The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 22 June 2024, 02:50 AM   #61
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestreak View Post
I always think it’s crazy that people say no one notices because people don’t say anything. If you wore an eyepatch people wouldn’t say anything either. But don’t think they don’t notice. People notice everything. We have evolved to gather and process a large amount of information about people with seconds of meeting them. Sometimes unconsciously.

It’s also crazy to think no one knows what a Rolex is. Especially a submariner, which is possibly the most well known watch ever created. Or that people don’t know generally what a Rolex looks like.

As far as OP goes, I can sympathize. I think the six digit sub is too flashy and shiny. I haven’t gotten rid of it, mostly because people tell me I’ll regret it. But since I started working at a non-profit, I feel self conscious wearing at work, especially since I interact with outside people every day. And I am not one of those people who doesn’t care what people think. 1) it’s my job to care and 2) what person really doesn’t care what anyone thinks of them?

Anyway, I will take it from the other side. If it makes you self-conscious or uncomfortable, why force it? You will certainly not take a financial hit and you can use the proceeds to buy other watches for that will make you happier.

Under these circumstances, it makes zero sense to make yourself wear this watch to prove that you don’t care what others think of some other nonsense.

To be clear, I never said “no one knows” what a Rolex is. I said most people couldn’t recognize a Rolex on someone’s wrist. There is a big difference between the two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Krash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2024, 02:58 AM   #62
Phrank
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ♕
Like that brand spanking new BMW I had that after many months just became a car.

After a while, it's just a watch, and people really don't notice.

Sent from my SM-S918W using Tapatalk
Phrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2024, 03:01 AM   #63
77T

Sell it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2024, 03:03 AM   #64
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Quote:
I always think it’s crazy that people say no one notices because people don’t say anything. If you wore an eyepatch people wouldn’t say anything either. But don’t think they don’t notice. People notice everything. We have evolved to gather and process a large amount of information about people with seconds of meeting them. Sometimes unconsciously.

It’s also crazy to think no one knows what a Rolex is. Especially a submariner, which is possibly the most well known watch ever created. Or that people don’t know generally what a Rolex looks like.

As far as OP goes, I can sympathize. I think the six digit sub is too flashy and shiny. I haven’t gotten rid of it, mostly because people tell me I’ll regret it. But since I started working at a non-profit, I feel self conscious wearing at work, especially since I interact with outside people every day. And I am not one of those people who doesn’t care what people think. 1) it’s my job to care and 2) what person really doesn’t care what anyone thinks of them?

Anyway, I will take it from the other side. If it makes you self-conscious or uncomfortable, why force it? You will certainly not take a financial hit and you can use the proceeds to buy other watches for that will make you happier.

Under these circumstances, it makes zero sense to make yourself wear this watch to prove that you don’t care what others think of some other nonsense.
Agree 100%

Just because someone doesn't comment on your watch does NOT mean they do not noitice it or care. People KNOW what Rolex is, and they make assumptions about you based on you wearing a Rolex. We can make all the "wear what you want" or "no one cares about your watch" arguments we want, but in certain situations it may either not be the best idea to wear a Rolex or undertandably cause apprehension by the wearer.

I am a white collar worker with a good income. Many of my friends and people I'm around are blue collar workers - general contractors, painters, lawn care, etc. There are some times when I choose to wear a non-Rolex depending on who I am around that particular day and how well I know them. There's nothing wrong with wearing a less known or less expensive watch in those situations.

When I go to football games, for example, I usually wear my Tudor or a micro brand. I don't want to be lifting a beer and see someone's eyes laser beaming my Rolex (yes this has happened) and then wonder what kind of assumptions they are making. Around people I know well, I wear any watch in my collection without thinking twice. But again, please don't think no one notices what you are wearing ... they do
samson66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2024, 03:21 AM   #65
GRabens
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too Many Rolex!
As said previously, sell it and buy something which you will wear without being afraid. You have to do what makes you happy.
GRabens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2024, 03:22 AM   #66
Marcjvr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post

For what the OP references, there is no difference. A Rolex is a Rolex to anyone who doesn't appreciate watches. From a couple of feet away, the Sub is a Sub. That's part of its beauty, keeping the same DNA over the generations.

Disagree, there is a big difference between the wrist presence of 5 digit subs and the super case 6 digit wrist monsters of today

I’ve never liked the new subs because of how much more flashy they are designed to be. One is a tool watch and one is a piece of jewelry.

You may disagree though. We are all entitled to our opinions

Old 22 June 2024, 03:27 AM   #67
Blanch
"TRF" Member

Submariner = do not sell.
Blanch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2024, 03:29 AM   #68
Know1isgod
"TRF" Member

Had a sub. Sold it. Life went on. I still think it's a cool watch, just wasn't for me.....
Know1isgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2024, 03:36 AM   #69
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Thinking of selling my Rolex

Quote:
Originally Posted by samson66 View Post
Agree 100%

Just because someone doesn't comment on your watch does NOT mean they do not noitice it or care. People KNOW what Rolex is, and they make assumptions about you based on you wearing a Rolex. We can make all the "wear what you want" or "no one cares about your watch" arguments we want, but in certain situations it may either not be the best idea to wear a Rolex or undertandably cause apprehension by the wearer.

I am a white collar worker with a good income. Many of my friends and people I'm around are blue collar workers - general contractors, painters, lawn care, etc. There are some times when I choose to wear a non-Rolex depending on who I am around that particular day and how well I know them. There's nothing wrong with wearing a less known or less expensive watch in those situations.

When I go to football games, for example, I usually wear my Tudor or a micro brand. I don't want to be lifting a beer and see someone's eyes laser beaming my Rolex (yes this has happened) and then wonder what kind of assumptions they are making. Around people I know well, I wear any watch in my collection without thinking twice. But again, please don't think no one notices what you are wearing ... they do

I get what you’re saying. We have some friends and extended family that are blue collar workers, too. But what about folks with homes that are far more impressive than their Rolex collection? Should you not invite your blue collar friends and family over because your home is too extravagant and luxurious?

Krash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2024, 03:38 AM   #70
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post
A Sub is not exactly a ridiculously expensive bling watch.
Not this again.

Most regular people can't spend 10k on something that frivolous.
Wahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2024, 03:59 AM   #71
prnceofpersia23

Watch: 116500LN
If you're uncomfortable wearing it around others, you'll get over it.

If this is just a case of buyer's remorse after spending $10k, you'll get over it.

If you get the Mark XX, you'll get over that too and miss the Sub.

Keep the watch, man.
prnceofpersia23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2024, 04:01 AM   #72
Robf52
"TRF" Member

Watch: lots of Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoach View Post
enjoy the fruits of your labor...........get the mind set,"it's none of my business what people think of me"........applies to all aspects of life life is too short
This.
126334 DJ41 Rhodium/Diamonds//126331 DJ41 TT Wimbledon
124300 OP41 Green//126334 DJ41Mint Green
Robf52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2024, 04:12 AM   #73
Easy Rhino
"TRF" Member

Watch: 2-Line Sub & DJ41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahlberg View Post
Not this again.

Most regular people can't spend 10k on something that frivolous.
But people will spend over $1K/year on one Starbucks every morning en route to work, over $200/month or more eating junk food lunch out, etc. I won't even go into mood altering substances. Some just have a different view on what constitutes frivolous spending.
Easy Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2024, 04:16 AM   #74
Bald Angus
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ41, 126334-0017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Pierce View Post
You gotta do what you think is best, the rest be damned.
dP

I agree with this!

Bald Angus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2024, 04:19 AM   #75
slide13
"TRF" Member

I agree with others.

First, do what is right and makes sense for you. If that's selling the Sub then so be it.

But I'd bet almost nobody ever notices it unless you're pointing it out to them. I've had my Sub Date for a year now and only people who have ever noticed it to the point of commenting are other watch people. Nobody in my day to day seems to take notice in the slightest. I say just wear it and I bet you'll find the same.
slide13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2024, 04:50 AM   #76
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krash View Post
I get what you’re saying. We have some friends and extended family that are blue collar workers, too. But what about folks with homes that are far more impressive than their Rolex collection? Should you not invite your blue collar friends and family over because your home is too extravagant and luxurious?

I hear you and it's sort of ridiculous the way people make assumptions about someone "must be rich" or "they have to flaunt their wealth" because they own a Rolex, as they drive away in their $60,000.00 F-250, but it is what it is. I don't like it either, but that's how some people view anyone wearing a Rolex.
samson66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2024, 04:57 AM   #77
racerx
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_Bauer View Post
I got my Sub a couple months ago from an AD and thinking of selling. I like the watch but main reason is I don’t feel comfortable wearing it. I don’t like to wear it around work, friends, or family because it feels like I’m showing other people up. I prefer to be more under the radar. Ive only been wearing it around my house, when I’m alone running errands around town, or date nights.

Selling it would open up funds for me to buy watches where I won’t feel that way (plus pocket a few grand). Current collection is Sub, quartz Grand Seiko, and Seiko dive watch. Once sold I’m thinking my new collection would be IWC Mark XX, Longines dress watch, and Seiko dive.

Thoughts on me selling the Rolex?
I felt the same way when I got my first Rolex many years ago. I ignored those feelings realizing most people don't know or care about what watch you're wearing. Don't sell it, wear it.
racerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2024, 05:06 AM   #78
S’portEye
"TRF" Member

Put it on a strap before you sell it. See if that dresses it down a little.
S’portEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2024, 07:51 AM   #79
rockysw
"TRF" Member

wear your rolex. I used to think the same (and some times still do) but then decided that i am not going let what other people think stop me from enjoying what i like.

Mark XX is great but it is not a sub :)
rockysw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2024, 07:59 AM   #80
123Blueface
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
Not sure how old you are but at 65, I can’t care what anyone else thinks.
Perhaps if they’ll agree to pay my bills I may have a change of heart.
Old 22 June 2024, 08:07 AM   #81
Nick M
"TRF" Member

No one is noticing.
Old 22 June 2024, 08:08 AM   #82
Buck I

Watch: Submariner C
I do understand. Other folks likely don't know or care about a watch. Might just be in your head. My first was a Sub 13 years ago and I wore it around friends and family, if anyone noticed they never said a word. Since then I have four more and wear them in the same fashion. Still nothing said by anyone, except the wife when she notices a new one. Enjoy your watch and feel great wearing it.
Buck I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2024, 09:37 AM   #83
wristivities
"TRF" Member

If you love it and you've earned it, rock it!
wristivities is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2024, 11:17 AM   #84
Tqmb79
"TRF" Member

A sub isn’t showing anyone up. It’s a classic Rolex not flashy in my opinion. Its brushed bracelt makes it ideal for daily wear. I wouldn’t sell it, it’s an essential part of a collection to me.
Tqmb79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2024, 11:18 AM   #85
Tqmb79
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123Blueface View Post
Love this. I’m early 40s and I have the same attitude. I’ve worked too hard to give a crap about what others think.
Tqmb79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2024, 11:22 AM   #86
Andad

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123Blueface View Post
I agree and at 76 I care even less.

I do think that if you are self conscious about wearing a certain watch there is more chance of it being noticed by others?

Thread needs a pix.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2024, 01:56 PM   #87
"TRF" Member

Why anguish over a watch. Just sell it.
1259 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2024, 02:08 PM   #88
bluestreak
"TRF" Member

OP: “ I don’t like wearing the watch”
4 pages of comments: “you should keep the watch”

bluestreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2024, 02:59 PM   #89
996marty
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexGMT/Tudor7928
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andad View Post
I agree and at 76 I care even less.

I do think that if you are self conscious about wearing a certain watch there is more chance of it being noticed by others?

Thread needs a pix.
A Rolex and a Bimota you sir have great taste
996marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2024, 05:49 PM   #90
Nick M
"TRF" Member

Quote:
OP: “ I don’t like wearing the watch”
4 pages of comments: “you should keep the watch”

We are on a forum that only exists because people who love to wear and collect Rolex watches want to talk about them.

Would you expecting something different?