The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 5 December 2006, 10:09 PM   #1
leopardprey
Banned

Watch: Panerai 233
Hong Kong Report!

In Hong Kong. Tried on many different Rolex watches. The Sea Dweller which I was considering was just too bulky and heavy for my taste. It is now between the Sub No Date and Expolorer 1.

Prices I am getting quoted in Kowloon, Hong Kong - after visiting about 6 different ADs.

Sub no Date: $3200-3400
Explorer 1 : $ 3100-$3300
Sea Dweller: Around $4200-$4350

All prices are the same for cash or credit card, and no extra Tax added. These are the prices before I have started to barter with the price. Figure I can knock another $100-$200 off the price.

All prices the converted US Dollar amount. (exchange rate now is 7.74 HK to 1 US$)

One of the Sub No dates I looked at had the luminous circle on the bezel triangle just slightly off center.

Was good reading this forum and the Rolex Report prior to the trip, so knew what to look for and make sure no fakes.

Here is something for you who are thinking of buying a Rolex in the US to think about. For the AD price of a Rolex in the US, you could buy a roundtrip ticket to HK and buy your Rolex. Add about $500 extra for couple of days hotel, food and sightseeing. A good deal and a nice 4-5 day weekend!
leopardprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2006, 11:09 PM   #2
AJC

Sounds like a great trip and thanks for the tip about the travel.It would be worthwhile when next buying a Rolex to investigate a holiday as well.

Aaron
AJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2006, 12:22 AM   #3
Flyjet601
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them
Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
In Hong Kong. Tried on many different Rolex watches. The Sea Dweller which I was considering was just too bulky and heavy for my taste. It is now between the Sub No Date and Expolorer 1.

Prices I am getting quoted in Kowloon, Hong Kong - after visiting about 6 different ADs.

Sub no Date: $3200-3400
Explorer 1 : $ 3100-$3300
Sea Dweller: Around $4200-$4350

All prices are the same for cash or credit card, and no extra Tax added. These are the prices before I have started to barter with the price. Figure I can knock another $100-$200 off the price.

All prices the converted US Dollar amount. (exchange rate now is 7.74 HK to 1 US$)

One of the Sub No dates I looked at had the luminous circle on the bezel triangle just slightly off center.

Was good reading this forum and the Rolex Report prior to the trip, so knew what to look for and make sure no fakes.

Here is something for you who are thinking of buying a Rolex in the US to think about. For the AD price of a Rolex in the US, you could buy a roundtrip ticket to HK and buy your Rolex. Add about $500 extra for couple of days hotel, food and sightseeing. A good deal and a nice 4-5 day weekend!

Been to many of those dealers in and around HK.
Hard to beat the prices over here in HK/Macau. I will never buy a Rolex anywhere else.....
Hope you enjoyed your trip.....

Flyjet601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2006, 12:22 AM   #4
montecristo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234 DateJust
Quote:
All prices are the same for cash or credit card, and no extra Tax added.
They must know that you are a tourist, you can probably squeeze a few more percent if you do cash.
montecristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2006, 12:34 AM   #5
DolphinV8
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LV
for brand new watches? AD or grey market?
DolphinV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2006, 01:32 AM   #6
drchan45
"TRF" Member

Following in your footsteps...

I'll be doing what you're doing at the end of this month so I'd love to hear how everything turns out!

The consistent advice I've gotten from HK veterans is to try for a 10% discount plus 2-3% on top of that for cash, with a greater discount possible for TT or 18k.

If you have the information, I'd really appreciate knowing the current list price in HK dollars for the following models:

14060m, 16610, and 16613.

Although all the ADs seem to be acting in unison vis a vis discounting, both Zurich Watch and Geneve Watch have been repeatedly mentioned to me as good places to shop Kowloon side.

Good luck and I look foward to hearing from you!
drchan45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2006, 01:48 AM   #7
Dr S

Watch: 1665/16610lv/16600
Hi - I will be travelling to Hong Kong early next year - can you advise on the best/reputable AD's.

Is Hong Kong about the cheapest place to buy at the moment - or does anyone have a better jusrisdiction for buying (is Dubai still resonable?)?

I've bought from all over and mainly becasue they had the watches at the time - but may be more selective and may start to include a purchase on a stop-over from time to time.
Dr S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2006, 01:51 AM   #8
leopardprey
Banned

14060m, as stated above for price. Will check on the others.

Dolphin, Yes those are brand new D and Z models, from ADs.

A few of the dealers have been real nice and helpful, a few have been snobs.

It is funny, trying to decide between the Exp 1 and Sub ND. ONe dealer tells me the Exp looks better and is better watch and fits me better, the other states the Sub ND looks better.

Have also been looking at the Omega Railmaster SS with clrear back. Nice watch. No date, and simple co-axial movement. Thinking seriously of getting the Sub ND and the Omega. Then selling the Omega SMP that I have.
Old 6 December 2006, 07:57 AM   #9
JackHerer
"TRF" Member

What % off are they offering to you leopardprey??? Will be going back in Feb to buy another Rolex

Last edited by JackHerer; 6 December 2006 at 09:18 AM..
JackHerer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2006, 03:15 PM   #10
summer26
"TRF" Member

hello everyone! am new here. i just got back from hongkong and was able to buy my first rolex. i paid HK$39780 or US$4920 . it's a 31mm oyster gold/steel, dome bezel .
summer26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2006, 03:16 PM   #11
montecristo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by summer26 View Post
hello everyone! am new here. i just got back from hongkong and was able to buy my first rolex. i paid HK$39780 or US$4920 . it's a 31mm oyster gold/steel, dome bezel .
20% off?
Old 6 December 2006, 03:20 PM   #12
summer26
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by montecristo View Post
20% off?
more like 15% i think. i got lucky because 2 weeks ago they were selling it at 10% off. am glad i waited .
summer26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2006, 03:24 PM   #13
montecristo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by summer26 View Post
more like 15% i think. i got lucky because 2 weeks ago they were selling it at 10% off. am glad i waited .

You are right, forgot its tax free in HK, was doing the math with 8.375% NY tax.
Silly me.

Old 6 December 2006, 04:27 PM   #14
slim
"TRF" Member

Watch: RG DD,SD43,Pam104
So Hong Kong would be the cheapest place for a watch from an AD? What about in switzerland? How much are the LV Subs over there?
slim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2006, 04:38 PM   #15
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by slim View Post
So Hong Kong would be the cheapest place for a watch from an AD? What about in switzerland? How much are the LV Subs over there?
From what I hear, Switzerland is very expensive. Want a real good deal? Seriously, Auckland is the place!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2006, 05:56 PM   #16
Timascus

HK prices have gone up a bit since the handover back to China. I'd guess they have decent prices but you have to know what you are looking for b/c those sob's will try and get you every which way they can.

I bought a pair of Leica binoculars in HK and had to wait 3 weeks for it. When the product came in, they tried to charge me another $100 USD for the carrying case. I told them to go read the brochure (which is in German), it specifically says "case included."

I saw some of the most tasteful "bling'd" Rolexes in Zurich. Their prices are higher but the worksmanship is substantially better than what the HK pimpers can do.
Timascus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2006, 11:14 PM   #17
montecristo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slim View Post
I got my new 116234 in Hamburg for 30% list. But thats also because we know them.
Old 7 December 2006, 01:51 AM   #18
C.J.
"TRF" Member

Wow, sounds like great prices The Sub and Explorer are both fantastic watches. You really can't go wrong with either one
Old 7 December 2006, 11:09 AM   #19
leopardprey
Banned

Seems the ADs in HK, are about all offering 10% off their list price.

Sub with date, is going for $3900.

Think I will buy the Sub No date. Probably will pay $3400 for it, unless I can get the down another $100 US.

For dealers, I found the most helpful to be:

Oreintal Watch Company in Natan Road in Ya Ma Tei

and Dicksons, located at the Peninsula Hotel (TST, Kowloon)

Also King Fook Jewlers on Natan Raod.

Also, Zurich Watch Company.

All are ADs.
Old 7 December 2006, 04:28 PM   #20
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Seems the ADs in HK, are about all offering 10% off their list price.

Sub with date, is going for $3900.

Think I will buy the Sub No date. Probably will pay $3400 for it, unless I can get the down another $100 US.

For dealers, I found the most helpful to be:

Oreintal Watch Company in Natan Road in Ya Ma Tei

and Dicksons, located at the Peninsula Hotel (TST, Kowloon)

Also King Fook Jewlers on Natan Raod.

Also, Zurich Watch Company.

All are ADs.
I had purchase a TT Black Sub from Zurich Watch Co. in 1994. Great deal and fantastic selection there.

JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote