The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 9 February 2022, 09:57 AM   #151
CalSRQ1
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 5513
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsprow View Post
- Great products
- Demand exceeds supply
- Increasing wealthy customers
- Popular with celebrities and web personalities
- Strong profits
- Great reputation through advertising, sports

Looks like they need a new business plan.
Exactly. Well put.
CalSRQ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2022, 10:36 AM   #152
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mquarter View Post
It's funny how, despite Rolex watches themselves being a real luxury product, the pre- and after-sales customer experience is anything but. Sacrifice your dignity sucking up to ADs while they treat you poorly. Dealing with scummy greys, or at the very least visiting them in stores that fall well short of luxurious.
I don't use those type of ADs or grey dealers. The people who get my money are highly professional, courteous, occupy well appointed, welcoming and clean premises, and make every visit a happy, comfortable and memorable experience.

Maybe you don't have any good dealers? That's a shame. But it is no reason to make blanket assumptions. I guess HK is in another galaxy to rural South West England.
Harry-57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2022, 10:41 AM   #153
Kevin of Larchmont
Banned

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
Quote:
Originally Posted by mquarter View Post
It's funny how, despite Rolex watches themselves being a real luxury product, the pre- and after-sales customer experience is anything but. Sacrifice your dignity sucking up to ADs while they treat you poorly. Dealing with scummy greys, or at the very least visiting them in stores that fall well short of luxurious. Not having the freedom to customise your watch after you bought it through dial or bracelet swaps. It's the opposite of customer centric.

But even if Rolex were moving to a corporate owned boutique model like AP, where you can at least experience a degree of politeness and a nicely furnished boutique to spend some time in, ​it's probably a ~10 year journey to get that retail footprint up. I'm guessing there's at least hundreds of ADs and to phase them out and replace will take so long and still wouldn't address the terrible customer experience problem.

The terrible customer experience is a risk to the brand of Rolex. Clearly it's damn durable because there's still no shortage of people after them. But it's not invincible.
I too have had nothing but excellent service from my AD. I’ve purchased five Rolexes and one Tudor from them over six years. The only jewelry I’ve purchased from them was jewelry I actually needed - wedding rings; there has been no pressure or request to buy anything else. They are responsive to my inquiries and kind, perhaps because I too am kind. I also bought a used Panerai from them that was running peculiarly and they serviced it at no charge - twice. I was on a “wait list” for my last two watches of three and one month respectively with no deposit requested.

There are a lot of complaints about ADs here and it’s only fair that we also share stories about ADs that provide excellent service.
Kevin of Larchmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2022, 11:50 AM   #154
bluestreak
"TRF" Member

If you can afford a Rolex, you’re usually able to get what you want when you want it. It leads to a sense of entitlement. So when you can’t get what you want simply because you have money, your entitlement makes it seem like bad service.

I’ve been to multiple ADs in multiple states. In every single one I’ve been treated courteously and with respect. They have all been frank and honest with me about the situation and I haven’t been pressured to buy anything. This has been consistent In the 10 or so ADs in 8 cities I’ve visited (I travel a lot for work and pop into an AD if I’m in town).

These stories about rude and abusive SAs that laugh at customers is not congruous at all with my experience.
bluestreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2022, 12:06 PM   #155
ProCoach
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116520 white index
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestreak View Post
If you can afford a Rolex, you’re usually able to get what you want when you want it. It leads to a sense of entitlement. So when you can’t get what you want simply because you have money, your entitlement makes it seem like bad service.

Bingo.
ProCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2022, 02:39 PM   #156
teck21
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Black Bay 58
Quote:

I’ve been to multiple ADs in multiple states. In every single one I’ve been treated courteously and with respect. They have all been frank and honest with me about the situation and I haven’t been pressured to buy anything. This has been consistent In the 10 or so ADs in 8 cities I’ve visited (I travel a lot for work and pop into an AD if I’m in town).

These stories about rude and abusive SAs that laugh at customers is not congruous at all with my experience.

I would really love to see instances of these sales people openly laughing in the face of customers as is so commonly alleged here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
teck21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2022, 02:41 PM   #157
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Quote:
Originally Posted by teck21 View Post
I would really love to see instances of these sales people openly laughing in the face of customers as is so commonly alleged here.

Never experienced it in 2022 years .

One AD is a bit "too smart to talk to you" ,therefore they don't laugh at all ..
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2022, 05:18 PM   #158
Wing No
"TRF" Member

Here's what I've gotten from all this discussion:
Rolex is doing fine and very happy and doesn't need to change anything.
Customers are unhappy because they can't get watches from ADs.
Customers don't want to spend $25,000 at a grey dealer for a $15,000 watch.
Customers do want to spend $100,000 at an AD buying jewelery, Tudors, undesirable model Rolexes, and any other junk they don't want to get the watch they want for $15,000.
There are 3 kinds of people, those who are good at math and those who aren't.

Conclusion:
Rolex doesn't need to change its business plan. It needs to change its advertising.
For diamond covered Rolexes show rappers, pimps, and drug dealers wearing the watches while shooting each other, beating hos with coat hangers, and selling crack.
For GMTs and Daytonas show Wall Street investment types smiling as they look at their Rolexes in their safes.
Problem solved.
Wing No is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2022, 06:35 PM   #159
Uggi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TswaneNguni View Post
Never experienced it in 2022 years
Wow. How old are you are?!
Uggi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2022, 01:27 AM   #160
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
Quote:
This is all based on the assumption that ADs are just shoveling watches to greys and that the resellers are hoarding watches. I don’t think anyone has given any evidence that those things are happening.

This is not an Econ 400 problem. It’s a price ceiling and arbitrage problem. Hoofbeats usually equal horses and not zebras.

But I guess I’m impressed you know a bunch of economic terms.
Run a multi-factor model on the variables I mentioned and come back and tell us your results. I’d bet you’ll find very close to what I said already. Crypto profits parked in watches. You can see how many resellers are hoarding inventory based with a quick examination of their social media accounts. If it was arbitrage problem, you would’ve seen a price crash in secondary pricing when production was limited during the pandemic. But instead the opposite happened, so they’re hoarding. There is no arbitrage opportunity because resellers are only getting hot models when purchasing large quantities of undesirable models. It has nothing to do with them getting references cheaper. There is an additional barrier to entry and cost of carry. Then with lacking of inventory direct at AD for retail purchasers, it only increases demand. Is that real demand? You tell me, but sure seems to be an artificial demand component unless you believe in single variable only. I’m impressed you know a bunch of economic terms as well
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2022, 01:31 AM   #161
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wing No View Post
Here's what I've gotten from all this discussion:
Rolex is doing fine and very happy and doesn't need to change anything.
Customers are unhappy because they can't get watches from ADs.
Customers don't want to spend $25,000 at a grey dealer for a $15,000 watch.
Customers do want to spend $100,000 at an AD buying jewelery, Tudors, undesirable model Rolexes, and any other junk they don't want to get the watch they want for $15,000.
There are 3 kinds of people, those who are good at math and those who aren't.

Conclusion:
Rolex doesn't need to change its business plan. It needs to change its advertising.
For diamond covered Rolexes show rappers, pimps, and drug dealers wearing the watches while shooting each other, beating hos with coat hangers, and selling crack.
For GMTs and Daytonas show Wall Street investment types smiling as they look at their Rolexes in their safes.
Problem solved.
This is what you got from this discussion?
Krash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2022, 01:38 AM   #162
Srct
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV
Rolex doesn’t need a new model - it seems to be doing rather well- it’s more a case those that buy or want to buy Rolex products need to change mindset and expectations . I include myself in that as current supply conundrum is a first world problem on what are luxury goods.
Srct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2022, 04:01 AM   #163
Gekota
"TRF" Member

Watch: u wearin'?
They would not want to lose their territorial physical presence and brand name by eliminating the ADs, many of which (especially in Asia), played pivotal roles in cultivating and spreading the Rolex brand name, reputation and prestige locally and regionally over the years.
Old 12 February 2022, 01:42 PM   #164
RampageWatch
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krash View Post
This is what you got from this discussion?

Sense of humour..
:Thinking:

RampageWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2022, 02:16 PM   #165
Kelvin Knight
"TRF" Member

Then buying a Rolex will finally be as “easy” and as “fair” as buying Air Jordan’s or a PS5!
Kelvin Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2022, 02:17 PM   #166
afmars
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLRO
Dream on
afmars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2022, 08:42 AM   #167
bonovox
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: your time
Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyPhilpott View Post
You can bet your butt that Rolex know exactly what they are doing.
bonovox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2022, 09:03 AM   #168
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Can't provide what you do not have enough of no matter what your business model is. The list through corporate would be much worse than at your local AD. At least you have a person to connect with at your local AD.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote