The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 1 April 2010, 07:14 PM   #1
VaDave
"TRF" Member

Watch: DRSD:1665 Sub:5512
Icon7 Golfing while wearing a Rolex……..You Can and Should!

There’s been a number of threads recently about playing golf and wearing a Rolex. I’ve been doing just that for a few years now, making a very nice living at it, and thought it was time to tell you my story and perhaps put this thread to bed once and for all.

Golf is a game of finesse and power. The smallest changes can make a big difference, but you have to have the right technique. I discovered that wearing a Rolex, bracelet tight and low on the wrist, makes a remarkable difference in your swing. A large watch – and particularly a big crown – will keep your wrist from pronation, thus assuring your arms and club act as one smooth lever. The extra weight of the watch can add yards to your drives and helps with the follow-through on those tough approach shots. Care must be taken to keep the center-of-gravity exactly in plane with your swing or you’ll shank. You can, with practice, develop an amazing hook or draw by ever-so-slightly twisting your wrist to off-set the c.g. of the watch – but don’t try this at first for it takes practice to perfect.

Of course different watches are needed for different clubs.

My line up goes like this:

Driver: DeepSea - What else? The weight of this beast adds 20 yards.

3 Wood: YG Yacht-Master II. Helps you keep this shot to under 10 minutes.

1 Iron: SS/Pt. YM 16622. This notoriously difficult to control club is gentle as a lamb with this watch. Naturally I call mine “The JJ” for this reason.

3 Iron: Pepsi GMT. Goes the distance.

4 Iron: Coke GMT. Almost as good as the Pepsi.

5 Iron: WG Sub. Gets you over the water, sometimes you can walk on water with this watch.

6 Iron: SS Sub. Great if you end up in the water.

7 Iron: SS Daytona. Timing is everything.

8 Iron: YG Day-Date. Right place at the right time

9 Iron: YG Datejust. Just a touch lighter that the Day-Date.

Wedge: Explorer. I use this watch when I need sharp focus and some artistry. I call it “The Kyle”.

Sand Wedge: Air-King. Go with a classic when you need to get it up and out.

Putter: YG Prince. Smoooooth.

You can go up or down a watch depending on the lie, just don’t overdo it.

Now that’s a lot of watches and you are probably wondering if rummaging through the bag and changing for each shot slows down play. It sure would, so that’s why I’ve got a dedicated Watch Caddy.

Her name is Christie, a young woman (about 22, I think) from a good family. She’s currently in college majoring in Physical Therapy but wants to go on to medical school and solve world peace. Blond and blue eyed with that girl-next-door look, many men say she’s attractive; most just stare and drool uncontrollably. She needs money for school and fortunately she’s won some scholarship pageants (they don’t call them beauty pageants anymore), has done some beach modeling for a magazine she just calls “S.I.”, and caddies for me. Great young woman and a real go-getter!

My only complaint about Christie is what she wears on the course. She says she gets too hot in what the other caddies wear and insists on wearing a bikini. She makes it worse by slathering tanning oil all over her beautifully bronzed body. I’m always afraid the sun’s reflections will distract my golfing opponents but, good sportsmen that they are, to a man they say it’s no problem and that they certainly wouldn’t raise any objections.

Since bikinis don’t come with pockets, we’ve rigged up some straps, with tabs for the watches, that she wears bandolier style across her chest. This provides easy access so that after each shot she can quickly hand me the next watch I’ll need.

Now, you might be surprised at how many golfers and golf spectators are real Rolex WIS. They really like the look of the Explorer, Day-Date, and Datejust because at every tournament I can always hear the guys saying “Hey! Let’s go check out those 36s!!” as they run over to Christie.

Christie is also a great help to my opponents. When they shank off into the woods or deep rough she’ll often ask if they need help to find their balls. They happily take her up on this offer and, even though it seems to take an unusually long time, my opponent will come out of the woods with a big sloppy grin on his face saying “Unbelievable! That was fantastic!” (Must never have seen such a nice set of Rolex before) They typically go on to lose badly after this, but happily pay up to me and will even tip Christie extremely well. I guess being around Rolexes makes even the bad times good.

Now, I don’t want to brag and you may not even believe this, but my current win/loss record is 437 wins to zero losses. This includes what I thought would be my toughest match – I played the young man who many consider to be the best player in the world. I don’t want to be a name-dropper, so let’s just call him “The Cheeta”. The day we played was late summer. Hot! Man it was hot. Christie had, embarrassingly, switched to a thong it was so hot. Well, I’m here to tell you that “The Cheeta” is entirely over-rated. He couldn’t stay on the fairway to save his life, why it was almost like he was aiming for the woods! He and Christie would troop off to find his balls, but each hole was the same – off left, off right, deeper and deeper each time. Took forever and he just conceded each hole. I will say that he was a good sport while losing a large sum to me and tipped Christie extraordinarily well. He and Christie became good friends and saw each other regularly; until just recently when he suddenly said he wasn’t allowed to play with her anymore……………such a shame……….

So I hope that this answers the question once and for all – Should you play golf while wearing your Rolex?

Absolutely! It works for me and it can work for you too!

Now before the replies start of “Post Pics! Post Pics!” (presumably of the watch-holding bandolier straps so you can make some for yourself) I regret to say that the only pics I have are the ones of Christie wearing the straps………..and her modeling contracts prevent me from posting her photos.

However, if someone skilled in the Photoshopic Arts were to post their conception, I’d be happy to say how close they’ve come.

Jocke, could you be persuaded?

Happy April 1, 2010 TRF!

VaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2010, 09:18 PM   #2
Lol-x
Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaDave View Post
I guess being around Rolexes makes even the bad times good.

Happy April 1, 2010 TRF!

You know that sentence is gold......(or definitely 904L)

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

ROLEXploitation - yeah I'm a victim
Lol-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2010, 09:26 PM   #3
buz-lh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Tudor Pam
Good one. We definitely need pictures though.

buz-lh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2010, 09:29 PM   #4
Mockingbird
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lol-x View Post
you know that sentence is gold......(or definitely 904l)
x2
Mockingbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2010, 09:35 PM   #5
Gerardus
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕
Thanxs for sharing

♕126610 ♕126333 ♕116300
Gerardus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2010, 09:53 PM   #6
Strut99GT

Hahahaha
Strut99GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2010, 10:11 PM   #7
Rolesor
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234
thanks for a great read :)
Rolesor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2010, 10:16 PM   #8
cujo

Watch: Pepsi GMT...
I'm taking up Golf!

Definitely going to start that game...today.... I just need to start interviewing for Caddies.
cujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2010, 10:41 PM   #9
bayerische
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf

But pics are needed...
Old 2 April 2010, 02:11 AM   #10
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 SUBMARINER Patron

Watch: GMT's
You gotta' get up early to beat this crowd................

Old 2 April 2010, 02:33 AM   #11
AstroBoy
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT-Tona/EXII/Tudor
WOW! What's a Treat!....

Dave,

Thank you for sharing your secret!

I'm going to wear my rolex while golfing from now on! I currently can use some help with my "Timing issue" so my TT Datona will be handy! I don't have Caddy Christie, but April said she would do it for me Eventually, I'll work my way through her straps (for the Rolexes, ofcourse) !

"Life Is Not A Problem To Be Solved But A Reality To Be Experienced"

"JJ - Your smile takes all my troubles away!"
AstroBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2010, 02:38 AM   #12
kyle L
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer I
Quote:
Wedge: Explorer. I use this watch when I need sharp focus and some artistry. I call it “The Kyle”.

Good read, last time I played mini golf, my watch came out like this:

kyle L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2010, 03:30 AM   #13
VaDave
"TRF" Member

Watch: DRSD:1665 Sub:5512
Well sure Kyle..........any Daytona, and particularly a YG, is way to much watch for the Putter. Even your beloved Explorer would be too much. Next time try the Prince or an Air King.

And remember this well Grasshoppa' - when frustrated and you just must throw something (even tho' this is extreamly bad form and nearly inexcusable) - throw the club, NOT the Rolex..........
VaDave is offline   Reply With Quote