The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 9 February 2007, 02:29 PM   #1
jowie4
"TRF" Member

every 5 years for servicing??

is it that important to service a rolex every 5 years?? still a newbie! sorry if it's a dumb question.
jowie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2007, 02:38 PM   #2
A. Jacobs
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub Date 16610
That is what is suggested, but I 've heard from some of the other members here that they go longer than that. Personally, I would rather have my Rolex serviced every 4-5 years just to be safe.

"Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity."
A. Jacobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2007, 02:40 PM   #3
OysterDavid
Banned

Choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by jowie4 View Post
is it that important to service a rolex every 5 years?? still a newbie! sorry if it's a dumb question.

Us Rolex owners and keepers tend to fall into three camps on this issue. There are those who mark their calendars four to five years in advance and make a note to send off the watch for routine servicing on that schedule.

Then there are those of us who say 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it', and take the position that these tickers were meant to run, run, run and until it stops keeping time, then why send it in for a routine exam.

Somewhere in the middle are those who choose not to adhere to the rigid five year schedule recommended by Rolex and most of the Rolex watchmakers, and stretch it out to seven or 10 years.

You'll have to find your own comfort zone on this issue. For many, it's dictated by the pocketbook, because at Rolex, the current price for a routine service is upwards of US $450 and an independent who is Rolex trained will charge somewhere in the $350 range, not counting needed parts.

If it's important, you can rationalize the expense by saying you get a new looking watch back from an RSC or a very good independent, so you've invested far less than the retail price new for a new looking and renewed timepiece.

Good luck on your decision.
OysterDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2007, 05:46 PM   #4
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jowie4 View Post
If you're NOT a flipper like me and can hold on to a Rolex long enough to reach FIVE years, then a service is recommended.

I'm on Rolex #18 over a quarter of a century of wheeling and dealing. Yet to have one ever serviced!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2007, 05:56 PM   #5
Mr. K
"TRF" Member

Did my research and asked my question on this topic before.

Every 5 years, probably not. Can a watch go 20 years without a service, maybe.

The question for me was if it is not serviced after 5 years will it grind down parts that make if a more expensive repair. I was told not really. A little more maybe but no enough to keep to the 5 years plan.

I guess I fall into the camp of when it breaks fix it. (or when the guilt gets too much and I have the extra cash to do it.)
Mr. K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2007, 05:59 PM   #6
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. K View Post
Did my research and asked my question on this topic before.

Every 5 years, probably not. Can a watch go 20 years without a service, maybe.

The question for me was if it is not serviced after 5 years will it grind down parts that make if a more expensive repair. I was told not really. A little more maybe but no enough to keep to the 5 years plan.

I guess I fall into the camp of when it breaks fix it. (or when the guilt gets too much and I have the extra cash to do it.)
I guess if we apply this same analogy to our cars, we'd come up with completely different answers.

Would any of us drive our cars into the ground without any oil change, filter change, sparkplug change, etc.?

Well, there you go....I wouldn't go OVER seven years with a Rolex waiting for a service.

JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2007, 06:16 PM   #7
Mr. K
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani View Post
I guess if we apply this same analogy to our cars, we'd come up with completely different answers.

Would any of us drive our cars into the ground without any oil change, filter change, sparkplug change, etc.?

Well, there you go....I wouldn't go OVER seven years with a Rolex waiting for a service.

JJ
JJ, you have a point. and the car analogy is a common one.

But if the oil goes out or does not do the job in your car. Very nasty things can and will happend.

If the oil goes dry in your watch, it will stop running. That is it.

If a rolex that went dry and were to catch on fire, or start causing major damage I would agree.

But I was told the parts that could at the very worse be destroyed in the watch for lack of lubrication are not that much to replace.

Now the parts in the car that could be detroyed, well... there is serious $.

Do you get your HD T.V., sourround sound system, frig, serviced every 5 years? If not why? They can also be high $ items.

Plus the car is a safety issue. Best case, you are just stranded if it beaks down. Worst case, you die or kill someone.

If your watch stops, worst case... you are late.
Mr. K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2007, 07:05 PM   #8
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Well with the modern synthetic oils used today,and if the watch is not used for any water sports activities.Perhaps a service if everything is running OK at 7 years,but have a few thats gone longer.Rolex now recommend every 5 years at one time it was two years.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2007, 07:35 PM   #9
henry2703
"TRF" Member

Well Said.. Mr K....

i don't think i will service the watch until it stop moving or slow down terribly.

i can send the watch to a polising service if i need it looking brand new....
Old 9 February 2007, 08:45 PM   #10
astcell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116713
When one watch breaks, send it to the shop and wear your other Rolex.

GREAT reason to have more than one!
astcell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2007, 10:13 PM   #11
Alcan
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: your P's & Q's
I'm not sure how to post a link to a previous post, so here's a copy & paste of one of my previous posts. The math works for me:

"Rolex recommends services at about 5 year intervals. In Canada that's about $700.00 all in for a TT Sub overhaul. I had mine done last year, the watch was 15 years old and had never been serviced. Ended up costing about $1,000 including a couple of innards, a new crystal, and crown and tube.

So, a service every 5 years cost about $700 X 3 + $2,100 in 15 years.
My service cost $1,000 after 15 years.

I figure I saved about $1,100.00 and currently have an essentially brand new Rolex."
Member #1,315

I don't want to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol IS a solution!
Alcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2007, 11:23 PM   #12
ginzo

Watch: GMT/1675 Exp/1016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcan View Post
I'm not sure how to post a link to a previous post, so here's a copy & paste of one of my previous posts. The math works for me:

"Rolex recommends services at about 5 year intervals. In Canada that's about $700.00 all in for a TT Sub overhaul. I had mine done last year, the watch was 15 years old and had never been serviced. Ended up costing about $1,000 including a couple of innards, a new crystal, and crown and tube.

So, a service every 5 years cost about $700 X 3 + $2,100 in 15 years.
My service cost $1,000 after 15 years.

I figure I saved about $1,100.00 and currently have an essentially brand new Rolex."
I agree. Every 4-5 years is just to often. Stretching out the service interval based on use and other issues will vary but for me 10 to 15 years seems more practical and could save alot of money with no noticeable loss of performance.
ginzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2007, 11:52 PM   #13
nko51
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT Blue Sub
Yes, it is highly recommended!
nko51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2007, 11:54 PM   #14
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
I generally have fallen into the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" camp. I just had my '83 DJ serviced since I didn't know when, if ever, it had last been serviced. Turns out it had been serviced in about '95, so it went 10+ years between servicing. I had it done by a Rolex certified tech, who said it was dry inside when he opened it. So it's probably a good thing I had it checked.

I can tell you that when it came back, it looked beautiful. So I'm glad I had it done. Now I've got two more, and '86 DD and a '91 DJ that I will probably take in to have worked on. I don't know if the DD has ever been serviced, but I'll bet the DJ has not. So it's time for a check up on both.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2007, 12:03 AM   #15
montecristo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234 DateJust
If you do regular pressure test and your watch is running fine, you can do maybe 10-20 years before first service.

I have seen seiko with no service what so ever runs for more than 10-20 years (still running so not sure how much long they have on them), I'd like to think a rolex can do that also.
montecristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2007, 02:48 AM   #16
mikey
"TRF" Member

Watch: Oysterdate 6694
I am "if ain't broke don't try to fix it camp." $2,100 for 15 years?? I could buy another DJ for that money or 2-3 Rolex Oysterdates manual winds.....I am only getting an overhaul because the ebay seller told me the movement was trashed. I was able to purchase for pennies on the dollar. I am in air conditioned environment most of the year so I am not out there in 100 degree temps doing research with my Rolex. I agree on pressure testing. Besides, it is not like $350-500 for an overhaul service that you get your watch back in a few days. It could take 1-2 months before you get your watch back. Rolex are good for 20+ years. People do what makes them feel comfy though. As far as scratches and polishing then a good ole Cape Cod and Brasso for the crystal and its good as new.
mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2007, 03:29 AM   #17
Solo118
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Better safe then sorry, In 2012 Rolex will see my watch in their service center
Solo118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2007, 04:05 AM   #18
sinbad
"TRF" Member

I often think how soon I will need to send my Breitling & Rolex in for service. I am scared to send my watch in and have it return with more issues. I will probably wait 5-7 years mark and see how accurately time is being kept. If the watch exhibits being faster/slower than normal, I will send it in. Otherwise, I may decide to hold off on servicing longer. My dad gave me his Omega Seamaster Deville (purchased new around 1967 and worn by my grand father). He only serviced once a couple of years ago. Basically the watch had stopped many years ago and he left it in a drawer. When being serviced the watch only needed lubrication and exterior buffing - no parts needed. I will buying a new strap for it this weekend and start wearing it in rotation with my LV.
sinbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2007, 04:11 AM   #19
nikhsub1
Server Advisor

Watch: 16610LV
I'm wondering if those of you that are in the "If it ain't broke don't fix it" camp are the same with your cars engine oil? Just curious.
nikhsub1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2007, 04:15 AM   #20
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhsub1 View Post
I'm wondering if those of you that are in the "If it ain't broke don't fix it" camp are the same with your cars engine oil? Just curious.
No. But I do find a difference between a $4,000 watch and a $70,000 car. Plus, the general recommendation for changing oil is every 3-4,000 miles. That would be equivalent to about every 6 mo. on a Rolex. Do you change the oil on your watch every 6 mo.?

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2007, 04:36 AM   #21
ohlins
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
just do what u like.....:P

the hype is true. a crown for every achievement.
visit my audio and watch blog & how to use the rolex comfort link?
ohlins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2007, 04:58 AM   #22
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
And the total amount to oil a watch correctly is just a few pin head drops in reality.Modern synthetic oils today used in watches including Rolex don't dry out like the old mineral based oils.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2007, 06:23 AM   #23
Alcan
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
No. As a professional auto repair technician I understand the concept of preventive maintenance. However, There is really no comparison between the two. A watch has few friction points, and the worst case scenario if they're ignored is that a few relatively inexpensive bearings and components will require replacement. The entire mechanism isn't degraded.

The same can't be said for an auto engine. First, there are many more friction points; main & rod bearings, crankshaft journals, cam lobes, journals, and followers, valve stems and guides, piston skirts and rings, cylinder walls, etc, etc. Second, engine parts tend to be more expensive than those for watches. Third, labour rates for engine repairs are usually considerably more than for watches.
Member #1,315

I don't want to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol IS a solution!
Old 10 February 2007, 07:37 AM   #24
montecristo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234 DateJust
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockrolex View Post
No. But I do find a difference between a $4,000 watch and a $70,000 car. Plus, the general recommendation for changing oil is every 3-4,000 miles. That would be equivalent to about every 6 mo. on a Rolex. Do you change the oil on your watch every 6 mo.?
What if the car is only worth 4k?
montecristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2007, 08:16 AM   #25
jowie4
"TRF" Member

Ok got it! Thanks tons! Just really excited to get my SS sub date my dad got me for graduation!!! its a K serial thats why I asked about the servicing
jowie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2007, 09:28 AM   #26
tonelar
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seadweller
Congrats on the new watch! Wear it and enjoy it... As it's a K I'd bring it in for just an inspection...

I go longer than 5 years because I let certain models rest for a month or so in a neutral environment so these get traded into the rolling stock of watches after their time off...

The exceptions are my diving watches which get a pressure check and inspection every year. I service these based on the results of the inspection.

Some of my watches are serviced in less than 5 years... more like between 3 and 5 for these trouble makers...

Wear 'em with PRIDE, y'all.
tonelar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2007, 09:47 AM   #27
mike
"TRF" Member

Put me in the over 5 year camp. Especially on ones that don't see regular wear.
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2007, 11:35 AM   #28
christo
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT Daytona
I think a bigger concern than lubrication is the gaskets. My friend has a 10 year old gold Day Date and he never had it serviced. It ran great, keeping good time. He swam with it in his pool for years then one day it flooded when he went swimming. The gaskets were fubar. But really even then, if you can go 10 years and it costs you $1000 to repair a soaked watch, that's the same as $500 every 5 years and you might even go 15-20. It seems like the maintenance cost/repair cost ratio on a Rolex says you should NOT spend $500 every 5 years. I think the biggest benefit to maintenance is external appearance.
christo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2007, 12:51 PM   #29
Alcan
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by christo View Post
But really even then, if you can go 10 years and it costs you $1000 to repair a soaked watch, that's the same as $500 every 5 years and you might even go 15-20. It seems like the maintenance cost/repair cost ratio on a Rolex says you should NOT spend $500 every 5 years. I think the biggest benefit to maintenance is external appearance.
Exactly, but there are forum members here who would argue that. I think it boils down to how much is your "warm, fuzzy factor" worth.
Member #1,315

Old 10 February 2007, 07:46 PM   #30
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
I'm with Ed here. If it ain't broke, don't fix it My Ad has a 16 year old 16613 that hasn't been serviced yet and still keeps great time.
mailman is offline   Reply With Quote