The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 17 February 2010, 08:13 AM   #1
DeVille
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD4K 4 LIFE
Tourneau - opinions?

I went into my local Tourneau today to ask about upgrading my 2002 SS Sub for a new Deep Sea. I was offered 3500 for it against the new purchase but there was no shifting on the 9200 price tag (even though we all know DS can be had at less than retail). I feel like whilst this was a reasonable offer it wasn't great... any thoughts?
DeVille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2010, 08:15 AM   #2
Mike1066
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16600
Don't go to Tourneau. Sell your Sub on the forum here (you'll likely get more than $3500 depending on the condition) and buy a mint, pre-loved DSSD here from a rock solid seller here on TRF (they're always popping up, and at prices way less than $9200). At least that's what I'd do.

Oh, and when you get the DSSD, post a pic please!
Mike1066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2010, 08:17 AM   #3
DeVille
"TRF" Member

Thanks. I've been reading the forum for a while (lurking in the shadows) but just got around to registering. I'm happy to do some searching but if anyone has any links to threads that might give me an idea on what a fair value would be for my Sub it would be appreciated!
Old 17 February 2010, 08:19 AM   #4
Art 1
Banned

Watch: Rol/Seik/Tud/Omega
That is a very fair offer from an AD.
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2010, 08:23 AM   #5
sakuraba
"TRF" Member

Watch: sun dial
Why not just do a straight up trade with some of the great sellers on TRF?

You're already in Florida, it might be worth the drive to meet up with Oscar (bodybump) and DavidSW.
sakuraba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2010, 08:27 AM   #6
jamesworthy52
"TRF" Member

That is a horrible deal. While the trade price is pretty fair, the overall transaction is because they are not moving on the price of the DSSD. You can buy a BNIB DSSD on the forum for $7,450 and sell your sub for at least $3,750, bringing your net out of pocket to: $3,700. At Tourneau, you are going to pay $5,700 + TAX ($9,200 MSRP - $3,500 Trade). I would buy from a trusted seller on here and save yourself over 2 grand. The seller might buy your Sub in the process so you don't have to go through the hassle of selling it too. Good luck and post pictures when you have your DSSD!
jamesworthy52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2010, 08:31 AM   #7
presario
"TRF" Member

Tourneau is great if you just want to browse, but I'd never buy from them. They have a policy if you trade your watch, you don't get any discounts on the list price.
Old 17 February 2010, 08:34 AM   #8
ersnyder
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer II
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesworthy52 View Post
That is a horrible deal. While the trade price is pretty fair, the overall transaction is because they are not moving on the price of the DSSD. You can buy a BNIB DSSD on the forum for $7,450 and sell your sub for at least $3,750, bringing your net out of pocket to: $3,700. At Tourneau, you are going to pay $5,700 + TAX ($9,200 MSRP - $3,500 Trade). I would buy from a trusted seller on here and save yourself over 2 grand. The seller might buy your Sub in the process so you don't have to go through the hassle of selling it too. Good luck and post pictures when you have your DSSD!
Good advice and it couldn't be said any better!
ersnyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2010, 08:36 AM   #9
DeVille
"TRF" Member

Don't get me wrong - my main reason for going to Tourneau was to check out some models (I like the SS Yachtmaster but it didn't look great on me) and the DS is fantastic. So purely out of convenience I asked about trading. Whilst $3500 isn't bad (I could live with it) they just wouldn't budge on the retail of the DS, which as pointed out in the above post, leaves a rather large cash gap - at least bigger than I wanted to pay.
Old 17 February 2010, 08:43 AM   #10
ocwatching
"TRF" Member

you have answered your own question...
fair value on trade in but the DSSD price is too high...
Old 17 February 2010, 08:45 AM   #11
jamesworthy52
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ersnyder View Post
Thanks Eric. Just trying to help.
Old 17 February 2010, 08:56 AM   #12
Mike1066
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16600
Quote:
Originally Posted by ersnyder View Post

+1 I tried in my original post, but it was said so much better by the other post
Mike1066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2010, 08:58 AM   #13
mfer
"TRF" Member

Interesting. I'd ask about a model that isn't discounted and see if they still offer you $3500!

Doing the sale on your own is 99% of the times more profitable.
member#3242
mfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2010, 09:07 AM   #14
hennabav
Banned

Watch: --Rolex--
That's a crappy deal in my mind. Here's the breakdown:

They're offering you $3500 for your SS Sub, and $9200 for the DSSD. Well that leaves you still having to pay $5700 for the watch. Considering you can get a DSSD from DavidSW for approx $7400, that means your watch is only $1700 if you had to pay the $5700.

My suggestion is sell you watch here on TRF for low $3k's and then buy a BNIB DSSD here from DavidSW or someone else for close to that price. That means you would only be paying about $4k out of pocket and save about $1700.
hennabav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2010, 09:08 AM   #15
ctc1010
"TRF" Member

Same experience here...they gave me a great trade-in offer, more than I expected, but wouldn't budge on the purchase price. I like stopping by to browse or try on, but doubt I'll ever purchase from them.
ctc1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2010, 09:12 AM   #16
DeVille
"TRF" Member

They bent over backwards to offer my buddy a discount on the Brietling he bought there (same store) - almost 25%!
However I do understand how hard it is for any AD to offer any kind of discount; no expectations on that part. It must be hard for them.
Old 17 February 2010, 09:16 AM   #17
CoopJr
"TRF" Member

Watch: Subs
Quote:
Originally Posted by hennabav View Post
That's a crappy deal in my mind. Here's the breakdown:

They're offering you $3500 for your SS Sub, and $9200 for the DSSD. Well that leaves you still having to pay $5700 for the watch. Considering you can get a DSSD from DavidSW for approx $7400, that means your watch is only $1700 if you had to pay the $5700.

My suggestion is sell you watch here on TRF for low $3k's and then buy a BNIB DSSD here from DavidSW or someone else for close to that price. That means you would only be paying about $4k out of pocket and save about $1700.
Another great explanation...I agree
CoopJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2010, 09:17 AM   #18
dotcomakazee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Exp II 42mm
Sell your sub here for around $3300 and then use that money to buy a BNIB DSSD from Bodybump, DavidSW, or TempoKing for $7450.

dotcomakazee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2010, 09:35 AM   #19
NavalFlight
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master II
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeVille View Post
Don't get me wrong - my main reason for going to Tourneau was to check out some models (I like the SS Yachtmaster but it didn't look great on me) and the DS is fantastic. So purely out of convenience I asked about trading. Whilst $3500 isn't bad (I could live with it) they just wouldn't budge on the retail of the DS, which as pointed out in the above post, leaves a rather large cash gap - at least bigger than I wanted to pay.
Never trade in jewelry (and yes, Rolex is jewelry). Your basically giving your YM away. If you want the DS brand new, negotiate off of the base price and sell your YM someplace else. You'll get the same or more for your YM and pay less for your DS.
NavalFlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2010, 09:37 AM   #20
Cato
Banned

Watch: 116610LN
That's a "fair" for you Subbie; poor deal for the Deep Sea.

I'd try to sell your Subbie online then get your Deep Sea from an online grey dealer.

If funds aren't an issue, keep your Subbie and get a Deep Sea online!
Cato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2010, 09:37 AM   #21
Howie
"TRF" Member

Guys, I have no love for the Big T, but in all fairness, it's not quite apples to apples comparing buying from an AD vs. a private seller online. I've bought some pieces directly from my local AD (not Big T) and I enjoy getting a factory fresh piece, the service, having my name on the papers, and not have to sweat out the shipping. It's a business and the AD has to cover rent, commisions, advertising, carrying costs of inventory, etc, etc.

That being said, if I was simply looking for the best value, I would definitely look to do the deal on TRF. The thing to know about Tourneau is that they do play a bit of a shell game. When you trade in, you probably won't get any discount on the watch you're buying, but you do save on the tax for the trade in value of your old watch. When they offer you XX months financing with no interest, just remember that they will also not discount the watch, so you really are paying interest in the end. I will say the salespeople there have annoyed me on more than one occasion, but there are decent ones as well.
Howie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2010, 09:48 AM   #22
DeVille
"TRF" Member

The consensus here seems to follow my own instincts of selling the watch privately and then finding a DS from a forum seller. Now seeing as i'm a noob, I just have to wait another 15 days before I can post an ad! Dammit! I was hoping to get it this week!
Old 17 February 2010, 09:59 AM   #23
nauticajoe
"TRF" Member

From personal experience, I found out the hard way that Tourneau gets you coming & going. I would never shop there again.
nauticajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2010, 10:57 AM   #24
Green Arrow
"TRF" Member

I've done fine at Tourneau. They sold me a JLC at a nice discount. They sold me a Breitling at a nice discount. And they brought in used stock from a different store, and when I didn't buy it, they were perfectly nice.

When I tried to trade my PO in on my latest Breitling, the store manager flat out told me to sell my PO online, and take his discount on the Breitling to come out better on the deal than he could do.

They get a lot of flack, but the one here in Santana Row, Silicon Valley, has been a pleasure to deal with.
Green Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2010, 11:04 AM   #25
jamesworthy52
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeVille View Post
The consensus here seems to follow my own instincts of selling the watch privately and then finding a DS from a forum seller. Now seeing as i'm a noob, I just have to wait another 15 days before I can post an ad! Dammit! I was hoping to get it this week!
See if one of the sellers here will take the Sub on trade, then you (1) won't have to wait and (2) don't have to deal with the risks of selling a watch on the internet. I think kanger's recent story of getting scamed while selling his sub would support this idea too: http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=115104
Old 17 February 2010, 11:05 AM   #26
DeVille
"TRF" Member

They do try to push the 'AD' thing hard, especially when it comes to Rolexes, but I think even they realize that there ARE reputable sellers via the web and that most people are happy to purchase that way.
Old 17 February 2010, 11:08 AM   #27
JRA
2024 Pledge Member

Bought once, never again

Speaking only from my personal experience in 2 Tourneau stores, they were scum bags. Ultimately, there are good and bad salespeople but my impression is that they try to push their pieces like they're selling commodities...which they are in the end, of course, but very expense ones, so it would help if they hired folks who truly know about watches. Although you've heard it a number of times, I would never take their deal but would sell the watch privately and then decide whether you want to buy from an AD or from a private seller. I deal with a great AD in Virginia (they're very reputable) so if you would like I can send you a PM with their details and the name of a great salesperson there (by the way, I'm not affiliated with them in any way, just a customer). Good luck!
JRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2010, 11:55 AM   #28
sea-dweller
"TRF" Member

Tourneau does not negotiate prices at all, they quote at list and sell at it.
TRF Member #6699 (since September 2007)
sea-dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2010, 12:08 PM   #29
pakoon
"TRF" Member

Tourneau in Las Vegas gave me a 27% discount on a Graham Chronofighter and could have got any Breitling for a 28% discount.
pakoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2010, 12:35 PM   #30
kizerman
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pakoon View Post
Tourneau in Las Vegas gave me a 27% discount on a Graham Chronofighter and could have got any Breitling for a 28% discount.
That's because Vegas is dying right now. My last trip there was pre-recession and the Tourneau in Cesars was brutal. I was buying a Milgauss at retail and they didn't want to deal more than 5% on a Cartier for my wife, so I bought elsewhere.
kizerman is offline   Reply With Quote