The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 6 August 2024, 03:36 AM   #91
rohada
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krash View Post
I never opened up that thread but now I’m going to have to out of curiosity.
It's must see TV. I think you'll enjoy it. It's cringy and entertaining at the same time. Kind of like Family Guy, if you've ever watch it.
Old 6 August 2024, 04:08 AM   #92
AF_Rob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub/Polar/OP/BB
Tudor stores in lower class shopping malls

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohada View Post
It's must see TV. I think you'll enjoy it. It's cringy and entertaining at the same time. Kind of like Family Guy, if you've ever watch it.

SOLD! I’m headed over there. I’ve been scrolling past that title (the thread), thinking it wasn’t interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AF_Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2024, 04:13 AM   #93
TomInNJ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krash View Post
It’s not as if Rolex, Breguet, and Patek don’t want to be associated with poor people. They sell their watches where their customers are. There’s a big difference between Worth Avenue in Palm Beach, FL vs 69th Street in Upper Darby, PA. There’s not any multi-multi-millionaires walking around in Upper Darby.

BTW, I think it’s okay for me to pick on Upper Darby because I grew up there…

Yes, but it would be cool to pick up a Patek after you exit a concert at the Tower Theater.
TomInNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2024, 05:13 AM   #94
pigman08
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610,16710,214270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova1 View Post
This thread is everything I love about this forum. I don’t see why the original poster deserved to be banned. Just because he openly gave an opinion shared honestly by a sizeable portion of Rolex wearing people in this world? It opened discourse and discussion. We have enough blnr vs blro topics.
I would go as far as to say this thread is no worse than the constant “going to NYC, safe to wear my Rolex?” threads.
The romanticism of Rolex as a working class brand helps people feel better about themselves. It’s been a symbol of affluence and sophistication for over 50 years. Ever seen the Concorde ads?

I’ve seen the Concorde ads…I’ve also seen these two, along with countless others that portray Rolex as a watch worn by a rough & tumble breed that views Rolex as a watch that is tougher than they are and will still be ticking long after they aren’t… Different people have different perceptions of what Rolex symbolizes, and that’s okay… My dad was a roofing contractor for 45 years, and I spent far too many years working in offshore oilfields around the world: There’s nothing even remotely affluent or sophisticated about our career paths or lifestyles, but we both worked hard and bought watches that we knew we could wear everyday and would last a lifetime… I try not to overthink it and simply view Rolex as a watch that anyone can own if they are able to save up for it… It’s far too easy to pass judgement on socioeconomic situations in order to make myself feel better, and that’s simply a path that I’d rather not go down.

♛- Yet to be determined, but a white 16520 is on the short list. (I believe that I'll be able to read it better than my old 116520)
pigman08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2024, 05:34 AM   #95
rohada
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AF_Rob View Post
SOLD! I’m headed over there. I’ve been scrolling past that title (the thread), thinking it wasn’t interesting.
I, too, had the same thought and then out of boredom decided to read it. It seems mild enough on page 1. On page 2, you'll see where it takes a hard left into the fence. I think about post #32 is where it goes up a notch or two. Again, hope you get a chuckle out of it.
Old 6 August 2024, 06:44 AM   #96
eugenetsang
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610ln
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carguy87 View Post
ROFL my thoughts exactly. I get what the OP is trying to say but if they are selling enough watches and paying less overhead than having a more expensive lease in a more affluent area then they are enjoying a better net profit margin.

If customers shopping for a Tudor decide that’s not the appropriate location for a boutique by not patronizing it, then the free market will sort that out quickly as well.

end of the day, Tudor never really catered to the high net worth customers. Tudor is the "everyday" man's watch. Affordable and readily available. You can walk into the AD and walk out with whatever Tudor they have on the shelf. No BS. No gimmick. That's what I did.

So if Tudor ADs are popping up in "lower end" malls, that means there's a market for it and customers are gobbling them up. Otherwise why would there be a AD there?
eugenetsang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2024, 08:07 AM   #97
Nova1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigman08 View Post
I’ve seen the Concorde ads…I’ve also seen these two, along with countless others that portray Rolex as a watch worn by a rough & tumble breed that views Rolex as a watch that is tougher than they are and will still be ticking long after they aren’t… Different people have different perceptions of what Rolex symbolizes, and that’s okay… My dad was a roofing contractor for 45 years, and I spent far too many years working in offshore oilfields around the world: There’s nothing even remotely affluent or sophisticated about our career paths or lifestyles, but we both worked hard and bought watches that we knew we could wear everyday and would last a lifetime… I try not to overthink it and simply view Rolex as a watch that anyone can own if they are able to save up for it… It’s far too easy to pass judgement on socioeconomic situations in order to make myself feel better, and that’s simply a path that I’d rather not go down.

I think that’s fantastic. I’m not saying I agree with the OP message or attitude, I just think it’s a shame he’s banned for it. A Rolex is such a wonderful aspirational symbol for so many it’s such a tragedy that people can’t even get them.
Nova1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2024, 08:35 AM   #98
AF_Rob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub/Polar/OP/BB
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohada View Post
I, too, had the same thought and then out of boredom decided to read it. It seems mild enough on page 1. On page 2, you'll see where it takes a hard left into the fence. I think about post #32 is where it goes up a notch or two. Again, hope you get a chuckle out of it.

It surpassed all expectations.

AF_Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2024, 08:57 AM   #99
swiss_seth
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Icon6 for real for real

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcjvr View Post
Oooofff tough day for humility around here

Ain't it always! lmao
Old 6 August 2024, 09:42 AM   #100
Lesnerelli23
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatGirl View Post
Sadly, he’s definitely serious. Um, um, uh, don’t know how to respond. I grew up in a blue collar suburb of Philly. Our shopping center, whose anchor store was Pomeroy’s, holds some wonderful childhood memories. It definitely wasn’t a high end mall, but we loved it. No watch boutiques, unfortunately. I did get my first Timex there, at the age of 9.
OP, working class watch lovers can afford a Tudor, and isn’t’t it wonderful that some can get one at their local mall?

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

100%

I am not rich by any means… I have a decent watch collection 2 Rolex, 2 Tudors, an Omega and a Panerai.

I have a very good friend who most would consider “blue collar”. He admits that I’ve probably spent less on watches over the past 10 years than he has on golf!

People where I live spend their extra income on fishing boats, ATV’s, etc, and the activities that go along with them. Again, a comparable amount of money to my watches.

These watches are FOR anybody who chooses to spend their money on them.

Lesnerelli23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2024, 02:10 PM   #101
Carguy87
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: JC 126660
Quote:
Originally Posted by eugenetsang View Post
end of the day, Tudor never really catered to the high net worth customers. Tudor is the "everyday" man's watch. Affordable and readily available. You can walk into the AD and walk out with whatever Tudor they have on the shelf. No BS. No gimmick. That's what I did.

So if Tudor ADs are popping up in "lower end" malls, that means there's a market for it and customers are gobbling them up. Otherwise why would there be a AD there?
That was my point exactly. And if there weren’t customers “gobbling” them up then they’d close it or move it to a different location
Tudor: Black Bay GMT Opaline
Carguy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2024, 03:02 PM   #102
Guppydriver

Watch: 126710BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carguy87 View Post
That was my point exactly. And if there weren’t customers “gobbling” them up then they’d close it or move it to a different location
To your point...

I'd gladly drive to the "Mervyns Mall" to buy a Tudor if I was treated the right way when I walked in with my shorts and tee. It beats getting high browed as you file past the Patek section. Plus, think of all the money you save by hitting Sabarro's on the way out as opposed to the Ruth Chris next to the Vacheron Boutique.
Guppydriver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2024, 04:13 PM   #103
rlx123
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppydriver View Post
To your point...

I'd gladly drive to the "Mervyns Mall" to buy a Tudor if I was treated the right way when I walked in with my shorts and tee. It beats getting high browed as you file past the Patek section. Plus, think of all the money you save by hitting Sabarro's on the way out as opposed to the Ruth Chris next to the Vacheron Boutique.

Agree. I was completely ignored in a Patek boutique in Italy. I was the only customer there.

rlx123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2024, 04:15 PM   #104
rlx123
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by train-time View Post
Absolutely should be in lower class malls, they are still using aluminum bezel inserts in their Black Bay models, and why did he get banned for posting an observation. Tuff audience!

He can’t access this forum anymore? Wow!

rlx123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2024, 04:41 PM   #105
John Doyle
"TRF" Member

Tudor is the poor man's Rolex - nothing surprising here
John Doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2024, 06:16 PM   #106
Mrngrz46
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Master View Post
Yes I know I'm being snobby, but I don't think it's good for their brand.

I was in a shopping mall today in a suburban town with around 100k people. Most of the residents live in public housing.

The shopping mall is kind of run down, and has a poor vibe.

Tudor has a store there.

I don't think Tudor should be doing this. Having a store in a mall aimed at working class and unemployed people just makes the watches look "cheap".

There's a reason Rolex, Breguet, Patek Philippe, and so on avoid malls like this. It's not just the lack of sales, it's protecting the brand from being associated with poor people.

Anyone agree with me on this?
While I agree the location might not be the best, I totally disagree with your analysis of tudor target.

Tudor target IS the working low/middle class so are those people you described where 1 tudor equate 2 monthly salary +/-.

Rolex clearly and intentionally spit on the face of the middle class trying to climb in the holy trinity so someone has to fill the gap.

I hope I was clear
Mrngrz46 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2024, 06:40 AM   #107
Oxfordian
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea Dweller
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinnakeet View Post
Not entirely true. Rolex, Tudor and Cartier were selling watches as fast as they came in the Florida Mall. Rolex and Cartier no longer wanted their products sold in that mall.
So the stores were profitable just in the wrong place?

Small Rolex, Omega, Seiko and Oris Collection
Oxfordian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2024, 04:46 AM   #108
quattro98
"TRF" Member

I grew up in a small town that was clustered with other towns to make up a small-medium sized metropolitan area.

In those days, every middle sized city (including ours) had a Rolex dealer. They were usually a family jeweler and there were no watch boutiques. In that area, Rolex and Omega were the high end. You had to travel for anything else.

Now, that same area doesn't have a sales channel for either Rolex or Omega. Watches being sold as a normal consumer good was a nice thing. Now many people have to travel just to see a watch that isn't even offered for sale.
quattro98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2024, 05:17 AM   #109
KatGirl

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxfordian View Post

Rolex is on a mission to move even more upscale. They are dumping a lot of Mom and Pop jewelry store ADs in areas they don’t find worthy of their products. So, they are the snobs, along with Cartier. I don’t understand it, because a lot of regular folks own Rolexes and Cartiers. Maybe these brands would rather we didn’t? It really reeks of elitism.

Kat

KatGirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2024, 06:08 AM   #110
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrngrz46 View Post
trying to climb in the holy trinity so someone has to fill the gap.
H. Moser, MB&F, and Rexhep Rexhepi are a great Modern Trinity to aspire to. Still, surely you agree Rolex's SkyD is an incredible accomplishment

Love timepieces and want to become a Watchmaker? Rolex has a sensational school.
www.RolexWatchmakingTrainingCenter.com/

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2024, 06:12 AM   #111
gamingdoctor
"TRF" Member

I feel like I've seen rolexes more frequently on the wrists of blue collar workers. Nothing wrong with that, of course.

Also OP shouldn't have been banned.
gamingdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2024, 06:20 AM   #112
mgsooner
"TRF" Member

A town of 100K persons where "most" of the residents live in public housing. Did my Uncle write this?
mgsooner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2024, 06:34 AM   #113
Serif
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Rolex is on a mission to move even more upscale. They are dumping a lot of Mom and Pop jewelry store ADs in areas they don’t find worthy of their products. So, they are the snobs, along with Cartier. I don’t understand it, because a lot of regular folks own Rolexes and Cartiers. Maybe these brands would rather we didn’t? It really reeks of elitism.

Kat

I like your take on this and the elitist comment is spot on 👍
Serif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2024, 06:52 AM   #114
Kinnakeet
"TRF" Member

Watch: WG Breguet Typexx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxfordian View Post
Yes. Rolex and Cartier no longer wanted to be in that mall. The mall is going down hill. When those two brands pulled out Mayors felt it was best to close that location. Rolex and Cartier want to be in certain areas and not in other areas. There is still a Rolex AD in the northern Tampa area, I’ll be surprised if they are still open in several years.
Kinnakeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2024, 07:28 AM   #115
MichelleP
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 40RG Olive dial
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlx123 View Post
He can’t access this forum anymore? Wow!

Looks like he was banned. A bit overboard for this post IMO
Old 8 August 2024, 11:51 AM   #116
gm58
"TRF" Member

Would be interested in knowing where exactly OP was mentioning, hope he wasnt banned because of his post. I think we can debate and look at it from a brand marketing angle instead of some attack against a particular demographic
gm58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2024, 12:02 PM   #117
CarlOver
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Kat

Upscale. Snobs. Regular folks. How do you define these?
CarlOver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2024, 12:35 PM   #118
Guppydriver

Watch: 126710BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlOver View Post
Upscale. Snobs. Regular folks. How do you define these?
Kat, Kinnakeet and MichelleP - Snobs

Chewie- Regular Folk
Guppydriver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2024, 01:14 PM   #119
csaltphoto
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamingdoctor View Post
I feel like I've seen rolexes more frequently on the wrists of blue collar workers. Nothing wrong with that, of course.

Also OP shouldn't have been banned.
That's what's cool about Rolex. It's both aspirational and yet not completely unaffordable. And rugged and works well. My career has straddled both blue and white collars and I've seen them everywhere. Oil platforms and boardrooms. Commercial fishing boats and movie sets. Just a great watch that many people recognize and want.
csaltphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2024, 05:07 PM   #120
Mr Ben
"TRF" Member

Watch: 226570
I wonder to what extent Tudor really control this.

If I think through my local retailers, the Rolex AD’s are where you would expect them - there are only a handful and they’re in high end shopping streets and areas well known for jewellery and watches. Presumably very tightly controlled.

Tudor has a wider range of retailers carrying stock and these are naturally located in a wider range of areas. I’m thinking of places like Beaverbrooks/ Ernest Jones etc. These are national chains with about 200 stores between just these two examples so I’d presume Tudor don’t get some sort of veto on where they decide to place individual stores throughout the country.

If we are talking boutiques, that may be different as there aren’t many. But in the U.K. at least they will all be backed by someone - I think they are all Watches of Switzerland but I may be wrong.

Anyway - as someone said, Hans Wildorf’s aim was for Tudors to be widely available and it was intentional to make them “more modest”. The current model seems to achieve this.
Mr Ben is offline   Reply With Quote