The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 31 January 2010, 09:05 PM   #1
hennabav
Banned

Watch: --Rolex--
Submariner LV Collectibility

Just wondering what people's thoughts are on the future value or collectibility of the Submariner LV as Rolex is planning to take it out of production or already has. Do people think the value would really go up??

I tried it on once before but the green is definitely a color you have a harder time to match with clothing but I'll describe it as unique and is certainly a more casual watch.

Let us hear your thoughts on whether this will be a collectible piece in the future.
hennabav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2010, 09:21 PM   #2
slcbbrown
"TRF" Member

Watch: 50's TT t-bird
I, personally, feel that Rolex makes plenty of each model to keep them from becoming investment vehicles. It might become somewhat special among watch fans, but you're right about the green color.
slcbbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2010, 09:22 PM   #3
Atomant
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hennabav View Post
Just wondering what people's thoughts are on the future value or collectibility of the Submariner LV as Rolex is planning to take it out of production or already has. Do people think the value would really go up??

I tried it on once before but the green is definitely a color you have a harder time to match with clothing but I'll describe it as unique and is certainly a more casual watch.

Let us hear your thoughts on whether this will be a collectible piece in the future.
Don't worry about the LV's green bezel Jon. You can always swap it with a black sub bezel. This way you can have a submariner with maxi dial.
Old 31 January 2010, 09:36 PM   #4
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Cannot see any modern day Rolex becoming what I would call collectable just too many of them around.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2010, 09:38 PM   #5
esm
"TRF" Member

Watch: this, bro...
imo they will probably become a collector's item say in.... 50+ years time
esm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2010, 10:14 PM   #6
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 SUBMARINER Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
I hope so!!

LV 2.jpg

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2010, 10:33 PM   #7
hennabav
Banned

Watch: --Rolex--
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerFan1965 View Post
I hope so!!

Attachment 111839
Did you get one from Tempoking or Bodybump with the Rolex "Casket"??? I was thinking about that before. In my opinion, that would not lose value if u keep it in BNIB condition.
hennabav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2010, 10:49 PM   #8
petesjag
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerFan1965 View Post
I hope so!!

Attachment 111839
If you keep it in the plastic case as is for many years to come..then you will have something really special... An BNIP (p for plastic) LV...
pete
Old 31 January 2010, 11:11 PM   #9
Jason71
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Tudor Divers
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Cannot see any modern day Rolex becoming what I would call collectable just too many of them around.
I hear this sentiment time and time again. I would agree if the population on the earth stayed constant. However, the world population is growing exponentially, and that trend is not projected to change in the coming years. I would agree that maybe Rolexes will not become as "highly collectible" as years past related to very low production numbers, but my feeling is that they will still become collectible and will command an inflated price. Below is a chart that shows the change in world population over the last ~50 years......

Quote:
Originally Posted by esm View Post
imo they will probably become a collector's item say in.... 50+ years time
Based on the chart, I would say that you might be right.........

Just Say "NO" to Polishing
Card-Carrying Member of the Global Association of Retro-Grouch Curmudgeons
LIfe is too short to wear inexpensive watches
PLEXI IS SEXY
Jason71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2010, 11:57 PM   #10
karmatp
"TRF" Member

It's a modern day Rolex, way to many produced to be a investment piece.
Old 1 February 2010, 12:08 AM   #11
zippaul
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LV
I just bought one from DavidSW and I also bought a black insert from Steve Mulholland, both right here on TRF. Best of both worlds and that is what I would recommend for most people to do for variety.
As far as an investment, nope, as far as collectable, sure. I think what makes the 16610LV unique (today for a sub) is the maxi-dial added to the already classic (50 years) design. Soon, if all indications are correct Rolex will implement the same changes on a stainless sub as they have done on the two tone (Gold and black, Blue and gold) models recently. New case, squarer lugs, ceramic bezel (insert) and newly designed bracelet. There are plenty of 16610LV's around to be had but if you get one there will be one less. Wear it and enjoy it.
zippaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2010, 12:21 AM   #12
mike
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippaul View Post
I just bought one from DavidSW and I also bought a black insert from Steve Mulholland, both right here on TRF. Best of both worlds and that is what I would recommend for most people to do for variety.
As far as an investment, nope, as far as collectable, sure. I think what makes the 16610LV unique (today for a sub) is the maxi-dial added to the already classic (50 years) design. Soon, if all indications are correct Rolex will implement the same changes on a stainless sub as they have done on the two tone (Gold and black, Blue and gold) models recently. New case, squarer lugs, ceramic bezel (insert) and newly designed bracelet. There are plenty of 16610LV's around to be had but if you get one there will be one less. Wear it and enjoy it.
I think that's well said Paul.

Certainly the numbers would say the LV shouldn't be considered among the likes of the plastic divers upon which the heritage was built, but there are those that consider the LV a "transitional" piece if you will.

The blending of the classic with the maxi dial places the LV in a unique position and the ability to swap inserts gives it a bit of versatility.

Time will tell.....
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2010, 03:37 AM   #13
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 SUBMARINER Patron

Watch: GMT's
Just to add..........

If you are a Rolex Collector, then all Subs are "collectible" - and nobody who is a collector of the model would be without an LV in the collection..

But, it will be decades before those who bought them originally at inflated premiums ever realize their money back... It will probably be as long before we see if this variation actually connects with the "investor collector"
Old 1 February 2010, 03:39 AM   #14
Renoir
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
If you are a Rolex Collector, then all Subs are "collectible" - and nobody who is a collector of the model would be without an LV in the collection..
+1
Renoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2010, 04:02 AM   #15
Juggernaut
"TRF" Member

For what it's worth, according to the market values guide that came with my copy of Mondani's Submariner story, the earliest LV's (they're labled Mark 1-5) seem to be the most desirable, although not to me, because I prefer the rehaut engraving and the darker green insert...
We'll see if these minute differences make any difference in "50 years"....

Here are some scans from Mondani estimates guide...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sub LV_0003.jpg (82.7 KB, 216 views)
File Type: jpg Sub LV_0002.jpg (54.3 KB, 217 views)
Juggernaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2010, 11:44 AM   #16
sakuraba
"TRF" Member

Watch: sun dial
Quote:
Originally Posted by hennabav View Post
FWIW it would be more versatile if you buy a black insert.

As for collectibility, I think it is a very relative term. It would be marginally more collectible IMO than the 16610 since there are less of them, but definitely not as rare as, say, a Red Sub.
sakuraba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2010, 05:17 PM   #17
4000 feet
"TRF" Member

Watch: ROLEX.
I'm thinking that the watch will hold its value and if we see any collectability it will be 30 to 40 yrs down the road. Probaly the most valuable of these will be examples that havent been polished and have all boxes and papers adding provenence to them. Mabey will start going up in value 20 yrs from now. Right now to new and still in production. It depends on what the collectors gravitate to.
4000 feet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2010, 06:22 PM   #18
Singslinger
"TRF" Member

The world of collectible Rolexes is perverse because watches which were unpopular in the past have become the most sought-after in the present.

So it is that the original Explorer II with the orange/yellow GMT hand which flopped when it was launched in the 1980s is now very much in demand, as is the case with the Daytona from the 1970s which sold poorly when it was introduced. In both instances, the relative scarcity has made them in demand today.

As for the Sub LV, I believe that it is a very popular watch, which IMO means that its collectibility value is very low - unless of course Rolex suddenly discontinues it.

Since I don't see this happening anytime soon...
Singslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2010, 01:51 AM   #19
sakuraba
"TRF" Member

Watch: sun dial
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singslinger View Post
The world of collectible Rolexes is perverse because watches which were unpopular in the past have become the most sought-after in the present.
Good point

And just in case history decides to repeat itself, I'm shopping for the least popular Milgauss.
sakuraba is offline   Reply With Quote