The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 7 February 2010, 02:06 AM   #1
lawdog530
Banned

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder and Rolex

I've not been a member here very long but, I guess, long enough to see a serious mental disorder-- OCD. People worrying about lint on the lens of their watch, etc.. People even have the problem of hoarding. It is all very telling.

I would love to see the results of a study on the ratio of Rolex owners with OCD to those who do not. It would probably show that people with OCD are trying to find the perfection that is missing from their life. Funny thing though... I have been treated for OCD for years. It took all that time to quit worrying about a particle of dust on my Rolex.

No hating now. I just call them as I see them.
lawdog530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2010, 02:08 AM   #2
mikefrmnj

I agree. I'm OCD to a certain degree but really only with my watches. Is it OCD then or just passion about my hobby?
mikefrmnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2010, 02:11 AM   #3
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
Not ODC, it's CDO. You know, alphabetical order and all.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2010, 02:13 AM   #4
PeteNYC13
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
I agree, definately some eliment of OCD involved.

-Pete
SS Black Dial Daytona M116520
SS Explorer II D16570
PeteNYC13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2010, 02:17 AM   #5
GerardoG
Banned

Watch: ALL of them
Hi. My name is Gerardo and I used to be OCD on my watches. As I posted some time ago, I had a beater watch that I cared for but wore it everywhere, and then it was 'all the other ones'. All these had to be worn with short sleeves only, not touched by any other human/animal/thing -I was the only one allowed to do so-; they had to be washed and rinsed with lab grade distilled water after using and prior to storage, which had to be in a humidity and temperature controlled environment. I am not kidding; if I wore my 2T sub everything was ok; but if I was wearing any other watch; you'd better not even come within 3 ft of my left arm.

Then something happened: I became a father. The most gorgeous and beautiful girl that has ever existed came to this world; and it shook my life pretty hard. I realized that all these toys are just that, expensive toys. Yes, I care for them, I hate scratches and do pamper them; but hey, what is the point of owning a killer DD in YG with your favorite dial if you can't wear it with a black 2 button Armani suit on your daughter's baptism?

From that day on; watches are meant to be worn. Yes, they still get rinsed with clean water after I wear them, but now they go with me on trips, vacations, lunch, good and bad times.

One day, I will be gone. These toys will be in my kids hands; I think they would rather have a near mint timepiece with lots of good memories of daddy and them together; than a pristine watch and little memories as daddy had to take his watch off every time he played with them.

Take care of your toys, you spend a lot of hard earned money to purchase them; but in the end, LIFE is much more precious (and has no price!). L I V E. Today. Always as if it was your last day on earth; we do not know what will happen tomorrow.

...just my 2 cents here.
GerardoG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2010, 02:17 AM   #6
snow_rocks
Banned

Watch: the SKY tonite!
I was horribly O.C.D. until I realize I could use my Rolex for popping caps off of beer bottles (hate cans!).

Now I know I have a true TOOL watch, and I'm at peace with the universe!
snow_rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2010, 02:20 AM   #7
lawdog530
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerardoG View Post
Hi. My name is Gerardo and I used to be OCD on my watches. As I posted some time ago, I had a beater watch that I cared for but wore it everywhere, and then it was 'all the other ones'. All these had to be worn with short sleeves only, not touched by any other human/animal/thing -I was the only one allowed to do so-; they had to be washed and rinsed with lab grade distilled water after using and prior to storage, which had to be in a humidity and temperature controlled environment. I am not kidding; if I wore my 2T sub everything was ok; but if I was wearing any other watch; you'd better not even come within 3 ft of my left arm.

Then something happened: I became a father. The most gorgeous and beautiful girl that has ever existed came to this world; and it shook my life pretty hard. I realized that all these toys are just that, expensive toys. Yes, I care for them, I hate scratches and do pamper them; but hey, what is the point of owning a killer DD in YG with your favorite dial if you can't wear it with a black 2 button Armani suit on your daughter's baptism?

From that day on; watches are meant to be worn. Yes, they still get rinsed with clean water after I wear them, but now they go with me on trips, vacations, lunch, good and bad times.

One day, I will be gone. These toys will be in my kids hands; I think they would rather have a near mint timepiece with lots of good memories of daddy and them together; than a pristine watch and little memories as daddy had to take his watch off every time he played with them.

Take care of your toys, you spend a lot of hard earned money to purchase them; but in the end, LIFE is much more precious (and has no price!). L I V E. Today. Always as if it was your last day on earth; we do not know what will happen tomorrow.

...just my 2 cents here.
That was just beautiful and a wonderful sentiment !!
Old 7 February 2010, 02:31 AM   #8
sakuraba
"TRF" Member

Watch: sun dial
FWIW I'm only OCD with my Rolexes. With my other watches, I couldn't give a sh@#!
sakuraba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2010, 02:34 AM   #9
ParisDakarBmw
Banned

Watch: 116610 Sub-C
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakuraba View Post
fwiw i'm only ocd with my rolexes. With my other watches, i couldn't give a sh@#!
x10
ParisDakarBmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2010, 02:39 AM   #10
STEELINOX
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: ROLEX-less atm...
I smellsa "Poll" coming !

*Positive Waves Baby*
Lug Hole Loyalist / Chamfer Line Inspector
INFORTHE WIN
SUB-MAH-REEEN-ER ~ !
STEELINOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2010, 02:41 AM   #11
Double_J
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Amen to that. At the end of the day, Rolexes are only a watches. Take care of them as you should but don't be afraid to use them. There's very little damage that you can do to an inanimate object that can't be undone through some means or another. (sentimental or very rare pieces aside, of course)

If I wanted something to sit in a safe, I'd make it cash.
Double_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2010, 02:47 AM   #12
xxthe_remedyxx
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Definitely OCD here. My wife studied Phsychology and broke it down to me. It pretty much opened up my eyes. I work in IT so OCD is pretty much here to stay!
xxthe_remedyxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2010, 02:52 AM   #13
kgglonghorn
"TRF" Member

Yes, Rolex is only a watch, but it is an expensive watch and I think it is as much responsible people taking care of their items that they have worked hard to get as much as anything else. If I am guilty of wanting my nice timepiece to stay nice, then sue me. BTW, I swim in a watch, I cook, I hunt, I play with my kids all while wearing a watch...BUT I still take very good care of them and want them to look nice.
kgglonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2010, 03:04 AM   #14
esm
"TRF" Member

Watch: this, bro...
can't say have have an OCD on my watches. I buy to wear and understand nothing is perfect. However a small problem I have is the position of the rolex logo on the crown....
funny thing I found out last weekend is that the same thing happened to my omega PO......

I'm abit disappointed but not overly upset and had to bring it to a watchmaker for rectification.... :-)
esm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2010, 03:11 AM   #15
mikefrmnj

Quote:

...just my 2 cents here.
Very well stated.
mikefrmnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2010, 03:15 AM   #16
SUPERDOC
"TRF" Member

Ok...time for a reality dose...Just so that we don't offend anyone unfortunate enough to actually HAVE OCD.

-I apologize in advance, but one of my pet peeves is the perpetuation of medical ignorance...and the Internet is the biggest culprit..However I expected better from the Rolex Forum..

OCD - Obsessive Compulsive disorder is a DISORDER...The Hallmark of any Disorder is that it impairs the ability to function in any one of three spheres of being - social, professional, personal.
People with OCD are tortured by their obsessive compulsions...they are Egodystonic, (incongruent with what would be good for the ego) - they wish they didn't have them...and often require medication for control. Someone with OCD might be late for work frquently because they must circle the house checking each locked door seven times before leaving the house - or else their day is overwhelmed by fear that something catastophic will happen (one example)

OCD is nothing to joke about.

However what most of us have is features of an Obsessive compulsive personality disorder...again, only a disorder if it impairs function.

Often people with features of OCPD will have compulsions and obsessions that are egosyntonic...we are perfectionistic, and fastidious.

Most of the time these personality traits help us succeed in school, work, life...interestingly enough one marker of success for many people is a rolex watch...go figure.

So it' sno surprise that many successful people have features of OCPD, and that those who have used those personality traits to be successful would buy rolexes that they can further obsess about...again egosyntonic...we enjoy the obsession...

Ok, I'll step off my soap box now...it's just that OCD is nothing to make light of.
SUPERDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2010, 03:19 AM   #17
TSts
"TRF" Member

I use them, but don't abuse them, I could care less... If that's OCD then kiss my A$$.

116710LN
116300blro
TSts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2010, 03:29 AM   #18
armoredsaint
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master IIc SS
when my watch is new of course i like to take care of it, but after a few weeks not so much - it's like getting a new cellphone, then afterwards if you drop or dent it, it's just part of life. no big deal.
armoredsaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2010, 03:30 AM   #19
lawdog530
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERDOC View Post
Ok...time for a reality dose...Just so that we don't offend anyone unfortunate enough to actually HAVE OCD.

-I apologize in advance, but one of my pet peeves is the perpetuation of medical ignorance...and the Internet is the biggest culprit..However I expected better from the Rolex Forum..

OCD - Obsessive Compulsive disorder is a DISORDER...The Hallmark of any Disorder is that it impairs the ability to function in any one of three spheres of being - social, professional, personal.
People with OCD are tortured by their obsessive compulsions...they are Egodystonic, (incongruent with what would be good for the ego) - they wish they didn't have them...and often require medication for control. Someone with OCD might be late for work frquently because they must circle the house checking each locked door seven times before leaving the house - or else their day is overwhelmed by fear that something catastophic will happen (one example)

However what most of us have is features of an Obsessive compulsive personality disorder...again, only a disorder if it impairs function.

Often people with features of OCPD will have compulsions and obsessions that are egosyntonic...we are perfectionistic, and fastidious.

Most of the time these personality traits help us succeed in school, work, life...interestingly enough one marker of success for many people is a rolex watch...go figure.

So it' sno surprise that many successful people have features of OCPD, and that those who have used those personality traits to be successful would buy rolexes that they can further obsess about...again egosyntonic...we enjoy the obsession...

Ok, I'll step off my soap box now...it's just that OCD is nothing to make light of.
Did someone make light of OCD ?? If you were inferring that I was then you are mistaken. I can't even stand that T.V. show "Monk" because it makes light of a terrible affliction.

I really enjoyed your explanation of the disorder and disease. Thanks.
Old 7 February 2010, 03:31 AM   #20
lawdog530
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSts View Post
I use them, but don't abuse them, I could care less... If that's OCD then kiss my A$$.
That was totally uncalled for. No one was insulting you.
Old 7 February 2010, 03:45 AM   #21
xxthe_remedyxx
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERDOC View Post

I AM diagnosed with OCD, so not making light of the disease
xxthe_remedyxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2010, 03:47 AM   #22
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Yes....I do admit that I suffer from OCD.......

Sad but true....I am obsessive about keeping my Rolex as perfect as possible.
But its nice when ADs see my watch about 2-3 years later and say
"so you never wear it?" despite wearing it every day..

Nairn
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2010, 03:49 AM   #23
TSts
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawdog530 View Post
That was totally uncalled for. No one was insulting you.
Perhaps by my tone you will understand that I do not make a big deal about my timepieces... There are other, more important, matters in life to care about...

Put me in the Rolex owner camp that could care less about how they look but are concerned about how they perform.

Get it?

Have a nice day

116710LN
116300blro
Old 7 February 2010, 03:57 AM   #24
lawdog530
Banned

Quote:
Perhaps by my tone you will understand that I do not make a big deal about my timepieces... There are other, more important, matters in life to care about...

Put me in the Rolex owner camp that could care less about how they look but are concerned about how they perform.

Get it?

Have a nice day
Well... I guess that was somewhat better. You have a nice day, too.
Old 7 February 2010, 03:58 AM   #25
bkandj2000

Watch: None specifically
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairn1980 View Post
Yes....I do admit that I suffer from OCD.......

Sad but true....I am obsessive about keeping my Rolex as perfect as possible.
But its nice when ADs see my watch about 2-3 years later and say
"so you never wear it?" despite wearing it every day..

Nairn
Ditto, nice to see I'm not the only one...

Blaine
bkandj2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2010, 03:59 AM   #26
TSts
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawdog530 View Post
Well... I guess that was somewhat better. You have a nice day, too.
Thanks!

116710LN
116300blro
Old 7 February 2010, 04:03 AM   #27
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkandj2000 View Post
Ditto, nice to see I'm not the only one...

Blaine
Nope Blaine,

You are defo not alone.
My Daytona is 3 months old and immaculate. I clean it in the morning, and sometimes run a cleaning cloth over it as i wear it during the day.

At night it is wrapped in a clean cleaning cloth and put in a jewellery box.
Then in the morning it is re-cleaned and worn again.

now surely THAT is ocd?
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2010, 04:04 AM   #28
lawdog530
Banned

Quote:
Thanks!
You're very welcome brother in Rolex := )
Old 7 February 2010, 04:05 AM   #29
lawdog530
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairn1980 View Post
Nope Blaine,

You are defo not alone.
My Daytona is 3 months old and immaculate. I clean it in the morning, and sometimes run a cleaning cloth over it as i wear it during the day.

At night it is wrapped in a clean cleaning cloth and put in a jewellery box.
Then in the morning it is re-cleaned and worn again.

now surely THAT is ocd?
Maybe borderline but hey, I'm not a doctor. I just pretend to be one on the internet.
Old 7 February 2010, 05:11 AM   #30
Dr. Robert
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 1655
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgglonghorn View Post
Yes, Rolex is only a watch, but it is an expensive watch and I think it is as much responsible people taking care of their items that they have worked hard to get as much as anything else. If I am guilty of wanting my nice timepiece to stay nice, then sue me. BTW, I swim in a watch, I cook, I hunt, I play with my kids all while wearing a watch...BUT I still take very good care of them and want them to look nice.
PRIDE OF OWNERSHIP.....my dad's mantra & now mine!
Dr. Robert is online now   Reply With Quote