The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 26 February 2007, 05:47 AM   #1
red wrx
"TRF" Member

New bracelet clasp???

I have a TT sub, bought it in 2005. I want to buy a YM TT or the new 50th Aniversary GMT TT. I was looking at alanfurman for the photos and noticed that the GMT mention a different bracelet clasp??? Is this in all new modela including the YM or is this only for the GMT 50th aniversary???

Any photos of the new bracelet.

BTW now I am confused between the two, since I have a Sub. I thing the YM would be different but the GMT is gourgeous!!!!!

Thanks
red wrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2007, 05:53 AM   #2
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by red wrx View Post
I have a TT sub, bought it in 2005. I want to buy a YM TT or the new 50th Aniversary GMT TT. I was looking at alanfurman for the photos and noticed that the GMT mention a different bracelet clasp??? Is this in all new modela including the YM or is this only for the GMT 50th aniversary???

Any photos of the new bracelet.

BTW now I am confused between the two, since I have a Sub. I thing the YM would be different but the GMT is gourgeous!!!!!

Thanks
The new clasp can be found only on the new Anniversary GMT-II - not on the YM which still has the normal Oysterlock bracelet, same as the current GMT-II and Exp-II.

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2007, 06:11 AM   #3
red wrx
"TRF" Member

Thanks,

You guys are toooooo advanced for me, every time you guys (experts) mention a watch model I have to think about it for 5 sec. to visualize it LoL.

Better advise here than at a AD most of the time

Is the clast on teh YM the same as my SUB 2005???? Which is the same that I saw on your post about peeling off the stickers???

Thanks again
Old 26 February 2007, 06:15 AM   #4
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Thanks,

You guys are toooooo advanced for me, every time you guys (experts) mention a watch model I have to think about it for 5 sec. to visualize it LoL.

Better advise here than at a AD most of the time

Is the clast on teh YM the same as my SUB 2005???? Which is the same that I saw on your post about peeling off the stickers???

Thanks again
No....the YM has the shorter clasp, without the diver's extensions. The Sub is rated as a dive watch and its clasp will be longer because of the extension links.

JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
Old 26 February 2007, 06:20 AM   #5
red wrx
"TRF" Member

Any pics around???
Old 26 February 2007, 06:27 AM   #6
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Any pics around???
Here ya go....note shorter clasp on YM. Also note that crown logo is placed on the secure lock - NOT on the clasp.

Now, here's the Sub longer clasp. Note how the logo is embossed on the clasp itself.

Now the inside part of the Sub clasp.

Old 26 February 2007, 08:34 AM   #7
jaxflats

I know this post is about clasps, but what are the chances more watches will have the ceramic bezel?
jaxflats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2007, 10:23 AM   #8
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxflats View Post
I know this post is about clasps, but what are the chances more watches will have the ceramic bezel?
We don't know yet....but obviously the Ceramic bezel is quite futuristic.

Now nobody really knows how a Ceramic bezel would stand up under a powerful impact. Would it just crack? Would it just shatter? How expensive would it be to replace?

When you consider all these questions, you might just be better off with the standard bezel on a Sub, SD or a GMT-II.

Cheers - JJ

Old 26 February 2007, 10:36 AM   #9
A. Jacobs
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub Date 16610
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani View Post
We don't know yet....but obviously the Ceramic bezel is quite futuristic.

Now nobody really knows how a Ceramic bezel would stand up under a powerful impact. Would it just crack? Would it just shatter? How expensive would it be to replace?

When you consider all these questions, you might just be better off with the standard bezel on a Sub, SD or a GMT-II.

Cheers - JJ
You may be correct about ceramic shattering, JJ. In my job- flooring contractor- I work with many materials including ceramic tile that is applied on floors, walls, countertops, etc. Ceramic is not a very strong material even with a couple of layers of glaze on top. Even when it is dropped at a short distance, it always breaks, so it will be interesting to see how well they hold up in the future. It almost seems as if a ceramic bezel makes the watch more delicate.

"Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity."
A. Jacobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2007, 04:44 PM   #10
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Jacobs View Post
You may be correct about ceramic shattering, JJ. In my job- flooring contractor- I work with many materials including ceramic tile that is applied on floors, walls, countertops, etc. Ceramic is not a very strong material even with a couple of layers of glaze on top. Even when it is dropped at a short distance, it always breaks, so it will be interesting to see how well they hold up in the future. It almost seems as if a ceramic bezel makes the watch more delicate.
Perhaps Rolex have used some special high heat treatment technology to give this bezel extra strength, hardness and durability under stress!!

Old 27 February 2007, 12:21 AM   #11
jaxflats

On the plus side.......no wearing or fading of paint, etc. Also, with the gold (maybe platinum, etc in the future on SS/white gold watches) inlay, the bezel really gains some depth. I'm a fan. At first, I was a skeptic, and was turned off by the thought of ceramic, but I guess seeing is believing!

Now, back to the clasp discussion.....
jaxflats is offline   Reply With Quote