The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 14 January 2010, 12:16 PM   #1
mmcclaskey
"TRF" Member

Watch: rolex
Daytona running slow

I have a Daytona 116523 that is running 60 seconds a day slow. The Dealer suggested I do the following before sending it back to him for repair. I am not concerned with getting this problem resolved, I just have never heard of this problem and the suggested procedure for me to try. Anyone have any information?

"It sounds like a hairspring entanglement. Let the watch run down until it
stops. Then give it a tap the back with your index & middle finger as if a
doctor is testing for a vein. Set the watch then wind it 35-40 times. This
should do it. "
mmcclaskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2010, 02:09 PM   #2
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
A tangled hairspring would cause your watch to run very fast........

60 seconds a day slow is unacceptable, and I would suspect that this is not an Authorized Dealer who would say such a thing....

However, provided the watch is genuine, I would not do any business with this Dealer and have my watch corrected elsewhere.. If it is from an AD, you have a warranty and can send it to Rolex yourself - directly..

Last edited by Tools; 15 January 2010 at 01:51 PM..
Tools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2010, 12:30 AM   #3
mmcclaskey
"TRF" Member

Thanks,

The watch was purchased from a non-AD brick and mortar store on the east coast and I am on the west coast.

The watch is genuine (back removed).

The dealer asked me try this method before sending it back to him at his expense.

I had never heard of hairspring entanglement and thumping the back before and I was curious if anyone else had heard of this repair method.

BTW my local AD wanted $100 to bring the watch in for me to look at and no discount plus almost 10% tax.
Old 15 January 2010, 12:57 AM   #4
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmcclaskey View Post
Thanks,

The watch was purchased from a non-AD brick and mortar store on the east coast and I am on the west coast.

The watch is genuine (back removed).

The dealer asked me try this method before sending it back to him at his expense.

I had never heard of hairspring entanglement and thumping the back before and I was curious if anyone else had heard of this repair method.

BTW my local AD wanted $100 to bring the watch in for me to look at and no discount plus almost 10% tax.
Well yes you can get hairspring entanglement and stick together oil on hairspring but as Larry pointed out.Then what happens watch speeds up how exactly did you test your watch ??.The best way to test is wind crown clockwise say 50 full crown turns.The set watch with reliable time source wear as normal check daily with same setting source.Then average out the loss or gain say over five days,if watch is out of COSC spec a average of -4 to + 6 seconds a day then have it regulated a very simple task.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2010, 02:29 AM   #5
Rikki
TechXpert

Watch: 5512 s/s Sub
It shouldn't be a hairspring problem as Tools said but possibly a cap jewel got knocked out of place causing the balance to stop at times in certain positions without your knowledge. Best get it to a professional and have it looked at. The hairspring problem is called overcoiling and can happen after a sudden sharp jarring or hit and sometimes it will come undone by itself but usually it doesn't. Overcoiling will always cause a watch to go faster because you're shortening the arc of the balance wheel in half for 290 degrees of amplitude to in some cases less than 130 degrees. Hope that helps Rikki
Rikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2010, 01:18 PM   #6
mmcclaskey
"TRF" Member

I tested the time over 7 days using the US Time website. Every day it lost over 60 seconds a day. It didn't seem to matter whether it was on my wrist or on the winder. I have several other Rolexes and they are within COSC specs.

Again thanks for the help. The best part of this forum is I learn something everyday.
Old 15 January 2010, 01:58 PM   #7
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
I can't say I care much for your AD's demands...

If you are in the Seattle area, the Ben Bridge chain works closely with a Rolex Training and Service school in the Bellevue area..

There is also a great watch shop that is an Omega Service Center, but also works on Rolex - Nesbit's Fine Watch Service...

Any of those should be able to regulate your Daytona at a reasonable cost...and let you know if there is any other damage..
Old 16 January 2010, 08:05 AM   #8
Ironstark
TechXpert

Watch: SS/W Skydweller
Do you run the chronograph all of the time? Do you use the chronograph hand as a centre seconds hand?
There is a friction spring under the chronograph wheel to ensure the hand glides smoothly around the dial. If you run the chronograph constantly, this spring will wear and cause very poor timekeeping and reduced power reserve.
A cap jewel dislodged could also cause the problem.
If it is the friction spring, a partial strip down at least (maybe even a service) would be required, if it is a cap jewel it could be corrected quickly by a competent watchmaker.
You need to get it checked by a professional.
Ironstark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2010, 01:53 PM   #9
mmcclaskey
"TRF" Member

I'm in Olympia.

No I don't run the chronograph as a second hand.

I agree that Ben Bridge has good repair people.

I have bought from them in the past when they would discount. On the Daytona they wouldn't. The non-AD dealer was willing to discount.

When I noticed the problem, I talked to the service manager and he suggested that I try "Thump Repair" first. They are willing to repair at no cost to me.

It was something I had questions on so I asked the forum for their comments. The watch has not run down yet, but I will try their suggestion then send it back to them. It's not like I don't have another Rolex to wear.

I don't expect this method will work and I don't expect to have any problem getting it repaired.