The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 7 December 2006, 11:45 AM   #1
leopardprey
Banned

Watch: Panerai 233
Hong Kong Vacation plans for you!

Ok, here is a plan for those of you wanting to travel to Hong Kong for the USA to buy a Rolex. This comes from myself who has travelled to HK over a dozen times and lived in HOng Kong for 6 months for study.

US MSRP price on Submariner with Date. $5175
with state tax (6% for Indiana) comes to total $5485.

for same cost:

Cost for same watch in Hong Kong. $3950.
Airfare round trip economy from most US Cities. $1000, can even get cheaper if get out of season and shop right.
5 days hotel, food, transportaion, and entertainment: $1000 ($200 per day which is $100 for hotel and $100 for food and misc.)

Total is $5950

Recommend for hotel, best deal in Hong Kong: the YMCA (salisbury or Ya ma tei) Great rooms and service and good locations, and big indoor swimming pool to test out your new Rolex Submariner.
leopardprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2006, 11:55 AM   #2
montecristo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234 DateJust
I live in HK for 13 years growing up and I figured I can also chip in.

except I will have to disagree with you on a certain parts.

Airfare: Use your miles, spend more, if you are departing from the east coast and going to fly 16+ hours, do yourself a favor and fly business. 4-5k if bought ticket straight or pay for a coach ticket (approx 1k) and upgrade yourself to business.

Hotel: Even I can stay at my family house in Central, I usually prefer hotel as its more convenient, my recommendation for those on a budget is Shearton at TST, walking distance to at least 10 AD (next to the peninsula, 1/4 of peninsula price) , if you get it via priceline, lowest I have gotten was 75 dollars a night for a room with a cal. king size bed, + service charge and tax.

Food is something I can either indulge on or go fast food. For those on a budget, you can survive healthily with a 30 dollar meal budget, that or you can have lavish 3000 dollar meals, your choice. In general, if I am not feeling crazy, 50 bucks sounds about right.

I can recommend restaurants of any kind (No cats and dogs) for those who are interested, as for hotel there are some newly built ones out there they are very decent as well, I simply prefer the harbour view more.
montecristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2006, 05:06 AM   #3
veilstylez
"TRF" Member

Wow is it really that much cheaper in HK? Is this Grey market? or AD's? thats 25% off!!!
veilstylez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2006, 06:21 AM   #4
Timascus

I don't know about current prices (been about a year since my last HK trip), but they are cheaper outside the USA. This makes me think about what my AD is doing with the extra $$.

One more tip about HK, for those thinking about a vacation. You can often find good prices if you call Asian travel agencies for a tour. I have booked tours to get the hotel rates and after a courtesy call to the guide (letting him know that I will detatch from the tour), off I go to do my things.
Timascus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2006, 06:51 AM   #5
montecristo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234 DateJust
http://www.discoverhongkong.com/usa/...tml?id=82&st=L

Here are some vacation planning packaged that are suggested by the HK tourism board.

You don't have to go with those packages, but its an good idea how much it costs.
montecristo is offline   Reply With Quote