The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 31 March 2007, 04:36 PM   #1
kradcliffe
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M & TT GMT
TT Blue Sub or TT GMT Anniversary????? HELP!

Opinions please....TT Blue Sub or TT GMT Anniversary???? I'm looking for a flashy (flashyier than my Sub 14060M) watch to wear with my gold wedding band (currently wear a silver tungsten carbide). I love the TT watch shine in the sun, but the blue sub seems like it would be tough to wear with a suit, or even shirt and tie if blue wasn't included in the tie or shirt. Is the GMT more versatile? Those who own both or one or the other, I'd love your feedback. You guys are always very helpful!!! That GMT looks fabulous!!! But, the blue sub is cherished....decisions decisions.....HELP!!!!
kradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2007, 04:39 PM   #2
kradcliffe
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M & TT GMT
JJ, Your opinion is huge here for me...You obviously love the blue sub, and you are also a fan of the TT GMT. What do you think????
kradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2007, 05:11 PM   #3
diablojota
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Submariner Date
Go with the one that moves you the most. The blue goes quite well with a suit (my father wears his with a suit all the time).
I am currently on the TT GMT kick at the moment (50th Anniv) as I find it stunning.

FcB
diablojota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2007, 05:12 PM   #4
vdave

Watch: Oyster DT & GMT II
Go for the TT GMT anniversary... you will be much happy with the look & feel. Not to mention the solid gold links and the Gold letter engraved ceramic bezel......
vdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2007, 05:17 PM   #5
Blue Bull
Banned

I guess you will have to wait for JJs opinion.
Blue Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2007, 05:23 PM   #6
Gedanken
"TRF" Member

Watch: F-series SD
Unless you tend to wear brown, I don't think the blue is a real issue in terms of clashing. That said, the construction of the TT GMT (especially the new bracelet) is a leap so far ahead you can feel it. I'd go with the GMT if it came down to picking one.
Old 31 March 2007, 05:23 PM   #7
mic6
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116718 green
I have owned both the TT black and blue subs. I got bored of the black dial in three days. The blue TT sub is simply one of the best watches ever created. It fits well with everything and the dial gets different shades depending on the lighting. I like the construction of the new GMT of course but I would buy the TT blue sub. A watch for ever
mic6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2007, 06:08 PM   #8
Blue Bull
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mic6 View Post
I have owned both the TT black and blue subs. I got bored of the black dial in three days. The blue TT sub is simply one of the best watches ever created. It fits well with everything and the dial gets different shades depending on the lighting. I like the construction of the new GMT of course but I would buy the TT blue sub. A watch for ever
Now,here is an intelligent answer ...
Old 31 March 2007, 06:21 PM   #9
Obsession
Banned

Watch: Tissot Seastar
Ofcourse the Blue TT SUB for Forever!!!
Obsession is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2007, 08:08 PM   #10
mic6
"TRF" Member

by the way this forum is wonderful..i am a new member but JJ might remember me from turf a few years ago..after owing more than 6 different rolexes (SD, LV, DJ, black SS sub, black and blue TT sub) i have only kept the TT blue sub and i am now a paneristi too..i am in love with my panerai 1950 fiddy!
As far as the TT sub discussion goes, there is just something about it..I always thought that a full gold blue sub would be the rolex of my dreams..after owing one for a few days i realised that the TT blue sub is way better looking..best combination ever..plus this is the only rolex that i sold and i regreted it a few days later..that's why i bought it again..and this is why it is my only rolex watch right now

cheers!
Old 31 March 2007, 08:17 PM   #11
mic6
"TRF" Member

....and hearing the rumors about rolex upgrading the TT sub soon, i really think it would be a great improvement. The new case is really tempting
Old 1 April 2007, 04:39 AM   #12
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kradcliffe View Post
JJ, Your opinion is huge here for me...You obviously love the blue sub, and you are also a fan of the TT GMT. What do you think????
Hi KC,

Sorry, I just came across this thread and I'd be more than happy to give you my opinion.

Yes, I've seen both watches side by side at my AD's and spent a long time gazing down at them.

I finally did decide on the TT Blue Sub because I had one previously and like a fool went and sold it. Didn't want to make that same mistake again....so I picked up this one (which I currently own) last December.

Frankly, the maxi dial does nothing for me. IMHO it only tends to clutter up the dial with the rather oversized luminous blobs and broad hands. Much prefer the standard dial.

While the Ceramic bezel is a superb new introduction from Rolex, I still much prefer the standard bezel.

However, what I do love about the Anniversary GMT-II is the newer bracelet with all SOLID gold centre links and the much improved clasp.

And, of course, we come to the all important price difference. When I picked my TT Blue Sub, I did get a massive discount and got it for just US$5900 out-the-door. The Anniversary GMT-II however was like close to US$8000 final price.

The most important thing was when I actually viewed them side-by-side, the TT Blue Sub blew the rest of the competition away (I also asked the AD to place the TT Blue YM, an SS/Pt YM and a TT Black Sub next to the Blue Sub and the new TT GMT-II).

The Blue Sub was the hands down winner!! Go get it, pal!! You won't regret it!!

Good luck - JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2007, 04:45 AM   #13
ROLEX4FD

Watch: TT Blue Sub & SDDS
I agree with JJ. I love the new bracelet on the GMT II, solid gold center links is a long time overdue as is the upgraded clasp. However, having said that, the TT Blue Sub in my humble opinion is the cornerstone of the Rolex line - and by far the most beautiful watch they make. The decision is your of course - and this is just my opinion. However, it seems to match the majority from what I've read. As always go with the one that makes you smile!! Good luck. It's nice to have choices - isn't it?
ROLEX4FD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2007, 04:50 AM   #14
Spencer
"TRF" Member

The blue in the TT Sub is AMAZING in person.

However already owning a Sub Date and LV, I think that the new inovations on the GMT Anniversary, and not owning a GMT, is why I would go for the GMT II Anniversary.

Resident Audemars Piguet Fanatic
Spencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2007, 05:05 AM   #15
Prince
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona/Sub/GMT/DJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer View Post
...However already owning a Sub Date and LV, I think that the new inovations on the GMT Anniversary, and not owning a GMT, is why I would go for the GMT II Anniversary.
Based on that comment, I think the GMT-Master II Anniversary is your next watch!
Old 1 April 2007, 07:40 AM   #16
Mr. K
"TRF" Member

I like the TT blue sub, but go for what speaks to you.

I really like the ceramic bezel of the GMT.

Tough choices but you can't go wrong either way.
Mr. K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2007, 09:16 AM   #17
peejay
"TRF" Member

Well, I've got both of these watches... after a lot of deliberation I decided to get a SS GMT II and visited my AD to try a couple on and decide what colour bezel to get. I then saw the blue TT sub and tried it on "just for the hell of it" expecting it not to appeal - at which point I fell in love with it and bought that instead of the GMT. Learning point #1 - you have to go and see the watches in the flesh, try them on and see what grabs you.

I still wanted a GMT to wear when travelling, and I got the Anniv GMT TT a few months later. I mostly wear the GMT during the week and the sub at weekends.

My experience / opinion - they are both great watches. I think that both look good with a suit and tie or with more casual clothes. I find the GMT gets noticed more, which surprises me a little. And the GMT looks a lot bigger on the wrist despite being the same 40mm diameter.

Have fun deciding - I'm sure you'll be happy with whichever you choose!
peejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2007, 09:58 AM   #18
msjasa
"TRF" Member

Hi All,

This is my first post here. I have four Rolexes including the TT blue sub, GMT II TT anniversary (just receive as a birthday gift from my wife), SS white dial daytona (2004 vintage) and the Seadweller. I really like all the new features of the GMT. The ceramic bezel, trip lock crown, solid gold links and new clasp features are fantastic. This what has some heft to it and feels very solid on my wrist. I simply looks fantastic. I think it's the heaviest of my collection.

My only complaint about the TT blue sub is the hollow gold center links and clasp. That being said, these two watches TT sub and GMT are seeing the most wrist time for me. Both are very different watches and have their own distinctive look and feel. I really like the stunning blue dial on the sub. When I compare the Sub with the GMT, the GMT seems to overpower (in terms of size) the Sub. The dial on the sub looks smaller next to the new GMT (due to the mew maxidial).

I wear my Seadwller as a back up when diving as I am a scuba instructor. I have worn all my watches in all types of situations....dressed up / down and shorts with flip flop (I'll be in Kauai next week and will take the GMT). In my opinion, they all work well no matter what the the dress code is.

This is a great forum and I look forward to more visits

Regards

Mark
msjasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2007, 02:37 PM   #19
Blue Bull
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by msjasa View Post
Hi All,

This is my first post here. I have four Rolexes including the TT blue sub, GMT II TT anniversary (just receive as a birthday gift from my wife), SS white dial daytona (2004 vintage) and the Seadweller. I really like all the new features of the GMT. The ceramic bezel, trip lock crown, solid gold links and new clasp features are fantastic. This what has some heft to it and feels very solid on my wrist. I simply looks fantastic. I think it's the heaviest of my collection.

My only complaint about the TT blue sub is the hollow gold center links and clasp. That being said, these two watches TT sub and GMT are seeing the most wrist time for me. Both are very different watches and have their own distinctive look and feel. I really like the stunning blue dial on the sub. When I compare the Sub with the GMT, the GMT seems to overpower (in terms of size) the Sub. The dial on the sub looks smaller next to the new GMT (due to the mew maxidial).

I wear my Seadwller as a back up when diving as I am a scuba instructor. I have worn all my watches in all types of situations....dressed up / down and shorts with flip flop (I'll be in Kauai next week and will take the GMT). In my opinion, they all work well no matter what the the dress code is.

Regards

Mark
Mark,great choice of four !!

How often do you wear the SS Daytona ??
Old 1 April 2007, 02:47 PM   #20
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Hi All,

Regards

Mark

Great first post, Mark....and a big welcome to TRF. That's a fantastic collection you have there. Post some pics when you can.

Cheers - JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
Old 1 April 2007, 03:02 PM   #21
msjasa
"TRF" Member

JJ - I would wear my Daytona just about everyday until I received the GMT. I've taken the Daytona around the world on business trips and always find time to stop by an AD. Turns out the SS Daytona are just as difficult to get in Paris and Hong Kong as they are in the US. The TT blue sub would be worn on the weekends. I really like the GMT and ability to keep track of time around the world. This is a very useful and practical watch as my business takes me all over

Guess I need to post some photos as soon as I get some time to figure out how it's done.

Regards,

Mark
msjasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2007, 03:04 PM   #22
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
JJ - I would wear my Daytona just about everyday until I received the GMT. I've taken the Daytona around the world on business trips and always find time to stop by an AD. Turns out the SS Daytona are just as difficult to get in Paris and Hong Kong as they are in the US. The TT blue sub would be worn on the weekends. I really like the GMT and ability to keep track of time around the world. This is a very useful and practical watch as my business takes me all over

Guess I need to post some photos as soon as I get some time to figure out how it's done.

Regards,

Mark
Thanks, Mark. As far as pics are concerned, just open up a FREE account by clicking on www.photobucket.com and save all your pics there.

Once you've done that, all you need to do is copy and paste from the IMG of the picture you wish to post on this forum. It's easy.

Good luck - JJ

Old 1 April 2007, 05:06 PM   #23
Alex Stylianou
"TRF" Member

Four Words : Two Tone Blue Submariner
Alex Stylianou is offline   Reply With Quote