The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 9 March 2007, 03:22 AM   #1
EW6
"TRF" Member

Some advice needed please! (long post)

Hello all:

I do not currently own a rolex but I hope to soon. I am taking my time to figure out exactly which one I want before I make the plunge. I have been learning so much from this forum, and I very much appreciate all of the great info on this site. I would love to hear your opinions on which way I should go. Here are some of my thoughts:

The watch will definitely be my everyday watch. I would like it to be SS, and I have focused in on the Sub-non date, SD, and sub-date. I certainly won't abuse it, but I would want to feel comfotable that it could stand up to just about anything I threw at it - swimming, snorkeling, recreational diving, cycling, etc.

I love the look of the vintage watches, particularly the 5512 and 5513. I love the look without the date and the look of the domed crystal. I also particularly like the look of the matte dial without the white gold surrounds. However, I feel that if I bought a 5513 with a tritium dial, I would miss the lume at night.

I would prefer to buy a watch without the cyclops. I like the SD very much, but I like the look of 1665 with the maxi dial better than the modern one. Also, I'm a desk diver during the week and worry that this watch may be a bit bulky.

Do you guys think it is unwise for someone like me who knows relatively little about vintage rolexes to even consider this kind of purchase?

My understanding is that the 5512 dials can be replaced with newer super luminova dials without the white gold surrounds as a 5513 replacement would. I understand that most of the value for these vintage pieces is in the dial and I have yet to see someone selling a refurbished 5512. Is it ridiculous for me to even consider trying to find one of these? In other words, if I put a new dial on it, does it defeat the purpose of buying vintage?

Or since it is my first rolex, should I go to my local AD spend a lot of time with the SD and 14060M and decide between these two? The movement is better, I will be getting the two year warranty, relationship with AD, etc.

Thanks for your thoughts and insight guys.

Andrew
EW6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2007, 04:31 AM   #2
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Well unless your vintage watch comes from a reliable source unless you are well informed on vintage Rolex it can be a nightmare.Now all the models listed will meet your demands,even the 5513 for every day wear.Now don't read too much into a warranty,as watches seldom go wrong in the first two years anyway .Now if you don't like the cyclops the SD or non date sub are great choices.Now regarding the movements both SD and non date sub,are quite bullet proof in every way.And can perform to equal accuracy,the only difference is the SD is COSC tested while the Sub non date is not.But again don't read anything into this.Now the non Date Sub 14060 with the tritium dial is IMHO the next collectable Sub.Now if you do decide to buy new try both on see which one you like first.The SD although heavier than the sub non-date,IMHO there is not much difference on wrist.Good luck in your quest and welcome to TRF.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2007, 05:21 AM   #3
Alex Stylianou
"TRF" Member

If it were me , I would pick the DJ but maybey a Rolex Explorer II
Alex Stylianou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2007, 05:22 AM   #4
Alex Stylianou
"TRF" Member

Oh and welcome to TRF
Alex Stylianou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2007, 07:01 AM   #5
Solo118
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
No cyclops? Daytona baby... all the way!
Solo118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2007, 09:59 AM   #6
Blue Bull
Banned

Sea-Dweller ... Date,without the cyclops~very clean dial.Crystal,standing out from the bezel~very appealing look.Heavier,higher casing~ sets appart from the rest.Very comfy to wear,but I do have large wrists.Overall,a very pleasing design.Bold,tough,yet elegant.

On your very first Rolex,I would suggest buying new and from AD.Just do the legwork for the best pricing.Cash is always King Build a solid relationship with the AD.Do business with the owner,not the sales person.

A ss sport Rolex is an excellent choice for your first Rolex.Of these,the Sea-Dweller is the King
Blue Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2007, 11:13 AM   #7
Arturo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Black GMT ll
My suggestion is that you look at the Explorer ll with white face. A beautiful crisp and original watch with great night quality. It is the ss I wish I had done as my first Rolex given its flexible nature.
Arturo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2007, 12:04 PM   #8
mike
"TRF" Member

Hi Andrew,

LOL! That's a lot. I'll try to answer as best I can.

You are doing exactly the right thing in taking your time and learning all you can first. Especially if your decision process involves the possible purchase of a vintage piece. Take your time to read and learn all you can. Study dials, the differences in dials of the same reference as reguards to year of manufacture.
Vintage can be very rewarding, but it's not like going to an AD and buying a new watch.

Like you, I prefer the matt dial sans WG surrounds. These were/are the true Rolex tool watches of an eariler era. There's something very satisying about wearing a piece of history on your wrist. In a way it's more that a watch.

Since you mention three vintage pieces, 5513, 5512, 1665, let's look at those first.
The 1665 is an icon among vintage collectors. A watch that was ground breaking in it's a day and even now capable of preforming most any task one could ask of a watch.
If there is a "problem" with the 1665 it's that it has become such a desirable piece that it's price is becomming prohibitive to many.
The 5512, another collector's piece also commands a hefty price and is getting extremely hard to find in good condition. Yes both can be fitted with a superluminova dial as nither watch was ever released by Rolex with a WG surround dial.
To do so however will have a large impact on the value of the watch, in my view negating it's collective value.
Additionally, as a daily wearer, subjecting the piece to the bangs and bumps associated with that I think has to viewed against it's place as true collector's pieces. To me these are "occasional" pieces.
That brings us to the 5513. Earlier versions with the matt tritium dial are certainly hot right now, but with a bit of research and patience extremely nice examples turn up.
Valuable as a collector's piece, the 5513 can still be used as a daily wearer. Properly serviced and pressure checked there's no reason the 5513 could not stand up to what the watch was orginally designed for.
Yes, you will not have a dial that glows. A replacement dial for the 5513 will be with WG surrounds. The 5513 was at the end of it's run issued with a WG dial.
That, of course, is the downside to orginal vintage. On those occasions many switch to a newer watch.
Still the 5513 has a LOT going for it.
Mine circa 1977,

If I may, since you mentioned a Sub-date, interject one other option, the white 1680.
The first of the date subs(I know the cyclops thing) the 1680 is a great daily vintage wearer in it's own right.
With a tritium dial you have the matt look, date, and the unique 1680 crystal. No other Rolex reference sports this look.

If Lume is an important factor, the 1680, because it also was never issued with a WG dial can be fitted with a matt luminova dial. Again the value and collectability of the piece will be impacted, but it is an option.
It's an option I used because I wanted a vintage piece that was fully functional.
My RSC 1680 lumi

Forgive me if I tout the 1680, it's my favorite Diver.

Good luck! and we can help....
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2007, 01:02 PM   #9
christo
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT Daytona
Vintage: lots of fakes, don't hold up as well with rugged treatment like new. New: They all work just as well as the other. No difference in quality. It's all about looks. You have to like what you buy. Put them on your wrist and buy the one you like the most. Cost is close enought b/t SD and Sub that if you try to buy the least expensive but don't like it as much, you'll never be happy. The only reason you buy an expensive watch is for the pleasure you get wearing it. Forget resell value, diving depth, cost...Buy the one you like.
christo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2007, 01:18 PM   #10
leopardprey
Banned

Watch: Panerai 233
Welcome EW 6! The SD is a great watch. I have a Sub No Date and it fits much slimmer and is very simple. If you can live without a date feature go fo it. You might also want to consider a GMT. Just got one and think it is probably the "tool" watch, in terms of versatility. 2-3 time zones, date, several different ways to monitor elapsed time, slim fit on wrist, interchangable bezel colors. Be careful buying a Rolex, they can become addictive!

BTW, Mike, I hate you!! LOL LOL LOL
leopardprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2007, 01:24 PM   #11
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Welcome to TRF, Andrew. Looks like Mike our expert has got it beautifully covered for you.

Good luck - JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2007, 10:55 PM   #12
EW6
"TRF" Member

Thank you all for your responses - I appreciate the insight. Mike, you you make a solid case for the 1680. It is indeed a beautiful watch. From what I have seen on this site, you have unbelievable collection.

I also think I can understand how it is so easy to buy more than one rolex...

I will keep you guys posted, and I hope you don't mind more questions as they come up.

Andrew
EW6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2007, 05:36 AM   #13
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by EW6 View Post
Thank you all for your responses - I appreciate the insight. Mike, you you make a solid case for the 1680. It is indeed a beautiful watch. From what I have seen on this site, you have unbelievable collection.

I also think I can understand how it is so easy to buy more than one rolex...

I will keep you guys posted, and I hope you don't mind more questions as they come up.

Andrew
You're welcome, Andrew. Please feel free to ask as many questions as you like.

JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote