The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 9 July 2024, 10:47 AM   #151
Submariner868
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexOmegaGS
The only ones who will notice you are wearing a Rolex are those wearing Rolexes and thieves.
Submariner868 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2024, 10:52 AM   #152
georgew
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: mostly Subs
OP - good decision keeping it and wearing it - it will grow on you (I;ve been wearing a rolex continuously now for 30 yrs - started with YM, then in 2011 mostly subs, occasionally a GMT or daytona). Very few comments over the years (all but 1 complimentary) - but I'm certain it gets noticed frequently which I don't pay any attention to and don't care (I wear it for me). I'll add that on more than 1 occasion, while in an upscale store, the sales person did notice my watch and seemed to be a bit more attentive (assumed that I could afford their mechandise - not a bad thing at all). enjoy it, you earned it
georgew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2024, 07:45 PM   #153
928ktgold
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: what’s next.
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgew View Post
OP - good decision keeping it and wearing it - it will grow on you (I;ve been wearing a rolex continuously now for 30 yrs - started with YM, then in 2011 mostly subs, occasionally a GMT or daytona). Very few comments over the years (all but 1 complimentary) - but I'm certain it gets noticed frequently which I don't pay any attention to and don't care (I wear it for me). I'll add that on more than 1 occasion, while in an upscale store, the sales person did notice my watch and seemed to be a bit more attentive (assumed that I could afford their mechandise - not a bad thing at all). enjoy it, you earned it
What was the 1 bad comment? Curious
928ktgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2024, 09:26 PM   #154
georgew
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: mostly Subs
Quote:
Originally Posted by 928ktgold View Post
What was the 1 bad comment? Curious
The 1 negative comment actually came from a "friend" I have known for close to 20 yrs - a fellow boater I've cruised with (actually helped get into boating), had dinner with etc. At dinner 2 yrs ago with 2 other couples he says (out of the blue): "I see your wearing a rolex (which I've worn 24/7 for 30 yrs which he knows), I always thought they were pretty ostentatious". My reply was simply that I wear them because I like them, and they are bullet proof. Now, this person is a successful medical professional who lives a pretty upscale lifestyle (boating - has 2 boats - 1 is 50 ft). So, I thought this was a good example of "self own" (he wears a G shock BTW). Haven;t seen this couple since, and won't.
georgew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2024, 09:31 PM   #155
Alex_TA
"TRF" Member

Not so hidden advertising,
Alex_TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2024, 09:40 PM   #156
nachopc
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex Only
Submariner is not a rare watch, many people wear it. People ? Move on…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
nachopc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2024, 02:16 AM   #157
SS Oyster
2024 Pledge Member

NO ONE will notice a submariner

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SS Oyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2024, 02:17 AM   #158
njlam
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_Bauer View Post
I got my Sub a couple months ago from an AD and thinking of selling. I like the watch but main reason is I don’t feel comfortable wearing it. I don’t like to wear it around work, friends, or family because it feels like I’m showing other people up. I prefer to be more under the radar. Ive only been wearing it around my house, when I’m alone running errands around town, or date nights.

Selling it would open up funds for me to buy watches where I won’t feel that way (plus pocket a few grand). Current collection is Sub, quartz Grand Seiko, and Seiko dive watch. Once sold I’m thinking my new collection would be IWC Mark XX, Longines dress watch, and Seiko dive.

Thoughts on me selling the Rolex?
I just noticed the OP's screen name...The Jack Bauer from 24 would definitely wear the Sub...glad you are keeping it.
Laine V38 SS - Grand Seiko SGBA407 SS - Baltic Aquascaphe SS - Garmin Approach S62
TAG Heuer Formula One - Swatch MoonSwatch Mission to the Moon/Mercury/Jupiter/Neptune
njlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2024, 05:40 AM   #159
DAGMoney
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Two-tone Sub
Buy & keep what YOU like, and it sounds like that isn't the Sub. TIme to move it out...

Plenty of quality options for a dive watch that are under the radar, and won't be noticed by other than WIS types. GO, Blancpain, or Tudor are all great examples. The IWC you are considering also looks good...
DAGMoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2024, 07:29 AM   #160
orangespicy
2024 Pledge Member

I think less people notice your watch than you think. but if you wear it and it doesn't bring you joy (or if the uncomfortable feeling is greater than your love for the watch), i'd sell it!
orangespicy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2024, 07:56 AM   #161
Mimar2910
Banned

Hence no regrets, you can let go!
Mimar2910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2024, 10:40 AM   #162
Bladeshot
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT 1675 PCG Gilt
No one notices our watches. You are thinking about it. You may be overthinking it.

Everyone else has far more, and other things on their mind. You may regret selling it.

Give it an honest try. Put it on. Wear it everywhere.

You sound humble. I operate in that mode. I wear all kinds of watches and no one notices.

Wear it everywhere for 90 days. If you are embarrassed about it after that, let it go. I think you may be surprised at how you settle in after wearing it 100% for 90 days.

It’s just a watch, albeit a nice watch.

Good luck.

Just another WIS who loves to trade.
@bladeandwatch1 on IG
Old 11 July 2024, 11:10 AM   #163
AnthonyMX
"TRF" Member

Get yourself an Explorer I - A very under-the-radar watch no one notices, yet quality Rolex quality.
AnthonyMX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2024, 12:50 PM   #164
Ferrari-F430
"TRF" Member

I just want to add, I have had my Rolex for over 2 decades now, and I'm glad I've enjoyed it as much as I have! When I look back at pictures 15-20 years ago (and of course everything in-between) I can sometimes find my Rolex pictured on my wrist and it reminds me of how it became so special to me along the way- and why it means so much to me now. If I had been afraid to wear it, I think I would have regrets!
Ferrari-F430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2024, 01:25 PM   #165
AdamShark
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-Master ii
According to market data from July 2024, your Rolex Submariner will cost between $9,000 and $13,000 on the second-hand market. If your watch is in good condition, with original certification documents and packaging, you may be able to get a quote near the high end; Assuming you sell a Submariner for $12,000, you can consider the following options:
IWC Mark XX
The IWC Mark XX is typically priced between $4,000 and $5,500, depending on the model and material, and Longines' formal watches have a wider price range, generally between $1,500 and $3,000. After purchasing the above two watches, you will still have a balance of about $5,000, which is the perfect situation... But love is never as good as the price, sticking to what you like is loving life, if it is me, I will keep it, I love rolex, so if you really like it, please keep it
AdamShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2024, 12:01 AM   #166
Milhaus
"TRF" Member

I felt that way when I fiorst got my sub. a few years later I wear it and my DSSD proudly (except in sketchy areas lol).
Milhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2024, 06:28 PM   #167
doc212121
2024 Pledge Member

If you don't like it anymore, go ahead to sell
doc212121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2024, 09:21 PM   #168
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II Evr, SUB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_Bauer View Post
I got my Sub a couple months ago from an AD and thinking of selling. I like the watch but main reason is I don’t feel comfortable wearing it. I don’t like to wear it around work, friends, or family because it feels like I’m showing other people up. I prefer to be more under the radar. Ive only been wearing it around my house, when I’m alone running errands around town, or date nights.

Selling it would open up funds for me to buy watches where I won’t feel that way (plus pocket a few grand). Current collection is Sub, quartz Grand Seiko, and Seiko dive watch. Once sold I’m thinking my new collection would be IWC Mark XX, Longines dress watch, and Seiko dive.

Thoughts on me selling the Rolex?
Interesting, IMHO nothing can be more under the radar than a SUB, been wearing mine for 35 years and never give it a second thought. Most folks would be more impressed in the latest Apple Watch than a SS Rolex.....
911991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2024, 10:44 PM   #169
StanCho
"TRF" Member

A good friend of mine literally pulled my arm up to check the time. He had no clue what he was looking at or what it was (Sub ND). He got the time though, no mention or comments about the watch.

Just wear and enjoy. :)
StanCho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2024, 10:48 PM   #170
JRell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLNR Jubilee
OP is keeping the watch FYI
Old 12 July 2024, 10:55 PM   #171
White Collar Boy
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PAM111
Sounds like he was unhappy that night for some reason and took an undeserved pop at you. Is his dumb call worth losing friendship though? Rhetorical, really; don’t expect a public conversation about it. :) I try to avoid negative people too.

Quote:
The 1 negative comment actually came from a "friend" I have known for close to 20 yrs - a fellow boater I've cruised with (actually helped get into boating), had dinner with etc. At dinner 2 yrs ago with 2 other couples he says (out of the blue): "I see your wearing a rolex (which I've worn 24/7 for 30 yrs which he knows), I always thought they were pretty ostentatious". My reply was simply that I wear them because I like them, and they are bullet proof. Now, this person is a successful medical professional who lives a pretty upscale lifestyle (boating - has 2 boats - 1 is 50 ft). So, I thought this was a good example of "self own" (he wears a G shock BTW). Haven;t seen this couple since, and won't.
White Collar Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2024, 07:16 PM   #172
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Wear and enjoy
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2024, 07:18 PM   #173
bp1000
"TRF" Member

Nobody cares what your watch is.

If you like watches, wanted it, wear it and enjoy it.
bp1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2024, 07:29 PM   #174
bp1000
"TRF" Member

Quote:
He's entitled to voice his opinions even if they weren't well thought through which is often the case in those social situations and you don't have to care but to close the door on a 20 year friendship because of a silly comment over a watch, thats pretty extreme.

Shocks me how fragile and intolerant some people are. I literally couldn't care what someone else says or does even if it's directed at me.
bp1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2024, 10:03 PM   #175
Widows Son
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt10p View Post
Only that it was ridiculous wearing a Rolex in work (I ran a Police driving school at the time).
When we went out to play with the Public the G Shock came out.
The comments were intended to run me down which made no difference at all to me.
I wore my AK 14000 for years on duty. Granted I worked in an area where I rarely went hands on very often. I also wore my Seiko 6309 on a rubber strap alot.
Widows Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2024, 10:10 PM   #176
mobster600
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes
Those folks who you are concerned with. Don't you think they see other wealth in the world not just yours? Have they ever seen a fancy car or big house before? I dont know what your concern is for them. But if you're focused on not making others feel your wealth when you enter the room, you may need to rethink that. Look if you were wearing a solid yellow gold watch I'd say read the room before hand. Live your life, YOUR life
mobster600 is offline   Reply With Quote