The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 6 January 2022, 08:57 AM   #61
usmc_k9_vet
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandpit View Post
Food for thought….. people are paying $75k for a steel sub and $6.5m for a steel Aquanaut. Is anybody really that surprised?

I know this ain’t a Patek, but this is the irrational market now.

What steel Sub are people paying $75k for?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
usmc_k9_vet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2022, 08:59 AM   #62
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Who cares? These are retail prices, not grey market list prices.

Anyone who can pay $81k for this already has relationships such that they can get Rolexes or PPs at retail, too.

Thus, $81k for this is lunacy.
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2022, 09:23 AM   #63
toucan
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5970
Love the watch, can’t believe the price!
toucan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2022, 10:09 AM   #64
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Food for thought….. people are paying $75k for a steel sub and $6.5m for a steel Aquanaut. Is anybody really that surprised?

I know this ain’t a Patek, but this is the irrational market now.

Old 6 January 2022, 10:28 AM   #65
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmc_k9_vet View Post

yes, count me interested. My Datesub is absolutely for sale if someone wants to pay $70,000. I’ll even fly it to you personally and buy lunch.
shaunylw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2022, 03:44 PM   #66
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Plenty of vintage subs priced at 75k plus.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2022, 06:21 PM   #67
myporsche
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex♠Lange
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Is he dreaming? Is he thinking pesos?
myporsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2022, 06:50 PM   #68
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Even if they were, you can't compare a brand new in-production piece with vintage watches.
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2022, 07:10 PM   #69
Sandpit
"TRF" Member

Quote:

A Hulk recently sold for that at auction plus buyers fee. No, I am not dreaming and nor is that pesos. The final price was closer to $95k.

Merely pointing out the lunacy of the watch market these days. Steel Nautilus are regularly advertised in excess of $100k. Snoopies, I have no idea what they are now - maybe $25-30k?

Could it just be that Omega is seeing the lunacy of the market and just thought “screw it we want some of that”. Why should the flippers get all the profit?

Fwiw, I too think this is ridiculously priced - but all rationality of late has completely been thrown out. There is more money than sense these days. And in any case, who really cares what they want to charge.
Sandpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2022, 02:18 AM   #70
outlaw468
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Omega
Cool watch but so expensive !!
Old 7 January 2022, 02:58 AM   #71
Trog
Banned

I just don't see the value proposition in this watch.

If production were limited to say 10-watches, then perhaps.

Mind you at that price, production will naturally be self-limiting, but without any certainty, the value proposition makes absolutely no sense at all.
Trog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2022, 04:03 AM   #72
usmc_k9_vet
"TRF" Member

Quote:
A Hulk recently sold for that at auction plus buyers fee. No, I am not dreaming and nor is that pesos. The final price was closer to $95k.

Merely pointing out the lunacy of the watch market these days. Steel Nautilus are regularly advertised in excess of $100k. Snoopies, I have no idea what they are now - maybe $25-30k?

Could it just be that Omega is seeing the lunacy of the market and just thought “screw it we want some of that”. Why should the flippers get all the profit?

Fwiw, I too think this is ridiculously priced - but all rationality of late has completely been thrown out. There is more money than sense these days. And in any case, who really cares what they want to charge.

That is nuts! I had been seeing Hulks go for like $20k-25k. Why someone would pay $75k at auction for one is beyond me.

I agree the watch market these days is crazy!

Old 7 January 2022, 04:59 AM   #73
NYG1121
"TRF" Member

This is so crazy that I have reserved comment so far. Omega just can't find a way to win in the most winnable market in the history of watches. The formula is clear from other brands but they just tend to the do the opposite
Old 7 January 2022, 05:00 AM   #74
ButtButt
"TRF" Member

Amazing looking watch... amazing price as well lol
ButtButt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2022, 05:24 AM   #75
Goose 104
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126622
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWilson View Post
Loads of views here and understandably there's a lot of negativity towards the price, but, there is something quite nice about having an Omega out there that is 'aspirational' or 'not obtainable' due to the price.

The 321 SS is a gorgeous watch and the achievable option for most, but the idea that there's a pedestal watch that you'll never see anywhere makes it a bit special, something that actually has been missing from the Omega range.

I'd hope that you don't see them sink on the secondary as anyone who can comfortably drop this price on this watch probably isn't that bothered about moving it on...
Really good points

I have just been offered a SS 321 and seeing this actually makes me value the SS more.
Old 7 January 2022, 07:38 AM   #76
Helmi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWilson View Post
Imagine this will set the market for the 57 edition in an upward trend!

I was thinking about that too

Helmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2022, 07:41 AM   #77
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYG1121 View Post
This is so crazy that I have reserved comment so far. Omega just can't find a way to win in the most winnable market in the history of watches. The formula is clear from other brands but they just tend to the do the opposite
not much more to say
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2022, 11:31 AM   #78
Travelller
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my sig. ;)
Quote:
...Omega just can't find a way to win in the most winnable market in the history of watches. The formula is clear from other brands but they just tend to the do the opposite
I don't quite follow...

Which customer-base has Omega neglected?

The steel 3861 Moonwatch comes in two flavors and is "available", AFAIK.
Their 9300 Co-Axial-powered DSOMs represent the next tier in terms of both accuracy and cost and offer hi-tech materials (ceramic, ...).
Their Heritage models cater to those of us with a passion for the Space program (still not sure if low production is better or worse than LEs).

A few of which are made in precious metals and come priced accordingly (with maybe the exception of this ref. ). I certainly can't afford this reference (or any other precious-metal ref. for that matter) but I have no issue with Omega catering to that market - so long as they don't forget about us "mortals" and I don't see that to be the case.

We can apply the above to the Seamaster-line and so on.

So what did I miss here and what do you think the customers are looking for (aside from Tiffany-blue Nautilus & Oyster Perpetuals and that fill-in-the-blank AP ).
I had a look at your IG account but I'm no more the wiser...

So someone, anyone, please clue me in

Panerai 111 217 233
Rolex 16600 126600
Seiko SBGA125 SBDX001 SLA017 SLA025 SLA033
Tudor 5B GMT
Zénith A386ME
Other Mühle Glashütte S.A.R. Flieger Chronoswiss Tora
Travelller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2022, 11:56 AM   #79
logo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelller View Post
I don't quite follow...

Their 9300 Co-Axial-powered DSOMs represent the next tier in terms of both accuracy and cost and offer hi-tech materials (ceramic, ...).
Their Heritage models cater to those of us with a passion for the Space program (still not sure if low production is better or worse than LEs).

A few of which are made in precious metals and come priced accordingly (with maybe the exception of this ref. ). I certainly can't afford this reference (or any other precious-metal ref. for that matter) but I have no issue with Omega catering to that market - so long as they don't forget about us "mortals" and I don't see that to be the case.

So what did I miss here and what do you think the customers are looking for (aside from Tiffany-blue Nautilus & Oyster Perpetuals and that fill-in-the-blank AP ).

The key is omega should have made it with a Tiffany blue dial and priced it at $110,000

Edit* and made it a boutique exclusive lol
logo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2022, 12:04 PM   #80
HMHM
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I don't quite follow...

From my perspective, I do agree that Omega simply couldn’t find the winning solution despite such positive outlook in the watch market. The new release of the 18k 321 is FANTASTIC, but if they had priced it at £30k and undercut the Daytona slightly, this is a WINNER. It has the history (moonwatch), the legendary 321 movement, seems well finished and designed from pictures (onyx black dial, sapphire case back etc). It’s not about Omega neglecting other categories of buyers, it’s that they simply fail to understand the market. If they had priced it well, this is a hit and people will be getting in line to buy 1. That’s good for Omega’s image and bottom line. Instead now this is going to be made in very small quantities because the demand is naturally going to be low due to the insane price and one can buy TWO blue dial full white gold Daytona and still have spare change. Can you see why this is so absurd?

9F983E73-0B93-4011-A57A-CD6BEC3CF53C.jpeg
AD118D07-7CB1-4D3C-944C-FFEFD4946FCA.jpeg
HMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2022, 01:39 PM   #81
Travelller
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMHM View Post
...It’s not about Omega neglecting other categories of buyers, it’s that they simply fail to understand the market. If they had priced it well, this is a hit and people will be getting in line to buy 1. That’s good for Omega’s image and bottom line. Instead now this is going to be made in very small quantities because the demand is naturally going to be low due to the insane price ...
Can you see why this is so absurd?
"I see", said the blind man
Looks like Rolex will remain No.1 and Omega must continue to settle for 2nd place in market share...

Panerai 111 217 233
Rolex 16600 126600
Tudor 5B GMT
Zénith A386ME
Old 7 January 2022, 01:54 PM   #82
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by logo View Post
The key is omega should have made it with a Tiffany blue dial and priced it at $110,000

Edit* and made it a boutique exclusive lol
The play here is to make it unobtainable b/c demand is insane ("Tiffany" dial Rolex OP and 5711), not because the price is insane. Seems that Omega didn't get the memo.

For the same price I would definitely take the Canopus 321 over a blue dial WG Daytona (which I actually do like a lot); for twice that I'd embarrassed to have everybody see that I got bamboozled.
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2022, 02:21 PM   #83
NYG1121
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I don't quite follow...

I get your points and no need to throw shade. I own a 1861 speedy moonwatch and its one of my favorite watches of all time. I dont own a tiffany blue nautilus nor have any interest in the blue OP. I am just commenting like others that omega has a golden opportunity here to make their brand more desirable by releasing amazing pieces like this but not pricing them astronomically. Instead, you price them a bit more reasonable, create demand, and watch your entire shelves become empty because now you have created a desirable brand. I would not pay anything close to 80k (even 40k) for any Omega because they haven’t appreciated the concept of value retention for potential buyers at that price point (even though watches are fantastic). I just don’t trust that they ever will either which is ok if that is who they want to be
Old 7 January 2022, 03:03 PM   #84
usmc_k9_vet
"TRF" Member

Quote:
From my perspective, I do agree that Omega simply couldn’t find the winning solution despite such positive outlook in the watch market. The new release of the 18k 321 is FANTASTIC, but if they had priced it at £30k and undercut the Daytona slightly, this is a WINNER. It has the history (moonwatch), the legendary 321 movement, seems well finished and designed from pictures (onyx black dial, sapphire case back etc). It’s not about Omega neglecting other categories of buyers, it’s that they simply fail to understand the market. If they had priced it well, this is a hit and people will be getting in line to buy 1. That’s good for Omega’s image and bottom line. Instead now this is going to be made in very small quantities because the demand is naturally going to be low due to the insane price and one can buy TWO blue dial full white gold Daytona and still have spare change. Can you see why this is so absurd?

Attachment 1265636
Attachment 1265637

I agree with most and maybe all of this. I think it should be priced about half as much as it is. Make it comparable to the Daytona in white, rose, or yellow gold bull bracelet or even slightly higher since these white gold 321 Speedies will likely be very limited. If they did that, I would contemplate buying one over a Daytona. What they did in reality, however, is absurd.

Old 8 January 2022, 11:13 AM   #85
Trog
Banned

If anyone is interested:

Fratello....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dt0-1gjXp_w
Trog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2022, 01:32 PM   #86
Travelller
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
...I am just commenting like others that omega has a golden opportunity here to make their brand more desirable by releasing amazing pieces like this but not pricing them astronomically. Instead, you price them a bit more reasonable, create demand, and watch your entire shelves become empty because now you have created a desirable brand. I would not pay anything close to 80k (even 40k) for any Omega because they haven’t appreciated the concept of value retention for potential buyers at that price point (even though watches are fantastic). I just don’t trust that they ever will either which is ok if that is who they want to be
Quote:
...The new release of the 18k 321 is FANTASTIC, but if they had priced it at £30k and undercut the Daytona slightly, this is a WINNER ... one can buy TWO blue dial full white gold Daytona and still have spare change...
Quote:
...I think it should be priced about half as much as it is. Make it comparable to the Daytona in white, rose, or yellow gold bull bracelet or even slightly higher since these white gold 321 Speedies will likely be very limited...
I (now) see that the community is once again comparing Speedmaster to Daytona. When Omega released the SS 321, everyone was comparing it to the SS Daytona. Now the community is comparing the 321 Canopus Gold to the WG Daytona.

I don't see the 321CG as a "direct competitor" to the WG Daytona and if anything, it would be better to take the "Moonwatch Professional" in CG (45K). This reference is powered by the 3861, now Omega's "standard" movement for the Speedmaster Professional line. Rolex uses their "standard" 4130 in all Daytonas, including a WG with steel dial (38K).

Rolex doesn't entertain a heritage line let alone a heritage movement. While you are all correct in your assertion that providing the 321CG at a similar price to the WG Daytona (+ vip dial) would win over many a [potential] Daytona customer / owner, the price tag makes it rather clear that wasn't Omega's objective with this reference.

I'm not sure what Omega's true purpose is with their [current] ne plus ultra Speedmaster, but what's clear (to all) is that it wasn't produced to directly compete with [any] Daytona. As for pricing, no one so far has been able to justify it so I certainly won't try.

Panerai 111 217 233
Rolex 16600 126600
Tudor 5B GMT
Zénith A386ME
Old 8 January 2022, 01:52 PM   #87
DCheeta
"TRF" Member

Unbelievably beautiful watch, I love it!

The price doesn’t matter to me - I can’t even afford the steel 321, so however they price this one it’s out of my range anyway. I hope it’s a success.
DCheeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2022, 01:58 PM   #88
Hpozzuoli
Banned

Watch: Rolex
Pesos?
Hpozzuoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2022, 02:41 PM   #89
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Couple of things, omegas bragging about a minimal use of gold is simply annoying.

Plenty of nice watches using far more gold and not trying to have the customer hyper focus on it. Gold plated parts are something I would expect a fashion brand to focus on.

2nd thing. With the severely delayed rollout of the Ed white pieces, the fact they have allocated 321 movements to another line is giving me the feeling of paneri LE games that nearly destroyed the brand.

Excuse My disappointment it is a result of the extended period I am waiting for the Ed white.
Old 9 January 2022, 12:27 AM   #90
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Quote:
Originally Posted by subtona View Post
Couple of things, omegas bragging about a minimal use of gold is simply annoying.

Plenty of nice watches using far more gold and not trying to have the customer hyper focus on it. Gold plated parts are something I would expect a fashion brand to focus on.

2nd thing. With the severely delayed rollout of the Ed white pieces, the fact they have allocated 321 movements to another line is giving me the feeling of paneri LE games that nearly destroyed the brand.

Excuse My disappointment it is a result of the extended period I am waiting for the Ed white.
No apologies needed as I understand your disappointment. I have read and watched a number of reviews and the common theme in a lot of them is justification of the price. There is no justification that offers anything other than that is what Omega wanted to price it at. This watch could have cost half what it is listed for if Omega chose. I know as WIS we need to constantly learn and analyze but this one is beyond me. The 321 discussion is another beast unto itself and maybe someone will pick it up from where we sit today.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote