The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 9 February 2007, 12:27 PM   #1
Thurnau
"TRF" Member

Watch: DateJust
Icon5 So I went to my AD today

So I went to my AD today to look at the rollies. 2 people were shopping for a YG DD for their father. (I couldn't look at the watch because they took up that whle section between the catalogs, people, etc.) I overheard the sales lady lie to them 2 times, or give terrible advice. I was so disgusted I wanted to say something to them but I walked out instead.

1: She told them don't worry too much if he won't like the dial. He can always buy a new dial and swap it out if he changes his mind.
I am not sure here, but I think they'd have to go aftermarket to do that

2: She offered to have it engraved by their "master engraver". She told them that under the sticker the watch is totally flat and a bonus is that it can be engraved but warned them that there is no returns on it afterwards.
Doesn't Rolex steal the engraved caseback and charge you for a new one on any service?
Thurnau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2007, 12:36 PM   #2
indy78
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116233 Serti
Engraved

My datejust was engraved for me. It has congratulations, my name, and driver's license number. I had it serviced a few years back and there was no problem?
indy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2007, 12:43 PM   #3
ohlins
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
there are several dial options available for DD............can be seen from the dealer's master catalogue

the hype is true. a crown for every achievement.
visit my audio and watch blog & how to use the rolex comfort link?
ohlins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2007, 02:33 PM   #4
OysterDavid
Banned

Ehhhh.....not quite untruth...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurnau View Post
So I went to my AD today to look at the rollies. 2 people were shopping for a YG DD for their father. (I couldn't look at the watch because they took up that whle section between the catalogs, people, etc.) I overheard the sales lady lie to them 2 times, or give terrible advice. I was so disgusted I wanted to say something to them but I walked out instead.

1: She told them don't worry too much if he won't like the dial. He can always buy a new dial and swap it out if he changes his mind.
I am not sure here, but I think they'd have to go aftermarket to do that

2: She offered to have it engraved by their "master engraver". She told them that under the sticker the watch is totally flat and a bonus is that it can be engraved but warned them that there is no returns on it afterwards.
Doesn't Rolex steal the engraved caseback and charge you for a new one on any service?
On the issue of dials...Rolex USA either directly or through an AD will generally be happy to swap out a dial on any of their watches, with two conditions...first, you've got to be willing to pay for a new dial and give up the old one, and secondly, Rolex won't offer a dial that wouldn't have been available on the original watch...meaning you couldn't get Rolex to install the Ice Blue DD dial on something other than the Plat DD...they won't do it on a YG DD.

On the issue of engraving...well, we here in WIS Rolex Genetic Purity Land most likely wouldn't do it, but for those who want the personalization, it can be done (of course, you'd have to remove the famous hologram sticker), and Rolex would not insist on swapping out the dial in a routine service if you wanted to keep the engraved backpiece. When an engraved watch changes hands, or that endearing message engraved is from a former spouse to whom you now pay alimony, Rolex, once again for a price, and providing it's a model they still stock parts for, will gladly swap out a backpiece without predjudice.

So, if you want to critique the sales person for telling the potential buyers that a Rolex Day Date will do the cooking, cleaning and slice throusands of french frys right before your very eyes, then feel free...but based on your story, the AD didn't cross any lines of truthfullness.
OysterDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2007, 02:54 PM   #5
Thurnau
"TRF" Member

Ok, I am glad to hear that than. I was under the impression of something different. I asked 2 AD's for a new bracelet Jub instead of oyster and neither said Rolex does that. I can't order it. I haven't learned anything otherwise to the contrary here.

As for the engraving, I wish I can recall the poster here that said they took the back of the case off and replaced it and charged him for it too.
Old 9 February 2007, 03:03 PM   #6
OysterDavid
Banned

Bracelets are different

Quote:
Ok, I am glad to hear that than. I was under the impression of something different. I asked 2 AD's for a new bracelet Jub instead of oyster and neither said Rolex does that. I can't order it. I haven't learned anything otherwise to the contrary here.

As for the engraving, I wish I can recall the poster here that said they took the back of the case off and replaced it and charged him for it too.
Rolex USA looks at bracelets differently. I can't figure out if you're thinking of ordering a new watch and want it with a Jubilee or if you're trying to retrofit an older model with a Jubilee bracelet.

Rolex won't let you just purchase a different bracelet without trading in the old one, and once again, they won't allow a swap for a watch that wouldn't have potentially come with the bracelet style you're after. So, if you like the new style bracelet with hidden clasp, and think it would look cool on your 1990 DJ, it isn't going to happen unless you can score one off the internet. But if you just bought a TOG with Oyster and decided that Jubilee is the way to go, I think Rolex would allow you to swap one for the other along with some cash.

I've never heard of Rolex confiscating a genuine watch back because of engraving, although they might consider it if the message was 'Go Omega' or 'Rolex Sucks'.
Old 9 February 2007, 03:08 PM   #7
Thurnau
"TRF" Member

I actually want a jubilee bracelet to swap out back and forth with my 2006(i think) DJ.

I want to own both bracelets. Hey, I paid several thousand 6-7k dollars for it, why can't I own a secondary bracelet if I want to buy it? I am looking for a SS jubilee with the concealed clasp and it is a newer DJ. I would like to know what one would cost, but I never got that far into a conversation with an AD.

Old 9 February 2007, 03:16 PM   #8
OysterDavid
Banned

Rolex isn't going to help

Quote:
I actually want a jubilee bracelet to swap out back and forth with my 2006(i think) DJ.

I want to own both bracelets. Hey, I paid several thousand 6-7k dollars for it, why can't I own a secondary bracelet if I want to buy it? I am looking for a SS jubilee with the concealed clasp and it is a newer DJ.
Rolex USA is NEVER going to sell you an extra bracelet. If your DJ ('06) model came with the hidden clasp new style Oyster, then you'd probably be able to swap it for the hidden clasp new style Jubilee, but that's about it. If your '06 DJ was not fitted with the new style bracelet, you're out of luck.

Those of us who've acquired extra bracelets either did it years ago when Rolex wasn't as draconian, or we've gotten really lucky and found what we were looking for somewhere in cyberspace...auction or sales forum.

If you're planning a trip to Asia, then you might stand a chance because from all indications I've seen, the Rolex parts situations are considerably looser in Asia, as vendors in Hong Kong and Singapore seem to be able to find things associated with Rolex than others can only dream about.

It's been fun chatting with you.
Old 9 February 2007, 06:06 PM   #9
Mr. K
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I want to own both bracelets. Hey, I paid several thousand 6-7k dollars for it, why can't I own a secondary bracelet if I want to buy it? I am looking for a SS jubilee with the concealed clasp and it is a newer DJ. I would like to know what one would cost, but I never got that far into a conversation with an AD.

Yup dials are one thing. Everything else is well everything else.

But IMHO, your watch is set up very nicely. With the jubillee diamond dial, the jubille bracelet would make the watch seem a bit busy. The way it is now with the oyster bracelet is very nice.
Mr. K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2007, 06:26 PM   #10
slim
"TRF" Member

Watch: RG DD,SD43,Pam104
Quote:

Mine currently has a the new jubilee bracelet. Your oyster is looking real nice! Having two bracelets is a great idea. I was talking to my AD a few weeks ago about purchasing a bracelet for my dads older DJ. They said that i could purchase an extra bracelet if i liked. No trade in or anything like that. Maybe certain AD's have the ability, they got two LV subs in a matter of weeks, so maybe they have a good account.
slim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2007, 11:55 PM   #11
nko51
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT Blue Sub
I prefer to buy what I want, and then stick with the original design.
nko51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2007, 11:59 PM   #12
montecristo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234 DateJust
You can do dial changes, some RSC even give you the old dial back.
montecristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2007, 09:19 PM   #13
jac67
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me
Quote:

Hello Thurnau

When your watch is due for a service, just take off the bracelet before submitting it to RSC and request the new bracelet you want.

You can tell Rolex that the old one broke and you thew it out as you thought a SS bracelet was only wirth a few dollars.

I did this on my Sub, and now have both, simple!!

BUT remember a new SS bracelet will set you back around A$900. Not cheap, but IMO worth having both.

John.
jac67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2007, 11:56 PM   #14
A. Jacobs
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub Date 16610
Your DJ looks great with the Oyster

"Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity."
A. Jacobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2007, 03:20 AM   #15
tonelar
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seadweller
There are ways around almost everything... would an exception to changing out available faces be in the sports line? I might have to go to a non-Rolex service guy to go from black face Explorer II to a white faced one.

Wear 'em with PRIDE, y'all.
tonelar is offline   Reply With Quote