Casio or other watches, and if they do have a gold Rolex, that’s probably one of two that they have. Despite what social media shows (and promotes), I just don’t think people are really truly out there owning and wearing numerous PM watches. Again, outside our small circle.

So really it’s just stepping back and looking at this from a different angle, and those observations have given me some pause.
CHRONOLEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2024, 11:29 AM   #38
the dark knight
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRONOLEX View Post
Some recent thoughts.

One, is that this whole debate of which Daytona is best - new style or old - was driving me crazy. I have one model of the new style and a bunch of the old. So was trying to figure out if I prefer the new style and thus need to switch out all my old ones, or if I prefer the old style and should sell the new one. Or should I keep all. I realized I was actually becoming stressed out over this decision - not out of love but out of a self-imposed urgent need to make a decision. That’s silly and not in the right spirit of this hobby.

Two, it seems a lot of these watches are worn (or must be) in order to show off that the wearer was actually able to obtain them. It’s a small circle of people who know that the point of the “obtaining” prestige is that the person was able to be “selected” by the AD to buy it at retail, because if price isn’t a concern, all (most) of these watches are available immediately in the grey market. So this obtaining isn’t really all that meaningful.

Three, there’s a lot of push in our tiny watch circles to chase the PM models - the gold and platinum, especially during Covid. After you set about acquiring a bunch of PM models, and you’re wearing them around, sometimes it dawns on you that wearing all of those is kind of silly. From a practicality standpoint, in the real world, people are not all walking around with gold and platinum watches on their wrist. They’re wearing Apple Watches or Casio or other watches, and if they do have a gold Rolex, that’s probably one of two that they have. Despite what social media shows (and promotes), I just don’t think people are really truly out there owning and wearing numerous PM watches. Again, outside our small circle.

So really it’s just stepping back and looking at this from a different angle, and those observations have given me some pause.
I admit I could be wrong, but if you poll even the members here, I'd wager there are more that don't own a full PM watch than those that do. I think even in watch circles full PM watches are fairly rare considering how much $$$ goes into just 1 watch.
Old 16 July 2024, 11:29 AM   #39
dnd2984
2024 Pledge Member

I sold off 5 pieces this year and one sports car.... Only regret selling the car..no matter how fast a SUV can be it's no sports car.

I kept a three special Daytonas, BLNR, and SkyD.
dnd2984 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2024, 11:32 AM   #40
CHRONOLEX
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by the dark knight View Post
I admit I could be wrong, but if you poll even the members here, I'd wager there are more that don't own a full PM watch than those that do. I think even in watch circles full PM watches are fairly rare considering how much $$$ goes into just 1 watch.
I think you’re right
Old 16 July 2024, 11:36 AM   #41
the dark knight
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by prnceofpersia23 View Post
The Sub Date is one of the best at being an only watch. Give it a shot and see if you like it, you can always buy them back. If you pare down the collection back to 2-3, you can move pieces in and out.

My personal ideal ratio is 3 watches, 2 cars, and 1 house
I get what you are saying, but I would advise against selling everything with the option to buy back later, could become an expensive proposition if one changes their mind.

Probably better for OP to just stick everything in a bank deposit box except the Sub Date and see how he gets along and how long it can go.

My personal rule for almost any item without sentimental attachment is if I haven't used it in a year, I don't need it. So if OP can go a full year with just the Sub Date, might be time to move on from those pieces.

Also would be a decent exercise to see which watches OP really likes. If he can't go the full year, well which watch(es) does he miss the most from what's in the deposit box and decides to take it out and wear it?
Old 16 July 2024, 11:40 AM   #42
CHRONOLEX
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by the dark knight View Post
I get what you are saying, but I would advise against selling everything with the option to buy back later, could become an expensive proposition if one changes their mind.

Probably better for OP to just stick everything in a bank deposit box except the Sub Date and see how he gets along and how long it can go.

My personal rule for almost any item without sentimental attachment is if I haven't used it in a year, I don't need it. So if OP can go a full year with just the Sub Date, might be time to move on from those pieces.

Also would be a decent exercise to see which watches OP really likes. If he can't go the full year, well which watch(es) does he miss the most from what's in the deposit box and decides to take it out and wear it?
Great idea
Old 16 July 2024, 11:43 AM   #43
the dark knight
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Great idea
Old 16 July 2024, 11:46 AM   #44
njlam
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Hi all-

I have been collecting primarily Rolex for 30+ years and have been fortunate to own some very special pieces. However, about 2 years ago when it felt like I was buying somewhat indiscriminately (presumably because I was still swept up in post-Covid craziness) I did what I once thought unthinkable - bought a SS Sub Date - because it was too "plain" and "commonplace." Since then, it has become my favorite go-to watch, especially when I'm having a hard or frustrating day, because the watch literally needs no fussiness or special care and is extremely reliable. Has a date (unlike my Daytonas), lightweight (unlike my PMs), brushed bracelet minimizes scratches, travels incredibly well, goes with any clothing, easy to clean (unlike OF with the underside fins), is generally not too flashy, and is for-sure my nomination for best GADA watch.

With that said, I've been toying with the idea of selling most (or all?) of my watches and just dropping down to this Sub, with the goal of simplifying my life and headspace. In the same vein, I've been thinking about selling most of my cars too except for maybe a single SUV and a sports car, because the flashiness and worry about scratches, etc. just isn't fun anymore. Right now I'm valuing practicality, safety and simplicity.

None of this is to say that I don't love all my watches or that they don't all bring a smile to my face (they do). But at this point in my life, being quasi-retired, I'm taking a lower key approach (especially with big city crime, which just isn't worth it) and expensive watches like this don't play into my self-identity like they once did when I was working in an office and regularly dealing with commercial counterparts who are also into watches.

I've also noticed when I travel, I agonize over which watches to bring with me so I always have the perfect watch at meetings or dinners. But then when it comes time to switch out, I just go with the Sub because inevitably I'm wearing long sleeves or it's too dark to even see what I'm wearing.

Apologies for the story, but just curious if anyone else is also taking a step back after years of frenzied collecting and evaluating something similar.

Best to all.

Hard to comment without knowing what the current collection looks like. What have you got?

Laine V38 SS - Grand Seiko SGBA407 SS - Baltic Aquascaphe SS - Garmin Approach S62
TAG Heuer Formula One - Swatch MoonSwatch Mission to the Moon/Mercury/Jupiter/Neptune
njlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2024, 11:59 AM   #45
George H.
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Datejust
I have 1 Rolex and my wife has 1 Rolex. I may buy another but the problem for me is I do not wear my Rolex that much as is. I own rental property and I am a teacher. So my profession does not warrant wearing a $13,000 watch. I usually wear it when not working or at nice events.
George H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2024, 12:10 PM   #46
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

I did the exact same thing, which is why i wasn’t around here much over the last few years. I sold all of my watches. Turns out more of a depression issue, got that worked out and now I’m back after a lot of therapy . But i completely understand where you’re coming from. My wife said i was happier when we were broke, that was the turning point.

I went through a stage of finally feeling like i could get all of the things i wanted from my childhood. Started buying stacks of shoes and clothes, none of it made me any happier. If anything, i was less happy with the stuff.

I bought the original 214270 and hated the 3,6,9 indicators any tiny hands. So when the new 40mm came out, i was back in. Now im focused on collecting a bit differently than i did before. My wife bought me the BB58 gmt recently to celebrate 5 years at work. That’s a watch i had been hoping Tudor would make since the original bb58, and she surprised me with it, so that’s pretty special.

Pairing down feels nice sometimes. Best of luck with everything!

shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2024, 03:35 PM   #47
MY-WATCH
"TRF" Member

I agree with the concept, and the watch model / configuration
BUT
1-Modern Sub isn’t that comfortable sitting on the wrist specially old/retirement wrist
2-Also very big crown that dings in the hand
MY-WATCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2024, 03:49 PM   #48
Binky1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub 16610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by exp90 View Post
A lot to be said for a simpler life - less stress etc. If it gives you peace of mind, I doubt its the wrong decision.

Im with above.

It clarifies and calms the brain when you get rid of the superfluous. A few years ago some psychologists report in Scandewegia found that minimalist
Interior and exterior housing design lead to a more stress free life-clutter
Gives humans anxiety evidentally. I would never call a Rolex clutter but you get my drift.
Old 16 July 2024, 05:45 PM   #49
ROLEX MAN
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: you? "YES PLEASE"!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MY-WATCH View Post
BUT
1-Modern Sub isn’t that comfortable sitting on the wrist specially old/retirement wrist
So true!

it's not just about telling the time...

happy rolexing...

I'm just a man with a passion
ROLEX MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2024, 06:38 PM   #50
Cru Jones

I don't think it needs to be this complicated, IMHO. They are just watches. If it's no longer fun, move on to something else.
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2024, 07:30 PM   #51
bliss
"TRF" Member

One watch is thinning out way to much in my opinion. Also your mindset may change again and you might wish you hadnt downsized so much.
bliss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2024, 07:58 PM   #52
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
I like the idea. Simplifying life makes for more enjoyable times. The less to worry about, the better.
Id approach it in steps and see how you feel throughout the process.
The Sub certainly is one of, if not the best GADA watch.
travisb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2024, 08:12 PM   #53
1st amg

Watch: Rolex,AP,Panerai
I have not got there yet in my thinking, but certainly one day I may. Good for you, but as someone suggested, put them in the bank safety box and see if they call you to come and get them. If not, start selling them in a year or so.
1st amg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2024, 08:20 PM   #54
pearson1995
"TRF" Member

I agree with a lot of what you have said. I think a 3 watch collection has a great feeling to it. A trinity of watches.

In terms of a perfect GADA watch, I have my BLNR which has date, WR and a pop of colour. Can go with a suit or trunks.

Another watch I don’t own yet. But hoping to one day is the aquanaut.

I think I would always want a Patek complication, but then 2 simpler daily wear watches, if I was to go down to 3.
Old 16 July 2024, 08:41 PM   #55
jamesbondOO7
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex or nothing
Quote:
That's an interesting point. I only had 2-3 for a long, long time and then at some point it became acceptable (normal?) to have many. FOMO I guess.
When you wear one, you immediately think about wearing one of the other ones. The best moment of pleasure one gets is when one finds the perfect watch and perhaps one or 2 days of wearing it thereafter. Then the peak is gone. I guess there is some satisfaction to be had when one gets rid of it later.

So altogether not a very sensible way to go about things. I really wish I had just kept only the 16030 I bought myself for my 30th birthday instead of buying, selling and swapping a whole bunch of Rolexes.
Old 16 July 2024, 09:13 PM   #56
In-N-Out
"TRF" Member

Great thread. I am in my 30s and already feel like I need to cut down to maybe 3-5 watches by the time I’m 40 or maybe 50. Wearing a nice watch like an RO has become a burden for me as I’m constantly paranoid of getting robbed. I also feel like if I have 15-20 watches I can’t actually build that sentimental value with any of them…and passing down meaningful watches to my future kids becomes harder. I don’t want to be passing down watches just for its investment value. I want them to appreciate the story behind them

Some contenders for my future 5 watch only collection, excluding quartz beaters:

Jumbo
Ceramic QP RO
RO OW
Starwheel Code 11
16710 Pepsi
ALS Datograph or 1815 Chrono
ND Sub (not sure which one)
Daytona (not sure which one)
YG RO or Rolex (not sure which one)
At least one PP (not sure which one)

First 4 I definitely think I want forever, so I don’t know how to decide for the last slot
In-N-Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2024, 09:42 PM   #57
davek35
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MY-WATCH View Post
BUT
Truth!
davek35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2024, 10:21 PM   #58
SMPc
"TRF" Member

Just start by selling a few and see how it feels. You can always sell more but maybe start with the ones that you could repurchase easily
SMPc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2024, 10:27 PM   #59
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Makes perfect sense.

I think it's a natural progression in life to want to simplify and not fuss over things we've been trained to obsess over our entire lives.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2024, 11:15 PM   #60
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
I've always been a "one nice watch" person. So I don't really get the idea of having 20 great watches in a vault and one on your wrist. I think I'd feel funny paying $1k or $2k to service a watch every 5-10 years that I only wear a couple of times a year. Not to mention perhaps insuring them all (or some of them). Even reading TRF every day for the last 8 years hasn't really changed that.

Personally I think any Rolex can be a great GADA watch. They are robust and and to most people, look about the same. I've been daily-ing my Daytona since I got it, and while there are other watches that appeal to me, am pretty delighted to strap it on first thing every morning.

If I were OP and were used to having lots of fine watches to choose from, I'd start by paring the collection by one or two and choose the ones you wear the least (or have the least attachment to) at the beginning. If you don't really miss them, and like the less complicated lifestyle, continue to pare. If you do, adjust accordingly.