The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 7 February 2022, 04:06 AM   #1
Coronette
"TRF" Member

Rolex Needs a New Business Model

Rolex needs to sell direct to consumer. That would completely eliminate the unfair lists the jewelers manipulate. Once the watch is purchased from Rolex its sent to an authorized jeweler that has all the fakes in the case to try on and they set the watch up once it arrives at the AD of your choice. This would eliminate all the AD grey market and waiting list shenanigans. I wouldn't hesitate to go on a Rolex corporate wait list because you know its going to be handled fairly and you wont get smoke blown up your A$$ as the ADs are doing now.
Coronette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2022, 04:09 AM   #2
Roddypeepa
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ41 SubC SMP mast
Yeah new going to happen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Roddypeepa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2022, 04:12 AM   #3
dnd2984
2024 Pledge Member

Sound like a logistical nightmare for corporate. Not going to happen. Nothing wrong with what they are doing. We are in a free market.
dnd2984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2022, 04:12 AM   #4
dpt.calvin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coronette View Post
Rolex needs to sell direct to consumer. That would completely eliminate the unfair lists the jewelers manipulate. Once the watch is purchased from Rolex its sent to an authorized jeweler that has all the fakes in the case to try on and they set the watch up once it arrives at the AD of your choice. This would eliminate all the AD grey market and waiting list shenanigans. I wouldn't hesitate to go on a Rolex corporate wait list because you know its going to be handled fairly.
Why would Rolex want to eliminate the grey market and AD waitlists? They work in their favor.

Sounds like someone is bitter they can’t get what they want from an AD. Buck up and play the AD game, pay grey, or get out. Simple.
Old 7 February 2022, 04:15 AM   #5
dpt.calvin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnd2984 View Post
Sound like a logistical nightmare for corporate. Not going to happen. Nothing wrong with what they are doing. We are in a free market.
lol and instead of competing with buyers in the local market, people would then be competing with buyers globally.
Old 7 February 2022, 04:16 AM   #6
MilgaussPE
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Rolex needs to sell direct to consumer. That would completely eliminate the unfair lists the jewelers manipulate. Once the watch is purchased from Rolex its sent to an authorized jeweler that has all the fakes in the case to try on and they set the watch up once it arrives at the AD of your choice. This would eliminate all the AD grey market and waiting list shenanigans. I wouldn't hesitate to go on a Rolex corporate wait list because you know its going to be handled fairly and you wont get smoke blown up your A$$ as the ADs are doing now.
Lol go ask sneakerheads how well this model works.
MilgaussPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2022, 04:17 AM   #7
Tim Plains
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
If Rolex sold direct, I would put my name as well as everyone I know on the list, and flip them non stop. Myself, wife, kid, parents, siblings, deceased great grand parents, friends, you name it, one of every available hot model. I'm sure many others would do the same and you would just make the secondary market worse than it is now.

Bad idea, sorry. The situation is already out of hand and the only solutions really are to increase supply or decrease demand.
Tim Plains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2022, 04:18 AM   #8
cvo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 117610LN 116610LN
Consumers would benefit but we are pawns in the game. There's no reason for Rolex to change the business model - the current model works exactly the way they want it to.
cvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2022, 04:19 AM   #9
Coronette
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpt.calvin View Post
lol and instead of competing with buyers in the local market, people would then be competing with buyers globally.
Exactly, Every watch in the global market would be at your fingertips when available.
Old 7 February 2022, 04:19 AM   #10
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Are you serious? What makes you think Rolex "the master" of brand recognition and guarding the brand doesn't have everything they want totally under control now???? Rolex is sitting on top of the industry because they dont listen to what other less successful companies are trying.

Rolex doesn't care if you are inconvenience or cant buy their watches. Once you wrap your head around this simple truth you will understand how Rolex works like no other company.
Old 7 February 2022, 04:20 AM   #11
dpt.calvin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Exactly, Every watch in the global market would be at your fingertips when available.
You think that’s how it works? lol
Old 7 February 2022, 04:20 AM   #12
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

i'm sure rolex who are selling more watches than ever want to listen to the internet for advice lol
huncho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2022, 04:20 AM   #13
Coronette
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Plains View Post
If Rolex sold direct, I would put my name as well as everyone I know on the list, and flip them non stop. Myself, wife, kid, parents, siblings, deceased great grand parents, friends, you name it, one of every available model. I'm sure many others would do the same and you would just make the secondary market worse than it is now.

Bad idea, sorry. The situation is already out of hand and the only solutions really are to increase supply or decrease demand.
HOWEVER to eliminate this you only get 2 watches per year per consumer from Rolex. No hording.
Old 7 February 2022, 04:21 AM   #14
RolexSimon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It then becomes a wait list of 95% flippers with multiple email addresses, pseudonyms and overseas addresses. Situation gets far far worse.
RolexSimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2022, 04:21 AM   #15
ALF61
"TRF" Member

Another thread bashing Greys. Look it is simple: you have excess demand and Greys only fill that need by providing trustworthy service. Without them, transactions would be direct. Are you going to blame the buyers who pay 3X retail next ?
ALF61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2022, 04:22 AM   #16
dpt.calvin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
HOWEVER to eliminate this you only get 2 watches per year from Rolex.
Please continue making up more silly rules for Rolex that they will never consider or even hear lol
Old 7 February 2022, 04:23 AM   #17
OrangeSport
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M
How would Rolex benefit from this extra work?
Old 7 February 2022, 04:23 AM   #18
Coronette
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpt.calvin View Post
You think that’s how it works? lol
Not now it doesn't but it sure could.
Old 7 February 2022, 04:25 AM   #19
Coronette
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeSport View Post
How would Rolex benefit from this extra work?
Happy customers and ADs without empty cases. And all the watches Rolex could sell.
Old 7 February 2022, 04:26 AM   #20
Tim Plains
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
HOWEVER to eliminate this you only get 2 watches per year per consumer from Rolex. No hording.
HOWEVER, here people can't even get one and you think a limit of two will solve it.

I can have a good 100 people add their names to the waiting list for two each before dinner time today. You don't think everyone else who's keen on Rolex values wouldn't do the same and on a greater scale? Get real.

Right now, many new watches just end up at grey dealers, but your model would result in 100% of them sitting in grey dealer windows.
Tim Plains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2022, 04:26 AM   #21
Coronette
"TRF" Member

Tesla does it, Works for them doesn't it?
Old 7 February 2022, 04:27 AM   #22
GradyPhilpott
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
You can bet your butt that Rolex know exactly what they are doing.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2022, 04:28 AM   #23
Coronette
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Plains View Post
HOWEVER, here people can't even get one and you think a limit of two will solve it.

I can have a good 100 people add their names to the waiting list for two each before dinner time today. You don't think everyone else who's keen on Rolex values wouldn't do the same and on a greater scale? Get real.

Right now, many new watches just end up at grey dealers, but your model would result in 100% of them sitting in grey dealer windows.
Why not Rolex would love that i'm sure. As long as you foot the non refundable 1K deposits per watch.
Old 7 February 2022, 04:28 AM   #24
OrangeSport
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M
Quote:
Happy customers and ADs without empty cases. And all the watches Rolex could sell.
The customers buying are happy

They are selling all they can make

Doubt they're bothered shout the empty cases
They never had it so good
Old 7 February 2022, 04:30 AM   #25
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Not now it doesn't but it sure could.
Rolex doesnt care if you are inconvenienced or cant buy their watches. Rolex doesnt want to be accessible.
Old 7 February 2022, 04:31 AM   #26
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Couple of issues with your plan:
1) In the history of retail there has never been a greater sales tool than the insane valuations of mass-produced trinkets we see now. Rolex would have to be crazy to mess with that. They should LOVE the grey market in its current form, and I bet they secretly do.
2) Assume Rolex announced today that tomorrow, 12PM GVA time, first come, first served waitlists for all their models open. At 12:00:01 those waitlists would be filled by flippers/greys using automated machinery to secure their place in line. Zero reason for Rolex to get into an arms race with bot developers. Any hurdle they put in place will be much easier to clear for full-time flippers than the random guy from the street trying to buy a Sub for his 40th...

Maybe ADs should vet people before they go on waitlists? Well, welcome back to exactly where we are now.
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2022, 04:37 AM   #27
Coronette
"TRF" Member

What difference does it make who buys the watch as long as its fairly distributed? Who is to stop flippers now? This way Rolex could control distribution and ban known flippers from buying a watch. Computers can track anything today.
Old 7 February 2022, 04:39 AM   #28
dpt.calvin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
What difference does it make who buys the watch as long as its fairly distributed? Who is to stop flippers now? This way Rolex could control distribution and ban known flippers from buying a watch. Computers can track anything today.
You assume Rolex doesn’t like flippers.

Life ain’t fair, pal. Especially when it comes to luxury goods. This isn’t some life necessity.
Old 7 February 2022, 04:40 AM   #29
HogwldFLTR
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: Too many to list!
Quote:
Seems to me that Rolex doesn't need anything; they seem to be happy with the way things are going currently.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2022, 04:49 AM   #30
fsprow
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
- Great products
- Demand exceeds supply
- Increasing wealthy customers
- Popular with celebrities and web personalities
- Strong profits
- Great reputation through advertising, sports

Looks like they need a new business plan.
fsprow is offline   Reply With Quote