The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 14 March 2010, 02:51 PM   #1
DWdrummer
Banned

Im in big trouble, I fell in love with a Blue 16613 today! Flip my GMT II?

So I brought my GMT II to the watch repair shop. While the watchmaker looked it over I was looking at Subs. They had a stainless 16610 and a Bluesy 16613 model side by side. After trying them both on, and holding them, then trying them on different wrist at the same time, I love Bluesy.

The problem is this. I just got my GMT II three days ago. I do love it, its my first, but it doesnt grab me or pop the way the Blue Sub does for me. I literally had it on my wrist over an hour. The way the color changes with different light, the extra weight of the gold, the utter beauty of it all.

They are asking $5300 for it, and it looks new to me. I couldnt find a mark or scratch on it. They offered me $2k for my GMT II, big shock there right? I told them thank you but Ill be back.

My GMT meanwhile is running fine. The threads were dirty I guess. He found nothing wrong in there when he looked around. Set it, and its fine now. Im glad about that anyway.

What is a fair price to sell it for? I see them on Ebay from $3500-4000 lately.
I dont want to price it too high and look like a fool. I cant own both. It took me forever to get this GMT home it seems. If I can get a good price for my GMT and roll some tax refund money in, I can swing the Blue Sub fine. I just cant do both.

The sub spoke to me, and grabbed me.

Thanks for any input guys.
DWdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2010, 02:56 PM   #2
brianflemm
Banned

what year, condition, etc is your GMT II? I am possibly interested in purchasing it from you.
brianflemm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2010, 05:57 PM   #3
Gerry
"TRF" Member

Watch: Z Series 16613
This is the exact opposite of what I'm going through. I've got a 16613 (and think it's a beautiful watch) but for some time now, the one that really smiles at me is the Blue/Red GMT or GMT II. Good luck! I hope you find some way to resolve your dilemma.
Old 14 March 2010, 06:01 PM   #4
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Swap them Gerry.

When you change your mind - swap them back.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2010, 12:07 AM   #5
Woody
"TRF" Member

I would give yourself a little more time to get used to your GMT - personally it can take me a few months to "bond" with a new watch so I wouldn't be in too much of a hurry to flip it for another model. There are plenty of blue subs around so why not try to save some cash whilst you get to know your "fat lady".
Woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2010, 12:12 AM   #6
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Agree!!

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2010, 12:44 AM   #7
Deyn Man
"TRF" Member

give it time..
the bluesy is quite cool though...
Deyn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2010, 02:36 AM   #8
sea-dweller
"TRF" Member

You have caught the "illness", the only known cure are more Rolexes...
TRF Member #6699 (since September 2007)
sea-dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2010, 03:22 AM   #9
DWdrummer
Banned

Thanks guys for the advice. My wife said to wait too.

She feels its only been a few days, and I will regret it later perhaps.

What is a fair value for my GMT II? I dont have the box or papers. Im curious as to what is considered a fair value for it.

Im going to wait a bit unless I come across a very good deal of course.

There is someone locally near me, with a Blue Sub, with all box, papers hang tag etc. He is asking $4500 or so, but it open to offers he said. I asked if he would go $4200 cash and he said yes. That seems like an extremely good deal. The watch looks new, and he offered to go to the jeweler of my choice to authenticate the watch as well. Im extremely tempted to just buy it and keep them both, but that would be a very bad move for me financially right now.

The lowest price I found a Bluesy for was $5400 plus tax, and that is going to run around $5700+ after I pay the man his 6% in this state. So the $4200 seems like a steal to me. I found one other one, with box and papers for $6500 plus tax.

Choices choices....................
Old 15 March 2010, 03:32 AM   #10
bluemartinifan
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWdrummer View Post
So I brought my GMT II to the watch repair shop. While the watchmaker looked it over I was looking at Subs. They had a stainless 16610 and a Bluesy 16613 model side by side. After trying them both on, and holding them, then trying them on different wrist at the same time, I love Bluesy.

The problem is this. I just got my GMT II three days ago. I do love it, its my first, but it doesnt grab me or pop the way the Blue Sub does for me. I literally had it on my wrist over an hour. The way the color changes with different light, the extra weight of the gold, the utter beauty of it all.

They are asking $5300 for it, and it looks new to me. I couldnt find a mark or scratch on it. They offered me $2k for my GMT II, big shock there right? I told them thank you but Ill be back.

My GMT meanwhile is running fine. The threads were dirty I guess. He found nothing wrong in there when he looked around. Set it, and its fine now. Im glad about that anyway.

What is a fair price to sell it for? I see them on Ebay from $3500-4000 lately.
I dont want to price it too high and look like a fool. I cant own both. It took me forever to get this GMT home it seems. If I can get a good price for my GMT and roll some tax refund money in, I can swing the Blue Sub fine. I just cant do both.

The sub spoke to me, and grabbed me.

Thanks for any input guys.
Pics, condition, age, accessories please.
bluemartinifan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2010, 03:35 AM   #11
46and2

Keep the GMT at least a month, IMO.
46and2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2010, 03:35 AM   #12
DWdrummer
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemartinifan View Post
Pics, condition, age, accessories please.
Okay, I will let you be the judge. Its from 1986, and its a 96xxx serial, 16760 Ref. number. All original from what I can tell at least.

Old 15 March 2010, 03:39 AM   #13
Rscmaine
"TRF" Member

Watch: me pull a rabbit..
I've seen Fat Ladies ranging from $3200 at a low to mid to high $4K

The $4200 is a pretty standard price for a non SEL Tritium Blue. If his is SEL Gold thru clasp with box and papers it's a very good price.

Tell your wife you're buying it to resell then mark it up to $5600 and show her how it sat for week after week without selling and - gee - you guess you better hang on to it til the market improves in a few years...
Old 15 March 2010, 03:43 AM   #14
TimeToGo

Ooooh, the fat lady.

It depends on the service history. Is the bracelet original to this period. There appears to be a ding on the upper left lug.
TimeToGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2010, 03:54 AM   #15
DWdrummer
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeToGo View Post
Ooooh, the fat lady.

It depends on the service history. Is the bracelet original to this period. There appears to be a ding on the upper left lug.
Its a scratch but doesnt appear to be deep at all. I cant feel it if I run my finger over it. I assume the bracelet is correct and original. It has "455"B marked on the end links if that helps.

As far as service goes, I was told it was recently cleaned in serviced in the last year. I have no reason to doubt that. Im going by the Rolex dealer tomorrow to have the back popped to be sure though.

I had a guy offer me $3K cause I have no box and papers this morning. Does that sound about right?

Im probably going to hold onto it a bit and think things over anyway. I appreciate all the help guys.
Old 15 March 2010, 04:01 AM   #16
TimeToGo

You can probably do better, $3,500 ish.

What are the codes on the clasp?
Old 15 March 2010, 04:09 AM   #17
TimeToGo

Quote:
Its a scratch but doesnt appear to be deep at all. I cant feel it if I run my finger over it. I assume the bracelet is correct and original. It has "455"B marked on the end links if that helps.

As far as service goes, I was told it was recently cleaned in serviced in the last year. I have no reason to doubt that. Im going by the Rolex dealer tomorrow to have the back popped to be sure though.

I had a guy offer me $3K cause I have no box and papers this morning. Does that sound about right?

Im probably going to hold onto it a bit and think things over anyway. I appreciate all the help guys.

The endlinks "455B" are for a two tone band. If yours are SS, they are aftermarket
Old 15 March 2010, 04:14 AM   #18
Speed
"TRF" Member

Dude, you just got your first Rolex! Enjoy it (for a while) man...

What did you pay for it again?

Seems to me you will take a hit given its condition etc...and if you are in a hurry to move to the next thing.
Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2010, 04:20 AM   #19
ParisDakarBmw
Banned

Watch: 116610 Sub-C
I'd have the GMT polished to help the resell. Honestly I'd slap a black bezel on the coke, and save up for the next watch. Don't just give it away. Shop around before making a purchase.
ParisDakarBmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2010, 04:36 AM   #20
DWdrummer
Banned

The clasp code is 62510h. I paid 2100 for it. I love it I just love the blue sub more!

Thanks again guys for all the help.
Old 15 March 2010, 05:06 AM   #21
TimeToGo

Quote:
The clasp code is 62510h. I paid 2100 for it. I love it I just love the blue sub more!

Is there a number after the "h"...

$2,100 is an excellent price. Have you had the caseback openned to verify the movement?
Old 15 March 2010, 05:33 AM   #22
Eric5964
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Omega/Brtlg
There is only one solution....buy the Blue Sub and keep the GMT....( :

EricE
Eric5964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2010, 05:45 AM   #23
axjimenez
"TRF" Member

Watch: ALL OF THEM
I would wait a little while. I feel your pain though
“It is better to lead from behind and to put others in front, especially when you celebrate victory when nice things occur. You take the front line when there is danger. Then people will appreciate your leadership.”

Rolex 114060
Omega SMP 2531.80
Vintage Omega - no idea but dad's watch
axjimenez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2010, 06:00 AM   #24
Rscmaine
"TRF" Member

Watch: me pull a rabbit..
Quote:

YOU STOLE THAT WATCH.

Keep it for a while.

You are too new to this game to really know what you want yet - your's would benefit from getting the absolutely correct end pieces, a good service and light polish and waiting for the absolutely correct next watch.

In great shape with an RSC tune up you have a $4000 watch there. With a non RSC service it is worth around $3500.

The world is your metaphorical toaster right now. Slow down.
Old 15 March 2010, 06:59 AM   #25
DWdrummer
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rscmaine View Post
YOU STOLE THAT WATCH.

Keep it for a while.

You are too new to this game to really know what you want yet - your's would benefit from getting the absolutely correct end pieces, a good service and light polish and waiting for the absolutely correct next watch.

In great shape with an RSC tune up you have a $4000 watch there. With a non RSC service it is worth around $3500.

The world is your metaphorical toaster right now. Slow down.
I believe I will slow down. Im thinking too much and moving too fast.
I have a Rolex trained watchmaker close by. I will have him service and polish the watch and hold onto it for a while. I have found four Blue Subs in my area for sale. I have seen no other GMT II watches such as mine. That says a lot right there.

If only I had the money to get the Sub and keep both. Oh that would be grand! I do like the Submariner more, but I think I will hold off for now anyway.

I dont really know what I want. That is true. I mean I want them ALL of course. I just love that Submariner.
Old 15 March 2010, 12:11 PM   #26
JPersat
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing everybody
Just a little advise, keep the GMT Fat Lady, as the market is not flooded with them, save up some cash for a TT Blusey, and shop here on this forum in the "For Sale" section.
JPersat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2010, 12:44 PM   #27
Bluesub

Rolex are addicting, keep what you have.... save some money and get one next year, that will be your goal for 2011...
Bluesub is offline   Reply With Quote