The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 31 March 2007, 08:10 PM   #1
azahid
"TRF" Member

Best way to clean Submariner case?

Hi All,

I've had the Submariner for a couple of months now and I am wearing it every day. I cannot resisit the pleasure of it around my wrist.

I have washed it a couple of times now just to keep it shiny. I have used a soft toothbrush and some warm water and soap. I have noticed a few light minor scratches on the case. What can I do (apart from stopping using the toothbrush) to try and minimise these or are these on the watch for life?

Thanks for any advice.

Akhtar
azahid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2007, 09:08 PM   #2
mike
"TRF" Member

Honestly, I don't think you can keep light scratches completely away. Thats just use. I don't worry about them on a watch I wear every day. At service Rolex will polish and buff to like new.

I use a very mild soap and lukewarm water on ocassion and just rinse. I don't normally use a toothbrush-just my fingers.
After drying I use a little canned air(like for computer keyboards) and blow out the bracelet and endlinks.
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2007, 09:08 PM   #3
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by azahid View Post
Hi All,

I've had the Submariner for a couple of months now and I am wearing it every day. I cannot resisit the pleasure of it around my wrist.

I have washed it a couple of times now just to keep it shiny. I have used a soft toothbrush and some warm water and soap. I have noticed a few light minor scratches on the case. What can I do (apart from stopping using the toothbrush) to try and minimise these or are these on the watch for life?

Thanks for any advice.

Akhtar
Afraid minor scratches are just a fact of life when wearing any watch.And not much anyone can do about it.Just keep it clean like you have been doing is all thats needed.When your watch is due for a service,RSC will return your watch looking as new.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2007, 09:48 PM   #4
Alcan
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: your P's & Q's
I've found this to be the most effective method of removing light scratches from the case and bracelet. Use a smooth, even stroke in one direction for the best results.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Grinder.jpg (47.3 KB, 159 views)
File Type: jpg Grinder_sparks.jpg (78.7 KB, 157 views)
Member #1,315

I don't want to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol IS a solution!
Alcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2007, 10:52 PM   #5
wildsidemtb

Watch: Sea Dweller, 5512
Just wear it, rolex watches are made to be worn, seems like most of the guys on this site look at them I never take mine off...ever
wildsidemtb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2007, 11:35 PM   #6
fat-sam
"TRF" Member

Watch: Reverso Duoface
my DJ is too old to risk it but i always wear my watches in the bath and pat them dry after with a towell
Old 1 April 2007, 05:48 AM   #7
watchnut
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Daytona & TT DJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcan View Post
I've found this to be the most effective method of removing light scratches from the case and bracelet. Use a smooth, even stroke in one direction for the best results. .
Do you really have to use a hand grinder for this? I used a bench grinder and now my watch is running outside of COSC specs. I mean WAAAAY outside!
watchnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2007, 06:04 AM   #8
v8sam

Watch: 16618
You could try cape cod very good for light scratches, Be careful not to be used on brushed parts
v8sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2007, 07:20 AM   #9
Alcan
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: your P's & Q's
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchnut View Post
Do you really have to use a hand grinder for this? I used a bench grinder and now my watch is running outside of COSC specs. I mean WAAAAY outside!
Well, there's your problem. Most bench grinders aren't COSC certified.

Use a hand grinder with thermal torque stabilization, negative capacitance sine wave generator, multi-reactive vibration damping harmonics, and beer holder. Here's a sample of the results I've been able to achieve. I think it turned out rather well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SDinAccident 2.jpg (57.4 KB, 106 views)
Member #1,315

I don't want to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol IS a solution!
Alcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2007, 07:35 AM   #10
Mr. K
"TRF" Member

scratches = character just part of ownership.

Not to worry if you get too many you can always get them buffed/brushed out.
Mr. K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2007, 07:37 AM   #11
mike
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcan View Post
Well, there's your problem. Most bench grinders aren't COSC certified.

Use a hand grinder with thermal torque stabilization, negative capacitance sine wave generator, multi-reactive vibration damping harmonics, and beer holder. Here's a sample of the results I've been able to achieve. I think it turned out rather well.
Wow!! Why do I bother sending my watches to RSC when your work is of such quality!!
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2007, 09:10 AM   #12
BLSampson
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT Blue Submariner
I use Brasso on my GMT II SS and TT Blue Sub. The TT scratches easy. I tried the Brasso and it removed all but the deepest scratches. It takes some elbow grease but in 10-15 minutes, you can have a new looking watch.
BLSampson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2007, 02:39 PM   #13
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike View Post
Wow!! Why do I bother sending my watches to RSC when your work is of such quality!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2007, 05:20 PM   #14
Alex Stylianou
"TRF" Member

I find If I Keep my watch in a sink full of warm water , with a small bar of soad inside then rub the watch with a flannel some , get removed , but don't worry , you should just enjoy the watch as It was ment to be enjoyed
Alex Stylianou is offline   Reply With Quote