The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 26 February 2007, 02:38 AM   #1
tchase1000

selling process

i am looking to sell my 116233 with mop dial and gold romans. If i was looking to sell at the local AD how much would i expect to get with the new price increase and how much does the AD get for selling it. It is 1 year old. Are there any other avenues.

Thanks
tchase1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2007, 03:14 AM   #2
Arturo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Black GMT ll
You can't worry about what the AD will get. He will make money because he will offer you less than you can get if you sell it privately, and his profit is ultimately not your business.

He will offer you a trade up if you want...so much if you trade for a ss, and so much if you trade for a gold and silver. If you trade across for a new baby, you will not be able to negoriate a discount on the new watch. If you go and sell the watch elsewhere, you can then go back to him with cash and maybe negotiate a discount on a new watch. That is how I have seen this game to work.
Arturo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2007, 03:51 AM   #3
nko51
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT Blue Sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by tchase1000 View Post
i am looking to sell my 116233 with mop dial and gold romans. If i was looking to sell at the local AD how much would i expect to get with the new price increase and how much does the AD get for selling it. It is 1 year old. Are there any other avenues.

Thanks
An AD sells new Rolex's at 40-42% markup. Let's say yours retailed for $6000, that means he got it for approx. $4400. Now yours is already 1 year old, even if it is in mint condition it would be worth about $3500 -$4250. Depending on his consignment markup, you may windup with about $2250-$2895.
Old 26 February 2007, 04:03 AM   #4
tchase1000

my watch retailed for 8500. It has new braclet as well. I bought it for 7300. If i walk into the dealership will they give me cash for it or will they wait until they sell it. Just trying to find out some info.

thanks
Old 26 February 2007, 04:34 AM   #5
Arturo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Black GMT ll
Dealerships take a pretty huge commission if they sell it on consignment. Like 40%. IF you sell it to him, you will take a bath. IF you sell it online through the list you may do better, although I ended up doing a private sale on mine. Do you want a new watch or just want the most cash you can get?
Arturo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2007, 04:44 AM   #6
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
my watch retailed for 8500. It has new braclet as well. I bought it for 7300. If i walk into the dealership will they give me cash for it or will they wait until they sell it. Just trying to find out some info.

thanks
I think you would be much better off financially if you sell it privately, my friend.

With an AD you have two options:

1. You could trade it in for another watch (in which case you will take a hit on the watch).

2. You can leave the watch with him and give him a ballpark figure of what you expect. He will then sell it for you on behalf and naturally make a small profit for himself.

I think you should try and sell privately and then do what you wish with the cash.

Good luck - JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2007, 08:13 AM   #7
tchase1000

i think that i will try to sell it on trf. I will probably put it up tomarrow to see if there are any takers.

thanks
Old 26 February 2007, 10:25 AM   #8
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
i think that i will try to sell it on trf. I will probably put it up tomarrow to see if there are any takers.

thanks
Good idea....some nice fellas here!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2007, 12:57 PM   #9
Blue Bull
Banned

When I bought the Blue TT Sub,I got a great discount on the Blue and a very good trade in on the GMT II.Thats why I went for the deal.I also asked the price first on the Blue and then later on,after he gave me a great deal on the Blue,we discussed the trade in value.If I walked in and said that I would like to trade in the GMT II on a Blue TT Sub,the deal would most likely have been less atractive.We also have a small market,so selling it privately,would be more difficult,even dangerous.

For someone in the States,selling it privately,is ideal.TRF should be your best medium for selling.Good luck !
Blue Bull is offline   Reply With Quote