The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 15 June 2017, 01:35 PM   #61
Chute
"TRF" Member

Watch: 6 digit Rolex+APRO
I was in a similar dilemma last year . I wanted the 5167 but had a hard time finding one at an AD. I was "first" on the list at my AD for a white 116500 but still don't have it. So I went for an AP 15400. Please take a look at it. It's a similar size, great history, and simply beautiful timepiece. Plus they are easy to find from a trusted seller at a great discount.
So my AD finally calls 2 last week with a black 116500 and I buy it of course. I really like it but already have a white 116520 I adore. But I still haven't removed the stickers because I'd like to trade it up for a 5167.
Sorry I'm of no help.
Chute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2017, 02:13 PM   #62
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

Get a 116500 from an AD, flip it immediately for a nice profit and get the 5167A!

In all seriousness, I would not pay $5K over list price for a DaytonaC from a non-AD. IMO that is just throwing away good money when you can eventually get one for list price if you wait patiently.

My suggestion is always to see the watches in person before you make a purchase decision on a $13K-$19K watch. If you are buying a $200 watch, then you can just order the watch sight unseen. Once you have seen both of these watches in person, decide which one you like better. Then go and buy the watch you like
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2017, 02:18 PM   #63
Dr.Smellody
"TRF" Member

Daytona.
Dr.Smellody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2017, 04:21 PM   #64
Pangit
"TRF" Member

I picked up my aquanaut just two weeks ago and absolutely love it. It is extremely comfortable to wear and looks amazing in my opinion. The photo probably doesn't do it justice but the dial is absolutely beautiful.I suppose it is sacrilege on this forum but I don't like Daytonas and so for me it would be the aquanaut.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0066.JPG (141.0 KB, 178 views)
Pangit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2017, 04:54 PM   #65
dhmrs
2024 Pledge Member

I personally would go for the Daytona. It feels much more substantial and solid compared to the Patek.
dhmrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2017, 06:18 PM   #66
regnant
"TRF" Member

Different types of watches but Daytona definitely gets my vote
Old 15 June 2017, 06:33 PM   #67
aleeboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: N/A
Out of the two options, the Daytona... but only if you pay no more than retail!

I don't like the Aquanaut at all. I think the AP 15202, though more expensive, is a significantly better watch.
aleeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2017, 06:35 PM   #68
aleeboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chute View Post
I was in a similar dilemma last year . I wanted the 5167 but had a hard time finding one at an AD. I was "first" on the list at my AD for a white 116500 but still don't have it. So I went for an AP 15400. Please take a look at it. It's a similar size, great history, and simply beautiful timepiece. Plus they are easy to find from a trusted seller at a great discount.
So my AD finally calls 2 last week with a black 116500 and I buy it of course. I really like it but already have a white 116520 I adore. But I still haven't removed the stickers because I'd like to trade it up for a 5167.
Sorry I'm of no help.

Decisive indecisiveness right there!
aleeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2017, 07:23 PM   #69
Golf&Watches
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116719
The Aquanaught looks absolutely awful to me. For many years PP afficianados referred to it as the Aquawart, that sums it up for me.
Daytona C definitely!
Golf&Watches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2017, 07:55 PM   #70
japenney
"TRF" Member

Watch: undecided
I don't have time to read the entire thread right now but I want to stress the importance of NOT paying trusted seller price on the 116500 daytona. You are paying a 4k premium and getting a watch that is not from the AD...it just simply isn't that special to me....perhaps it is too you? At this price I would take a 5167 every day of the week anytime. As much as I love the daytona, a steel daytona will never compare to a NEW PATEK FROM AD for the same price.
japenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2017, 08:02 PM   #71
Stillwater702
"TRF" Member

Another vote for Daytona. I've tried on the Aquanaut, and it didn't live up to the expectations.
Stillwater702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2017, 09:56 PM   #72
ccaballero
"TRF" Member

Watch: None
Daytona. Aquanaut is over priced for what it is.
ccaballero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2017, 10:25 PM   #73
Northcap
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, PP
Aquanaut. Why?

1) I don't like, for me, meaningless complications. I have no use for the Daytona's complications.

2) I prefer a watch with a date feature. I made an exception for my lumed Explorer, and I may make an exception for another grail watch, an AP 15202. I would not make an exception for the Daytona.

3) The Aquanaut is the anti-Patek. Same quality, same beautiful movement as a 5711, but with a twist - the rubber strap. It's sort of a FU to the Patek watch models which, with the exceptions of the 5711 and the basic Calatrava models, I consider to be somewhat prissy. I'm a sport/tool watch collector. The Aquanaut also appeals to the nonconformist part of my personality. For example, I would wear a Sub to a formal occasion just because I can.

4) The Aquanaut wears beautifully. When you cut the strap, the watch is uniquely your watch.

5) The Aquanaut flies under the radar -- sort of like forbidden sex.
Northcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2017, 10:26 PM   #74
bayerische
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf
Aquanaut
Old 15 June 2017, 10:30 PM   #75
yoast
"TRF" Member

I owned both and would take the daytona. but I wouldnt pay over retail.

5167 is just too underwhelming.
Old 15 June 2017, 10:54 PM   #76
gummy
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: AP PP Rolex
Of the 2 mentioned - Daytona...

If a 5164 could be had... I would go PP
gummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2017, 11:06 PM   #77
Coffes4closers
"TRF" Member

I personally feel like you get much more bang for your buck with the Rolex. The Aqua is just a a bit insignificant on the wrist, and in complications for the price tag it demands.
Coffes4closers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2017, 11:09 PM   #78
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccaballero View Post
Daytona. Aquanaut is over priced for what it is.
In the OP's case it is quite the reverse.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2017, 11:14 PM   #79
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
Not a fan of aquanaut. The dial reminds me of a basketball. But the Nautilus, well there is a watch I would buy over the Daytona, but even then it would be a close decision.
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2017, 11:52 PM   #80
encarter13
"TRF" Member

I am not a huge fan of either. I vote DaytonaC.
Old 16 June 2017, 04:00 AM   #81
ducfrog
"TRF" Member

Thanks everyone, some great points to consider.

Like many have said, if I could pick up a Daytona from my AD for retail, it would be a no-brainer. Unfortunately, that is not the case and I just can't see myself paying over msrp for it.

I like the Aquanaut, I've tried it on several times, but I'm not sure if I love it. It's always been interesting to me since I do tend to wear more sport oriented watches (the 114060 hasn't been off my wrist since I got it).

I was at my AD today and picked up a really nice Bluesy Sub for my wife (she's caught the bug since meeting me and her collection rivals mine..). While I was there I tried on a bunch of models including the full yellow gold Daytona and Sub. Very impressed by the presence on the wrist of both.

Also tried on the Yachtmaster rose gold on Oysterflex. I really like the feel and curvature of the case plus gilt crown and red writing But, the wife says it looks like a michael kors watch her sister has

My AD also mentioned the upcoming PM Daytonas on Oysterflex

Sheesh, just opened a whole nother can of worms...enablers on this forum, enable away. Some great problems to have, I'll admit
ducfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2017, 04:08 AM   #82
tom2517
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golf&Watches View Post
The Aquanaught looks absolutely awful to me. For many years PP afficianados referred to it as the Aquawart, that sums it up for me.
Daytona C definitely!
Definitely the daytona, then again I am known for being an Aquahater.
tom2517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2017, 04:49 AM   #83
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducfrog View Post

Like many have said, if I could pick up a Daytona from my AD for retail, it would be a no-brainer. Unfortunately, that is not the case and I just can't see myself paying over msrp for it.

I like the Aquanaut, I've tried it on several times, but I'm not sure if I love it. It's always been interesting to me since I do tend to wear more sport oriented watches (the 114060 hasn't been off my wrist since I got it).

I was at my AD today and picked up a really nice Bluesy Sub for my wife (she's caught the bug since meeting me and her collection rivals mine..). While I was there I tried on a bunch of models including the full yellow gold Daytona and Sub. Very impressed by the presence on the wrist of both.

Also tried on the Yachtmaster rose gold on Oysterflex. I really like the feel and curvature of the case plus gilt crown and red writing But, the wife says it looks like a michael kors watch her sister has

Sheesh, just opened a whole nother can of worms...enablers on this forum, enable away. Some great problems to have, I'll admit
If you don't absolutely love the watch, then I would hold off and get the one that really appeals to you. Only you know which watch that will be.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2017, 05:28 AM   #84
phalen302
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Aqua has a glow which is hard to capture in the pictures or explain. There will be lot more Daytonos in the world then Aqua. It's a Patek and you will get SC324 movement.

Only saw one Aqua in the wild but have seen many many Daytonas.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rsz_fullsizerender[1]_2.jpg (124.1 KB, 84 views)
phalen302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2017, 05:44 AM   #85
KBM
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

I like the Aquanaut, I really do, but the white dialed ceramic Daytona is the stuff of legend.

KBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2017, 06:12 AM   #86
dr35mm
"TRF" Member

Watch: BB58
I would go Patek here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Present: BB58 | BB36 | GMW-B5000D-1JF | 6900-PT80

Past: 16610LN | 16622 | 116610LN | 214270
dr35mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2017, 06:27 AM   #87
zama
"TRF" Member

Watch: 4 Broken glass
Looking at your collection you have more larger dials which makes me wonder if quickly you would be in the Daytona is too small camp. I had the Aquanaut and loved it and it Would wear larger I think. But it does scratch and the rotor is loud. I recently went for a used PM WG Daytona second hand with its price drop this is close to ceramic SS price and a much heftier watch with better dial choices, I would consider that unless You feel you must buy
New.
zama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2017, 07:12 AM   #88
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducfrog View Post

Sounds like the new PM Daytonas are the ones for you, try one on first, should be out soon.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2017, 07:20 AM   #89
WAK4
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Always changing
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Sounds like the new PM Daytonas are the ones for you, try one on first, should be out soon.
Agreed. I got to try them on last night, really nice in person, particularly​ the gray dial.
WAK4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2017, 07:48 AM   #90
Mazuri1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomalf123 View Post
I think the Aquanaut goes better with your collection. You already have a chrono. Suprised at the lack of love for the Aquanaut. It's a unique watch that goes well in a collection, imo.

I've had 2 Daytona's and sold both. Had a WG one and the new Ceramic white dial. I never used the chronograph function and I don't understand why Rolex doesn't add a date between the 4 and 5 hour markers like other brands. I do like the look of the Daytona - it photographs well. And the new model is a stunner. Wears well on a smaller wrist.

My Aquanaut keeps better time than any watch I've owned. I've worn it consistently for a year and a half. Just took it on vacation to Disney. Water, rides, etc. Picked up a scratch (brushed bezel will do that) but got home and tested and time was dead on. It's under-the-radar but watch enthusiasts notice it immediately. Very happy with it. Maybe I got a really good one.

In short, I've owned both and still have the Aquanaut. Probably can't go wrong with either. Both should retain good value. I wouldn't pay a premium for the Daytona, though. Try and work a deal on the Aquanaut and if neither one is a clear winner go for the best deal!
Let's be clear this is fundamentally a Rolex fan club....the options are going to be biased ... I've had a Daytona, and it was a pleasant time piece but deeply flawed and in my opinion a triumph of marketing over substance....if I could get a 500c I'd be happy to repeat the experience at msrp but I confess my diffidence is one of it just looks too small on my wrist. A patek is very special. The detailing very special. The juxtaposition of a patek on a rubber band is just beguiling and for me can't be discussed in the same sentence with a Daytona .... But as we all know free will is a wonderful thing, you asked for an opinion on a Rolex site so weigh the responses accordingly
Mazuri1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
help me decide , wwyc