The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 29 March 2007, 10:04 PM   #1
krl
"TRF" Member

What made you overcome your conscience?

Okay. I have been reading the forums here for a couple of months now. I have been interested in a DJ that retails for about $5000. Now, the fact that we are all here means that by one way or another, we can afford the watch - that you could stealing, begging or borrowing.

What I am having some trouble is that while I can afford the watch, I am not able to overcome my conscience that tells me that $5000 is too much to spend for a damn nice Rolex Datejust. I was wondering what you guys did to overcome this sense of guilt - knowing that your money could very well be put in a savings account at 5%.

Let's hear it. How did you overcome your conscience to pull the trigger on the watch?
krl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2007, 10:55 PM   #2
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 SUBMARINER Patron

Watch: What do you think?
I never had any guilt at all. It was something I wanted enough to say it's worth what I pay for it.

I never have any guilt about spending my kids' inheritance.

As someone once said, you know you've led a good life when your credit card bills are paid up, your mortgage is paid off, and the check to the funeral home bounces.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2007, 10:59 PM   #3
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockrolex View Post
I never had any guilt at all. It was something I wanted enough to say it's worth what I pay for it.

I never have any guilt about spending my kids' inheritance.

As someone once said, you know you've led a good life when your credit card bills are paid up, your mortgage is paid off, and the check to the funeral home bounces.
Now that Ed is a man after my own heart.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2007, 11:24 PM   #4
tag_addict

Watch: T-Touch Carbon
Haha, I agree completely.

If you can't justify it in your OWN head, don't get it
You will be unhappy.

I, like all of us, spend thousands on watches. Could it have been invested? Most likely... but Ive had fun, and thats priceless.
tag_addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2007, 11:30 PM   #5
Kris
Banned

Watch: Sea-Dweller Z-ser.
My Rolex purchase decision wasn't something I made in the span of a couple of weeks or even months. I had started seriously thinking about it starting in 2005.

I mulled it over for a couple of years when in 2006 I realized this wasn't some phase that was just going to blow over. In September of 2006 I took the next step my calling Rolex Canada to mail me their catalog and a price list. I figured that catalog would pretty much tell me just how within my reach a Rolex was. I received the catalog a week later and went through it first to see which models I liked. I flagged the ones I liked and then matched with the price list. From there I picked the 2 models I liked the most which were the Explorer II and the GMT II (I ended up buying the SD which actually costs more, go figure). I had plenty of cash savings to buy the watch right then and there, but as the holiday season was coming up and getting a discount would be difficult if not impossible, I strategically set January 2007 as the point I was going to buy. As consumer spending typically drops after the Christmas holidays, I figured the AD would give me a better deal just to keep the momentum going from the holidays.

In the end, I paid cash for the watch as that resulted in a better discount and not having to carry a balance on my credit card on this thing was an added incentive. Like I said, I prepared years ago for this purchase. A spend-thrift attitude, no vices (smoking/drinking/gambling), and some healthy work-bonuses made it that much simpler.

In the end, the cash payment I made on this watch was less than 40% of my bank savings! It made a small dent really.

I've suffered no buyer's remorse. Funny, I believe I may have had I paid for it on credit as I figured whatever savings I would have made on a discount for credit would have been swallowed up in interest on carrying a balance on my VISA. This way I owe nothing.

I strongly suggest a cooling off period on these things if money is an issue. If you find you keep coming back to wanting a Rolex, you're probably ready to buy it. My cooling off period was 2 years. After all that time, I still wanted it.
Kris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2007, 11:31 PM   #6
OysterDavid
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by krl View Post
Let's hear it. How did you overcome your conscience to pull the trigger on the watch?
Truly, none of us need an expensive watch to tell the time. A $40 Swatch or $50 Timex will sit on our wrists and let us know where in the earthly spin of things our longitude sits in relation to the sun.

And we can all choose to live a spartan existance, treading with as light a footprint on mother earth as we can. We can spend sparingly, save religiously, consume lightly and still live quality lives. Indeed, at various points in our financial lives, we may have had to out of necessity.

However, as humans, in the freedom of living our lives, we are also allowed to indulge ourselves of what I'll call earthly delights. Perhaps it's a well prepared restaurant meal. Or a piece of art. Maybe an article of clothing. A certain item from the audio or visual or technology spectrum. Or even...a piece of jewelry.

For whatever the reason, we here have chosen a fine timepiece made by Rolex as our common selection. I'm sure some on this forum are blessed with material wealth far beyond my imagination. And conversely, I'm sure there are other forum members who had to sacrafice other material things to finally afford their timekeeper of choice. It doesn't matter. In the end, this is nothing more than a hobby. Some of us obsese more than others. Some are fare more involved than others. But it is the mystique, appreciation and admiration for a timepiece called Rolex that brings us all here.

If you're agonizing over the pros and cons of spending the amount of money you're thinking of for 'just a watch', then perhaps it's not quite your time to plunk down the dollars. That doesn't make you good or bad, it just means it's not quite the priority to own a Rolex that it is for us.

My Mother grew up in the depression years in the US. It is incomprehensable to her that I would spend as much as I do on a piece of jewelry called Rolex. I understand her background and frugality born of necessity. I've chosen to spend my money differently. Every morning when I get to choose from one of many watches to wear that day, I feel first blessed that I've been able to acquire multiple timepieces, and then throughout the day, I feel a sense of enjoyment and satisfaction when I get to look at the watch on my wrist.

I suppose it's no different than someone who likes to dress nicely and fashionably, or someone else who follows a sports team and wears that team's colors on game day or even someone who enjoys collecting stamps or electric toy trains.

Hopefully you'll have some kind of passion to pursue. Watches or not, I hope it brings you pleasure.

Thanks for asking.
OysterDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2007, 11:52 PM   #7
sinbad
"TRF" Member

OysterDavid: I could not have said it any better. My LV was purchased while on holiday with family in the Bahamas. My sweet mother also came with us which made the trip that much more enjoyable. Being self employed, we take such few holidays. The LV reminds of my trip and how precious time is. I feel blessed that I am in a position to buy it without causing harm to my home, business and family future.
sinbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2007, 12:08 AM   #8
Mr. K
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Okay. I have been reading the forums here for a couple of months now. I have been interested in a DJ that retails for about $5000. Now, the fact that we are all here means that by one way or another, we can afford the watch - that you could stealing, begging or borrowing.

What I am having some trouble is that while I can afford the watch, I am not able to overcome my conscience that tells me that $5000 is too much to spend for a damn nice Rolex Datejust. I was wondering what you guys did to overcome this sense of guilt - knowing that your money could very well be put in a savings account at 5%.

If you really feel that $5000 is too much to pend on a watch and it really bothers you, then do not get the watch.

Lets face it 5K is no small chunk on change anyway you look at it. The last thing you want to do is have instant buyer's remorse and feel guilty.

There are a lot of really nice cheaper watches out there and this forum is a great resource of info.

If you feel you need to put the money into investments then do that. If one day you change your mind and feel you would like to put that kind of $ into a nice watch, the THAT would be the time to but the watch.

Good luck in whatever you do.
Mr. K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2007, 12:10 AM   #9
diablojota
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Submariner Date
I bought mine without guilt. I wanted the Sub Date as it was a childhood dream. I bought it when I got promoted at my job in Europe. I figured that money is money. As long as I'm saving some for retirement, and debt free, I should do something that makes me feel good.

FcB
diablojota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2007, 12:43 AM   #10
Gedanken
"TRF" Member

Watch: F-series SD
Guilt? What guilt?

I can, I did and I would again if the mood so took me.

I hate wasting money but I don't mind spending it. Five grand on a watch that makes me happy easily beats five bucks on a meal I don't enjoy.
Old 30 March 2007, 12:55 AM   #11
watchnut
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Daytona & TT DJ
I've never had any remorse over buying my watches. What I usually have remorse over is that I don't get things when I first desire them, usually waiting until the price has gone up. I started looking at Rolexes back when a new Sub or GMT was under a grand. I should have bought then even though my wealth was probably relative. Now a large portion of my money is in the stock market and it goes up or down on a daily basis enough to buy a Rolex. So I figure at least I have something to show for it.
watchnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2007, 01:26 AM   #12
gmt 16750
"TRF" Member

Watch: what your doing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gedanken View Post
I hate wasting money but I don't mind spending it.
Your a man after my own heart - wise words mate
Old 30 March 2007, 01:35 AM   #13
oldbreadstinks

Quote:
Guilt? What guilt?

I hate wasting money but I don't mind spending it. Five grand on a watch that makes me happy easily beats five bucks on a meal I don't enjoy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchnut View Post
I've never had any remorse over buying my watches. What I usually have remorse over is that I don't get things when I first desire them, usually waiting until the price has gone up.
i tried applying that to the stock market and its killing me lol
i mean really.........
oldbreadstinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2007, 01:45 AM   #14
mansion

I had looked 5 years ago: 40th birthday present to myself.

At the time I said 'no, I cannot justify it'.

I kept it on my to do list though, and when I was going to hit 45, I said, 'OK, go on, stop drooling'. So I went ahead.

Spending the money has not affected my lifestyle in any way, and if I hadn't bought the watch the money would have stayed in the bank, enriching my banker.
mansion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2007, 01:47 AM   #15
Gaijin
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ing your back.
Quote:
Guilt? What guilt?

Well said! Also, I pay myself first. I max out my 457 (non profit govertment version of the 401K.) I have that money automatically deducted from my pay before I even see it. I set up 6 months expenses of cash in a high yield account for emergencies. From then on any money leftover I spend I don't feel guilty about. As was so well said above, spend, not waste. Buying a Rolex in my opinion is not "wasting" your money. It will hold its value pretty darn well.

Last edited by Gaijin; 30 March 2007 at 03:41 AM..
Gaijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2007, 01:56 AM   #16
kieran

ok, so do what i did,get a jar,put all the loose cash you have in it until you have half the price of the watch,then get the money from your bank account,and you can trick yourself into justifying the purchase price..lol
kieran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2007, 02:29 AM   #17
Erix
"TRF" Member

Watch: D Sub date 16610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris View Post
I strongly suggest a cooling off period on these things if money is an issue. If you find you keep coming back to wanting a Rolex, you're probably ready to buy it. My cooling off period was 2 years. After all that time, I still wanted it.
I quit smoking, at 5 euro a pack and one pack a day, I figured if I don't smoke for two years then I have earned me my sub date.

The maths were a bit off due to the price increases, and I felt a quilty for spending that amount of money , but what the heck, a promise is a promise and if you can't keep promises to yourself...
And I still wanted my price/reward after 2 years.

Anyway I feel better, healtier and have a nice watch so it was worth it.

Erix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2007, 02:33 AM   #18
mbogo

Guilt is for white liberals, not watch fans.

If I want it, and have the money for it, I buy it.

George
mbogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2007, 03:34 AM   #19
astcell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116713
There are many things I save up for and when I havce the cash to go for it, I change my mind. When I buy on credit I do not "feel" it as much, but when it comes to cash I am very picky about what I spend it on.

While I have one watch that approaches ten grand, I have wanted it for a long time, and when it came time to buy it, there was nothiung I wanted more. I could have paid off my car, bought a nice 1856 Flying Eagle Cent, put it towards a WII Enigma, and so on.

$5,000 is not very much money when we are talking about cars or houses, but it is a ton of money when we talk about watches, candy bars, cotton balls and salt packets.

So when you have $5,000 and you are tempted to reconsider, then do just that. The watch will be there tomorrow. Maybe you would rather buy a very nice used GMT II for $3,500, or an Air King. Or maybe you feel that a Two Tone model is only a few thou away and a much nicer deal. Or maybe you want to go to Las Vegas.

It is your money, do not feel pressured!
astcell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2007, 03:35 AM   #20
astcell
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbogo View Post

If I want it, and have the money for it, I buy it.

George

Ergo, if you are white and liberal, you do not have a nice watch?

or

If you have a nice watch you are not a white liberal?

Old 30 March 2007, 03:43 AM   #21
advocatia
Banned

Watch: PAM 422 GMTIIC
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbogo View Post

George
WTF are you talking about?
advocatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2007, 03:43 AM   #22
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Well, like they say....when you gotta buy, you gotta buy!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2007, 03:44 AM   #23
Ragu
"TRF" Member

Watch: the Sauce ;)
Have you checked the prices on the "pre-loved" Rolex's?
Might ease it some what.

Proud Member #2391
Ragu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2007, 03:49 AM   #24
Incurable
"TRF" Member

Watch: your P's and Q's
Just do it...

Rolex GMT Master II 16710 (Blk/Blk)
Rolex Explorer 114270
Sinn 356 Sa Flieger
Limes Endurance 1Tausend
Too many others...

It may seem like I'm doing nothing but, at a cellular level, I'm actually quite busy...
Incurable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2007, 03:59 AM   #25
timetravel125
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:

I completely understand. I was on the same boat almost 3 weeks ago, so to lessen the guilt, I also bought the "Mrs." a Rolex. I bought a preowned SD and got her a DJ. She and I are both happy. Now, she could no longer drag me to those futile and unnecessary spending trips to the mall.

Abraham Lincoln, once said: "I cannot understand why men are so eager after money. Wealth is just simply the EXCESS of what we don't need."

I am not wealthy, though. When I hear the unfortunate circumstances of my friends, who are dealing with serious illnesses--I count my blessings and enjoy life as it should be. I spend.

I am in the opinion that CREMATION, is a lot cheaper than those expensive funeral home expenses.

Louie
timetravel125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2007, 04:09 AM   #26
Kris
Banned

Watch: Sea-Dweller Z-ser.
Someone here should explain to me why it is expected and socially acceptible for a woman to expect a $5000 + diamond engagement ring and other such overinflated "tinsle" while it's unacceptible for a man to spend this kind of money on himself by buying an nice watch which unlike jewellery (see "tinsle") which actually has a purpose and serves a function (telling time)?????????????

I'm fed up with these gender double-standards.

When a woman asks me why/how I could spend that kind of money for a watch, I throw this analogy right back in her face.

This answer usually solicites a surprised reaction from the female, then a nod of agreeance, and NO rebuttal. Why? Because I'm 100% right!

I believe you need this watch! For the good of all men, you need to buy this watch!
Kris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2007, 05:00 AM   #27
astcell
"TRF" Member

Kris, your logic is infallable.

That's like men getting "congratulated" for being single (divorced) yet women are congratulated for getting married.
Old 30 March 2007, 05:21 AM   #28
Blue Bull
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by astcell View Post
Ergo, if you are white and liberal, you do not have a nice watch?

or

If you have a nice watch you are not a white liberal?

... and if you are a white conservative with a nice watch,you are not guilty.Hey,I am a happy guilt free man .... !!
Blue Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2007, 05:24 AM   #29
Goodwatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: the sunrise...
Some of you already have come to the heart of the matter. Your question can be applied to many a purchase. Why write with a $480 Montblanc while a $2 roller ball will suffice? As I have said before, any watch over $200 is irrational. (There are some small exceptions). But does life always have to be rational? Life is too short for this. If you can afford it and it is a Rolex that tickles your fancy, go for it!
Old 30 March 2007, 05:30 AM   #30
cbrenthus
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing my second hand
One thing that helped me justlfy the urchase to myself wa sthe fact that Rolex watches hold their value. I know that I didn't just piss my money away, but rather I can get most of it back any time I want!

Also, a Rolex is timless. In 20 years, it will still be a Rolex, and the models then won't be much different from now.
cbrenthus is offline   Reply With Quote