The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 14 August 2024, 12:45 AM   #31
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

My experiences with boutiques have been OK but I do not live near any, so certainly no relationships with anyone at a specific one, so that is fair I suppose. The SA while I was in Bahrain was very nice and pleasant, Vegas was OK I guess but all generally a waste of time even stopping by. Best one for me was Geneva, he was great and opened my eyes to the PC Code. But all in all, I think they all play this game to some extent and while frustrating, I get it from a business perspective.
V25V is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2024, 01:00 AM   #32
Son Goku
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Token74 View Post
I’ve been collecting for many years and it’s how it worked with Patek for me, and how it’s always worked with Rolex for me, and indeed how it worked previously with AP and the 26480. So thanks, but no thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What is your purchase history like with Patek and Rolex? This is crucial information as to why you may be receiving very different treatment there, along with different SAs of course.

I just don't think this current watch market is for you if you genuinely expect to put your name down once for any desirable watch, not follow up with some kind of frequency, and hope to get a call. If you're a big spender sure this can and likely will work, but otherwise...

No offense, but based on your description of your AP purchase history you're a little fish in a big pond and you were asking for one of the most desirable models i.e. the jumbo. You were never in a million years going to get the jumbo from the AP house with your purchase history and to top it all off you truly had a case of sour grapes when they immediately offered you the ROO you requested!

If you were going to be bitter about the ROO and turn it down anyways what was the point in asking for it at all?!
Son Goku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2024, 01:42 AM   #33
Stupot
"TRF" Member

You have let emotion get in the way of a really nice watch purchase.

This isn't critical, just looking at it from a distance.

In summary -

You wanted a Taupe Offshore and had previously expressed an interest in it.

You are wanting to celebrate a memorable birthday with a watch.

You visited AP house.

You felt they were 'cold' with you.

They offered you one of the watches you wanted, a very desirable and stunning watch, which you could purchase right there and then. (I'm jealous, I love that watch and would have loved that opportunity!)

To me the next line of this should read that you bought the watch and are now loving it, feck them and their attitude, (if they genuinely had some, but I have personally found AP House London fantastic, although I understand it will depend on who you get and how they are feeling, as with every sales environment), plus it would count as spend towards a 16202, as you are not at that level with them yet having purchased some of your others grey.

Or am I missing something, this doesnt make 100% sense to me, I think the saying about cutting your nose off might be relevant?

I jest slightly, as I know things are never as clear cut when humans are involved, but that watch should be on your wrist, don't let people get in the way of this watch collecting lark!
Stupot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2024, 01:51 AM   #34
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupot View Post
You have let emotion get in the way of a really nice watch purchase.

This isn't critical, just looking at it from a distance.

You wanted a Taupe Offshore and had previously expressed an interest in it.

You are wanting to celebrate a memorable birthday with a watch.

You visited AP house.

You felt they were 'cold' with you.

They offered you a watch you wanted, a very desirable and stunning watch, which you could purchase right there and then. (I'm jealous, I love that watch and would have loved that opportunity!)

To me the next line of this should read that you bought the watch and are now loving it, feck them and their attitude, (if they genuinely had some, but I have personally found AP House London fantastic, although I understand it will depend on who you get and how they are feeling, as with every sales environment), plus it would count as spend towards a 16202.

Or am I missing something, I think the saying about cutting your nose off might be relevant?

I jest slightly, as I know things are never as clear cut when human emotions are involved, but that watch should be on your wrist, don't let people get in the way of this watch collecting lark!

Everything you say makes sense, and yes I’m cutting off my nose to spite my face, but sadly that’s how I’m wired. I do expect a level of service, and despite the hype I haven’t received it, so won’t be buying another AP. And honestly, I think the Royal Oak is the finest watch design ever (and I won’t be letting mine go) sand the Offshore Range is the coolest ever (so won’t be selling them either), but equally I won’t be lining their pockets going forward either because I’m not feeling it.

Since the AP House experience, I’ve ordered a Platinum Daytona as my 50th treat, and that’s where my loyalty lies going forwards.

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Token74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2024, 01:56 AM   #35
Stupot
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Everything you say makes sense, and yes I’m cutting off my nose to spite my face, but sadly that’s how I’m wired. I do expect a level of service, and despite the hype I haven’t received it, so won’t be buying another AP. And honestly, I think the Royal Oak is the finest watch design ever (and I won’t be letting mine go) sand the Offshore Range is the coolest ever (so won’t be selling them either), but equally I won’t be lining their pockets going forward either because I’m not feeling it.

Since the AP House experience, I’ve ordered a Platinum Daytona as my 50th treat, and that’s where my loyalty lies going forwards.

Yep, I get that, as humans we have emotions, which I suppose is what makes us human, lol!

Anyway, Platinum Daytona, get pictures up when it arrives, will be stunning.

I approve!
Stupot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2024, 02:14 AM   #36
Token74
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son Goku View Post
What is your purchase history like with Patek and Rolex? This is crucial information as to why you may be receiving very different treatment there, along with different SAs of course.

I just don't think this current watch market is for you if you genuinely expect to put your name down once for any desirable watch, not follow up with some kind of frequency, and hope to get a call. If you're a big spender sure this can and likely will work, but otherwise...

No offense, but based on your description of your AP purchase history you're a little fish in a big pond and you were asking for one of the most desirable models i.e. the jumbo. You were never in a million years going to get the jumbo from the AP house with your purchase history and to top it all off you truly had a case of sour grapes when they immediately offered you the ROO you requested!

If you were going to be bitter about the ROO and turn it down anyways what was the point in asking for it at all?!

I’m conflicted because i try to be respectful here, but your lack of respect towards me has triggered me a little. My issue, as I’ve repeatedly stated, is not about not getting a 16202. You seem to have dismissed everything else I said despite having probably never spent with anyone there watch market what I’ve spent at AP (apologies if this isn’t correct).

There are many people on here that will attest to my advocacy of the brand, my issue is that the experience just didn’t live up to it so I’ve most my love of the brand that I’d totally bought into.

And you asked my purchase issue with Patek, my first Patek was a 5990 and they were awesome to deal with.

My purchase history with Rolex is different because I was buying from them when it was cheaper to go grey. So they now treat me very well because maybe they remember

Bottom line is this; I have four AP’s registered in their system, one of which I bought from them, the others bought grey because I couldn’t get from them. I’ve serviced all of them with AP and one has been in for repair twice. So I expect a little bit of service when I go in with my wife, who by the way was interested in a rose gold offshore which has sadly been discontinued.

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Old 14 August 2024, 02:26 AM   #37
Token74
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupot View Post
Yep, I get that, as humans we have emotions, which I suppose is what makes us human, lol!

Anyway, Platinum Daytona, get pictures up when it arrives, will be stunning.

I approve!

Old 14 August 2024, 02:27 AM   #38
Token74
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GW44 View Post
Sorry to read about your findings here Vince.

Like Stephen, I've only ever had good to excellent experiences of APH London in the time I have been dealing with the team there directly.

I'd echo what was also said about talking to someone at APH to share your feedback and would be surprised if they do not seek to remedy that for you if given the opportunity. I do know that they do look here at TRF sometimes so at some point they might become aware of your thoughts too.

Best of luck in whatever you choose to do here

I did think about getting in touch with you given your relationship, but decided that wasn’t the right approach.

But you remain one of the people I’ve been very lucky to get to know on my AP journey

Old 14 August 2024, 02:35 AM   #39
Son Goku
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I’m conflicted because i try to be respectful here, but your lack of respect towards me has triggered me a little. My issue, as I’ve repeatedly stated, is not about not getting a 16202. You seem to have dismissed everything else I said despite having probably never spent with anyone there watch market what I’ve spent at AP (apologies if this isn’t correct).

There are many people on here that will attest to my advocacy of the brand, my issue is that the experience just didn’t live up to it so I’ve most my love of the brand that I’d totally bought into.

And you asked my purchase issue with Patek, my first Patek was a 5990 and they were awesome to deal with.

My purchase history with Rolex is different because I was buying from them when it was cheaper to go grey. So they now treat me very well because maybe they remember

Bottom line is this; I have four AP’s registered in their system, one of which I bought from them, the others bought grey because I couldn’t get from them. I’ve serviced all of them with AP and one has been in for repair twice. So I expect a little bit of service when I go in with my wife, who by the way was interested in a rose gold offshore which has sadly been discontinued.

OP no offense but if there's anyone here you should be triggered at it's yourself since you did this all to yourself. You've already told us the type of person you are:

Quote:
yes I’m cutting off my nose to spite my face, but sadly that’s how I’m wired. I do expect a level of service, and despite the hype I haven’t received it, so won’t be buying another AP.
I mean this in the nicest way possible, but I think you're still not realizing that you’re the one who messed up here and you’re acting entitled. When you visited the AP house and mentioned the ROO you wanted, which as others have rightly pointed out is a desirable ROO, and it was immediately offered to you, what did you do? You turned it down because you were triggered the SA glossed over your comment about also being interested in a 15202. This speaks volumes about you, not AP.

As multiple people have pointed out, all SAs have interest lists that are considerably long spread across an even longer list of clients. I would argue the SA actually did take your grey market purchase history into consideration of other models when they offered you the ROO.

When you reminded the SA about the ROO you wanted, you were immediately offered the watch. Immediately. You then proceeded to decline it because your pride/ego was hurt since in your mind you "expect a level of service, and despite the hype haven’t received it" and they hadn’t already called you for the watch and you had to ask for it again.

Why are you so offended that you're not top of mind for that SA (or AP in general) and that until that point you hadn't received a call for that or any other watch? You've truly only bought one watch from AP directly and that's what truly counts at the end of the day and they still have considerable demand. There are thousands of people still waiting for any kind of call or offer from AP.

I would reevaluate your attitude so in the future you don't miss out capitalizing on opportunities you asked for in the first place.
Son Goku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2024, 02:48 AM   #40
Token74
"TRF" Member

Quote:
OP no offense but if there's anyone here you should be triggered at it's yourself since you did this all to yourself. You've already told us the type of person you are:

I mean this in the nicest way possible, but I think you're still not realizing that you’re the one who messed up here and you’re acting entitled. When you visited the AP house and mentioned the ROO you wanted, which as others have rightly pointed out is a desirable ROO, and it was immediately offered to you, what did you do? You turned it down because you were triggered the SA glossed over your comment about also being interested in a 15202. This speaks volumes about you, not AP.

As multiple people have pointed out, all SAs have interest lists that are considerably long spread across an even longer list of clients. I would argue the SA actually did take your grey market purchase history into consideration of other models when they offered you the ROO.

When you reminded the SA about the ROO you wanted, you were immediately offered the watch. Immediately. You then proceeded to decline it because your pride/ego was hurt since in your mind you "expect a level of service, and despite the hype haven’t received it" and they hadn’t already called you for the watch and you had to ask for it again.

Why are you so offended that you're not top of mind for that SA (or AP in general) and that until that point you hadn't received a call for that or any other watch? You've truly only bought one watch from AP directly and that's what truly counts at the end of the day and they still have considerable demand. There are thousands of people still waiting for any kind of call or offer from AP.

I would reevaluate your attitude so in the future you don't miss out capitalizing on opportunities you asked for in the first place.

Thank you for the feedback, maybe you’re right, maybe your not, but appreciate the time taken. Best wishes.

Old 14 August 2024, 02:56 AM   #41
GW44
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/Rolex
Icon6

Quote:
I did think about getting in touch with you given your relationship, but decided that wasn’t the right approach.

But you remain one of the people I’ve been very lucky to get to know on my AP journey

Very kind of you Vince.

The offer still stands as per my PM to you today
GW44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2024, 03:03 AM   #42
Token74
"TRF" Member

Lost the Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by GW44 View Post
Very kind of you Vince.

The offer still stands as per my PM to you today

Weirdly I didn’t get a PM, maybe my inbox is full. But thanks for the offer of support as always, you are the ultimate advocate of the brand and the ultimate dude. But I will now ‘stay in lane’ with Rolex and enjoy the APs I have.

We really must meet up some day though, I defo want to buy you a beer

Old 14 August 2024, 03:39 AM   #43
NYG1121
"TRF" Member

Platinum daytona as a consolation prize! Not too shabby.. and a fantastic watch. Look forward to seeing the incoming pics!

I fully agree with you expecting a certain level of service with luxury purchases like this. I am wired that way also and would absolutely let emotion get in the way. Because in the end none of this is a necessity and there are other ways to get these watches. IMO AP out of all brands has let the hype get to their heads... because they didn't used to be like this (at least in my prior experience). But maybe I am getting too old and the new breed of collector doesn't feel this way and is ok with "going on a journey"... many times to nowhere.
Old 14 August 2024, 03:45 AM   #44
Token74
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYG1121 View Post
Platinum daytona as a consolation prize! Not too shabby.. and a fantastic watch. Look forward to seeing the incoming pics!

I fully agree with you expecting a certain level of service with luxury purchases like this. I am wired that way also and would absolutely let emotion get in the way. Because in the end none of this is a necessity and there are other ways to get these watches. IMO AP out of all brands has let the hype get to their heads... because they didn't used to be like this (at least in my prior experience). But maybe I am getting too old and the new breed of collector doesn't feel this way and is ok with "going on a journey"... many times to nowhere.

The ‘too old’ comment resonates for sure!!

Old 14 August 2024, 04:13 AM   #45
jgottsman11
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: President
AP sucks. Ever since offloading my 15300 I had I never want to see another one on my wrist again. That thing was literal junk compared to Rolex and Patek
Old 14 August 2024, 04:19 AM   #46
2loaded
"TRF" Member

Watch: es watches
Gold code a compromise...yikes.
2loaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2024, 05:44 AM   #47
Token74
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2loaded View Post
Gold code a compromise...yikes.

This maybe didn’t vibe across as intended! Amazing watch, just not ‘the watch’ for me as it doesn’t really suit me

Old 14 August 2024, 05:56 AM   #48
mickyd329
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP/Rolex
Quote:

I have to disagree with your comments. Vince has never come off as being entitled on TRF over the years. Those that have been here a while know this already. I think what turned him off more than anything is the interaction with the SA and the lack of service level received during the visit. Honestly, I would also be a bit unhappy if a piece I asked for was in stock and ready for sale and I never got the call. Everyone is different, but I do expect a certain level of service and courtesy from my watch boutiques too. Not saying they have to kiss my rear end, but I would expect some care on their end.

Vince,

I think you really should connect with Gareth and reach out to AP House through his contact about your experience. At the very least it'll give them an opportunity to fix any issues they might have in their process or that particular SA. Worst case, at least you got to speak your mind and move on from the brand like planned anyways. Best case, they make things right by getting you an SA that will treat you better.
PP 5205G-013/ PP 5212A / AP 15416CE /26574 st QP/ AP 50th 16202st /AP 15500st Black / AP 26405CE / AP 77350CE / AP 15551st / AP 67540sk / Rolex 116500 Panda / Rolex 126710 BLRO / Rolex 126610LV Green / Rolex 16570 Black/ Rolex 116300 Blue / Rolex 126710 BLNR
mickyd329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2024, 05:59 AM   #49
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYG1121 View Post

I totally get it but I think the service / great experience has been lost. I made my peace with it and now I guess I’m drinking Diet Coke in gym shorts while picking up watches that costs as much as other people’s annual salaries. I think it’s depends on where you are located in the world - west coast / California is definitely extremely casual which I don’t love but it is what it is.
From London I would have expected a more old world experience but what do I know.

dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2024, 06:40 AM   #50
Slackergirl
"TRF" Member

Watch: YM Everose
Quote:
Originally Posted by dauster View Post
I totally get it but I think the service / great experience has been lost. I made my peace with it and now I guess I’m drinking Diet Coke in gym shorts while picking up watches that costs as much as other people’s annual salaries. I think it’s depends on where you are located in the world - west coast / California is definitely extremely casual which I don’t love but it is what it is.
From London I would have expected a more old world experience but what do I know.

I'm a west coaster as well. Got to admit love the casual part of being here. I'm biased or used to it I guess growing up here. Went into FP Journe up in LA a couple months ago and was immediately impressed that everyone working had on FP Journe black hoodies. My 1st thought was aahhh not a snooty place! Still had a great conversation about the brand and watches in general.
Slackergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2024, 06:51 AM   #51
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slackergirl View Post
I'm a west coaster as well. Got to admit love the casual part of being here. I'm biased or used to it I guess growing up here. Went into FP Journe up in LA a couple months ago and was immediately impressed that everyone working had on FP Journe black hoodies. My 1st thought was aahhh not a snooty place! Still had a great conversation about the brand and watches in general.

I live in the Bay Area and I’m struggling with it frankly, maybe have to move back to Europe (I’m German from Berlin) but glad you like it.

Old 14 August 2024, 07:10 AM   #52
Token74
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickyd329 View Post
I have to disagree with your comments. Vince has never come off as being entitled on TRF over the years. Those that have been here a while know this already. I think what turned him off more than anything is the interaction with the SA and the lack of service level received during the visit. Honestly, I would also be a bit unhappy if a piece I asked for was in stock and ready for sale and I never got the call. Everyone is different, but I do expect a certain level of service and courtesy from my watch boutiques too. Not saying they have to kiss my rear end, but I would expect some care on their end.

Vince,

I think you really should connect with Gareth and reach out to AP House through his contact about your experience. At the very least it'll give them an opportunity to fix any issues they might have in their process or that particular SA. Worst case, at least you got to speak your mind and move on from the brand like planned anyways. Best case, they make things right by getting you an SA that will treat you better.

Thanks Mike, some kind words and some sound advice. I will give Gareth a buzz when back in the UK as maybe he can pass on the feedback in the right way for the greater good.

Old 14 August 2024, 07:12 AM   #53
Token74
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slackergirl View Post

FP Journe is epic

Old 14 August 2024, 07:14 AM   #54
Token74
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dauster View Post
I live in the Bay Area and I’m struggling with it frankly, maybe have to move back to Europe (I’m German from Berlin) but glad you like it.

Currently driving around Germany, super friendly people and what a stunning place. Went up Zugspitze yesterday, what an awesome experience.

Old 14 August 2024, 07:44 AM   #55
GW44
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/Rolex
Icon6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickyd329 View Post

Vince,

Agreed on both fronts here Micky

Quote:
Thanks Mike, some kind words and some sound advice. I will give Gareth a buzz when back in the UK as maybe he can pass on the feedback in the right way for the greater good.

Speak soon Vince
GW44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2024, 09:04 AM   #56
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Currently driving around Germany, super friendly people and what a stunning place. Went up Zugspitze yesterday, what an awesome experience.

Very cool glad you are enjoying Germany

Old 14 August 2024, 09:07 AM   #57
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
FP Journe is epic

Was recently staying right next to FP journe on sunset - I was surprised how quickly they got back to me when I emailed. Unfortunately they were undergoing renovations and the boutique was closed.

My wife still wants the Havana dial octa lune in 38mm- seems like a good buy since we both can wear it. Have to go down to LA and make and intro

Old 14 August 2024, 10:04 AM   #58
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

sad to see so many early (pre mania) AP collectors turning their back on the brand lately but i can understand it. unfortunately i never stood a chance with the boutique here and had to go grey but it is what it is. i still don't think i could ever give up my RO

agree with others that you should give it another go sometime. i gotta say though, given how the majority of society acts these days, i honestly can't imagine working in retail in todays world and i don't expect much when shopping at places like this anymore because of that
huncho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2024, 11:14 AM   #59
mickyd329
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP/Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by huncho View Post
sad to see so many early (pre mania) AP collectors turning their back on the brand lately but i can understand it. unfortunately i never stood a chance with the boutique here and had to go grey but it is what it is. i still don't think i could ever give up my RO

agree with others that you should give it another go sometime. i gotta say though, given how the majority of society acts these days, i honestly can't imagine working in retail in todays world and i don't expect much when shopping at places like this anymore because of that

That is the unfortunate part. Many pre craze AP collectors were buying through AD's or grey market. As AP moved to a boutique model, many couldn't start a relationship quick enough before the watch craze hit and were left out in the cold.
PP 5205G-013/ PP 5212A / AP 15416CE /26574 st QP/ AP 50th 16202st /AP 15500st Black / AP 26405CE / AP 77350CE / AP 15551st / AP 67540sk / Rolex 116500 Panda / Rolex 126710 BLRO / Rolex 126610LV Green / Rolex 16570 Black/ Rolex 116300 Blue / Rolex 126710 BLNR
mickyd329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2024, 12:32 PM   #60
Slackergirl
"TRF" Member

Watch: YM Everose
Quote:
FP Journe is epic

Could not agree more
Slackergirl is offline   Reply With Quote