The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 24 May 2020, 12:34 AM   #121
ronricks
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgwatchguy View Post
+1. Couldn’t have said it better.

There’s an abundance of people here who can see the future and understand more about Rolex and watch economics than perhaps Rolex itself.
My other hobby is Real Estate. This reminds me of ‘experts’ who were saying we reached the top of the market back in 2015 and to just wait ‘x’ more months and you can get property at a discount because the market was going to massively correct. Nobody knows what is going to happen. If you say something long enough of course you will eventually be right.
ronricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2020, 12:37 AM   #122
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtwer View Post
People seem to believe Rolex would continue to supply the same amount of watches while the demand may fall, thus resulting in a fallen price. I don’t think so. I believe Rolex will ramp down production to keep supply below demand.
I think this is the smart play and Rolex probably realise it too, altho as they will want to be seen to be carrying on as tho nothing has happened as is their mantra and was during the hype, so they will couch this in Covid/Act of God and shutting down facilities terms rather than a market decision, that will be the line.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2020, 12:39 AM   #123
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Perhaps it is losing faith in the perceived 'value' of currencies play to smartly move to things of intrinsic value? i seem to recall this happening in 2008 or so. As currencies are right now behind highly devalued, which we all know is nothing more than a CONfidence game, there is a time to move out of currencies and into things of 'portable' value (watches, gold, rare artwork, historic automobiles, musical instruments, etc).

During the 2008 crisis Sir Evelyn de Rothschild said on CNBC "On the other hand, if you're very safety conscience you hang on to your gold bars".

Forward to 6 minute mark.

Love timepieces and want to become a Watchmaker? Rolex has a sensational school.
www.RolexWatchmakingTrainingCenter.com/

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2020, 12:43 AM   #124
peterpl
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronricks View Post
My other hobby is Real Estate. This reminds me of ‘experts’ who were saying we reached the top of the market back in 2015 and to just wait ‘x’ more months and you can get property at a discount because the market was going to massively correct. Nobody knows what is going to happen. If you say something long enough of course you will eventually be right.
If your other hobby is real estate (which surprisingly mine is as well - thats how I made most my money actually) - well you would know comparing Rolex's with the Real Estate industry is completely different and does not belong in the same sentence.
peterpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2020, 12:49 AM   #125
DG123
"TRF" Member

Watch: Oyster Perpetual
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtwer View Post
People seem to believe Rolex would continue to supply the same amount of watches while the demand may fall, thus resulting in a fallen price. I don’t think so. I believe Rolex will ramp down production to keep supply below demand.
As far as I know, worldwide demand for Rolex watches is as strong as it's ever been.
DG123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2020, 12:53 AM   #126
peterpl
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG123 View Post
As far as I know, worldwide demand for Rolex watches is as strong as it's ever been.
What planet are you on? LOL

Coronavirus and 40 Million+ ppl out of jobs only in the US caused a exponential growth in watch demand? hahaha
peterpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2020, 12:56 AM   #127
DG123
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpl View Post
What planet are you on? LOL
I live in San Francisco, California. Here, the shops that are open for business do have customers. I expect that when the Rolex AD's in this area open for business they will have customers and they will sell watches.
Old 24 May 2020, 12:58 AM   #128
Cossak
"TRF" Member

The watches are toys and jewelry now. Just like Harley Davidson aged out Rolex will too age out, many younger buyers won’t have resources or want to continue this trend. It won’t happen overnight but long term.
Cossak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2020, 01:02 AM   #129
ronricks
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
If your other hobby is real estate (which surprisingly mine is as well - thats how I made most my money actually) - well you would know comparing Rolex's with the Real Estate industry is completely different and does not belong in the same sentence.
It’s not the codependency of the hobbies it’s the people who keep saying “wait x more months” no matter the hobby or subject. It’s asinine. Nobody knows a damn thing.
Old 24 May 2020, 01:08 AM   #130
Calatrava r
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Lugs View Post
If you pay close attention to DavidSW’s inventory, the good stuff continues to go quickly...
This is true for all the re-sellers from what I can see. People are home and not spending any money on entertainment, travel, cruises, sporting venues, clothes or food out. There is a ton on money going unspent and people have time on their hands. So the hot watch models are even in more demand.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2020, 01:20 AM   #131
superpop
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 and SS SkyD
I think bottom line, things are going to change. Would be great if Rolex went DTC with guardrails to prevent flipping. I would love to go to a website, pick out what I wanted, and buy it. Maybe they could have a few boutique factory stores where you could not buy but rather try on whatever you wanted before ordering. AD model is a problem in situations like this because while Rolex can throttle production, the AD's cannot survive if Rolex has to dramatically trim back production to meet decreased demand. No brick and mortar store can survive selling 10-15 watches a month.
superpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2020, 01:33 AM   #132
DG123
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
People are home and not spending any money on entertainment, travel, cruises, sporting venues, clothes or food out. watch
Most retailers with closed store fronts have been reporting 100% year over year gains for their online sales division. Streets are filled with trucks from the USPS, UPS, FedEx, Amazon etc... delivering merchandise to residential homes.
Old 24 May 2020, 02:17 AM   #133
chiscott_29
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, ALS, Omega
At this point I am here just to read what the naysayers have to say because I find it somewhat comical. I completely understand it's somewhat counter-intuitive, but as things stand right now demand for watches from the "Big 4" (Rolex, AP, Patek, and RM) is getting along just fine. I don't know what more evidence anybody needs for that, but it seems people are going to say and reference whatever fits their narrative.

Prices for some models have indeed softened, but they have not fallen off a cliff and they are not going to fall off a cliff for the foreseeable future.

And note, by "foreseeable future" one can only really look at a handful of months because the reality is none of us know how this story will continue or end. At this point, both a V-shaped recovery with a vaccine and a systemic worldwide depression-like meltdown are viable outcomes. If the former happens, prices are going to go even higher and offend people even more. If the latter happens, well...I hope nobody needs to sell their watches for awhile.
chiscott_29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2020, 02:40 AM   #134
barters
"TRF" Member

Hey guys, just my point of view as someone who has lived in Geneva for 10 years

Rolex is a (Hans-Wilsdorf) foundation. Most of what they make is donated to social causes. They have huge liquidity & no short term share holder pressure to deviate from their business model. That being part of the reason why people want a Rolex is because they can't have one.

I really think at the moment we have stasis for the hot ss models:

1. On one hand wait lists could shorten for 2 reasons a) Less folk signing up b) folk who were on it turning the watch down for reasons of prudence should they get the call.
2. On the other hand Rolex has been closed down for months due to the Coronavirus so supply will have taken a significant knock.

The secondary market prices for ss Rolex are stupid those have a long way to come down & probably will but not until Q3/Q4 this year. I have to quote Billy Ray Valentine for the reasons why "Hey, we’re losing all our damn money, and Christmas is around the corner, and I ain’t gonna have no money to buy my son the G.I. Joe with the kung-fu grip! And my wife ain’t gonna f… my wife ain’t gonna make love to me if I got no money!"
barters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2020, 03:04 AM   #135
DG123
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barters View Post
On the other hand Rolex has been closed down for months due to the Coronavirus so supply will have taken a significant knock.
Stores being closed for two or three months points to an abundance of supply, not a reduction of supply.
Old 24 May 2020, 03:16 AM   #136
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cossak View Post
The watches are toys and jewelry now. Just like Harley Davidson aged out Rolex will too age out, many younger buyers won’t have resources or want to continue this trend. It won’t happen overnight but long term.
No offense but have you ever been part of a corporate board that discusses products and marketing to an ever younger demographic? You wouldn't believe it but at incredibly well financed and progressive companies like Rolex, they actually anticipate consumer trends. At any rate, I don't think the experts here have to worry about anything except the wait lists...
Old 24 May 2020, 03:18 AM   #137
ronricks
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Stores being closed for two or three months points to an abundance of supply, not a reduction of supply.
Many AD’s have been selling watches during the shutdown via curbside pickup. They have no watches to replenish their supply. My AD hasn’t received a shipment from Rolex since the second week of February. All they have left are two tone and precious metal watches nobody wants with no idea when Rolex is going to send them another shipment.
Old 24 May 2020, 03:25 AM   #138
MRPWRPATX21
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I live in San Francisco, California. Here, the shops that are open for business do have customers. I expect that when the Rolex AD's in this area open for business they will have customers and they will sell watches.
While I would say it’s impossible to truly measure demand (and thus know if it’s as strong as it’s ever been), it’s at very least strong enough to more than cover the current supply (you can argue whether it’s next to nothing or not as affected as some think, either way...), plus still cover the reduced volume of watches that they will produce this year, at least based on the AD interactions I’ve had lately.

The real test will be what happens to the market in 2-5 years down the line if things take longer to get back to “normal” and/or shit gets real with China.
MRPWRPATX21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2020, 03:27 AM   #139
MRPWRPATX21
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Many AD’s have been selling watches during the shutdown via curbside pickup. They have no watches to replenish their supply. My AD hasn’t received a shipment from Rolex since the second week of February. All they have left are two tone and precious metal watches nobody wants with no idea when Rolex is going to send them another shipment.

The 2 I’ve been at and spoken with said the same thing. They’re each assuming a shipment in June, but hoping for one in May.
MRPWRPATX21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2020, 03:35 AM   #140
barters
"TRF" Member

Rolex (& most things in CH) have been closed down due to the virus so supply will have been hit. The unknown element is how many of these hot watches (which is what I am referring to) Rolex are holding in inventory.
barters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2020, 03:35 AM   #141
DG123
"TRF" Member

Quote:
. All they have left are two tone and precious metal watches nobody wants .
The styles you proclaim "nobody wants" comprise 90% of Rolex product line.
Old 24 May 2020, 03:40 AM   #142
djyolky
Banned

Quote:
Apparently, not that far.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
djyolky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2020, 03:44 AM   #143
HopWatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/PP
Rolex and their AD’s prefer to sell more PM and TT models which is why, IMO, the high demand SS watches will continue to be hard to acquire for most buyers. Shipments will be arriving soon to an AD near you. Let’s see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HopWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2020, 03:45 AM   #144
ronricks
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
The styles you proclaim "nobody wants" comprise 90% of Rolex product line.
While true they are sitting with no buyers. Meanwhile, they emptied out their whole stock of SS pieces including ones that they had been hoarding in their ‘safe’ over the last 8 months prior to the virus. Product line does not equal desirability. Those can and are two distinctly different things.
Old 24 May 2020, 03:46 AM   #145
DG123
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRPWRPATX21 View Post
While I would say it’s impossible to truly measure demand (and thus know if it’s as strong as it’s ever been), it’s at very least strong enough to more than cover the current supply (you can argue whether it’s next to nothing or not as affected as some think, either way...), plus still cover the reduced volume of watches that they will produce this year, at least based on the AD interactions I’ve had lately.

The real test will be what happens to the market in 2-5 years down the line if things take longer to get back to “normal” and/or shit gets real with China.
I believe year 2020's "reduced volume" is likely 200,000 watches (out of the usual 1 million annual production). This is in line with AD's closing their doors for two months, so the production decrease matches and, or, balances with the AD's 2020 annual sales revenue decrease.
As for demand, Rolex is an extremely strong worldwide brand name which for a hundred years now has withstood well a wide range of economic environments. All factors considered, Rolex company is likely fine today and as well will be 5 years from now.
Old 24 May 2020, 03:51 AM   #146
minhc88
"TRF" Member

Quote:
LOL never believe articles that are written by gray dealers or have close links to the gray market.

It is in their own interest to hype up watches. Just look at the prices of the hot models. They have definitely dropped 100% and in some cases like the BLNR its dropped ALOT from their peaks.

Economy is down the shitter. 36 or is it 39 million ppl now unemployed in the US? You saying that aint going to affect any luxury watch market? Keep dreamin.

Unemployment in the US will hit 50 million by end of the year. Who gives a crap about a BLNR, BLRO or a LV. LOL

China economy stopped giving growth forecasts this year. This means they wont meet any growth target at all. Chinese economy down = luxury watch market down the shitter. Especially if they bring the new regulations in HK which they are proposing now.
It's inevitable.. the gray prices will spiral down.. just some patience for those looking for that SS model.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk
minhc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2020, 03:54 AM   #147
SudiYunus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Cartier Panthere
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiscott_29 View Post
At this point I am here just to read what the naysayers have to say because I find it somewhat comical. I completely understand it's somewhat counter-intuitive, but as things stand right now demand for watches from the "Big 4" (Rolex, AP, Patek, and RM) is getting along just fine. I don't know what more evidence anybody needs for that, but it seems people are going to say and reference whatever fits their narrative.

Prices for some models have indeed softened, but they have not fallen off a cliff and they are not going to fall off a cliff for the foreseeable future.

And note, by "foreseeable future" one can only really look at a handful of months because the reality is none of us know how this story will continue or end. At this point, both a V-shaped recovery with a vaccine and a systemic worldwide depression-like meltdown are viable outcomes. If the former happens, prices are going to go even higher and offend people even more. If the latter happens, well...I hope nobody needs to sell their watches for awhile.
Very well said
DJ 36 White Dial ,CasiOak
Sub ND
SudiYunus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2020, 04:02 AM   #148
cdmorenot
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex & Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyk View Post
No offense but have you ever been part of a corporate board that discusses products and marketing to an ever younger demographic? You wouldn't believe it but at incredibly well financed and progressive companies like Rolex, they actually anticipate consumer trends. At any rate, I don't think the experts here have to worry about anything except the wait lists...

Hold up. So you’re saying the incredibly progressive and well financed folks at Rolex anticipated this pandemic and the fall out associated with it when organizations such as WHO and entire nations including the most powerful country in the world couldn’t ?

Okay. So Rolex has officially achieved God level fanboyism. I’m out.

Old 24 May 2020, 04:05 AM   #149
DG123
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmorenot View Post
Hold up. So you’re saying the incredibly progressive and well financed folks at Rolex anticipated this pandemic and the fall out associated with it when organizations such as WHO and entire nations including the most powerful country in the world couldn’t ?

Okay. So Rolex has officially achieved God level fanboyism. I’m out.

garyk's post was addressing a separate subject, nothing at all to do with the Coronavirus pandemic.
Old 24 May 2020, 04:11 AM   #150
Fleetlord
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Rolex corporate does not own the Rolex Boutiques. Do you happen to know if
the boutiques for the brands you mention (Omega , Panerai etc...)are owned by the brand company or independently owned ?
To my knowledge:

Omega is SWATCH owned, as is the Tourbillion boutiques that sell Omega and other higher end Swatch Group brands.

Panerai is a mix of corporate stores AND stores owned by AD's that run the boutiques.

Breitling is the same as above. Some corporate, some AD owned.

Tag Heuer is all company owned.

IWC I think is mostly company owned. Maybe some in Asia are partnerships.

AP is company owned.

VC is company owned.

ALS? Not Sure.

RM is company owned.

Etc...
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote