The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 5 February 2010, 06:37 PM   #1
Nicko
Banned

Icon8 Crown popped out of my Sub ***PICS***

Well, now I did it...I was winding my 7928 this morning after it had been sitting for 2 days and was going to give it 20 turns of so when "SNAP" the stem in the crown breaks and I wind up with the damn thing in my hand! Ahhh, what the hell did I do?

Nicko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2010, 06:41 PM   #2
SLS
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT's & Sub's
Happened to me on my 5513 before I had it serviced...really no big deal IMO, just stinks that it happened so soon.
Scott

Member No. 922
SLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2010, 06:45 PM   #3
swatty
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: The Game
Sorry to see that, but I think the fix won't be to painful
swatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2010, 06:45 PM   #4
Nicko
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLS View Post
Happened to me on my 5513 before I had it serviced...really no big deal IMO, just stinks that it happened so soon.
Scott
Thanks Scot, I'm going to take it to the watchmaker this afternoon and see what he says. I imagine it's nothing more than installing a new stem, the pisser is this watch was serviced less than a year ago. Not by me, but by the previous owner.
Old 5 February 2010, 06:53 PM   #5
SLS
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT's & Sub's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicko View Post
Thanks Scot, I'm going to take it to the watchmaker this afternoon and see what he says. I imagine it's nothing more than installing a new stem, the pisser is this watch was serviced less than a year ago. Not by me, but by the previous owner.
Every watchmaker is different...mine kind of follows the Rolex mentality and replaces any piece that is worn. To me a crown and tube should be replaced at every service, I like my watches watertight! You may want to have him do a once over since he has it opened up. FWIW, every old piece I get, goes to him and I have him go through them so I know what I have.
Scott

Member No. 922
SLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2010, 06:57 PM   #6
Nicko
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLS View Post
Every watchmaker is different...mine kind of follows the Rolex mentality and replaces any piece that is worn. To me a crown and tube should be replaced at every service, I like my watches watertight! You may want to have him do a once over since he has it opened up. FWIW, every old piece I get, goes to him and I have him go through them so I know what I have.
Scott
Will do! It's will get the once over just in case!
Old 5 February 2010, 08:36 PM   #7
Singslinger
"TRF" Member

Exactly the same thing happened with my Tudor Sub (sorry, I don't know the model number, but it was bought around 1999).

Even worse was that it happened just 2-3 months after I got it brand new from a Rolex AD. I shoved the stem back in and took it immediately to the RSC. They fixed it but my mind was never at ease after that, so I sold the watch.

Sorry to hear about your experience - I hope you'll get it fixed asap.
Singslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2010, 09:23 PM   #8
BASSETHOUNDS
Banned

Watch: 116520/660/710/334
Real bummer this , you just got that one home . I'm confident you'll can get that fixed without having to break open the piggy bank . The previous owner , and the one before and perhaps the one before that , all said it was recently serviced . But as usual they all seem to have misplaced the receipt and can't remember exactly who the watchmaker was and if they do he has just gone into retirement to the Marquise Islands and left no contact number ...
BASSETHOUNDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2010, 09:34 PM   #9
jdc
"TRF" Member

that watch is sure giving you a lot of stress Steve Hope the fix is a quick and painless one
jdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2010, 10:14 PM   #10
Rscmaine
"TRF" Member

Watch: me pull a rabbit..
Gee, that doesn't look right at all. (but I'm no expert)
Old 5 February 2010, 10:26 PM   #11
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
Good luck and hope it's a quick fix, Steve.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2010, 10:28 PM   #12
Nicko
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdc View Post
that watch is sure giving you a lot of stress Steve Hope the fix is a quick and painless one
Well, not sure how painless this is going to be. I just dropped the Sub off at the ad and he will not touch it. So, now it's on its way to Rolex Spain. The ad said it wasn not a problem, just any Rolex/Tudor over 25 years old they can't work on.
Old 5 February 2010, 10:29 PM   #13
Jason Judd

Good Luck...Sounds like it's completely manageable.

Let us know how it works out!
Jason Judd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2010, 11:26 PM   #14
Puffy
"TRF" Member

jesus
Old 5 February 2010, 11:33 PM   #15
lolo96706
"TRF" Member

Watch: Milgauss GV - V
Total bummer, but I hope it is a quick fix and will be back on the wrist soon!
lolo96706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2010, 11:36 PM   #16
Nicko
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolo96706 View Post
Total bummer, but I hope it is a quick fix and will be back on the wrist soon!
That's why ya gotta have a backup. Thanks and I'll keep the forum updated.
Old 6 February 2010, 01:59 AM   #17
Nicko
Banned

So gents (and gals) what do you think Rolex España will do with my 1964 Tudor?
Old 6 February 2010, 02:09 AM   #18
JimC
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
I'm sure that was a sickening feeling... Good luck with the repair and let us know how it turns out.

16610 Sub (Z serial)
16710 GMT-Master II (Coke and Pepsi) (Z serial)
16570 Explorer II (White) (F serial)
116660 Deepsea (V serial)
79270 Tudor Tiger Chrono (red dial)
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2010, 02:27 AM   #19
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 SUBMARINER Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
So gents (and gals) what do you think Rolex España will do with my 1964 Tudor?
I think that they will check to see if they have the parts on hand and want to do a full service on the watch..

Stems are pretty common....... but you have broken this one.. That means that they need to dig into the watch, retreive the broken part, put it back together and reinstall a new stem..

If you don't feel the need for a service, a watchmaker with experience is the way to go.. He will only take the watch down enough to get the part out and fit a new stem...
Old 6 February 2010, 02:31 AM   #20
ParisDakarBmw
Banned

Watch: 116610 Sub-C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
I think that they will check to see if they have the parts on hand and want to do a full service on the watch..

Stems are pretty common....... but you have broken this one.. That means that they need to dig into the watch, retreive the broken part, put it back together and reinstall a new stem..

If you don't feel the need for a service, a watchmaker with experience is the way to go.. He will only take the watch down enough to get the part out and fit a new stem...
I'd find a reputable watchmaker, and have the part retrieved. He'll get a new stem, and have it running in good order. That's a small problem on the grand scale of things. You'll be fine.
ParisDakarBmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2010, 02:45 AM   #21
CaveDiver
"TRF" Member

Sorry to hear this. My dad's sub did this many many years ago, but was on the crown side. he left it that way for a few years before having it serviced. Good luck with RSC. If it was USA, I would say save you self the aggravation and go elsewhere.
CaveDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2010, 02:57 AM   #22
BASSETHOUNDS
Banned

Nicko , Rolex SC in Madrid ... complete overhaul .? Estas van cobrarte un paston ,tio .
Don't know , but complete overhaul , new stem and whatever else they may decide to change you might be looking at a grant by the time they are finished with it ... and when will it come back ? I would have an independent have a look at it first and get a "presupeusto" you may then still decide to take it to Rolex in Madrid . my 2c
Old 6 February 2010, 07:04 AM   #23
Nicko
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BASSETHOUNDS View Post
Nicko , Rolex SC in Madrid ... complete overhaul .? Estas van cobrarte un paston ,tio .
Don't know , but complete overhaul , new stem and whatever else they may decide to change you might be looking at a grant by the time they are finished with it ... and when will it come back ? I would have an independent have a look at it first and get a "presupeusto" you may then still decide to take it to Rolex in Madrid . my 2c
Tristan, I'm gonna have Rolex look at it first, I don't know anyone here that I can send the watch to, anyway, Rolex españa will give me a quote first, then I can do what I want after that, if it's too much then I'll just have it back and I'll only be out the time it was off my wrist. Anyway, this watch was sold to me as being recently serviced by an "independent" watchmaker, I really would rather have this done and know that it was done before I take it in the shower or wash my hands and then it get water in it. What do we say, an ounce of prevention...Anyhow, the stem shouldn't have snapped if it was recently serviced, true? I don't know, but a few hundred Euros is a small price to pay for some peace of mind on a watch that is rising in value more every year and will soon be worth what it's 5513 brother is today. Dunno? Comments?

BTW, Rolex did a complete service on my Sub and it was less than 400 Euros, and this was having had water enter it...
Old 6 February 2010, 07:07 AM   #24
Omega_Precision
Banned

Watch: ing basketball
wow!

I am feeling you but it will be good as new again.

Good luck!
Omega_Precision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2010, 07:09 AM   #25
Safetrends
Banned

Watch: my hand. :)
I have found authentic stems on Ebay that are sealed in a Rolex package. This is good to have just for this problem, my watch repair guy is great with Rolex watches, I like to provide him with my parts.
Safetrends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2010, 07:28 AM   #26
Nicko
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safetrends View Post
I have found authentic stems on Ebay that are sealed in a Rolex package. This is good to have just for this problem, my watch repair guy is great with Rolex watches, I like to provide him with my parts.
The stem is probably the least of my worries. I was under the impression that Rolex wouldn't touch these older watches...Was I wrong? My AD said there wasn't a problem, but he couldn't touch it because i mas more than 25 years old. Does this rule only apply to the ADs servicing the watch and not the RSC?
Old 6 February 2010, 07:36 AM   #27
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 SUBMARINER Patron

Watch: GMT's
There is no real rule. Rolex claims that they will keep parts in stock for 30 years after the reference has been discontinued.. If your '64 has a movement in it that was used over the next 10 years of so, there will be spares avialable.. They do not work on exotics though..probabably don't want a collector sueing for "reduction in value" after a service..
Old 6 February 2010, 07:40 AM   #28
Nicko
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
There is no real rule. Rolex claims that they will keep parts in stock for 30 years after the reference has been discontinued.. If your '64 has a movement in it that was used over the next 10 years of so, there will be spares avialable.. They do not work on exotics though..probabably don't want a collector sueing for "reduction in value" after a service..
Thanks Larry, that's kinda what the AD was trying to tell me, I think I was so shaken up over the entire ordeal that I really didn't hear anything he had to say, I just wanted him to fix my baby...

Wadda ya think the RSC will sock me for?? Just outta curiosity..
Old 6 February 2010, 07:48 AM   #29
BASSETHOUNDS
Banned

Quote:
Tristan, I'm gonna have Rolex look at it first, I don't know anyone here that I can send the watch to, anyway, Rolex españa will give me a quote first, then I can do what I want after that, if it's too much then I'll just have it back and I'll only be out the time it was off my wrist. Anyway, this watch was sold to me as being recently serviced by an "independent" watchmaker, I really would rather have this done and know that it was done before I take it in the shower or wash my hands and then it get water in it. What do we say, an ounce of prevention...Anyhow, the stem shouldn't have snapped if it was recently serviced, true? I don't know, but a few hundred Euros is a small price to pay for some peace of mind on a watch that is rising in value more every year and will soon be worth what it's 5513 brother is today. Dunno? Comments?

BTW, Rolex did a complete service on my Sub and it was less than 400 Euros, and this was having had water enter it...
Steve , you know that you will have to have it repaired one way or another . Ok ; your SUB clean up was only 400 , but here you look at parts and and relatively more work . A grant is what I meant in USD , so you'll still look at about 700 euro IMHO . I believe that even if the watch was serviced recently a winding stem can always snap , of course had it been serviced by RSC you'd have a year warranty on it . It's was one of those things that happen , ok it's a real bummer but what can you do . There is certainly no doubt that it is worth spending the money for repair on that watch .
I'm sure it will be OK on the end of the day .
Old 6 February 2010, 07:56 AM   #30
JBat
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16610, DJ
Hope you can get it fixed in quick order, Steve.
JBat is offline   Reply With Quote