The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Miscellaneous Forums > New Members

Old 30 April 2010, 05:32 PM   #1
majicauction

not a collector, still welcome?

Hi, just joined and wanted to introduce myself. i go by majicauction, on ebay I'm known as toykid2000, have a good rep there. I was searching google for info and found your forum which I think will be helpful. I don't know much about watches but do understand collector mindset and would guess you get many people who aren't collectors here, looking to make the quick buck or even scam. I'm guessing the real collectors get a bit tired of that. That's why I wanted to take a minute to say hi. If anyone views me as one of the vultures or schemers just let me know I'm not wanted and I wont stay around. I don't want to cause problems.

Not here to B.S. anyone, I'm a person with a 9-5 but have always wheeled and dealed to make ends meet (honestly) I work flea markets, buy out abandoned storage units hoping for "the find", things like that. Some people look down on people like me but just doing what I have to to get by.

I just recently got what I think was a good deal, a lot that contained jewelry, trinkets etc. In there were a couple watches, including a rolex which I am almost certain is legit. And yes eventually I'll want to sell, they just don't do it for me. I like watches but my taste goes towards the vintage or sometimes just odd or quirky so yes I will sell but want to get info first. Hopefully this will be the right place to find info and maybe eventually a buyer. 16 days and posts doesn't bother me because its not something I want to rush into or not be informed about first.

Guess I'll head over to the other forums and look around and maybe post some questions. I thank you in advance for your help.
majicauction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2010, 12:57 AM   #2
majicauction

Wow, guess not eh? No replys here or my other posts and one that said it had to be modorated before and went up and it never went up. That was the one with all my questions too :(

I have pics now so may try one more post to get some help. Maybe someone will take pity on me. if not I guess I'll just find out as much as I can and then toss it on ebay.
Old 2 May 2010, 02:47 AM   #3
spuds
"TRF" Member

Watch: West Ham! COYI!!
I think many members are (quite rightly) cautious but I certainly appreciate your introduction, although I will admit that I'm a bit of a sceptic & I'll be brutally honest with you & it does all sound a bit like an 'ebay listing/scam waiting to happen'.

Sorry if that sounds harsh & I genuinely mean no offence.....
I'm NOT saying you're not welcome (& it's certainly not my place to do so anyway!!) but I'm just trynna explain why I for one..... albeit perhaps wrongly.....??
......wasn't beating down your door to welcome you with open arms.

Having said all that it's an open forum & I respect that (at face value at least?) you've made the effort to introduce yourself (& explain your impending sales??) so.....

"Hello.... & Welcome!"

Life is not about how fast you can run or how high you can climb...........
It's about how well you can bounce!!

TRF HALL OF FAME JANUARY 2010
spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2010, 03:54 AM   #4
Kokyuryoku
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sundial
Kia ora and welcome to the forum

I hope you enjoy the stay

Omega 3570.50 (77mil) Rolex 16610 (V) Rolex 1601 (1966) Seiko BM
Kokyuryoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2010, 06:03 AM   #5
majicauction

Thanks, and I do understand the caution. I've done the flea market and collector shows long enough to be cautious myself. I've seen the scammers and some of them are damn good! Anyone who wants is welcome to check out my ebay feedback which is 100% positive. I dont usually deal in things like this, mostly toys & collectibles, started getting into the estate sales & auctions through a friend and realized theres money to be made so trying to learn more about the jewelry and stuff.

I have done a lot of reading and am now not as sure what I have is real. Really dont know at this point and may just take it to an AD to find out. A few people at the antiques place think it is but they aren't watch guys. Other reasons I think it may be is the estate it came from, I did get some other nice pieces out of the lot so its not like they couldn't afford a real one if they wanted it. Reason I thought it might possibly be stolen is the space between the lugs where the model should be (I think) looks like something was scratched or obliterated on purpose. Either way it's not in great shape so even real it's not going to be a high dollar item i don't think.

Really wasn't looking for any offers on it yet or anything, just help identifying it for now. I think i'll just post a 'real or fake' post and get opinions then maybe next week I can get to an AD. Might post a few of the other watches and jewelry that were in the lot in other forums so people can see I'm not just another guy with 100 rolexes :) Got one, and a bunch of other stuff.

Thanks to you two for stepping up with a welcome, it was feeling real chilly!
Old 2 May 2010, 06:09 AM   #6
majicauction

If it makes you feel any better i do have a beautiful official photograph of Dale Earnhardt that was autographed only about a month before he died. We had a local nascar photographer who did do some official work for the teams. He claimed that when he did the Dale shoot part of the contract was Dale would autograph 50 pics for him. DEI did finally catch up with him and prosecute him and he did a small bit of jailtime but no one got any money back.

So yeah I've been scammed and it sucks. I keep the pic framed on the shelf to remind myself 'if it sounds to good to be true ....' it keeps me cautious. and makes me understand your caution.
Old 2 May 2010, 10:36 AM   #7
majicauction

Hey Spuds, i posted and found out its a fake and a bad one at that. most who posted were very nice and helpful. A couple curt replies and I suspect they are people thinking like you said I want to sell it as real.

Just wanted to come back here and let you know that you wont be seeing it on ebay or anywhere else for sale. Since I could possibly get in trouble if I sold it even labeled as a fake I'm just going to have fun with it. Now that I dont care if I damage it I'm going to try and pop the back and see the insides :)

Someday I'll find that treasure in the trash and maybe it'll be a Rolex! I'll be back if that happens. actually may hang out a bit and see what I can learn so I'll be better at telling real from fake. That wouldn't be minded would it?
Old 2 May 2010, 10:42 AM   #8
jrs99

Definately hang around, I've learned a great deal in the short time I've been reading these forums. These guys are extremely knowledgeable and it seems your line of work could trully benefit from the wealth of said knowledge.
jrs99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2010, 12:58 AM   #9
Kokyuryoku
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sundial
Quote:
Originally Posted by majicauction View Post
Someday I'll find that treasure in the trash and maybe it'll be a Rolex! I'll be back if that happens. actually may hang out a bit and see what I can learn so I'll be better at telling real from fake. That wouldn't be minded would it?
I love checking out small markets, you never know what you may find.

Glad you stuck around.

Omega 3570.50 (77mil) Rolex 16610 (V) Rolex 1601 (1966) Seiko BM
Kokyuryoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2010, 01:54 AM   #10
spuds
"TRF" Member

Watch: West Ham! COYI!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by majicauction View Post
Hey Spuds, i posted and found out its a fake and a bad one at that. most who posted were very nice and helpful. A couple curt replies and I suspect they are people thinking like you said I want to sell it as real.

Just wanted to come back here and let you know that you wont be seeing it on ebay or anywhere else for sale. Since I could possibly get in trouble if I sold it even labeled as a fake I'm just going to have fun with it. Now that I dont care if I damage it I'm going to try and pop the back and see the insides :)

My friend I don't really venture into the 'Watch Out' section (so didn't see your watch there) but I for one now truly admire your honesty!!

Best of luck with that 'treasure hunt' & do hang around here on the forum...
as you've seen there's some great guys & a wealth of experience & knowledge here!

Look forward to seeing you on the board mate.....

Life is not about how fast you can run or how high you can climb...........
It's about how well you can bounce!!

TRF HALL OF FAME JANUARY 2010
spuds is offline   Reply With Quote