The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 7 November 2010, 02:01 AM   #1
Tijssan
"TRF" Member

Watch: this...
116520 Daytona dial differences

A while back I noticed that there are 2 different dials on the current 116520’s. I had just bought a new black faced one and saw someone else’s pictures of his. The difference seemed minor (and it probably is for most people) but I had to find out in real life. Tim (train-time) had noticed it as well and with his help I managed to trace a few other black faced Daytona’s to do some comparison.

side by side.jpg

So what are the differences? There are 3:

1) Ticks at the 27 and 28 positions (single tick vs double tick)
2) The shine of the sub dials
3) The boldness of the fonts on the sub dials

Single
close up 1 tick 2.jpg

Double
close up 2 tick 2.jpg

The shine of the sub dials on the double tick is much more profound. It is hard to capture in a picture, but from a distance it is really noticeable. It gives a the two versions a different look.

Less shine
1 tick shine.jpg

More shine
2 tick shine.jpg

The fonts used on the double tick is more profound. As a result it makes the print more readable in certain light. I have to emphasize the light angle here, as due to the higher shine of the sub dials of the 'double tick' are actually less readable in certain light.

close up 1 tick.jpg

close up 2 tick.jpg

Based on my search and the 4 black faces Daytona’s I picked up for this little project the double tick dials are installed on the newer versions. I have seen them on both random and V-serials, although I have to point out I have seen the single ticks on the random serials as well. In addition, the watches I used in this post are both V-serials, but the double tick is a V87xxxx, whereas the single tick is a V88xxxx.

So far I haven’t been able to find double ticks on early V-serials, nor M-serials. There are earlier versions of the double tick though (Z & D), but I haven’t been able to establish whether the shine and font differences also apply to these models.

After having spent my time analyzing this, I concluded I prefer the double tick version, but as with everything this is personal

I believe Tim is doing a similar project for the white versions, so it would be interesting to see if the same differences apply.
Tijssan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2010, 02:29 AM   #2
Speed
"TRF" Member

Sorry. Can't see your pics.
Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2010, 02:37 AM   #3
Sixxgrand1
Banned

Watch: EXP I & II
Nice catch...

I have had two V series this year - one of each - and I did not even notice these differences until you pointed them out...I do know that the double tick model was brand new stock from Rolex that week so perhaps the double tick is the current production design.
Sixxgrand1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2010, 02:43 AM   #4
moviefreak
"TRF" Member

slightly larger seconds line at 27 and 33 min.. Yup saw that before... I do like the slightly darker subindices rings, sort of a modern Patrizzi Daytona Dial..

I do believe the bold font sometimes could be a visual effect from the shine on the subdial but not on the actual font..
Old 7 November 2010, 02:49 AM   #5
R S
"TRF" Member

two singles????
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0030.jpg (84.1 KB, 4220 views)
Old 7 November 2010, 02:59 AM   #6
train-time
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixxgrand1 View Post
I have had two V series this year - one of each - and I did not even notice these differences until you pointed them out...I do know that the double tick model was brand new stock from Rolex that week so perhaps the double tick is the current production design.
Not necessarily the case with the V Serial Daytonas. I had one of the last V serial (V987XXX) and it had the "single tic" dial. I have also seen new Random serials with the same dial. (There seems to be no correlation between current production and later production. It's like they grab whatever dial at the moment of assembly without any logic to selection.)

I received a white dial from RUSA last week (Late V) and it had the single tic dial as well. It's important to note that this "tic" difference does exist in white dial versions as well. I haven't seen two side by side to compare yet, but it appears that "readibility" isn't as much an issue with white as it is with black as far as the sub-dial fonts are concerned.
train-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2010, 03:02 AM   #7
moviefreak
"TRF" Member

I thought I read sometime ago the ones with longer lines at 27 and 33 min appear to be present mostly on older series... At that time I checked on listings for older models and they had the longer lines ...
Old 7 November 2010, 03:16 AM   #8
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 SUBMARINER Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Very nice shots Tijs!!! Love your Daytonas!!!

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2010, 03:24 AM   #9
Tijssan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerFan1965 View Post
Very nice shots Tijs!!! Love your Daytonas!!!
Cheers Kev... ehh Ken
Old 7 November 2010, 04:06 AM   #10
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 SUBMARINER Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tijssan View Post
Cheers Kev... ehh Ken

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2010, 07:04 AM   #11
NEW
"TRF" Member

Watch: MANY
Quote:
A while back I noticed that there are 2 different dials on the current 116520’s. I had just bought a new black faced one and saw someone else’s pictures of his. The difference seemed minor (and it probably is for most people) but I had to find out in real life. Tim (train-time) had noticed it as well and with his help I managed to trace a few other black faced Daytona’s to do some comparison.

Attachment 171046

So what are the differences? There are 3:

1) Ticks at the 27 and 28 positions (single tick vs double tick)
2) The shine of the sub dials
3) The boldness of the fonts on the sub dials

Single
Attachment 171047

Double
Attachment 171051

The shine of the sub dials on the double tick is much more profound. It is hard to capture in a picture, but from a distance it is really noticeable. It gives a the two versions a different look.

Less shine
Attachment 171048

More shine
Attachment 171049

The fonts used on the double tick is more profound. As a result it makes the print more readable in certain light. I have to emphasize the light angle here, as due to the higher shine of the sub dials of the 'double tick' are actually less readable in certain light.

Attachment 171050

Attachment 171052

Based on my search and the 4 black faces Daytona’s I picked up for this little project the double tick dials are installed on the newer versions. I have seen them on both random and V-serials, although I have to point out I have seen the single ticks on the random serials as well. In addition, the watches I used in this post are both V-serials, but the double tick is a V87xxxx, whereas the single tick is a V88xxxx.

So far I haven’t been able to find double ticks on early V-serials, nor M-serials. There are earlier versions of the double tick though (Z & D), but I haven’t been able to establish whether the shine and font differences also apply to these models.

After having spent my time analyzing this, I concluded I prefer the double tick version, but as with everything this is personal

I believe Tim is doing a similar project for the white versions, so it would be interesting to see if the same differences apply.

Also the 4's are different on 40
Old 12 November 2010, 12:57 AM   #12
Tijssan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moviefreak View Post
I thought I read sometime ago the ones with longer lines at 27 and 33 min appear to be present mostly on older series... At that time I checked on listings for older models and they had the longer lines ...
Correct - not sure about the sub dial differences though. Perhaps my next project :)
Old 12 November 2010, 01:33 AM   #13
moviefreak
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Correct - not sure about the sub dial differences though. Perhaps my next project :)
That would be nice, just send me a PM, and I will send you high resolution macro pictures of the darker sub-dial style Daytona with short markers. Or I can just post them here if you want...
Old 12 November 2010, 04:28 AM   #14
EchoBlueUK
"TRF" Member

Interesting news. I think the shorter lines are are on the newer models. There is a similar discussion around various Mk1 and Mk2 DSSD dials popping up with various dials.

Are the Daytona actual fonts slightly different on these too?
EchoBlueUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2010, 05:08 AM   #15
Tijssan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoBlueUK View Post
Interesting news. I think the shorter lines are are on the newer models. There is a similar discussion around various Mk1 and Mk2 DSSD dials popping up with various dials.

Are the Daytona actual fonts slightly different on these too?
Actually - the longer lines are on the newer ones. And yes there is a font difference
Old 12 November 2010, 05:10 AM   #16
Tijssan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moviefreak View Post
That would be nice, just send me a PM, and I will send you high resolution macro pictures of the darker sub-dial style Daytona with short markers. Or I can just post them here if you want...
Let's share the wealth and post those pics!
Old 5 January 2011, 09:44 AM   #17
DM101
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by train-time View Post
Not necessarily the case with the V Serial Daytonas. I had one of the last V serial (V987XXX) and it had the "single tic" dial. I have also seen new Random serials with the same dial. (There seems to be no correlation between current production and later production. It's like they grab whatever dial at the moment of assembly without any logic to selection.)

I received a white dial from RUSA last week (Late V) and it had the single tic dial as well. It's important to note that this "tic" difference does exist in white dial versions as well. I haven't seen two side by side to compare yet, but it appears that "readibility" isn't as much an issue with white as it is with black as far as the sub-dial fonts are concerned.
Anyone seen or bought the new 2 tick WHITE DIAL yet ?
DM101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2011, 12:08 AM   #18
Boadicea
Banned

My 3 week old Black Dial has short markers. It is a Random Serial. I don't think there are any links to age. I did notice that the word "COSMOGRAPH" on some new models have a larger gap between the "R" and the "A".. eg "COSMOGR APH" and the "PH" are almost touching each other. It might just be my imagination though... Looks like a missprint to me.
Boadicea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2011, 05:38 AM   #19
bemik
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116520 Black
wow, from the pictures the double tick does look better!
bemik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2011, 07:32 AM   #20
kokota
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Thanks for this post.

From your last 2 pics, it also appears that the font in the word DAYTONA is different.
The "D" looks "stretched" in the second to last pic and more compressed in the last pic.
kokota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2011, 09:43 PM   #21
DM101
"TRF" Member

The FONT for "4" in the old dial (above) has a FLAT top

The FONT for "4" in the new dial (below) has a SHARP top

DM101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2011, 10:58 PM   #22
GolfPunk
"TRF" Member

Watch: WG Daytona
I got mine 4 week ago black faced, it has the longer marks on 27 & 33 and is a last V series (December 2010). I think the shine on sub dials and boldness of fonts is as a direct result of people finding the black face harder to read than White faced. All perfect now IMO
Old 6 January 2011, 11:40 PM   #23
Michael9
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by GolfPunk View Post
I got mine 4 week ago black faced, it has the longer marks on 27 & 33 and is a last V series (December 2010). I think the shine on sub dials and boldness of fonts is as a direct result of people finding the black face harder to read than White faced. All perfect now IMO
Got mine 2 weeks ago and its a G followed buy six digits thanks for all the info guys all helps appreciate more

Heres mine with the marks and gloss bling rings...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_3212.jpg (90.9 KB, 3590 views)
Michael9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2011, 02:26 AM   #24
MortgageGuy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me
Great shots everyone
Old 12 January 2011, 01:34 PM   #25
bemik
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116520 Black
it seems double ticks started appearing on newer models, yet there are some random serial single ticks as opposed to v-serial double ticks!

can some more random serial number black faced owners share whether they have a single or double tick?
Old 13 January 2011, 03:49 PM   #26
Yazo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Interesting.
Yazo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2011, 06:33 PM   #27
chucs75
"TRF" Member

good information. Do we have conclusion which is of a later dial?
chucs75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2011, 01:38 AM   #28
moviefreak
"TRF" Member

Double Ticks are predominant on the older Daytona's... Single Tick Dials on the Newer Models...
Old 17 January 2011, 03:38 AM   #29
petesjag
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bemik View Post
it seems double ticks started appearing on newer models, yet there are some random serial single ticks as opposed to v-serial double ticks!

can some more random serial number black faced owners share whether they have a single or double tick?
I bought a new black face daytona a few weeks ago. My AD assured that it came that week straight from Rolex, to the head office in Holland where she then had it sent to her...It has a Random number and a single Tick...
It seems though the single ticks and double ticks are being randomly placed..

that would be my conclution....

I have seen double ticks on 2008 black daytonas.....
petesjag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2011, 04:34 AM   #30
Boadicea
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by petesjag View Post
I bought a new black face daytona a few weeks ago. It has a Random number and a single Tick...
Mine too, brand new from AD about 3 weeks ago.
Boadicea is offline   Reply With Quote