The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 5 March 2010, 04:36 PM   #1
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
I think this could be a good time to pick up one of these at the right price!!

Hi guys,

Just happened to visit my local AD this morning and was informed of the sudden spurt in sales of the white dial Exp-II, hitherto considered one of the slow moving models. It's now flying off the shelves!!

If you can get a good discount or, even better, get one from any of our reputed TRF sellers - GRAB IT!!!

Just some friendly advice (I've usually been right in the past, so hopefully this time ain't any different!!)

Cheers - JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2010, 04:41 PM   #2
Singslinger
"TRF" Member

Hi JJ, are you by any chance hinting that these could be extinct after Basel in three weeks' time?
Singslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2010, 04:42 PM   #3
crazyfingers
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner 14060M
All this after the price increase?
Old 5 March 2010, 04:42 PM   #4
mikester
2024 Pledge Member

Is it just the white ones or the black face ones as well?
mikester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2010, 04:44 PM   #5
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singslinger View Post
Hi JJ, are you by any chance hinting that these could be extinct after Basel in three weeks' time?
Well, you make a good point, but that was not my intention at all.

I don't care what Rolex do to the Exp-II (and we don't even know anything about that); but I love the watch exactly as it is.

The 39 mm size, the light 125 grams weight, the flat 12 mm height and the perfect Oyster bracelet comfort..............all add up to make this the most comfortable Rolex out there - and extremely versatile too.

It's sheer beauty in all its simplicity..........so if you like it and can get a good deal..............GRAB IT!!

JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
Old 5 March 2010, 04:46 PM   #6
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikester View Post
Is it just the white ones or the black face ones as well?
In this part of the world, the WHITE ones only.

JJ

Old 5 March 2010, 04:51 PM   #7
Singslinger
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani View Post
Well, you make a good point, but that was not my intention at all.

I don't care what Rolex do to the Exp-II (and we don't even know anything about that); but I love the watch exactly as it is.

The 39 mm size, the light 125 grams weight, the flat 12 mm height and the perfect Oyster bracelet comfort..............all add up to make this the most comfortable Rolex out there - and extremely versatile too.

It's sheer beauty in all its simplicity..........so if you like it and can get a good deal..............GRAB IT!!

JJ
Agree 100%. I've always thought the Exp II (white or black) was such an under-rated watch and among the best bargains in the Rolex lineup.
Old 5 March 2010, 04:55 PM   #8
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Agree 100%. I've always thought the Exp II (white or black) was such an under-rated watch and among the best bargains in the Rolex lineup.
Right..............and if you can pick up the latest one with the 3186 calibre (worth it, even if you have to pay those few extra bucks), then that would be ideal!!

JJ

Old 5 March 2010, 05:00 PM   #9
Singslinger
"TRF" Member

Didn't you fit a Super Jubilee bracelet on yours recently? I remember that it looked great, even better than the standard Oyster....
Old 5 March 2010, 05:02 PM   #10
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Didn't you fit a Super Jubilee bracelet on yours recently? I remember that it looked great, even better than the standard Oyster....
Yes, but the fit is not as perfect as I would want it to be. Still a small gap between the SEL of the Super Jubilee and the case (see pic below).

Of course, the Exp-II comes originally on the Oyster, so that's the best way to go. The SJ bracelet is frightfully expensive @ US$1350 and very hard to come by, so just stick with the original Oysterlock which is very comfortable and solid.

JJ

Old 5 March 2010, 05:12 PM   #11
Singslinger
"TRF" Member

OK, thanks. It's a pity though, the SJ looks very classy and comfortable...ah well.
Old 5 March 2010, 05:29 PM   #12
sakuraba
"TRF" Member

Watch: sun dial
FWIW the gap is hardly noticeable.

But I'm, sure the gap in your wallet where the $1300 used to be is still hurting
T 16600 SD
D 16610 LV

"fine quality is remembered long after the pain of spending money" -Steve Mulholland
sakuraba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2010, 08:13 PM   #13
Jackxv
"TRF" Member

Exactly

Exactly JJ, few weeks ago I wondered why some of these were on the marketplace for under $3K complete with papers.

I almost can't believe these ones are neglected, as said by you these are one of the most comfortable to wear.

I've owned many watches last year,I flipped them all and I absolutely love this one.
Since I've got it the Euro went down 13% to the Dollar, Í've bought it right on time

Old DJ , servicing problems
New DJ, PCL (aargh) and no lumi hands and dial

I shouldn't have flipped this one but was due for service and replacement bracelet.

It was just plain crazy to sell this one
Jackxv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2010, 08:58 PM   #14
chrislkb
"TRF" Member

Watch: out kiddo!
Icon7

[QUOTE=JJ Irani;1695469]Yes, but the fit is not as perfect as I would want it to be. Still a small gap between the SEL of the Super Jubilee and the case (see pic below).

Of course, the Exp-II comes originally on the Oyster, so that's the best way to go. The SJ bracelet is frightfully expensive @ US$1350 and very hard to come by, so just stick with the original Oysterlock which is very comfortable and solid.

JJ

QUOTE]

Thanks JJ, appreciate yr pixs for us to see the differences
chrislkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2010, 09:13 PM   #15
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 SUBMARINER Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
That is a good call JJ.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2010, 09:53 PM   #16
Gerardus
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕
JJ this is also mine opinion! Have a nice weekend! greets Gerardus

♕126610 ♕126333 ♕116300
Gerardus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2010, 10:08 PM   #17
DRAWTOOL
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M & 16570
My favorite as well Boss, only I prefer the Dark One!

And you call that a nightmare, ya tosser?
Quote:
You just made it into the Tosser Hall of Fame, ya bastid tosser!!
Inducted 3/25/10
DRAWTOOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2010, 10:29 PM   #18
Kapture1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Ω 3570.50.00
Good write... kind of kicking myself for not pulling the trigger when I saw one on this forum for 3,000 the other day.

Wash out this tired notion that the best is yet to come
Kapture1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2010, 12:16 AM   #19
Warnsboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513
Quote:
Hi guys,

Just happened to visit my local AD this morning and was informed of the sudden spurt in sales of the white dial Exp-II, hitherto considered one of the slow moving models. It's now flying off the shelves!!

If you can get a good discount or, even better, get one from any of our reputed TRF sellers - GRAB IT!!!

Just some friendly advice (I've usually been right in the past, so hopefully this time ain't any different!!)

Cheers - JJ

JJ:

Your wonderful pics could have something to do with the bump of sales. If one googles "Explorer II" you get linked to several TRF threads with great pics from the TRF family. IMHO, Explorer II threads are some of the best on the forum!!
Warnsboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2010, 12:28 AM   #20
dalip
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex PAM Omega
Interesting JJ - not the watch for me atm....but think it looks great on others :)

------------------------------------------------------------
"The liar's punishment is not in the least that he is not believed, but that he cannot believe anyone else." George Bernard Shaw
dalip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2010, 12:35 AM   #21
Numismatist
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116600
Does it come in brown? I need one to match my arm hair color
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 011-1.jpg (60.1 KB, 160 views)
File Type: jpg ds.jpg (62.1 KB, 159 views)
Montblanc Meisterstück Diamond Mozart BP
Montblanc Meisterstück Mozart BP
Numismatist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2010, 12:38 AM   #22
Prince Tudor
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex and Tudor
You're right JJ. I've noticed alot more WTB posts for the white EXPII in other forums as well.
I love the look but everytime I try one on, it just seems too small overall for me
Old 6 March 2010, 01:41 AM   #23
robbonds
"TRF" Member

Watch: ROO
it might be discontinued. Dont kill me for just sharing my opinion as its not meant to insult but the Exp is the worst looking and least desirable sports rolex on the market. I honestly would never wear it if it was given to me. There aren't many posts because they are probably the least owned around here.
Old 6 March 2010, 01:42 AM   #24
ersnyder
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer II
Quote:
Yes, but the fit is not as perfect as I would want it to be. Still a small gap between the SEL of the Super Jubilee and the case (see pic below).
JJ

Maybe not a "perfect" fit but it makes a sweet lookin' combo! Lovin' my Exp II since 1987!

ersnyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2010, 01:45 AM   #25
STEELINOX
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: ROLEX-less atm...
There's a white one at my Ben Bridge if anyones interstd...
A black as well...

*Positive Waves Baby*
Lug Hole Loyalist / Chamfer Line Inspector
INFORTHE WIN
SUB-MAH-REEEN-ER ~ !
STEELINOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2010, 02:16 AM   #26
ESKO

Watch: 2012 Milgauss GV
Quote:
Hi guys,

Cheers - JJ

Thanks for the advice JJ, I think I'll buy one. I have been looking for a comfortable affordable Rolex, I just got a Seiko Monster, but I knew in my heart I wasn't done yet for this month.

If what you say is true of comfort, I definately want in on this one!
Thanks again
ESKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2010, 02:21 AM   #27
Jackxv
"TRF" Member

I've been saying this last month

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackxv View Post
I've seen a well used tritium Exp2 on the sales forum for weeks now, complete with all papers.

The price has lowered again, when you include a complete RSC service it will be around 3500 including 1 year guarantee.

When I look around the Exp2 topics I see a lot off people wanting one, this one has got all the features a Vintage to be must have

- Tritium
- Fliplock
- Lug holes

I think it will be one of the last ones under 3K. Comparing to a few months back the amounts offered on the market were lot higher and the prices not lower.

I'd jump one it immediatly if hadn't had one yet.

Jack

Ps. I'm not affiliated with the seller in any possible way

And so they were snatched away

Jack
Jackxv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2010, 02:23 AM   #28
brady
"TRF" Member

Watch: yes please
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRAWTOOL View Post
My favorite as well Boss, only I prefer the Dark One!

Looks like your watch has PCLs - is that just a strange reflection or did you polish those?
brady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2010, 02:45 AM   #29
cornerstore
"TRF" Member

[QUOTE=JJ Irani;1695425]Hi guys,

Cheers - JJ

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthrea...79#post1677179

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBat
I hope they don't muck up the Expy II before I can grab one of the current ones.

I had my EXP11 for sale and pulled it as I started to see higher prices lately. I noticed a couple sellers on EBay auctions pull their EXP11 and re-list them as Buy it now at much higher prices.I'm seeing 1998 models without bands going for $2600 on EBay lately.
FWIW I had two dealers offer me a BNIB Daytona that they had in their safes so maybe they know something , in one breath they say very hard to get, reserved for special customers then offer it to me a not so special customer.
cornerstore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2010, 02:56 AM   #30
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

[QUOTE=patrick09;1696029]
Quote:
Hi guys,

Cheers - JJ

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthrea...79#post1677179

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBat
I hope they don't muck up the Expy II before I can grab one of the current ones.

I had my EXP11 for sale and pulled it as I started to see higher prices lately. I noticed a couple sellers on EBay auctions pull their EXP11 and re-list them as Buy it now at much higher prices.I'm seeing 1998 models without bands going for $2600 on EBay lately.
FWIW I had two dealers offer me a BNIB Daytona that they had in their safes so maybe they know something , in one breath they say very hard to get, reserved for special customers then offer it to me a not so special customer.

If you really want one bad, now's the time to get in touch with one of our reputed TRF sellers and grab one. We don't know what changes Basel is about to bring before this month is out!!

JJ