The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 28 February 2007, 11:19 AM   #1
zeppe19avr

Watch: Sea-dweller Z ser.
Removing light scratches from bracelet

Sorry if this subject is being brought back again, I forgot about where I read what product to use to remove light scratches from my SS oyster bracelet (not the polished sides, the regular ss satin finish ) Thank you all for this site, I appreciate the time you spend answering all of our questions.
Robert, SD Z series proud owner.
zeppe19avr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2007, 11:46 AM   #2
Incurable
"TRF" Member

Watch: your P's and Q's
I'm sure there are as many methods as there are members here but... I've used a fine Scotch-Brite pad before. Stroke one way only, away from the case and avoid touching any polished surfaces. I've found this very effective in masking, reducing and eliminating light cross-grain scratches on my Oyster bracelets. If you want, you can remove the bracelet from the watch, lay it out flat and avoid any inadvertant contact with the case or lugs. Be careful to start your stroke straight as the natural grain is parallel to the length of the bracelet. Any wobbly or unsure starts will show. Light, long strokes are all that are necessary. Don't 'work' one spot only. That's my $.02, let the debate begin...

Rolex GMT Master II 16710 (Blk/Blk)
Rolex Explorer 114270
Sinn 356 Sa Flieger
Limes Endurance 1Tausend
Too many others...

It may seem like I'm doing nothing but, at a cellular level, I'm actually quite busy...
Incurable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2007, 05:03 PM   #3
Alex Stylianou
"TRF" Member

JJ's tooth brush meathod works for me on my jubillee
Alex Stylianou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2007, 12:18 AM   #4
OysterDavid
Banned

I just ordered the Bergeon fiberglass brush tool for my Oyster and its light scratches. It hasn't arrived it, and I was told to practice on an old spoon to get a feel for how much pressure is needed for the proper finish.

I'll be happy to report back on whether or not I'm successful in either solving the minor scratch problem or contributing to the Rolex watchmaker's retirement fund to repair my laymen's attempt at braclet refinishing.
OysterDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2007, 02:08 AM   #5
oldbreadstinks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incurable View Post
I'm sure there are as many methods as there are members here but... I've used a fine Scotch-Brite pad before. Stroke one way only, away from the case and avoid touching any polished surfaces. I've found this very effective in masking, reducing and eliminating light cross-grain scratches on my Oyster bracelets. If you want, you can remove the bracelet from the watch, lay it out flat and avoid any inadvertant contact with the case or lugs. Be careful to start your stroke straight as the natural grain is parallel to the length of the bracelet. Any wobbly or unsure starts will show. Light, long strokes are all that are necessary. Don't 'work' one spot only. That's my $.02, let the debate begin...
ok i think i'm going to try this one........ on a spoon first
oldbreadstinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2007, 02:50 AM   #6
ohlins
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
haha how about a spoon made of 904L SS.....

the hype is true. a crown for every achievement.
visit my audio and watch blog & how to use the rolex comfort link?
ohlins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2007, 03:42 AM   #7
Solo118
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
The cape cod cloth is being shipped to my house... I just hope I can do the job right

Does anyone know if I can use the cape cod cloth on my bezel?
Solo118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2007, 04:07 AM   #8
montecristo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234 DateJust
http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=13531
montecristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2007, 04:57 PM   #9
Alex Stylianou
"TRF" Member

oh yeah also you can use an old SOFT tea towel
Alex Stylianou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2007, 05:20 PM   #10
Incurable
"TRF" Member

Watch: your P's and Q's
I've used the method I described above on my Oyster bracelets and have had very good success matching the factory finish and removing offending cross-grain scratches. I'm not sure about the Cape Cod pad. I have one but never used it. I think (and verified via the Cape Cod website) that it's purpose is to restore bright finishes, not brushed. The only down side to the Scotch-Brite method is it requires some finesse. Wobbly starts, too much pressure, back and forth strokes and rubbing are to be avoided. LIGHTLY stroke in one direction only... work up to where you want to be and don't overshoot. I'd hate to see anyone disfigure their bracelet based on my 'fix' for a common problem. For those deft of hand and a due caution, it works fine and is indistinguishable from the original finish.

Rolex GMT Master II 16710 (Blk/Blk)
Rolex Explorer 114270
Sinn 356 Sa Flieger
Limes Endurance 1Tausend
Too many others...

It may seem like I'm doing nothing but, at a cellular level, I'm actually quite busy...
Incurable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2007, 06:59 AM   #11
OysterDavid
Banned

Fiberglass brush update

Well, the Bergeon Fiberglass brush arrived today, and I just spent the better part of my lunch hour playing around with it.

Here's my report...(ahem...clearing throat...)
As suggested by the vendor, I found a couple of pieces of flat stainless steel scraps to 'practice' on. I extended the brush to different lengths and tried different levels of pressure. Sure enough on the practice scraps, I was able after a bit of time to lay down a pretty good brushed finish.

So, onward to the Oyster bracelet that has some obvious surface scratches and swirlls.

Good golly, Miss Molly, that 904 Stainless steel that Rolex uses is one tough metal!!

What seemed to be an easy technique on scrap stainless steel is almost impossible on a Rolex Oyster. I've tried different bristle extentension lengths, different amounts of pressure, one way strokes, two way strokes, actual 'brushing', and I'm barely making a dent in the finish.

I am able to brush out the very lightest of swirls, but anything more pronounced...forget it. And I'm not talking 'deep' scratches...just the usual flotsam and jetsam that we all pick up in day to day wearing.

So, now I've got a tool that will probably work if I want to put a brushed finish on an old spoon or a screwdriver in my tool box, or something to scratch plastic with....but for a Rolex Oyster with brushed finish...it's back to the watchmaker with the professional buffing machine.

Oh, and by the way...a fiberglass bristle came off and lodged in my finger. You know how paper cuts feel? Just like this.

Of course, your milage may vary.

(You may sit down, Oysterdavid)
OysterDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2007, 08:01 AM   #12
Solo118
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Incurable View Post
I've used the method I described above on my Oyster bracelets and have had very good success matching the factory finish and removing offending cross-grain scratches. I'm not sure about the Cape Cod pad. I have one but never used it. I think (and verified via the Cape Cod website) that it's purpose is to restore bright finishes, not brushed. The only down side to the Scotch-Brite method is it requires some finesse. Wobbly starts, too much pressure, back and forth strokes and rubbing are to be avoided. LIGHTLY stroke in one direction only... work up to where you want to be and don't overshoot. I'd hate to see anyone disfigure their bracelet based on my 'fix' for a common problem. For those deft of hand and a due caution, it works fine and is indistinguishable from the original finish.
The cape cod (to my understanding) would be better for those with TT bracelets or polished SS rather than the brushed finish (which the cape cod would ruin making it a polished look)
Solo118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2007, 08:37 AM   #13
Alcan
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: your P's & Q's
I have found that for anything other than the lightest of scratches, this works best. You should practice on a piece of scrap material first. Also, tape off the polished areas to avoid marring them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Grinder.jpg (47.3 KB, 164 views)
File Type: jpg Grinder_sparks.jpg (78.7 KB, 164 views)
Member #1,315

I don't want to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol IS a solution!
Alcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2007, 09:46 AM   #14
zeppe19avr

Watch: Sea-dweller Z ser.
Oh that's funny !!! What grit of grinding disc is best ??
zeppe19avr is offline   Reply With Quote