The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 15 March 2010, 06:19 AM   #1
Penn
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master IIc
Advice on pre-owned DJ

I've convinced my Dad to purchase his first Rolex. He is looking at a pre-owned TT DJ with the white face and roman numerals. His budget is approx. $4k. I'm not familiar with the DJ. Can you help me steer him in the right direction by advising on the latest serial number watch to look for within the budget? Any other advice on DJ would be extremely helpful as well. Thanks in advance for any help.
Penn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2010, 06:24 AM   #2
Rscmaine
"TRF" Member

Watch: me pull a rabbit..
We need to know more...there are a bunch of DJ's - if it is a 30 year old TT 1601 DJ he's paying nearly 3 times what it's worth...

If it is 2 years old he's getting a fairly good deal (but still not great IMHO)

What are you discussing?
Old 15 March 2010, 06:33 AM   #3
slcbbrown
"TRF" Member

Watch: 50's TT t-bird
He's headed to a great choice and a pretty version of the DJ. I'm assuming the white face with roman numerals is a fairly recent model. If so, it should have a sapphire crystal. $4k will get you a fine, late model Datejust like you're describing.

It's worth asking about the service history. If the watch is due for a service, you can expect to spend $300-$500 depending on whether you use an autorized dealer or not.
slcbbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2010, 06:41 AM   #4
Rscmaine
"TRF" Member

Watch: me pull a rabbit..
After more consideration, your Dad may actually like the older versions - and save a few $

My acrylic crystal 1974 1601 was the best time keeper i've ever had and was WR and tough enough to survive on a Maine farm for 2 years.

Sharp looking, affordable, easily fixed, robust watch which you put on and forget. What more can you ask of a great iconic watch?

Look at the vintage watches first and take the savings on a nice trip to Bermuda!